is Linus a technician?

jamesm.92
Go to solution Solved by dual290x,
1 minute ago, jamesm.92 said:

thats understandable am looking into Technician programs i like the idea of fixing my own shit building pcs too and just learn work on them! I continue to learn more like what to do in a BSOD things like that technology fascinates me and other then use them i wanna be able to know components 

The best advice I learned is this: internship/volunteering and work at the ground level in the nastiest job, if you love it there you will love it at any level. If you can do either one, you will get first hand experience. Is it worth it? Money wise... no, future wise... hell yes. Because you will get first hand experience and will be able to tell if it is for you. Also, you could learn more in the field than in a classroom. I learned basics from working (most time for free) for my dad. That fueled my desire to learn more and created a base.

Create scenarios without actually breaking things. Do yourself a favor and try to learn how to program. Hardware is easy to understand, software is a monster all by its self. I thought I understood things when I took a basic Pythin course.. I knew jack$hit.

for my understanding hes a dropout from a 2015 post is he really a level 1 IT or is there more to it 

Linus has a doctorate in thuganomics.

I think there is more to it. Even if he is a dropout, so has many other successful people. You could not be a level 1 IT and have the understanding and success that he has. That is just my 2 cents.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

3 minutes ago, dual290x said:

I think there is more to it. Even if he is a dropout, so has many other successful people. You could not be a level 1 IT and have the understanding and success that he has. That is just my 2 cents.

thats understandable am looking into Technician programs i like the idea of fixing my own shit building pcs too and just learn work on them! I continue to learn more like what to do in a BSOD things like that technology fascinates me and other then use them i wanna be able to know components 

1 minute ago, jamesm.92 said:

The best advice I learned is this: internship/volunteering and work at the ground level in the nastiest job, if you love it there you will love it at any level. If you can do either one, you will get first hand experience. Is it worth it? Money wise... no, future wise... hell yes. Because you will get first hand experience and will be able to tell if it is for you. Also, you could learn more in the field than in a classroom. I learned basics from working (most time for free) for my dad. That fueled my desire to learn more and created a base.

Create scenarios without actually breaking things. Do yourself a favor and try to learn how to program. Hardware is easy to understand, software is a monster all by its self. I thought I understood things when I took a basic Pythin course.. I knew jack$hit.

ORLY?

You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

3 minutes ago, dual290x said:

i do like tinkering i learn by touch other then a text book isn't  thats Computer technician level 1 or 2 my mom told me about TVI hope it still around its technical vocational institute somewhere in the usa and of course i could take a program 

26 minutes ago, RobFRaschke said:

With a minor in physics as it pertains to the effects of gravity.

And their practical applications

If it's just for personal interest Google is your friend.  If you're looking to start a career, then formal education is certainly your best bet.

For me personally, I was taught by a friend how to put a computer together at age 12.  After that I am completely self taught, and in 20 years have never come across a problem that I could not solve myself with the help of the internet.

25 minutes ago, jamesm.92 said:

i do like tinkering i learn by touch other then a text book isn't  thats Computer technician level 1 or 2 my mom told me about TVI hope it still around its technical vocational institute somewhere in the usa and of course i could take a program 

Save yourself some money and go to a local vocational/tech/community college. Work some and go to a university. I have seen this with my own eyes.

My dad hired this one kid who literally hacked into the high school's computer system and changed his friend's and his own grades. Dad was thoroughly impressed and saved him from getting almost expelled from school. He took him under his wing, got him in his computer class and hired him right out of high school. Pushed him in to the local university and he got his degree. He was then sent on dozens of trips to get his certifications. After years of hard work, constant learning, and sentences laced with vulgar he was hired by the local hospital and is now almost manager of the whole IT department.

College can teach you a lot, certifications running out of your ears and the ability to prove that knowledge.... priceless. GET YOUR CERTIFICATIONS, it will mean the difference between a basic job at a mom and pop shop/being the runner at a local hospital, and being able to run the whole dam# department at the hospital.

ORLY?

Computer science and technology are still a place where someone with no formal education can still learn a lot and do a lot.  Having a 4 year degree will however be a great move.  Anything beyond that, a MS EE or Comp Sci will set you apart.  Anything beyond that and you enter academia... which means less money but more security.  Pick your poison. 

Doing around with systems is not really that hard, what always gets me is the networking fuckery. So much weird shit that you never ever encounter or deal with on individual home PC's. But for corporate mainframes, servers and shit, it's a lot of that. So you really need to learn that specifically and intentionally.

Does it matter? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, dual290x said:

That is bit different. Linus has no professional experience from working with tech in deep sense. At NCIX he was doing marketing, warehouse managering (whatever its called) and building PCs. Nothing really technical there. He hasn't said at any point that he would have done customer returns or fixed PCs while in there. At LMG he's still more reviewer/critic with enthusiast take on servers and networking, both where he has admitted of being newbie without professional experience. Which is why there's always someone who knows more when they do those things (Anthony with servers for example).

You are quite correct that education doesn't mean one automatically has more knowledge, but Linus has neither. No education and no professional experience.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

That is bit different. Linus has no professional experience from working with tech in deep sense. At NCIX he was doing marketing, warehouse managering (whatever its called) and building PCs. Nothing really technical there. He hasn't said at any point that he would have done customer returns or fixed PCs while in there. At LMG he's still more reviewer/critic with enthusiast take on servers and networking, both where he has admitted of being newbie without professional experience. Which is why there's always someone who knows more when they do those things (Anthony with servers for example).

You are quite correct that education doesn't mean one automatically has more knowledge, but Linus has neither. No education and no professional experience.

I think we need to draw two distinctions here.    Expertise is relative

Compared to average Joe Schmoe and Jane Sixpack... Linus and most all of his employees are most definitely experts.   The truest sign of that is that they are expert enough to not call themselves that. 

Compared to someone with a BA/BS in their specialties they would probably be about equal.  Lots of schools give credit for the kind of experience that Linus would have by now.  Just having a business of this magnitude would get him a BA and part of the way to a MBA almost instantly.   Within two years of effort.   Just my humble opinion....

Of course compared to people with MS or PhD in comp sci or engineering.... they aint' fabricating new silicon or imaging black holes or modeling the big bang with a 1080 Mathematica and CUDA using their own theory of everything...  So they aren't on that level.   They don't need to beAlmost no one needs to be.   (That level of expertise does not get paid that well. IME.) 

What college does is get you over mount stupid quickly. 

Image result for Dunning Kruger effect 

He's certainly over mount stupid and does not look like he's in despair. 

He makes videos about consumer electronics and gaming PCs.  He worked in consumer electronics sales/marketing and has built gaming PCs.  Seems like a good matching of skills and position. 

1 hour ago, Gmoneyinthebank said:

He makes videos about consumer electronics and gaming PCs.  He worked in consumer electronics sales/marketing and has built gaming PCs.  Seems like a good matching of skills and position. 

Oh no... I spoke too soon... He's live trying to reassemble the camera he ruined.

On 6/21/2019 at 1:15 PM, jamesm.92 said:

for my understanding hes a dropout from a 2015 post is he really a level 1 IT or is there more to it 

He is a entertainer and his videos and reviews and opinions should be taken as such.

However he does have great business acumen and the level of which can only be seen when other channels visit LMG and make a video about it. This is very impressive to be honest and some details can be lost to casual viewers who can't grasp how hard it is to get to that level - specially in such short period and before his 40s…

Oh and he surrounds himself with people who knows more than he does in every other aspect - he's got Anthony, Jon, Alex and even Riley that I would argue is a better entertainer than he is. That's what smart people do, surrounds themselves with smart(er) people.