Galaxy Fold Launch Event canceled

MrFixitBlankFace
7 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

PS, the link though is spot on! So the tech is progressing (same as say CPU etching tech). So quality + price can improve... Or will Dr Macintosh insists Apple still uses Tube Valves?

The first valves were very unreliable, so they probably gave up using them on grounds that the physics was against them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I will never be in the market for this, for the same reason I will probably never buy an iPad. 

if I want to do something that requires a bigger screen than my phone I 99% of the time also want a physical keyboard. and a desktop interface. 

MacBook + iPhone remains the best combo for me. 

She/Her

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

You are obviously not the targeted market atm but in some years when phones properly implement it you'll scream how you can't live without that functionality

Unlikely if the technology can’t last 2 days in the hands of real users.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

12 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Unlikely if the technology can’t last 2 days in the hands of real users.

If only we could improve technology through time. One can only wish. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

[Forget it. I give up. Random comments on my comments need not be replied to. I'm out.]

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

so do you look for 16:9 or 2:1 displays over 4:3? o_o kinda curious

Yes. I'd want a large 16:9 or 2:1 when unfolded, 4:3 is shit

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

All y'all who are calling the fold dumb are not the target audience. You can't step outside of your small little bubble. Whats really dumb is having to carry a phone and a tablet at the same time. Its literally one of the worst things. You can only do somethings on the tablet and only do something on the phone. It's the worst. 

I'm not going to get the gen 1 of these products but once we get some waterproofing I have an extremely easy time justifying this use case in the music industry. It's going to be so nice. Can finally throw out the stupid iPad and move to one device. 

If they only delay it by a month, it almost seems like samsung is just waiting for the news to go away before launching the same exact phone that’s breaking left and right

I’m not exactly sure why you would buy galaxy fold when huawei’s implementation just seems to be a generation ahead of samsung’s despite both being first gen product

9 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Imagine paying $2000+ for the Galaxy Fold when you can get a better experience for half the price. 

Seriously, pick your favorite smartphone (in my case the iPhone 8 Plus) and just buy an iPad. 

iPhone 8 Plus: $699 

iPad: $329

Total: $1,028

Boom, saved $1K and you have a way better user experience.

The technology behind folding displays is cool and should be developed more. But the concept of a folding phone is flawed. 

If you've ever had to have a phone and a tablet before youd know this isn't an option. 

You'll love it when apple come out with theirs. Can the haters just sit down and shut up. There are clearly people out there with a use for this tech.

I can save you even more than $1k. Never cut an apple product. 

37 minutes ago, xtroria said:

If they only delay it by a month, it almost seems like samsung is just waiting for the news to go away before launching the same exact phone that’s breaking left and right

I’m not exactly sure why you would buy galaxy fold when huawei’s implementation just seems to be a generation ahead of samsung’s despite both being first gen product

I think a month is enough for them to make the screen protector go to the edge of the screen so it isn't noticeable enough for people to be ripping it off.

But doesn't Huawei's implementation have a crease in the middle of screen when unfolded? IMO the screen on Samsung's implementation is better for video content.

10 hours ago, 79wjd said:

Let me just shove an iPad in my pocket. Yep, that'll certainly fit.

try folding it

1 hour ago, xtroria said:

I don’t like Huawei’s implementation, mainly because it’s just impractical.

I can see more going wrong with the display folding outwards, especially in terms of protection as the display will be exposed front-and-back and there won’t be any cases or screen protectors to protect the display from daily use and abuse. Not to mention that since the outer layer is most definitely plastic (since it can flex), it will be much easier to scratch.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I'm just waiting on the tech to get cheaper and more durable before I invest in a folding phone. I also am really scared about the battery life, I hope batteries get larger by using more space in the additional portion of the phone, though I know that oversimplifies things.

For the people who say that buying an iPad + any Phone is cheaper it misses the point entirely, when you want to have a bigger screen but don't want to deal with having to

A) Haul another device with you

B) Deal with the different data on another device

C) Bring a backpack or bag to carry it around

Then it would be fantastic. Sometimes I just want to pop out my phone and watch a movie or show, but being able to unfold it to get a bigger screen would be so convenient compared to having to go get a separate device which may not have the movie or show on the device in the first place. That issue actually kills me since I have incredibly slow internet (10 Mb/s barely cuts it for 720p in some cases, and that's when I am on my own, but I live with 4 other people who use the bandwith) and primarily buy my movies and shows rather than using something like Netflix.

