Elder Scrolls No More - New US Bill to proposed to ban Infinite Scrolling and Autoplay

rcmaehl

Source:
The Verge

Summary;

The Social Media Addiction Reduction Technology (SMART) Act wants to ban infinite-scroll and autoplay. Claiming to be a cause of Social Media Addiction.

Media:
image.jpeg.9bdab2da19a246136a986647db4f8425.jpeg

Quotes/Excerpts:

Snapstreaks, YouTube autoplay, and endless scrolling are all coming under fire from a new bill...targeting the tech industry’s “addictive” design. The SMART Act, would ban these features that work to keep users on platforms longer, along with others, like Snapstreaks, that incentivize the continued use of these products. The Federal Trade Commission and Health and Human Services could create similar rules that would expire after three years unless Congress codified them into law. “Big tech has embraced a business model of addiction,” Hawley said. “Too much of the ‘innovation’ in this space is designed not to create better products, but to capture more attention by using psychological tricks that make it difficult to look away.” Deceptive design played an enormous part in last week’s FTC settlement with Facebook. [The] bill would make it unlawful for tech companies to use dark patterns to manipulate users into opting into services. For example, “accept” and “decline” checkboxes would need to be the same font, color, and size to help users make better, more informed choices. A former Google design ethicist, explained how platforms create products to increase the amount of time users spend on a site. “If I take the bottom out of this glass and I keep refilling the water or the wine, you won’t know when to stop drinking,” Harris told the committee. “That’s what happens with infinitely scrolling feeds.”

My Thoughts:

While I'm all for no autoplay for any content, I doubt that it with completely resolve the issue as content creators will just switch to Click-Bait and other methods to attract people to manually play the videos. Infinite-Scrolling on the other hand, I'm on the edge about. When it comes to sites like Reddit infinite-scrolling is useful as there's not much I actually engage with, just lots of lurking and those communities I do engage with usually are out of new content within one or two pages. Finally, some communities are already use a forum or  forum-esque design and won't be affected. Can the internet handle going back to those designs though?

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Is autoplay the cause of addictive behavior, or a symptom? I feel like auto play and scroll features were implemented simply to conform to the way users were already using the platforms

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Contact the people who authored the bill and tell them to get a real job. They obviously don't know how to be a public servant. 

Public servants work for us, we tell them what to do. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

The title had me worried the Elder Scrolls franchise would be no more.. that's... An enticing title I guess.

As for the infinite scrolling thing, I would want to stop be able to manually turn on what I want, since I like the YouTube recommended stuff.

But to be honest, I don't think this would be the solution to the problem.

I think Nintendo's way of every once in a while giving you a notification of "hey, you might want to do something else, other than gaming all the time" would likely work even better.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I don't like these rules at all. There are much more important issues that need to be fixed, and they concentrated on infinitely scrolling feed? The issue itself lies somewhere else.

23 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

“If I take the bottom out of this glass and I keep refilling the water or the wine, you won’t know when to stop drinking,” Harris told the committee. “That’s what happens with infinitely scrolling feeds.”

That is just straight up a stupid sentence. This is something on the im14andthisisdeep level. It sounds smart if you don't think about it, but the more you think about it, the stupider it gets.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

I think it depends on the user and the app. I think infinite scroll is nice to have, and while I spend a fair amount of time on my devices, it's something I can put down. 

Imo this is trying to plug a leaking ship with your fingers. The problem is caused by something else. 

I believe the average social media time for teenagers is 9hrs and something minutes. That's a crazy amount, and indicates a problem imo. This is not how to solve it, though. People should be able to manage themselves 

That's an F in the profile pic

9 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

That is just straight up a stupid sentence.

How do you drink the wine with no bottom on the glass?

giphy.gif

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Don't care about either... though to be fair I kinda dislike infinite scrolling and autoplay... I just wish you had options rather being enforced a single way.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

11 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I believe the average social media time for teenagers is 9hrs and something minutes. That's a crazy amount, and indicates a problem imo. This is not how to solve it, though. People should be able to manage themselves  

I officialy hate my own damn generation.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

24 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Whats so hard about just directing all social media sites to 127.0.0.1 on DNS servers?

List, please, all social media sites, so that I may do just this.

(Good luck, everything these days has a bit of social media baked into it)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

16 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I think it depends on the user and the app. I think infinite scroll is nice to have, and while I spend a fair amount of time on my devices, it's something I can put down. 

Imo this is trying to plug a leaking ship with your fingers. The problem is caused by something else. 

5 minutes ago, will4623 said:

I officialy hate my own damn generation.

depends on how liberally they define social media. do they count youtube, twitch tv, this forum, online games like runescape, league of legends etc as social media? if they are just taking about facebook yes thats ridiculous but if all of those also fall under social media then its not as bad

Just now, spartaman64 said:

depends on how liberally they define social media. do they count youtube, twitch tv, this forum, online games like runescape, league of legends etc as social media? if they are just taking about facebook yes thats ridiculous but if all of those also fall under social media then its not as bad

I think its bad to be on a device that long. at least the internet.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

What about Discord? Messenger? Skype? Imagine having to click between pages of 1-on-1 conversation. 

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Back to TV then as there is no autoplay there...... wait.

I was going to comment but this fire comment was already here.

Perfect example

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

6 minutes ago, will4623 said:

I think its bad to be on a device that long. at least the internet.

are there bad effects to health etc yes but to me personally it was worth it because some of my best friends i have today i made playing mmos and some of my best memories were playing with those friends if i lost 10 or 20 years off my life because of my time on my computer so be it i wouldnt trade those friends or memories for anything

Just now, spartaman64 said:

are there bad effects to health etc yes but to me personally it was worth it because some of my best friends i have today i made playing mmos and some of my best memories were playing with those friends if i lost 10 or 20 years off my life because of my time on my computer so be it i wouldnt trade those friends or memories for anything

Oh kay. it is bad for me and I until recently wasn't allowed to chat in video games so my view has that. isn't worth it to me tho.

I don't mind as generally the one time I find myself endlessly-scrolling is Reddit, and even then I only scroll through content for about 10 minutes before I get bored.

As for autoplay, I never use the feature since I don't hang around on YouTube long enough for the autoplay to work in my favor.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

10 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

Even if you say it's all screen time, it's still a huge amount of your day. And for some people it's a problem that they are not equipped to deal with. 

You're proving my point; we shouldn't go off limiting the people who can control it as well. We should be focusing on teaching kids in schools how to manage their time and interact with the world around them. Unfortunately the education system in most countries encourages precisely the opposite, but that's another argument 

That's an F in the profile pic

47 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

List, please, all social media sites, so that I may do just this.

(Good luck, everything these days has a bit of social media baked into it)

Start with the big bois and most of the harm is gone

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

If youtube autoplay gets banned my life is going to get a lot more annoying.

This is stupid. Focus on actual problems you worthless wannabe politicians.