Linus Tech Tips Notifier for Firefox (EOL)

I'm currently testing the next version of the addon, and if I don't come across any issues then it will should be released in the next few days.
471432309346.png
It will support Firefox 37.0+ (current release version is 38). Based on yesterday's usage numbers, that will mean that it will drop support for 7 people. I'm really sorry about that, but there's no way to support Firefox 40 and the older versions while still allowing the addon to work.

HTTP/2 203

Version 1.2.0 has been submitted for review. This is mostly a compatibility fix to ensure that it supports Firefox 40+, but as a result I have had to drop support for all versions below FF36.
Change notes:

• Changed the way that the button works to implement support for Firefox 40+. NOTE: This drops support for all versions of Firefox prior to 36.
  • Changed the button icon to match the forum's new branding.
  • Allowed you to change the update frequency to 10 seconds, down from a cap of 60 seconds before. The default remains unchanged at every 60 seconds.

Install it now or wait until the review is complete, when you will be automatically updated.

HTTP/2 203

• Changed the button icon to match the forum's new branding.

The previous version updated to me yesterday and since then I've tried to figure why I think the new icon looks so bad. And now that I've seen it both with and without notifs... Its the present of zero. Imo if there isn't anything to notify me about, there should be number for it. Just as there isn't in most any other application. Where there is nothing, its just plain icon.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The previous version updated to me yesterday and since then I've tried to figure why I think the new icon looks so bad. And now that I've seen it both with and without notifs... Its the present of zero. Imo if there isn't anything to notify me about, there should be number for it. Just as there isn't in most any other application. Where there is nothing, its just plain icon.

I'm fairly sure the previous version (1.1.x) always displayed the count as well...

While testing it, I also thought that it was a bit out of place, but when I changed it to use a grey background when it was zero and orange (or blue) when it was non-zero I felt that it addressed that issue, but perhaps it's more effective for me than you because I use a darker theme for Firefox

301432402680.png

My reasoning for always showing it is to show that it's working, though now that I've added a translucent logo for when it's loading, I guess it's no longer as necessary. If I do allow it to be configurable again though (or just turn it off by default), I will need to find another way to indicate that they're live on twitch. Currently, it just turns that badge background to purple.

I'll think about it, but I also think you'll get used to it fairly soon.

HTTP/2 203

The addon will probably display another update notification to say that it's updated to v1.2.0.1-signed. There are no changes in this update, but it's required in order to make the addon compatible with Firefox 41+.

Also, I've been working on a bug fix release to fix a few issues that I've noticed. I think most of these issues have been around since v1.1, but I've noticed them now:

• When the forum is down, the addon generated loads of internal errors
  • When the forum comes back online, the icon doesn't always change back immediately
  • When the forum is down, the addon experiences a fairly considerable memory leak (equivalent to opening a new tab each time it checks, then not closing it)
  • Some settings (text and number ones) don't save after being changed

If anyone else has any issues that they've found, please let me know ASAP, otherwise I'll probably submit this version for approval this weekend.

HTTP/2 203

IMPORTANT NOTE: After updating to the latest version, v1.2.0.1-signed (and potentially v1.2.0), some users may experience a significant decrease in the frequency that this addon checks for new content on the forum. This is due to a bug in the update routines in all v1.2.0 versions, and should be resolved when you update to the next version. To work around the issue, open a new tab and navigate to about:config. Read and accept the warning, then enter extensions.jid1-23jjnBCWPFQ3ag@jetpack.updateTime.ltt into the search bar. It should look something like this:

941432900404.png
If the value is 60, you aren't affected. If it's 3600 (or another equally large number), right click on the result and click reset.

HTTP/2 203

IMPORTANT NOTE: After updating to the latest version, v1.2.0.1-signed (and potentially v1.2.0), some users may experience a significant decrease in the frequency that this addon checks for new content on the forum. This is due to a bug in the update routines in all v1.2.0 versions, and should be resolved when you update to the next version. To work around the issue, open a new tab and navigate to about:config. Read and accept the warning, then enter extensions.jid1-23jjnBCWPFQ3ag@jetpack.updateTime.ltt into the search bar. It should look something like this:

941432900404.png

If the value is 60, you aren't affected. If it's 3600 (or another equally large number), right click on the result and click reset.

Thanks, something did seem slightly off

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

v1.2.1 has been submitted for review, and users will hopefully automatically update at the end of the week, depending on how long it takes for the review to complete it was reviewed within an hour (props to the Mozilla volunteers for that!), and should update over the next day or two. It's just a bug fix release, fixing issues of various severities.
Change notes:

• Fixed an issue affecting some users after updating to the previous version where the addon would check for new forum content far less frequently than expected
  • Fixed an issue that was preventing users from changing the frequency that the addon checks for new forum content, as well as some of the other settings
  • Fixed an issue that was generating a large volume of errors when the forum was down
  • Fixed a severe memory leak that occurred when the forum was down
  • The addon's icon and badge colour should now reset to the correct versions straight away after the forum has been down
  • Fixed an issue that was causing the "open in existing LTT tab" feature to sometimes fail silently

HTTP/2 203

I like how it clears errors now when the problems are over. But the logo doesn't look good like that. Could you have it with different kind of marking for errors, maybe yellow triangle? And cross mark over big logo.

And with bit off topic. How/why this topic has the Official tag while nothing else has it?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I like how it clears errors now when the problems are over. But the logo doesn't look good like that. Could you have it with different kind of marking for errors, maybe yellow triangle? And cross mark over big logo.