Different use cases and different issues can be solved with the folding screen but regardless it depends on the person.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

Samsung Folds

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

3 hours ago, suits said:

You'll love it when apple come out with theirs.

I love how this is somehow an argument even though it makes 0 sense and probably insinuates something that’s against the community standards....

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

If only we could improve technology through time. One can only wish. 

The tech won’t get off the ground if it isn’t marketed successfully. Currently it’s very unsuccessful. 

And here I am loving my 10 year old smart phone that I dropped today on the concrete and...nothing went wrong (for the 1000th time)

Grandfathered into my original plan (with that phone only) @ $25 a month for unlimited calls, texts, 3g.

The largest difference is the pixel size when watching youpo...tube.  Youtube.  Its sort of like...back on dial up...its good enough yet leaves a lot to the imagination bwuahahahaha.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

7 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

This is one of the goals of foldable phones though. If you can have 1 device that does both jobs perfectly, then that is a better UX than always carrying 2 separate devices. Also in the long run, at some point in the future, it will probably be cheaper as well. This is more of a public concept than a launch ready device. 

This is the same when people complained way back on phones that had camera, headphone jack, etc. Why would you use those when you have much better dedicated devices? We saw how that turned out. People want simplicity. 

The issue, I'd say, is that Samsung and others are trying to promote this ideal one-device vision before it's really ready.  You have plastic screens that take damage if you so much as sneeze at them the wrong way.  Software only sometimes takes full advantage of the screen.  The display can't fold tightly enough to avoid a significant gap; it still has a crease.  Add the high price and the practical reality falls well short of the dream.

I think there will be a day when it'll be smarter to get a separate phone and tablet, but that day is not coming in 2019.

43 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The tech won’t get off the ground if it isn’t marketed successfully. Currently it’s very unsuccessful. 

When almost every big manufacturer is hyping it and announcing it left, right and center and some still patenting new designs, yes, it'll take off. 

26 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I think there will be a day when it'll be smarter to get a separate phone and tablet, but that day is not coming in 2019.

It's not coming in 2020, and probably even 2021 and 2022. This will take time. 

Btw I want a successful folding phone as well as all my other tablets and computers.

As a tech enthusiast, I want it all.

Eventually, folding screen tech will be common place.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

15 hours ago, 79wjd said:

Let me just shove an iPad in my pocket. Yep, that'll certainly fit.

It will.

The iPad mini ;)

Won’t visit often..

Here's the thing though.

I'm probably one of the biggest critics you'll find regarding the current implementation of foldable phones. I think Samsung's got the rough idea nailed down but it's obviously suffering from teething pains. Not unexpected but also no-less disappointing. And while I think Huawei's implementation is more CES-worthy, it's also ultimately more impractical owing to its folding-outward design, which leaves it much more susceptible to damage.

It's true that in its current form, a separate smartphone + tablet would probably work better and cost less. But that's not really the point, is it? The Fold and the Mate X are really more of "proof-of-concept" phones that people are able to get (at a very outrageous price).

The truth is that while I struggle to see how these current implementations really "nail" the expected use case, there is an actual use case. It's not going to replace a dedicated tablet for the people who would need such a device in the first place, much in the same way a smartphone camera isn't going to replace a dedicated M43/APS-C/35mm/MF digital camera for the people who would require one. Rather, it's kind of a "compromise" of sorts, being a smartphone that might not be as thin as a traditional form-factor phone but can fold out to be a mini-tablet that, while not quite as large as some of the larger dedicated tablets out there, is still going to give a good increase in display real-estate.

And yes, there will eventually be a market for that. It depends on how well (and how willingly) these teething pains will be fixed and refined over time.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

11 hours ago, TechyBen said:

[Forget it. I give up. Random comments on my comments need not be replied to. I'm out.]

??  If it helps with context,  DrMac earlier in the thread said that physics was against bending displays.  The insinuation being they should still be using flat screens.  It wasn't entirely random. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.