Kerbal Space Program 2 Announced for 2020

Announced at Gamescom yesterday morning:

Kerbal Space Program 2 is coming in 2020 for the PC, XBox One and PS4. According to information from the Official Page, the program is being rewritten from the ground up by star.theory--it seems that Squad is somewhat out of the picture but the original dev team for the original KSP is no longer at Squad.

Promised features include more parts, interstellar travel and multiplayer. Support of modding is supposed to be expanded as well since the developers plan to open up more things that can be modded in the game. Fans are a bit nervous, of course, but from the developers video, it seems to be going into good hands. I hope that this will be a worthy sequel to a great game.

Cinematic Trailer:

Developer's Story:

Scott Manley's first impression:

i am *EXTREMELY* skeptical of this, the garbage around the breaking grounds expansion did not sit well with me, switching from "all future updates for free" to "hey look, paid DLC" tastes a bit sour.

also, few things about this announcement that dont sit well with me include:

- KSP "1" still doesnt have propper controller support, it just loves screwing up on analog axis.

- "interstellar travel" sounds more like a checkbox than actually well considered content, given the math involved and the voodoo they had to perform to fit a single solar system into variables a normal computer can process.

and with all this, there seems to be a lack of truly "v2.0" content, besides all the buzzwords you need for an educational hit game.

i'm gonna take the waiting approach on this one. if it's good, props to the devs.. but i fear it'll be spintires mudrunner all over again: a remake of a game too recent for a remake, that lost the essence of the game they remade without adding any value.

I can understand skepticism with the sequel but the optimist in me hopes that this will be a good progression of the game. Rewriting it from the ground up may fix major issues but can also introduce new ones. I also forgot to mention that Private Division (Take Two) is the other big name behind this and that may or may not be a good thing.

I will wait to see what happens with this new release as well. I love the original and I can hope for a worthy successor. If they botch it I know the fans will let their displeasure be known.

AFAIK the purchasing of the dev studio only lead to bad things. Paid DLC and no real attention to bugs. The first game still crashes all the time, and I refunded because I couldn't play more than half an hour. Maybe fix what feels like an early access game before moving on? 

That's an F in the profile pic

2 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Maybe fix what feels like an early access game before moving on? 

not the same studio that is working on KSP 2 as KSP 1. 

KSP 1 is still under development at squad. 

3 hours ago, Froody129 said:

AFAIK the purchasing of the dev studio only lead to bad things. Paid DLC and no real attention to bugs. The first game still crashes all the time, and I refunded because I couldn't play more than half an hour. Maybe fix what feels like an early access game before moving on? 

Strange. I've not had a single crash I could put down to anything other than mods since the latest releases. :/

Hopeful for KSP2. Will have to wait and see. ?

[edit]

Hahahaha. Just had a crash. :P

tbh the thing that excites me the most is the addition of multiplayer

21 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

havent had any issues with 1.5.1 and beyond. 

other than the usual kraken shenanigans when doing stuff the obviously isnt going to work. there are offcourse a lot of glitches that can be exploited as seen by Danny 2462 on youtube. 

7 minutes ago, Nowak said:

tbh the thing that excites me the most is the addition of multiplayer

wonder how on earth that is gonna work with how rockets work atm. 

there is modded multiplayer for KSP 1, but lets just describe that as interesting

Just now, GoldenLag said:

there is modded multiplayer for KSP 1, but lets just describe that as interesting

Only one way to find out!

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

New codebase means they can add it in. I would be hoping servers (though on console no chance). However, would expect at the least the base building to sync up. I would assume for the other solar systems, it will "jump to", IE, use a load screen, and estimated trajectory, and remove fuel used, then load up the next solar system with your interstellar craft.

You don't need to simulate everything realtime, and can abstractify some of it. The time warp/skipping would be hard, but could be done with a voting system "jump ahead and meet with player" kinda thing. Then only do realtime multiplayer when both craft/players are in the same area.

