What would you do?

Here's the scenario:

You're invited by your friend(s)/colleague(s), not necessarily very close, to the birthday party of their young child and you have accepted their invitation.  Due to either their religion or culture or just simple beliefs the host family does not consume alcohol at all and you are aware of this fact.  Though they decide to have the party in a public park so that the children (of other guests) who will be coming to the party can have fun, they have informed all invitees that the party will be non-alcoholic.  What do you do?

1. You attend the party and abide by their request that there will not be any alcohol served and even though you are a person who cannot go a single day without drinking at least 1 glass of wine you will endure being non-alcoholic for a couple of hours.
  2. You decide not to go.
  3. You tell yourself that the party is being held in a public location and they can't tell you what to do or not do, you decide to bring a bottle of alcohol.
  4. You tell yourself that the party is being held in a public location and they can't tell you what to do or not do, you decide to bring a bottle of alcohol disguised as a bottle of soda or something. (Essentially similar to No. 3 but with an added twist).

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

It’s easy: I’d respect their wishes if I went or not go at all. I’m not a dickhead and I don’t drink alcohol so it’s easy for me to respect the wish of having a non-alcoholic party.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

25 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

It’s easy: I’d respect their wishes if I went or not go at all. I’m not a dickhead and I don’t drink alcohol so it’s easy for me to respect the wish of having a non-alcoholic party.

I personally agree with you too, and I do drink.  I would go and respect the wishes of the hosts.  I have this one friend going around telling people that the couple hosting the party for their child has no right to ban alcohol because the party is being held at a public venue.  And this friend has supposedly studied international relations and political science in school and has also given lectures on said subjects.

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

If it is a big deal to go a couple hours without a drink then something tells me they need way more than at least one glass of wine a day.

If it is their kid's party and they are asking the person to attend then there is really no point to show up if the person in question can't abide by their wishes. That said, it's dumb to ask someone not to drink in a public place and I would never do that to someone. Don't force your beliefs on other people.

frankly: Easy answer.

1. It's a kid's birthday party and in a public place...

2. Of course it's non-alcohol

3. I accepted to come knowing it would be a non-acohol party

4. Of course, as I've accepted I won't drink alcohol...

I mean... It's a KIDS party...

I just don't understand what the question is exactly...

I don't drink much, but even if I did I would do my absolute best to show sober and leave sober.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 hours ago, Cora_Lie said:

frankly: Easy answer.

1. It's a kid's birthday party and in a public place...

2. Of course it's non-alcohol

3. I accepted to come knowing it would be a non-acohol party

4. Of course, as I've accepted I won't drink alcohol...

I mean... It's a KIDS party...

I just don't understand what the question is exactly...

basically this

is there some kind of rule that you must get drunk if you attend a party or something?

if you don't like it, you can always just not attend or after party go somewhere you can drink all you want

20 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

20 hours ago, Cora_Lie said:

14 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

13 hours ago, RyomaSJibenG said:

8 hours ago, seoz said:

My view is simple: while the event is indeed taking place at a public venue and not in private property like a house, the event itself though is a private event being hosted by the family and they do have the right to dictate or request that guests abide by certain conditions.  They are not telling people to give up drinking for the rest of their lives.  It would be the same as if it was a wedding and everyone was informed or expected to wear something formal and not show up in a Hawaiian shirt, shorts and sandals.

The friend I mentioned in my previous comment was going around trying to get people to support her decision to go with Option 4 saying she was going to bring wine disguised in a soda bottle

Haha, who drinks at a kids party? I mean, I'd drink if I had to attend my sister's kids party, but that's only because I don't like kids.

I had to go to a friends 18 year old sister's birthday...I count that as a kids party. And there too, I was most definitely drunk.

They allow public drunkenness and drinking where this is taking place? I'd have assumed that's not even allowed.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Haha, who drinks at a kids party? I mean, I'd drink if I had to attend my sister's kids party, but that's only because I don't like kids.

I had to go to a friends 18 year old sister's birthday...I count that as a kids party. And there too, I was most definitely drunk.

They allow public drunkenness and drinking where this is taking place? I'd have assumed that's not even allowed.

It's Europe, minimum drinking age is a bit lower than in the US and as long as you're not acting disorderly you can drink in a public park.

I don't understand why the premise is that I would attend the birthday party of some kid. Why would I do that? If it's a kids party, there's no point for adults to hang around, too.

Personally, I would abide by their wishes. If it really mattered that much to you, you could have a drink beforehand or leave before the party's end to grab something to drink. As the party is for their kid, and the parents specifically requested no alcohol, it would be disrespectful to show up to their event with alcohol.

2 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

It's Europe, minimum drinking age is a bit lower than in the US and as long as you're not acting disorderly you can drink in a public park.

Interesting. Still, I think it'd be really awkward to be the only one drinking. Then again, I see it as more of a social thing. If that person needs to drink to be out and about, they likely have a substance abuse problem, whether they want to admit it or not.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 8/14/2019 at 12:10 AM, LaFemmeEnVert said:

Here's the scenario:

You're invited by your friend(s)/colleague(s), not necessarily very close, to the birthday party of their young child and you have accepted their invitation.  Due to either their religion or culture or just simple beliefs the host family does not consume alcohol at all and you are aware of this fact.  Though they decide to have the party in a public park so that the children (of other guests) who will be coming to the party can have fun, they have informed all invitees that the party will be non-alcoholic.  What do you do?

1. You attend the party and abide by their request that there will not be any alcohol served and even though you are a person who cannot go a single day without drinking at least 1 glass of wine you will endure being non-alcoholic for a couple of hours.
  2. You decide not to go.
  3. You tell yourself that the party is being held in a public location and they can't tell you what to do or not do, you decide to bring a bottle of alcohol.
  4. You tell yourself that the party is being held in a public location and they can't tell you what to do or not do, you decide to bring a bottle of alcohol disguised as a bottle of soda or something. (Essentially similar to No. 3 but with an added twist).

If you cant go a single day without alcohol then you should be getting help with your alcoholism, thats really not a good way to be. If you cant abide by their wishes stay the hell away and dont risk ruining the party over something so stupid like alcohol.

If you need alcohol just take a drink before hand, but I'd say respect their wishes.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

I'm underage anyway.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Thanks for the responses, I asked because I wasn't sure whether the social rules and etiquette I was raised with were the norm in this day and age or whether things have changed.  I've been accused of being "patronizing" or toxic for following the rules of etiquette my parents raised me with and I see my peers do and behave how ever they want whether they are in a formal or informal situation.  At my current age, I spent nearly 65% of my life growing up part of a diplomatic family experiencing different cultures, social rules, etiquette and protocol and I work in a very international city.  And I encounter people who think only their culture or social rules are "correct", especially people from certain western countries and usually from people younger.

I wouldn't go, simple as that.

Hard enough with alcohol, imagine it without... children really isn't my strong.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Blow up on FB over it and show the world how much of a dirtbag you really are imo

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I'm amazed that the question even had to be asked.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Bold of you to assume I have friends or colleagues.

Spoiler

I would probably go and just not bother drinking, I have a horrid habit of putting quite literally everything before my self.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

7 hours ago, wasab said:

Alcohol tastes like urine. Please stop drinking piss. 

Fireball would like to know your location.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

it's okay to not drink, i guess. im not a heavy drinker and i only do beers. i would carry some my of favourite asian pops to them. it's their party, dont make a scene about it.

but the real thing is, i hate public gathering esp parties like this. i would politely reject their invitation if you have the choice.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!