Google Removing Functionality From Nest Cam Hardware via a Patch

Great work google! My 2 month old and 3 year old need an LED shining in their face at night when they try to sleep. Burglers need to know when a security camera is recording their activities. AND Users need to have functionality removed from their hardware without their consent!

Recently, we shared our commitment to privacy to outline how our products work in your home. As part of that commitment, we explained that you will always see a clear visual indicator when your Nest cameras are on and sending video and audio to Nest.

So we’re changing how the status lights function on Nest cameras, Dropcam, and Nest Hello. You will be able to dim the light on your camera, but it will always be on when the camera is on. We’re doing this to make sure you, and those around your camera, are aware when the camera is on and recording.

Starting today, we’re rolling out the following changes: 

• In Settings for all Nest cameras and Nest Hello, the ability to turn off the status light will be removed. Instead, you’ll be able to dim the status light. When the camera is on, the status light will glow green. 

• For Dropcam, the setting to turn off the status light will be removed. When the camera is on, the status light will glow blue. 

• On Nest Cam, Dropcam, and Nest Hello, the status light will blink when the camera’s live video is streamed from the Nest app. The setting to turn this off will be removed. 

We’re making these changes for greater transparency and privacy in your home. You can learn more about the status light updates here. 

If you have questions or need additional details, please contact support. 

- The Google Nest team

Hum... "Contact Support" option?     ?

15 minutes ago, duncannah said:

No way to block it using tape?

It sucks you can't turn the light off but yeah not much to complain about, just cover the LED's with electrical tape lol.

Support told me that it's their new privacy policy and the blob of text above is the note google is sending out. They have no intention of retracting. It's got a very nice thread going now in reddit. 

Request a full refund for initial MSRP since it no longer does what you bought it to do.  if they say no, talk to a class action lawyer specializing in consumer rights.

Seems fine to me

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I had nest camera's in Australia so bad... its always a blocky mess uploading to servers in the USA.

Got Ubiquiti's now the 1080p camera's are so clear. i'd probably say the Nest Camera's in Australia upload at 480p.

A light on is bettter than a light flashing though...

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

and FACEPALM!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

One more glowing light isn't really going to make much of a difference, especially if it's fairly dim, which it looks like it's going to be.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

I don't get what's with all this moaning and bashing. Do you guys just moan and bash at anything and everything.

I don't have Nest, so why is the light constantly on, not a good thing. What is the purpose of that light?

Is it to tell if someone is

1. Recording

2. Monitoring

3. Remotely watching

4. All 1, 2, & 3

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

I don't get what's with all this moaning and bashing. Do you guys just moan and bash at anything and everything.

I don't have Nest, so why is the light constantly on, not a good thing. What is the purpose of that light?

Is it to tell if someone is

1. Recording

2. Monitoring

3. Remotely watching

4. All 1, 2, & 3

the only downside i see is if you use it for your doorbell and someone you dont like comes so you try to pretend you are not home but they see the light

12 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

the only downside i see is if you use it for your doorbell and someone you dont like comes so you try to pretend you are not home but they see the light

Is the nest a doorbell/cam or just a camera?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Is the nest a doorbell/cam or just a camera?

theres a doorbell version

Haha I'm still using my panasonic BL 131C

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1. This seems to be so that people can't just record people without them knowing.

2. Just use tape, paint, or even 3D print something that can cover the lights. It's not that big of a deal.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

1. This seems to be so that people can't just record people without them knowing.

For the most part, if recording on your own private property, there's no legal requirement to let people know they are being recorded.

5 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

2. Just use tape, paint, or even 3D print something that can cover the lights. It's not that big of a deal.

It can be easily fixed, but why should they have to? If Google is worried about liability, just make a confirmation that double checks whether the user actually wants to disable the light.

I read the Reddit post and there were quite a few legitimate reasons for wanting to disable the light, including using it as a baby monitor, door bell cams, home security (not wanting to draw attention to the camera, etc).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The bottom line is more of a consumer protection issue. When you buy hardware with a feature set advertised. A company should not have the right to remove features from something you paid for without consent. It's basically vandalism of private property. It doesn't really matter whether you like that they are doing it or not. It really comes down to alteration without consent or permission. If you purchased a video card with the expectation that you could overclock it and 2 months later the manufacturer released a bit of firmware that locked it to 5% below your stock purchase clock because it increased the longevity of your card would you approve?

Or a more apt example if a phone manufacturer was found to be under-clocking phones to "preserve battery life" without the consent of the users? I think we have a real problem in the USA and somewhat less so the rest of the world when it comes to consumer rights protections. You can argue "why are people whining" but when something that is a feature in a device you care about and paid for is taken away without your consent would you be fine with it?