When to give notice of quitting job? Employee review coming up..

lazershark

Hello everyone,

I am moving to another city, and planning to leave my job in about 6 weeks. I currently have a full time job. My relationship with my current job and bosses is good, everyone likes me and my work.

It is customary at my job to give about 2 weeks' notice of quitting. But I live in an "at will employment" state, so theoretically you can quit / be fired with zero notice.

I have my yearly employee review coming up next week, so about 6 weeks before I intend to leave the job. Now I am struggling with this:

- Do I tell my bosses that I am going to quit during my yearly review, so 6 weeks in advance? (leading to awkwardness for 6 weeks on the job, potential immediate termination (although unlikely).

OR

- Do I pretend I am staying during my yearly employee review (basically lie) and then give the customary 2 weeks' notice (also awkward, as they will likely point out I could have given them more notice during my yearly review).

Neither option seems appealing to me, but I am leaning towards giving more notice. I feel like my bosses would appreciate having more time to find a replacement, transfer my current responsibilities to someone else, etc. But theoretically it is more risky for myself, leads to more awkwardness on the job for longer, etc.

What would you do?

Thank you!

probably tell them now

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Stick to custom and wait until 2 weeks before. That way it doesn't affect you and others work before you leave. When you announce it, tell your manager/whoever is responsible only. Don't go informing all your coworkers.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

52 minutes ago, lazershark said:

Hello everyone,

I am moving to another city, and planning to leave my job in about 6 weeks. I currently have a full time job. My relationship with my current job and bosses is good, everyone likes me and my work.

It is customary at my job to give about 2 weeks' notice of quitting. But I live in an "at will employment" state, so theoretically you can quit / be fired with zero notice.

I have my yearly employee review coming up next week, so about 6 weeks before I intend to leave the job. Now I am struggling with this:

- Do I tell my bosses that I am going to quit during my yearly review, so 6 weeks in advance? (leading to awkwardness for 6 weeks on the job, potential immediate termination (although unlikely).

OR

- Do I pretend I am staying during my yearly employee review (basically lie) and then give the customary 2 weeks' notice (also awkward, as they will likely point out I could have given them more notice during my yearly review).

Neither option seems appealing to me, but I am leaning towards giving more notice. I feel like my bosses would appreciate having more time to find a replacement, transfer my current responsibilities to someone else, etc. But theoretically it is more risky for myself, leads to more awkwardness on the job for longer, etc.

What would you do?

Thank you!

I would suggest you inform your boss immediately, and say you would love to help train your replacement during the weeks before you move. 

Also write a formal letter detailing the reason why you are quitting and when you intend your last day to be. 

Six weeks gives them time to put out ads for your replacement, and also once they interview and hire someone, it gives you time to give them some training before you leave. 

Your boss would be a moron if they fired you for quitting instead of taking advantage of the advance notice you’re giving them. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I was in a similar position and based on my experience I'd definitely recommend you wait.

Had a great relationship with everyone as well, but my boss was being really unfair to me once I had informed him that I was going to leave (earlier than legally required). Team meetings were awkward since they didn't want certain things to be known by someone who'd soon work for someone else and colleagues were very cold and uninviting to me from that point onward.

Granted, people are different and I'd like to believe that your relationship with your boss and colleagues is better than mine was, but be careful. I would've never expected that sort of treatment back then, mainly because we were a small tight-knit company, but sometimes it's hard to estimate people's reactions correctly.

@lazershark from a professional standpoint it would be best that inform your employer now since you know for sure you are leaving. And then give your official notice at the 2 week point.

This will do 2 things for you 1. It will make your employer impressed and more respectful towards you (unless they are a total dick) 2. It will almost guarantee a good reference for your next employment. Since you are giving plenty of time for replacement to be found and trained. 

I employ people so this is coming from both my experience of leaving jobs when i was younger and hiring employees today.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Tell no-one until you have to. Give them precisely the notice you have to, no more, no less.

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I...Your boss would be a moron if they fired you for quitting instead of taking advantage of the advance notice you’re giving them. 

