Help, My roommate is evil.

My roommate is evil. He is just tech savvy enough to block my computer from certain websites, most notably youtube (Nooo!). He has blocked me from websites because "I'm taking up too much bandwidth" and "he lags when he plays LoL". We live in an apartment together at college. If I choose to watch youtube to relax in between classes I should be able to. Right? I pay rent. I deserve the internet just as much as he does. But no I affect his crummy video game. If he really wants to play it I would browse less demanding websites, but he chooses to ban me outright instead. He owns the router and therefore has a chokehold on what I can do on the internet. At the begining of the year he set up a whitelist so that I could even use the router. This means that he has my computer's IP and he can set it up so that when my IP tries to connect to youtube it denies me access.

Any tech solutions would be appreciated, but I'm not limiting responses to tech solutions, devious revenge ideas would be fun too.

My roommate is evil. He is just tech savvy enough to block my computer from certain websites, most notably youtube (Nooo!). He has blocked me from websites because "I'm taking up too much bandwidth" and "he lags when he plays LoL". We live in an apartment together at college. If I choose to watch youtube to relax in between classes I should be able to. Right? I pay rent. I deserve the internet just as much as he does. But no I affect his crummy video game. If he really wants to play it I would browse less demanding websites, but he chooses to ban me outright instead. He owns the router and therefore has a chokehold on what I can do on the internet. At the begining of the year he set up a whitelist so that I could even use the router. This means that he has my computer's IP and he can set it up so that when my IP tries to connect to youtube it denies me access.

Any tech solutions would be appreciated, but I'm not limiting responses to tech solutions, devious revenge ideas would be fun too.

Get a network switch to the router, if he disconnects it brake his shit and say he came at you and his shit was broken the process then get a new room mate 

Yea like what @Jogostar said access your router by typing your IP in the URL access bar (Most likely 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2) then have username Admin and password your wireless password (Depends on router though)

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Get a new router and BAM.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Yea like what @Jogostar said access your router by typing your IP in the URL access bar (Most likely 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2) then have username Admin and password your wireless password (Depends on router though)

Any smart user will not let their wifi password be the same password as the router password.

Buy an identical router to his. Replace it when he's not there. Enable QoS and set it to where his IP gets priority. If he was smart and nice, he would've done it that way. It will slow Youtube down for you, but not ban you outright. 

Or if you can figure out how to get into the router, just do it there and remove the Youtube restrictions.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Kill him, and then feast upon his flesh and drink of his blood.

But seriously, the best thing to do is get to the root of the problem. You pay the rent, so kick that asshole out and get a better roommate for you.

But seriously, the best thing to do is get to the root of the problem. You pay the rent, so kick that asshole out and get a better roommate for you.

they probably share the rent, that's why he has a roommate I assume.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Better thing is throw all his shit out of the window and laugh maniacally at him when he sees the stuff

Get yourself a cheap Wireless N router, hook it up before his router, hide it, set it up as a hidden wireless network, and there you go. You'll have your own router free of his blocking and he has his.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

And then sleep with his sister, problem solved and when someone comes asking for him, say he went out to buy a new router..

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Couldn't you just put a password on your account?

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

@kyleGT92

I'm sure a lot of people are going through the same stuff you are. In your situation, he owns the router, so your access is dependent on his terms. If you both pay for the internet, then he needs to set it up where you are both limited to half the bandwidth. It's fair, but it isn't right. It shouldn't have to be like that. If he pays solely for the internet, you wouldn't be here asking this. You'd be on the phone with an ISP ordering your own connection. One of you needs to get their own connection, but that means one of you has to pay the other for their half. I believe it's against FCC regulations to censor the internet as of now. If he is your ISP, then sue him. I sued my last roommate and his girlfriend.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Make him mad by saying Dota 2 is better and never give any reason why. Take out his graphics card and piss on it and say you tried to give it personality and color.

"With every meeting, comes a parting. However, not every parting has to last forever."

he's not evil, he's actually more smarter than you.... its the TRUTH man!

Evil people are smart people with to much of a super big ego. He's clearly bitten more than he can chew.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Get yourself a cheap Wireless N router, hook it up before his router, hide it, set it up as a hidden wireless network, and there you go. You'll have your own router free of his blocking and he has his.

I like this idea. Do this---^

If you hate him enough to go "full revenge mode", here's what you do:

Hollow out a peanut butter jar with just enough peanut butter in it to look like it's completely full from the outside. Poop in it. Fill the rest of it with peanut butter. 

Try not to laugh while he eats it. Try to blame it on someone else when he realizes he's been eating poop for a while (the peanut butter will mask the smell and taste until he gets a good chunk of the poop). 

Or if that's too hardcore for you (or if he doesn't have a girlfriend), find out where his girlfriend lives and sneak in. It will be easier if you know her, obviously. Write this note: "Dude, this chick didn't tell me she had a boyfriend until the morning after. Sorry bro. I figured you should know." and tape it to the underside of her toilet seat thing. She'll never see it because women don't need to raise that thing unless they are cleaning, but guys should all the time. 

Or if that's too hardcore for you, tape the pressure sensitive firecrackers to the lid on the toilet he uses and wait for him to go number 2. 

Or if that's too hardcore for you, put some random legos in front of his bedroom door right after he goes to sleep. 

Or if that's too hardcore for you, right him a mean letter calling him all the things you know he's insecure about. Then sign it as his mother.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

they probably share the rent, that's why he has a roommate I assume.

Read again. (Edit: well actually I'm not sure if "I pay rent" means he pays ALL the rent and the roommate pays for other things. Either way, he's better off with another roommate)

Better thing is throw all his shit out of the window and laugh maniacally at him when he sees the stuff

No, I'm being serious. If he goes and do stupid shit, his roommate might even sue him. Better just tell him to screw off.

And then sleep with his sister, problem solved and when someone comes asking for him, say he went out to buy a new router..

If his roommate's sister is anything like the roommate, the guy is better off sleeping with an actual donkey than an ass. 

You are just going to have to come to some sort of agreement with him or get "rid" of him.

Just use a proxy. If he keeps being a douche than get your own router.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

After I type in the IP in the URL I need a Username and a Password. These would be setup by my roommate right? I have no way of figuring out that info. 

And throwing his stuff out the window isn't entertaining seeing as we live on the first floor. 

Proxys and VPNs won't work right? He has a whitelist set up. If the IP is disguised or changed it won't let me on the router.

Will a second router work? I bought one last year when I lived in the dorms. 

Just use a proxy. If he keeps being a douche than get your own router.

He said Whitelist.

After I type in the IP in the URL I need a Username and a Password. These would be setup by my roommate right? I have no way of figuring out that info. 

And throwing his stuff out the window isn't entertaining seeing as we live on the first floor. 

Proxys and VPNs won't work right? He has a whitelist set up. If the IP is disguised or changed it won't let me on the router.

Will a second router work? I bought one last year when I lived in the dorms. 

Can you get on any sites?

Changing your MAC address might be a possibility, unless he blocked all but his own.

Either way coming to some sort of an arrangement is the best solution, if your internet is that bad he's still going to notice.