And with bit off topic. How/why this topic has the Official tag while nothing else has it?

It has the official tag because that's how I decided to show it - I think it's cleaner than adding it to the actual title.

I will probably change how errors are displayed in the next major version, though the forum isn't down very often, so personally, I don't think it's particularly urgent. I do agree that it doesn't look great though.

HTTP/2 203

It has the official tag because that's how I decided to show it - I think it's cleaner than adding it to the actual title.

I will probably change how errors are displayed in the next major version, though the forum isn't down very often, so personally, I don't think it's particularly urgent. I do agree that it doesn't look great though.

Abusing mod powers, are we? Yeah, not important. But I haven't complained for anything on these new updates so far.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just reinstalled Firefox from a scratch (tons of issues) and redid addon settings. Few things I noticed. Slecting to disable Sounds doesn't disable them. The mark is still green in settings. If not logged in on first use, notification panel doesn't appear to UI. Messages panel does.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just reinstalled Firefox from a scratch (tons of issues) and redid addon settings. Few things I noticed. Slecting to disable Sounds doesn't disable them. The mark is still green in settings. If not logged in on first use, notification panel doesn't appear to UI. Messages panel does.

Where are you disabling sounds? In the setup menu? I'll look into that. When you click it, does it go red until the panel is closed and reopened?

I'll look into the notification panel not showing up as welll.

HTTP/2 203

Where are you disabling sounds? In the setup menu? I'll look into that. When you click it, does it go red until the panel is closed and reopened?

I'll look into the notification panel not showing up as welll.

I did the "first start setup wizard" thing. Marked sound off there and then went into settings since Notification panel wasn't working and found that main setting (and all sub-settings) were still on after I had disabled them with wizard.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 1 month later...

Unread notifications are bold. However, they are marked as read as soon as you open the dropdown, which you are using to navigate to the full list. To work around that, the best way is to middle click (or right click->open in new tab) the notifications button at the top of the page, and that will take you to the full notifications page while retaining the unread notifications.

The LTT Notifier has a slight bug. It's not too important though. Basically I have the LTT SSL fixer script installed, and when I click a notification from the list, I get an error page. This can be fixed by going into the URL bar and removing the addon URI and replacing it with HTTPS.

post-226577-0-45398200-1437745390_thumb.

post-226577-0-41345100-1437745395_thumb.

post-226577-0-57731200-1437745405.png

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

The LTT Notifier has a slight bug. It's not too important though. Basically I have the LTT SSL fixer script installed, and when I click a notification from the list, I get an error page. This can be fixed by going into the URL bar and removing the addon URI and replacing it with HTTPS.

attachicon.gifScreenshot (48).png

attachicon.gifScreenshot (49).png

attachicon.gifCaptureScreenshot11.PNG

Weird - I can't seem to reproduce it right now. Is it the latest version of the HTTPS fixer, as downloaded from https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/193630-complete-list-of-forum-addons-scripts-apps-etc/ ?

HTTP/2 203

Weird - I can't seem to reproduce it right now. Is it the latest version of the HTTPS fixer, as downloaded from https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/193630-complete-list-of-forum-addons-scripts-apps-etc/ ?

I just went and re-downloaded it again. By the way I'm using Firefox Developer Edition (the latest version - 41.0a2, Aurora channel)

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/41.0

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

I just went and re-downloaded it again. By the way I'm using Firefox Developer Edition (the latest version - 41.0a2, Aurora channel)

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/41.0

OK, so when this notification came in, it broke. Weird. I'll look into it.

HTTP/2 203

Version 1.2.2 has been released, and all users should automatically update over the next 48 hours.

Change notes:

• Fixed an issue where sounds could not be disabled on a per-type basis
  • Fixed an issue where the addon doesn't function correctly when used along side the HTTPS Fixer script
  • Most links to the forum should now load over HTTPS rather than HTTP (the notable exception is notifications at the moment).

Thanks to the mozilla volunteers for reviewing the addon within about 5 minutes of me uploading it!

HTTP/2 203

wooo

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Its a wonderful idea! I hope you wold come with something for Chrome also. I merely use Firefox, but your add-on seems to be pretty good and helpful. 

Its a wonderful idea! I hope you wold come with something for Chrome also. I merely use Firefox, but your add-on seems to be pretty good and helpful. 

I think someone made an exe client that works on all browsers (It's not an addon though). See the link in colonel_mortis's signature further up.

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Ehh, you might want to see this: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/100460-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-chrome-extension/

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

• 2 weeks later...

What is priority of number colors (the notification mark)? And should Twitch stream show as a number? Currently Luke is printing firepole on Twitch. This means the purple icon. But currently it doesn't show number for the livestream. So now I get other notifs as numbers but color stays because of livestream. I also think that when stream was down for a moment, icon remained as purple.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I also think that when stream was down for a moment, icon remained as purple.

API limitations. Same thing for delayed LTT updates. If it's refreshing every second, it'll slow down Twitch's servers and make it look like you're trying to DoS it. That's why it refreshes every minute for LTT (With 2K+ users doing that, it slows down LTT anyway, probably contributing to why the DDoSes earlier this week got through cloudflare), and every several minutes for everything else.

What is priority of number colors (the notification mark)? And should Twitch stream show as a number? Currently Luke is printing firepole on Twitch. This means the purple icon.

From what I've seen, it's colours for livestream and numbers for actual notifications. If you think about it, it would be quite annoying to have the twitch stream show up as a number.

NOTE: I'm not a developer of this extension

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame