Galaxy Fold Launch Event canceled

MrFixitBlankFace
6 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The tech won’t get off the ground if it isn’t marketed successfully. Currently it’s very unsuccessful

I mean, if we're being honest with ourselves, the product hasn't even launched yet. I'm not sure if I can say with confidence that a product is 'very unsuccessful' without the launch cycle having been complete. If Samsung can survive the Galaxy Note 7 fiasco and the Note brand can still live on and thrive, then I think the Galaxy Fold brand could gain traction, it just depends on whether the hardware meets their aspirations.

I really think this comes down to whether or not Samsung can figure out a way to fix the accessibility, or the ease of removing that thin protective layer. If they can't fix it on the already manufactured phones, then they are screwed. A finger nail should not be able to pry it off.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Can't say I'm surprised. This entire concept was flawed from the start.

37 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Snip 

One question that still lingers is whether they caught these issues in testing, or were these the result of manufacturing? 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

14 hours ago, mr moose said:

??  If it helps with context,  DrMac earlier in the thread said that physics was against bending displays.  The insinuation being they should still be using flat screens.  It wasn't entirely random. 

No. It was getting on posts that were complaining about valves... I never mentioned valves needed to be used, but that DrMac (and Apple) does not still use Valves, they progressed onto new tech. Folding/flexible displays are new tech, and will change form factors and use, just as valves to transistors to chips did.

So no point me arguing on the reliability of a valve, as it misses the entire point. ;)

Yes the screens Samsung just made are unreliable. They messed up. Guess what, a lot of companies do. So Samsung will sort it, or a competitor will instead. But flexible displays will get use (even if it requires new tech where it's 2 solid displays given a flexible seam glued in place).

Samsung:

We will take measures to strengthen the display protection. We will also enhance the guidance on care and use of the display including the protective layer so that our customers get the most out of their Galaxy Fold.

Yeah. So it could be as easy as a new glue (future models easy to fix) larger protector (harder to get tolerances, but doable) where it meets the edges instead of being inside the bezel. Or a better bezel/top/bottom protection near the hinge (may need a rubber cover, or might need a whole case redesign).

Like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwXi-KO4qAHg2MF5SGPMP 

Where as currently, you could poke at the Folds screen, as it only has protection on the straight edges, not on the curves ? ?‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...