1 minute ago, TechyBen said:

You don't need to simulate everything realtime, and can abstractify some of it. The time warp/skipping would be hard, but could be done with a voting system "jump ahead and meet with player" kinda thing. Then only do realtime multiplayer when both craft/players are in the same area.

current modded multiplayer uses timezones. so if one warps, the others can then select to sync with the other person. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

current modded multiplayer uses timezones. so if one warps, the others can then select to sync with the other person. 

Yep. Otherwise the easy thing is just to share content/experiences and have 1 player control 1 Kerbal/ship/rover local to the other. depends how deep down the rabbit hole they want to go. :P

1 minute ago, TechyBen said:

Yep. Otherwise the easy thing is just to share content/experiences and have 1 player control 1 Kerbal/ship/rover local to the other. depends how deep down the rabbit hole they want to go. :P

they might just decide to skip multiplayer alltogether. 

the real question is how much is left of the old game. 

if its built from the ground up new, or using the same principles but recoded, or just taken the entire engine with them and give the game a new paint. 

Wasn't the issue with this game they also integrated a lot of spyware like crap into the game later in its life?

Just now, GoldenLag said:

they might just decide to skip multiplayer alltogether. 

the real question is how much is left of the old game. 

if its built from the ground up new, or using the same principles but recoded, or just taken the entire engine with them and give the game a new paint. 

Dev team have shown it's still in unity, but new from the ground up. New terrain and render engine. No idea about the physics/gravity/orbit specs yet. They may not have got that far.

MP should be easy. As said, either local controls (someone also flying the same ship :P ) or downloaded ship content off Steam Workshop etc.

8 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Dev team have shown it's still in unity, but new from the ground up. New terrain and render engine. No idea about the physics/gravity/orbit specs yet. They may not have got that far.

they talked about binary systems in the dev video. and unless they really do some spicy stuff with the gravity fields in the game. that never gonna work. 

currently its all on rails, some mods have expanded upon this, but pretty much everything in KSP runs on rails. 

edit: like the Magic boulder which was located in a polar orbit around ike as an easteregg. it was on rails and a buggy mess that may or may not detonate anything that touched it

48 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Binary can be simplified, but yet, a true 3 body/n-body is different from a 2 body (fast) on rails SOI system.

Dev interview: Confirming some new stuff:

7 hours ago, Froody129 said:

AFAIK the purchasing of the dev studio only lead to bad things. Paid DLC and no real attention to bugs

I mean, at least this time its actually a game studio creating the game. Not a marketing firm.

17 minutes ago, The Smokin Deist said:

This is good news--KSP2 won't have microtransactions, loot boxes and won't be an Epic Store exclusive.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/kerbal-space-program-2/epic-exclusive

i don't even care about the game but i'm glad its not an EGS exclusive. EGS has made me quit gaming since Dec 2018.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

On 8/20/2019 at 7:09 PM, manikyath said:

i am *EXTREMELY* skeptical of this, the garbage around the breaking grounds expansion did not sit well with me, switching from "all future updates for free" to "hey look, paid DLC" tastes a bit sour.

Honestly I think the best part of the announcement is the fact that it's by a different studio. Granted, that doesn't mean that it will be default be treated better than the first game, but considering how little of a fuck Squad seems to have given about the actual playability of their game, I think a change of dev but with access to the same base tech could be a good change of pace. 

And if not, oh well, it's not like anyone was really expecting a full sequel anyway. 

I don't believe that graphics quality

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 hours ago, Waffles13 said:

Honestly I think the best part of the announcement is the fact that it's by a different studio. Granted, that doesn't mean that it will be default be treated better than the first game, but considering how little of a fuck Squad seems to have given about the actual playability of their game, I think a change of dev but with access to the same base tech could be a good change of pace. 

And if not, oh well, it's not like anyone was really expecting a full sequel anyway. 

basicly all of what you said reminds me of spintires mudrunner. different studio is nice in theory, but in practisce they forgot what the vibe of the game *should* be

11 hours ago, williamcll said:

I don't believe that graphics quality

You shouldn't. It's a cinematic trailer after all.

But, I do expect the graphics and textures to be improved compared to the original game.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)