Anyone seen this kind of scam before?

Fasauceome

TLDR what kind of scam involves a check that's way too big as payment?

So I'm selling my old monitor on Letgo, someone messaged me and offered $30 extra if I hold it for the weekend for them to pay me for it. They ask for my cell number so they can correspond better. They said they'd send me a check and after it cleared they'd come pick up the monitor.

The weekend passes with no word from the would be buyer, nor a check. I looked on Letgo and saw that their account was banned for suspicious activity. Huge red flag. I inquired about this and got no response.

A couple days later this person sent a photo of the envelope and said the check was made up, and it was on its way. I was not holding my breath on this deal anymore so I sad whatever 

Lo and behold, a check actually arrived today, but instead of $125, it was for $1998. I confirmed with the would be buyer, and yes, that was the "correct amount" but the buyer refuses to answer any questions about sorting out correct payment. What kind if scam is this exactly? It's painfully obvious that this person is trying to get some kind of personal gain by avoiding using cash or electronic payments like PayPal.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It's one of the oldest tricks in the book. Don't fall for it. Just toss out the check and carry on. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The long and short of it is that the buyer wants you to deposit the check then give them the monitor and their "change". By the time your bank has figured out that the check is fake and takes the money back from your account, the buyer is long gone. My response to any buyer request that involves taking a check or shipping the item is as follows:

giphy.gif

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

My response to any buyer request that involves taking a check or shipping the item is as follows:

giphy.gif

I did have a version of that at least. I told the buyer that the check won't be accepted as payment, that cash and PayPal are all I'll take now.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

19 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I did have a version of that at least. I told the buyer that the check won't be accepted as payment, that cash and PayPal are all I'll take now.

... The buyer?

They have absolutely no interest in buying your item. Their only interest is scamming you.

Block their number and relist the item for sale. Find someone else who is actually interested in the item and not your money.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

there's a whole series of him talking with scammers, it's quite interesting, but at the very least it will give you an idea of the scam you're dealing with

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Who uses checks anymore?

Never accept a check as a payment, it is not 1800s, checks are only used as scams now.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

3 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

there's a whole series of him talking with scammers, it's quite interesting, but at the very least it will give you an idea of the scam you're dealing with

Yeah I've watched his videos and they are good and informative even if the author is beyond stupid with his naivety (trying to convince scammers to give up their ways for some pocket change, yea right - or how he was so surprised that the woman who was scammed before didn't want to talk to him, gee wonder why she didn't want anything to do with a stranger who was calling her) ?

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

On 7/7/2019 at 1:32 AM, Origami Cactus said:

Never accept a check as a payment, it is not 1800s, checks are only used as scams now.

Well if my city water department held this mentality they'd never get paid. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

On 7/7/2019 at 4:47 AM, dizmo said:

It's one of the oldest tricks in the book. Don't fall for it. Just toss out the check and carry on. 

Yes, it is. Never trust someone that wants to send you a check haha

2 minutes ago, TheTallGuy said:

Yes, it is. Never trust someone that wants to send you a check haha

especially a check well over the agreed amount...

Just now, HarryNyquist said:

especially a check well over the agreed amount...

True

I have seen a few of these scams. Since it looks like their account was in the process of being blocked or the person had a bunch of scams going on at once he messed up talking to you. Normally how it works is ( DO NOT SCAM PEOPLE THIS IS FOR LEARNING):

1. pay by check.

2. Send check in a large amount over the items price

3. Tell seller you either messed up or the extra fees is to pay for shipping.

A. The "Shipper" is them or their friend.

B. They pay shipping.

4. Either way they get the item and the money difference between what the check stated (remember its over the item price listed) and the Item.

5. Check is fake and bounces now your down the full amount plus you no longer have the item. 

Always be suspicious of someone wanting to pay by check over the internet. There are many versions of these scams but this is the most Common I see happen. 

On 7/6/2019 at 11:32 PM, Origami Cactus said:

Who uses checks anymore?

my dad still uses checks to pay his bills and go shopping. and still balances his checkbook every week.

That being said, if you're buying or selling anything on craigslist, cash only. anything other than cash in hand is a scam

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Checks are good for large expenditures. I recently had my Shingles redone on my house and my credit card usually doesn't allow $5k+ single transactions. its great for keeping track of those. But other then those I am not sure I would ever use a check for anything...

1 hour ago, hammjoel said:

Checks are good for large expenditures. I recently had my Shingles redone on my house and my credit card usually doesn't allow $5k+ single transactions. its great for keeping track of those. But other then those I am not sure I would ever use a check for anything...

You can usually call your bank/credit union and tell them you're about to make a large purchase around x time on y day, they will usually lift your upper limit if you explain yourself correctly.

That's what I did when I had eye surgery, had a 1k limit on my debit card, called my bank, got it unlocked. It helps if you know exactly how much it will cost.

As for being paid with a large check, yeah, it's a scam. Quite common on "local listings" like graigslist or kijiji. Get sent a larger check, they ask for the balance and the item, you retract the money (I personally wouldn't be able to since a check is usually 100% "frozen" in my case until it fully clears), give them everything, bank notice the check bounced, suddenly you're $2k in the crapper and you don't have the item anymore.

Like the others have said, never accept a check. Only instant transfers like e-interact, paypal or cold hard cash.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 7/7/2019 at 2:32 AM, Origami Cactus said:

Who uses checks anymore?

If I were to follow your advice, I would be without power or water. But those would be secondary concerns because I would also be homeless. And I wouldn't be able to bitch to my shrink about it, because she doesn't take plastic.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

As someone who used to work in the cheque clearing department of a major bank (UK bank - so the details about cheque clearing would be different compared to the US), but as others have said, don't do it. It's basically a variation on the good old 'advance fee fraud' that the 419ers from Nigeria love.