Linus Tech Tips Notifier for Firefox (EOL)

NOTE: I'm not a developer of this extension

Really? :D I've been posting to this thread long since you were even member here :D

From what I've seen, it's colours for livestream and numbers for actual notifications. If you think about it, it would be quite annoying to have the twitch stream show up as a number.

The old version had bit more clear look when it comes to continuous events (as in Twitch). For me there isn't much difference between normal notification and PM, and both show as number anyway. So thats why I asked about it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

What is priority of number colors (the notification mark)? And should Twitch stream show as a number? Currently Luke is printing firepole on Twitch. This means the purple icon. But currently it doesn't show number for the livestream. So now I get other notifs as numbers but color stays because of livestream. I also think that when stream was down for a moment, icon remained as purple.

Twitch (Twitch purple) > Forum Down (or maybe this takes precedence over Twitch - I can't remember) (red) > PMs (blue) > Notifications (LTT orange) > Blank (grey). At all times, the number represents the total number of notifications and PMs that you have on the forum. I guess that is a bit misleading, so at some point I will look at an alternative method of indicating that they are live on twitch (possibly turning the L purple).

The extension only polls the twitch API every two minutes, so if the stream goes down then comes back up again within the two minutes, the addon won't actually notice. (If you're interested, the forum is polled every 60 seconds, but that can be reduced in settings down to I think every 10 seconds. The forum is able to handle the load of you doing so.)

HTTP/2 203

Twitch (Twitch purple) > Forum Down (or maybe this takes precedence over Twitch - I can't remember) (red) > PMs (blue) > Notifications (LTT orange) > Blank (grey). At all times, the number represents the total number of notifications and PMs that you have on the forum. I guess that is a bit misleading, so at some point I will look at an alternative method of indicating that they are live on twitch (possibly turning the L purple).

The extension only polls the twitch API every two minutes, so if the stream goes down then comes back up again within the two minutes, the addon won't actually notice. (If you're interested, the forum is polled every 60 seconds, but that can be reduced in settings down to I think every 10 seconds. The forum is able to handle the load of you doing so.)

This was just the thing I was looking for.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

What do you mean? Can you post a screenshot?

Recently compared to when? It was turned on a week ago to mitigate a DDoS attack, which is still ongoing.

Youtube API quota is burnt out?

8Z5Dhy1.png

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Youtube API quota is burnt out?

On my end, it says that I have 98% of my quota left. Can you press the copy button at the top of that error thing (when prompted about LTT stuff, click no), then send me a PM and paste the contents of your clipboard into a code tag there.

PS. I've moved your post to the appropriate thread.

HTTP/2 203

• 1 month later...

awesome, for some reason i just noticed this now *_*

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Just wondering, but could we have Vessel supported as well, as I tend to watch the videos over there, and that makes the notifier for YouTube, rather obselete.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

Just wondering, but could we have Vessel supported as well, as I tend to watch the videos over there, and that makes the notifier for YouTube, rather obselete.

It's something that I will consider doing in the future, but there's no easy way to get the vessel videos, so I would have to scrape the HTML for the video details.

HTTP/2 203

Vessel is still fairly new service. So when it gets API, I believe that becomes possible. For the time being, you could get mobile app and enable push-notifications for LTT, CSF and TQ.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It's something that I will consider doing in the future, but there's no easy way to get the vessel videos, so I would have to scrape the HTML for the video details.

It would undoubtly be a really cool feature, espicially for those that tend to watch the 7-day exclusives, even tho this add-on is really cool, I only just installed it, and I already totally dig it!

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

Possibility of Google Chrome version some day?

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

Possibility of Google Chrome version some day?

Theses already one. Look at other thread in this section. (On mobile to can't link )

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Theses already one. Look at other thread in this section. (On mobile to can't link )

Cool thanks man.

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

• 4 weeks later...

Why is the icon so HUGE?

Must be your theme. My classic theme its same size with all other buttons/icons.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Why is the icon so HUGE?

What version of firefox are you using, and is it in the overflow tray or on the row with the address bar (awesomebar)? It should be the same size as the other items in both those places.

HTTP/2 203

• 3 weeks later...

Update to latest FF 42 version made icons number part big and thick compared to before. Doesn't affect to usability, just looks funny when icon itself is bit shrunk and number part almost same size.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Update to latest FF 42 version made icons number part big and thick compared to before. Doesn't affect to usability, just looks funny when icon itself is bit shrunk and number part almost same size.

Unfortunately, the only things I can change with the icon are the image, colour and number - I can't resize it etc.

HTTP/2 203

Changed them again :D I'm going to need all Friday so Sunday should be a good latest date. I just can't tell how long the broken stuff will take to fix unfortunately. It is fairly functional now though so nearly ready.

The forum is broken, tried to personal message but there's issue with the mobile website as well. I've emailed to forum@linusmediagroup.com and linustechtips@gmail.com

Some screenshot of the issue

post-239886-0-54972800-1447603716.png

post-281538-0-93176400-1447604703_thumb.

says that connection lost after allowing the addon to install. Do you know how I can fix it?

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, the LTT notifier for Firefox is unlikely to support IPS4 (the next version of the forum software) when we initially upgrade (which is happening very soon), though I am working on adding support. However, once we do upgrade, you may find that you don't actually need the notifier extension at all - the site will support browser notifications without any extensions at all.

HTTP/2 203

The firefox addon glitched out earlier when someone made a new thread in the programming section...

The thread can be found here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/517988-namesurnamecom-email/

post-226577-0-25792300-1451659339_thumb.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

The firefox addon glitched out earlier when someone made a new thread in the programming section...

The thread can be found here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/517988-namesurnamecom-email/

attachicon.gifScreenshot (51).png

Moved to the Firefox notifier thread.

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about that - there is no way that my addon can execute the javascript (mozilla wouldn't allow it). However, I think it might fail more gracefully in the next version of the addon, though I don't know when that will be releasing.

HTTP/2 203