Elder Scrolls No More - New US Bill to proposed to ban Infinite Scrolling and Autoplay

rcmaehl

I'm ok with this purely on the basis of going to a website for an article only to be Scared shitless by an Obscenely loud video I had no intention of playing.

1 minute ago, Gullerback said:

I'm ok with this purely on the basis of going to a website for an article only to be Scared shitless by an Obscenely loud video I had no intention of playing.

this^ is what they should ban. not autoplay as a whole but at least make it so it has to default to off.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

The Internet is akin to Huxley's Soma in Brave New World. 

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

2 hours ago, Twilight said:

WHYYYYY

youtube autoplay is a godsend. i don't want to get up from bed to manually click the next video :( 

Autoplay is fucking cancer. I once watched youtube in bed. And it continued to play shit for freaking 7 hours and I could see the horrors later in the watch history later. Now that I purged my Youtube account I most certainly don't want it. Luckily someone made uBlock filter list that removes everything but the video and its summary/notes. No recommended shit, no autoplay, no comment section. Just video that I want and that's it.

10 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Autoplay is fucking cancer. I once watched youtube in bed. And it continued to play shit for freaking 7 hours and I could see the horrors later in the watch history later. Now that I purged my Youtube account I most certainly don't want it. Luckily someone made uBlock filter list that removes everything but the video and its summary/notes. No recommended shit, no autoplay, no comment section. Just video that I want and that's it.

just turn it off? why should they remove features that you don't like? just turn it off. 

this is the same as me writing a complaint to microsoft how i don't like the taskbar, and them saying ok fine we'll delete it, while i could just have turned it off in the settings. 

She/Her

one of the few regulations i'd be alright with but seems utterly pointless and a waste of regulation ink

How is this any different than a coffee pot that is set to brew a pot every morning at a set time? Is that not supporting addictive behavior?

Auto play is an invention of convenience, are they going to ban remote controls for television as well? It's literally the same thing for me as auto-play just makes it so I don't have to get up to click a button on my mouse to go to the next video in a series on YouTube or Netflix.

Seriously out of all the things wrong in society this is the foremost thing they can spend god knows how much money on proposing.

I swear if these people was on a battlefield being stormed by blood thirsty soldiers armed with chainsaws they would be "oh a penny we need to ban those on the battlefield"

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

So...another country is getting nanny states.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Aza Raskin, the guy who came up with infinite scrolling, deeply regrets doing so. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i-m-so-sorry-says-inventor-of-endless-online-scrolling-9lrv59mdk

BBC goes a bit more in-depth about how it is habit-forming. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44640959

The thing about infinite scroll is this : When you reach the end of a page in a multi-page thread, you consciously make a decision whether you go to the next page or not.  With infinite scroll you just keep on scrolling and your brain never gets that signal that triggers you to decide if you want to continue reading or do something else instead.  So you just keep on reading far more than you normally would.  Even those who claim they have no problem with it would waste far less time.

So yeah, I'm all for banning it.  As for those who don't like the government telling them what they can and cannot do, feel free to drive without a seatbelt, ride without a helmet, and be sure to use plenty of asbestos and lead-based paint in your houses. 

2 hours ago, imreloadin said:

How is this any different than a coffee pot that is set to brew a pot every morning at a set time? Is that not supporting addictive behavior?

Auto play is an invention of convenience, are they going to ban remote controls for television as well? It's literally the same thing for me as auto-play just makes it so I don't have to get up to click a button on my mouse to go to the next video in a series on YouTube or Netflix.

Remote control? I thought people were too damn lazy to bother and just shout commands at the idiot box these days.

Just now, Curious Pineapple said:

Remote control? I thought people were too damn lazy to bother and just shout commands at the idiot box these days.

Ah, Good old RFC 2324

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

19 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

The thing about infinite scroll is this : When you reach the end of a page in a multi-page thread, you consciously make a decision whether you go to the next page or not.  With infinite scroll you just keep on scrolling and your brain never gets that signal that triggers you to decide if you want to continue reading or do something else instead.  So you just keep on reading far more than you normally would.  Even those who claim they have no problem with it would waste far less time.

Maybe when I am looking through a 16 page forum thread full of engine swap images I'd like to just be able to whizz up and down without trying to remember what page the details of the spigot bush were on ;)

26 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Then why not have a button at the bottom of the page saying "load more stuff"?

6 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Public servants work for us, we tell them what to do. 

It's cute that you think that.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 hours ago, Twilight said:

WHYYYYY

youtube autoplay is a godsend. i don't want to get up from bed to manually click the next video :( 

I do wish it were off by default though, maybe that is all this is going to bring.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

It's cute that you think that.

Well, it's how things are supposed to work, yes?

6 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

The thing is, they're not wrong...

But I disagree strongly with any laws that aim to tell me what I can and can't do "for my health."

I think it’s more to do with the rise of addictive content in social media: clickbait material, stuff like fortnite engineered to be addictive etc.

As long as auto play works on

YouTube playlists, go for it. Generally the algorithm on regular non-playlist videos is shit

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Aza Raskin, the guy who came up with infinite scrolling, deeply regrets doing so. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i-m-so-sorry-says-inventor-of-endless-online-scrolling-9lrv59mdk

BBC goes a bit more in-depth about how it is habit-forming. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44640959

So yeah, I'm all for banning it.  As for those who don't like the government telling them what they can and cannot do, feel free to drive without a seatbelt, ride without a helmet, and be sure to use plenty of asbestos and lead-based paint in your houses. 

my computer is slow enough that I have to sit there for a second and then I decide. So maybe just bottleneck it?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Woah now, I sleep with Youtube on because I hate a completely black out room and prefer to fall asleep watching boring educational content.

Leave that autoplay alone. Autoplay ads however can die in a fucking fire.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Ah, Good old RFC 2324

Kuerig not close enough for you?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

My question. How are they gonna enforce this exactly.Because they might be ab;e top ban site from providing such content to the US, but thats all it will do, and well VPN's exist for a reason. nevermind that people will probably code up their own browser extensions that turn paged content into autoscroll and youtube playlists into autoplay and so on.

Plus add have been ignoring no autoplay for ages, plenty of ad companies ban such adds on their platform but some still slip through. A webcomic i follow used to have massive issues with inappropriate adds of all kinds turning up despite the ad company not officially supporting them.

5 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Kuerig not close enough for you?

Never

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor