I find myself watching Linustechtips way less: Is it just me?

maartendc

Hi everyone,

I find myself watching Linustechtips less and less these days. I used to watch just about all of their videos a couple of years ago. 

I find the videos these days to be either:

- Over the top stuff that has no pratical use (7 gamers one CPU for example)

- For less-tech-savy users (explaining things I already know)

- Clickbaity titles / controversy that doesn't interest me

- Reviews (phones, laptops, GPU's) don't provide depth of info like some other channels do. Or the information gets lost in the memes & puns.

These days, I much rather watch Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed and Paul's Hardware. They provide actual down-to-earth, in-depth reviews and topics that I have a use for.

Just curious: Am I alone in this? Has anyone else been turned off by the direction that the videos on the channel have taken in the past 24 months or so?

Maybe I am just getting old... seems like the direction the channel has taken is geared towards teenagers perhaps?

Thanks!

Yup I only watch them on occasion now but used to watch them regularly. I think it's also a kind of "tech-burnout" if you want. There's only so much to it like a new phone, new cpu, new graphics card and while there are no new releases it's pretty much the same old watercool this watercool that and maybe some hacksaw projects ^^

For me it was definitely a phase where everything that was new to me was exciting but now I don't even keep up with the naming schemes anymore and I just can't be bothered...

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

32 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Yup I only watch them on occasion now but used to watch them regularly. I think it's also a kind of "tech-burnout" if you want. There's only so much to it like a new phone, new cpu, new graphics card and while there are no new releases it's pretty much the same old watercool this watercool that and maybe some hacksaw projects ^^

For me it was definitely a phase where everything that was new to me was exciting but now I don't even keep up with the naming schemes anymore and I just can't be bothered...

That is definitely also part of it, a long drought between reviews tends to lead to more "watercool everything" type content. Not only at LTT.

However, my problem currently with LTT videos is also that, when new hardware does come out, the coverage of it is just kind of sub par. The review is usually geared towards inexperienced users, does not contain in depth benchmarking, fails to address all aspects of a product, etc. etc. The  reviews have just gotten kind of... bad. Information lost in the torrent of memes and puns.

I guess with the channel having grown so large, they are catering towards the lowest common denominator..

2 minutes ago, maartendc said:

That is definitely also part of it, a long drought between reviews tends to lead to more "watercool everything" type content. Not only at LTT.

However, my problem currently with LTT videos is also that, when new hardware does come out, the coverage of it is just kind of sub par. The review is usually geared towards inexperienced users, does not contain in depth benchmarking, fails to address all aspects of a product, etc. etc. The  reviews have just gotten kind of... bad. Information lost in the torrent of memes and puns.

I guess with the channel having grown so large, they are catering towards the lowest common denominator..

LTT is (and has been for a while) much more about entertainment than technical discussion. If you want more pure technical stuff, then watch Gamer's Nexus; they're pretty good. Personally, I like to have some of both, so I watch both. I also find some of the more crazy ideas (such as 7 gamers 1 CPU) to be conceptually and technically interesting (that video got me into virtualization), as they really demonstrate the power of the technology.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

I only watch it slightly less because I watch so many other channels as well.

its good to have choice 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

1 hour ago, maartendc said:

I find myself watching Linustechtips less and less these days. I used to watch just about all of their videos a couple of years ago. 

Same here, but possibly for slightly different reasons than others. I actually find LTT family of channels are the only tech ones I watch regularly nowadays. Entertainment is a large part of it, but I feel they've lost a lot of the "friends messing around" feeling by trying to be more professional about it. I think they were at their peak when they were still in the house. The only time I saw something like that in the modern era was the Mexico workcation. You saw the people as much as what they were doing.

Other tech channels I'm finding less interesting that ever, and I've pretty much stopped watching a bunch of them.

GamersNexus "everything sucks" attitude just drains the life from me. Even if justified, the tiresome presentation kills it.

Pauls Hardware, I like him as a person but his industry knowledge is lacking and painful if not misleading.

Kyle & Lyle at least remains entertaining in his way.

Hardware Unboxed, similar problems to GN and Paul. Love the test data, but conclusions suck.

Jayz... no comment needed.

Maybe should add that for a lot of scenarios, video isn't the best way to convey deep information if that is what you're after. At best it is time consuming. A well written text article is far superior if you want hard information.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

18 minutes ago, porina said:

GamersNexus "everything sucks" attitude just drains the life from me. Even if justified, the tiresome presentation kills it.

Pauls Hardware, I like him as a person but his industry knowledge is lacking and painful if not misleading. 

Kyle & Lyle at least remains entertaining in his way.

Hardware Unboxed, similar problems to GN and Paul. Love the test data, but conclusions suck.

Jayz... no comment needed. 

GN: I dont really agree that they just say everything sucks. They are definitely critical, but mostly justified where needed. I really like their in depth approach to benchmarking and reviewing. Steve's presentation is somewhat rattled usually (like he is trying to read a phone book as fast as possible), but I like him as a presenter mostly. He goes the extra mile in a review doing teardowns of graphics cards, power usage, etc.

Kyle from Bitwit: I just cannot watch him. So cringey. The guy just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Pauls Hardware I definitely like. I like his style, and his content is good. He does good build guides that are useful.

Hardware unboxed is really good in my opinion. They are technically well versed, their reviews are thorough. Not as thorough as GN, but not far behind. And I like the presenters Steve and Tim, they seem like good guys and seem to enjoy their work.

Jayztwocents: I liked his older stuff more. He has definitely gotten a bit too silly lately, too much watercooling, etc. His reviews are not great.

I guess you are right, an article is still way better. But video is just so much easier to digest. I have to admit my attention span is not as good as it used to be... In the age of Twitter and Instagram, it is hard to get people to sit down and read a 5000+ word article. Just the way things are going sadly.

Yes 100% watching it less.

Mostly because I have seen all the good, old, videos and only have the odd new one now. I binged for a while and now just catch the odd video.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

For me, it depends on the video's topic:
I am not a fan of smartphone reviews, so I often skip those. On the other side, I like PC hardware reviews as well as the more unusual stuff (7 gamers 1 CPU, "water" cooling with concrete, etc). I also really liked Channel Super Fun because it was entertaining and I also enjoyed seeing how well all the LMG employees seem to get along with each other. The whole work environment at LMG looks pretty appealing: lots of hard work and progress, but still a nice atmosphere and some freedom to try new things as well.
My absolute favourite is the Scrapyard War series.

i used to sub to floatplane and Vessel back in the day, I still have the phone app for it. but for the past few month, i have been watching less and less of them I even cancelled the floatplane sub

1 hour ago, greenhorn said:

My absolute favourite is the Scrapyard War series. 

I have to agree with that one. Simple concept, very entertaining. No clickbait, no lame memes, just good content.

Honestly, come to think of it: ever since Luke left to go do Floatplane, it went downhill from there. Luke was my favorite host / presenter by far. And his videos were just good, to the point, no nonsense.

Luke did good reviews of gaming peripherals too. Not the: "L00k @t what crap mouse / keyboard we bought on @liExpress OMG L0L"

All I have to say on the matter is that I miss Luke hosting videos.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

8 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

All I have to say on the matter is that I miss Luke hosting videos.

big papa luke sure is missed, tough the content has changed a lot aswell.

imo the production quality these days is absolutely stellar. like, most tv shows don't have this level of quality.

tough if you like this is personal preference i guess. 

21 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

big papa luke sure is missed, tough the content has changed a lot aswell.

Well here is the thing: Luke used to write his own material / stories, etc. So it is not only they lost Luke as a presenter, but mostly as a writer of good material / videos.

I don't know who replaced Luke as a writer, but... They miss him in more ways than they know.

I seldom watch LTT videos nowadays because I’m incredibly busy at the moment and in my opinion, it has became more of an entertainment channel (clickbait titles and thumbnails) than a tech channel.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

its not you watch less ltt video, its you watch more videos than you used to, so that the ratio of ltt video over others' is lower.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

I have but ots because my interwst have changed will I still like games and comput Ive gotten int other stuff like music.

I actually lile jos vodeos now they do something diffrent if you want to watch reviews on tech stuff go watch hardware canuck,hardware unboxed, gamers nexus, udc tech...and hundreds of others I ger bored with them because they all say the same information (except gamers nexus thank God) amd it gets boring

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |