Company reliance on the "industry standard" software (thoughts?)

I've noticed a trend of one piece of purpose built software usually dominates its comercial market

• Video/Photo editing = Adobe CC
  • 3D modeling = Autodesk
  • C family IDEs = Visual Studio Enterprise/Pro

Why don't more major companies use free alternatives to these softwares? (BlackMagic, Blender, Eclipse, ETC)

They can spend the money, to increase employee pay, increase benefits, company vacation, etc 

I'm curious what you guys think about this

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

I think if the software is actually good, then it's worth paying for. And giving employees quality tools (software) to use is also a perk for them, and I don't think savings on software will ultimately net much more benefits for employees.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

If it costs $500 for a licence for a year, that's about $2/work day. It doesn't take much of a workflow improvement for that to be a worthwhile investment for the company.

For IDEs, the big benefit is things like autocomplete (intellisense) and integrated support for git, test frameworks, etc.

HTTP/2 203

Just now, colonel_mortis said:

If it costs $500 for a licence for a year, that's about $2/work day. It doesn't take much of a workflow improvement for that to be a worthwhile investment for the company.

For IDEs, the big benefit is things like autocomplete (intellisense) and integrated support for git, test frameworks, etc.

Im just coming at it from 500 bucks times 300 or so employees. It adds up

2 minutes ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

Im just coming at it from 500 bucks times 300 or so employees. It adds up

$500 * 300 = $150,000 per year, which is a lot of money for you or I. However, if those 300 employees are earning an average of say $30k per year, the company's salary expenses are $30,000 * 300 = $9,000,000 per year. For a company, that $150,000 cost is not particularly large, and means that they get more work out of their employees (and more work per $ than hiring more employees to make up for the deficit).

HTTP/2 203

Just now, colonel_mortis said:

$500 * 300 = $150,000 per year, which is a lot of money for you or I. However, if those 300 employees are earning an average of say $30k per year, the company's salary expenses are $30,000 * 300 = $9,000,000 per year. For a company, that $150,000 cost is not particularly large, and means that they get more work out of their employees (and more work per $ than hiring more employees to make up for the deficit).

That makes more sense, thanks for doing the math

10 minutes ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

Why don't more major companies use free alternatives to these softwares? (BlackMagic, Blender, Eclipse, ETC)

Could be several reasons:

• It's what everyone else uses. As a employer you could potentially limit your pool of employees by not going with an industry standard.
  • Standardization of workflow. It's likely none of these alternative software suites have the same workflow as what's being used already. The cost to retrain everyone to a different workflow may not be worth it. It's not just the fact you have to retrain everyone, but they may not be producing anything useful while they're being retrained and the time lost to make up for the inevitable user errors on the way can stretch things out.
  • Lack of support. Companies like a level of support that they can rely on. Free software tends to lack that level of support. Or it comes in an equally expensive package.
  • The free alternative just isn't that great to begin with. A common complaint I hear about people who do image editing is GIMP is actually a terrible piece of software to use from a usability standpoint. No amount of money saved will overcome the time lost trying to actually use the program.

32 minutes ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

Why don't more major companies use free alternatives to these softwares?

Paid alternatives are usually better. And by a wide enough margin to justify corporate use of them but narrow enough that indie/small companies and hobbiests avoid them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Solidworks is much more common than autodesk.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I’m sure the company can write off those software licenses as business expenses and lower their overall taxes.

I’m not sure if that is how any of it works though 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

Standards are standards for a reason, but I would argue that Final Cut Pro is better than Premier Pro in every way.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Just now, SenpaiKaplan said:

Standards are standards for a reason, but I would argue that Final Cut Pro is better than Premier Pro in every way.

You'd be wrong. Premiere can be ran on more systems.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

There are thousands of Mac based AV places tho

2 minutes ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

There are thousands of Mac based AV places tho

And there are thousands that aren't.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

I was referring more to its more intuitive UI and highly superior software optimization, but.... yeah. FCP is macOS only. Will give you that.

I have never worked at an AV job where they didn't use macOS for their editing, but i have worked at some that used Premier on macOS. I wanted to tear my hair out every time.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Not to mention the support that comes with many of those. If a large company buys a license for one of those softwares, it's more then likely that if any problems occur with that software the developer would give fast support.

Now most of the free software alternatives are opensource. Sometimes they are used in companies, but heavily modified for their custom needs.