Sadly, many bosses are morons. Also, keep in mind that a boss' first responsibility is to the company, not the employees. If they find a suitable replace emt before the end of six weeks who doesn't require much or any addditional training or the additional training can be done by the boss or another employee who is not leaving soon, you may find your redundant and let go early. I've had it happen and have seen it happen.

2 hours ago, Kevaros said:

I was in a similar position and based on my experience I'd definitely recommend you wait.

Had a great relationship with everyone as well, but my boss was being really unfair to me once I had informed him that I was going to leave (earlier than legally required). Team meetings were awkward since they didn't want certain things to be known by someone who'd soon work for someone else and colleagues were very cold and uninviting to me from that point onward.

Granted, people are different and I'd like to believe that your relationship with your boss and colleagues is better than mine was, but be careful. I would've never expected that sort of treatment back then, mainly because we were a small tight-knit company, but sometimes it's hard to estimate people's reactions correctly.

This. With one exception, I always gave two weeks notice although once I wound up being let go early. A couple of times, though, I almost didn't get a replacement job because the new employer didn't want to wait the entire two weeks (I never quit a full time job unless I had another one lined up first).

The last job I ever worked (before retiring for keeps), I gave only two days notice to make sure the employer didn't try to screw me out of accumulated vacation time by firing me before I could get paid for it. I just took my remaining vacation and waited until payroll had been submitted for the payroll so they would have had some " 'splainin' " to do to HR if they tried it after it was submitted (the heat was on me and two other employees to get us to quit because we refused to do some of the illegal things the boss wanted us to do). The only reason I just didn't fail to show up when I was due back to work was the employee working the shift before me would have had to work a double and he didn't deserve that.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

59 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Sadly, many bosses are morons. Also, keep in mind that a boss' first responsibility is to the company, not the employees. If they find a suitable replace emt before the end of six weeks who doesn't require much or any addditional training or the additional training can be done by the boss or another employee who is not leaving soon, you may find your redundant and let go early. I've had it happen and have seen it happen.

This is true that this can be a risk - but if you've been a fairly longstanding employee in good regard, I would simply trust my boss to do the right thing.

And if you end up being let go early? So be it. At least you've got a new job lined up anyway. If your state has the equivalent of unimployment insurance, take advantage of it until the new job starts.

59 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

This. With one exception, I always gave two weeks notice although once I wound up being let go early. A couple of times, though, I almost didn't get a replacement job because the new employer didn't want to wait the entire two weeks (I never quit a full time job unless I had another one lined up first).

The last job I ever worked (before retiring for keeps), I gave only two days notice to make sure the employer didn't try to screw me out of accumulated vacation time by firing me before I could get paid for it. I just took my remaining vacation and waited until payroll had been submitted for the payroll so they would have had some " 'splainin' " to do to HR if they tried it after it was submitted (the heat was on me and two other employees to get us to quit because we refused to do some of the illegal things the boss wanted us to do). The only reason I just didn't fail to show up when I was due back to work was the employee working the shift before me would have had to work a double and he didn't deserve that.

Extremely unfortunate that people need to do stuff like this - or that your boss would even ask you to do something illegal.

This is why employee standards laws are crucial, and states that lack these (or otherwise have "at work" type laws where you can be fired for no reason) are bad for employees, and only serve to give the employer all power in the relationship.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If you aren't sure how your employer will react, just do the two weeks. 

Especially do not give notice unless you have already accepted a new job offer! A lot can happen in 6 weeks. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

Just now, jake9000 said:

If you aren't sure how your employer will react, just do the two weeks. 

Especially do not give notice unless you have already accepted a new job offer! A lot can happen in 6 weeks. 

That's true - make sure to have the offer in writing, with all the details.

I would suggest looking up your countries laws. If you give notice that you're leaving and they fire you, you can likely sue them for wrongful termination and they would have to pay out much more than a few weeks wage

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

I would suggest looking up your countries laws. If you give notice that you're leaving and they fire you, you can likely sue them for wrongful termination and they would have to pay out much more than a few weeks wage

The OP lives in the US, in an “at work” state. Basically that means there are no protections. He can be fired for any reason, so long as it’s not federally protected (such as being fired for your race, sexuality or religion). 

If everyone likes you there it's probably not a bad idea to give a good amount notice.  If you can leave on good terms it usually means you have a chance to come back if you ever need to and you also can get references for future jobs.

There's nothing to feel bad about if you only plan to turn in a two weeks notice.  There is a risk involved and depending on your line of work you can be let go as soon as you put in your notice.  If you're OK with not having a job until you move and start your new one then let your boss know now.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

On 6/9/2019 at 11:43 AM, dalekphalm said:

I would suggest you inform your boss immediately, and say you would love to help train your replacement during the weeks before you move. 

Also write a formal letter detailing the reason why you are quitting and when you intend your last day to be. 

Six weeks gives them time to put out ads for your replacement, and also once they interview and hire someone, it gives you time to give them some training before you leave. 

Your boss would be a moron if they fired you for quitting instead of taking advantage of the advance notice you’re giving them. 

This is pretty much the standard.  Some do and don't require a formal letter or will have you do one through a survey be professional in it and honest. 

Two weeks notice is the standard and what I would stick with for reasons mentioned above.  Though if they do like you and find a replacement before the six weeks and let you go after training transitioning you are already moving to another city/position anyway so I wouldn't sweat that too much.

Bottom line

1) be professional and honest

2) give at least 2 weeks notice

3) document and help as much as you can for the new guy or whoever comes in after you

• 4 weeks later...

I've recently handed in my notice at my place of work and I'm coming up to the final day (This Friday woop woop), I have experienced now awkwardness, no coldness, not even people being annoyed with me for it, same with my previous job, so I personally don't understand where the issue lies, for them to fire you for handing in your notice is ridiculous, I've heard some fucked things from jobs but never that, in fact in my last job I even pulled my manager aside a month before I handed my notice in saying I might be leaving and he was like cool just let us know when possible, I don't think you should have anything to worry about at all, especially if you get on with everyone, if anything they'll just be gutted to see you go and enjoy their last few weeks working with you, what I've had from a few people this week, so I'd say just hand it in when you're ready really, same applies to anyone as I know I'm a bit late to this thread aha  

On 6/9/2019 at 10:48 AM, lazershark said:

What would you do?

Two week notice is the industry standard. I would just give them that. Write up a letter of resignation and present it to your boss two weeks before you ready to go. Keep in mind that your boss might decide to let you go early. 

On 6/9/2019 at 12:52 PM, WihGlah said:

ell no-one until you have to. Give them precisely the notice you have to, no more, no less.

Yeah dude if you had read hes in an "At Will" employment state. Your not required by law to give shit. At will employment means the Employee or Employer can end the employment relationship at any time for no reason at all. Giving notice is about being courteous to your employer. Allowing them to find someone to take your place. Also many companies require this to be rehired at a later data. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 minutes ago, comander said:

"At-will" as in "at-will employment"

Your premises are correct though. It's sad that you, as a Canadian, know more about US employment law than most Americans your age. 

My mistake on the terminology mix up, but as you say, I'm Canadian ;).

The frank truth is that most people don't know how labour laws work, regardless of where they live.

I gave them 4 months notice. Because I'm the only IT guy, I wanted to give them time to find another one and help train the new guy.

They appreciated it a lot.

Literately got a pay raise and am training the new guy.

I think they want to keep me :P 

If you're in an at will state I would definitely wait until the latest moment to give notice.  Otherwise it's likely they just fire you early

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

My mistake on the terminology mix up, but as you say, I'm Canadian ;).

The frank truth is that most people don't know how labour laws work, regardless of where they live.

I do not But I should. ?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

On 6/9/2019 at 10:48 AM, lazershark said:

Hello everyone,

OR

What would you do?

Thank you!

The 'right' thing to do is tell them during your review. However, there are a lot of jackass employers out there who will just let you go. If you feel you have a good relationship then they should respect you giving 6 weeks notice and be a good reference for future employment.