Linus Tech Tips Notifier for Firefox (EOL)

Alright, I've had time to test the new version out on my MacBook. I'll update this post in a minute with an image I made some suggestions on. Great work! :D

EDIT - alright, here!

attachicon.gifScreen_Shot_2014-12-18_at_9_00_31_PM.png

What version of FF are you using? Because all 3 of your highlighted issues work much better on my computer...

679f0b098c.jpg

HTTP/2 203

What version of FF are you using? Because all 3 of your highlighted issues work much better on my computer...

Hmm... I'm on the latest (34.0.5) stable release, though I'm on OS X 10.7.5, because my MacBook is old... But FF is up to date?

I'll check on my gaming PC.

Hmm... I'm on the latest (34.0.5) stable release, though I'm on OS X 10.7.5, because my MacBook is old... But FF is up to date?

I'll check on my gaming PC

I'm just loading up my OSX virtual machine to see whether I can figure out how to fix it.

EDIT: No idea why it's broken, so it looks like the fix might have to be rewriting the header code to be "better".

HTTP/2 203

Now it's the holidays, I can release versions even faster than before. Here's version 1.1.0b2, which you can download from here
Change Notes (please read them - there's some stuff I want you guys to test)

• Separate notifications are now sent for notifications and messages, with different icons
  • Added a setting to automatically mark notifications read when clicked (Unstable, please test) - I am aware that the "all" setting does not currently function.
  • Added a hidden setting ui.useSettingTranslucency to force an opaque background on the settings panel. This can be changed in about:addons by clicking Options next to this addon.
  • Added a forum injection script, which will parse the number of notifications from the forum and update the addon; when the addon detects a change, it will update the numbers on the forum too. (please test this) This feature doesn't work in the current version
  • Removed load more buttons on notifications and PMs and instead show all of them immediately. There was no point having it limited to 10 IMO because it was all loaded at once anyway.
  • OSX compatibility hacks fixes
  • Bug fixes

HTTP/2 203

Now it's the holidays, I can release versions even faster than before. Here's version 1.1.0b2, which you can download from here

• Separate notifications are now sent for notifications and messages, with different icons
  • Added a setting to automatically mark notifications read when clicked (Unstable, please test) - I am aware that the "all" setting does not currently function.
  • Added a hidden setting ui.useSettingTranslucency to force an opaque background on the settings panel. This can be changed in about:addons by clicking Options next to this addon.
  • Added a forum injection script, which will parse the number of notifications from the forum and update the addon; when the addon detects a change, it will update the numbers on the forum too. (please test this)
  • Removed load more buttons on notifications and PMs and instead show all of them immediately. There was no point having it limited to 10 IMO because it was all loaded at once anyway.
  • Bug fixes

Sounds like an awesome update; nicely done!

Cheers,

Linus

Sounds like an awesome update; nicely done!

I'm expecting there to be two or three more beta updates before I push it to release, but the queue for addon code review (which is required to publish on addons.mozilla.org) is about 6 weeks, so it will take a while to actually update :(

HTTP/2 203

• Added a forum injection script, which will parse the number of notifications from the forum and update the addon; when the addon detects a change, it will update the numbers on the forum too. (please test this)
  • Bug fixes

Love the new settings 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

First balloon not working (set to clicking first), second working nicely. I'll keep on testing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I've updated the change notes to reflect the fact that the injected LTT parser is curretly broken. I've already fixed it on my dev build, so I can confirm that it will be fixed for the next version.

First balloon not working (set to clicking first), second working nicely. I'll keep on testing.

Hmmm it certainly was working for me in my dev build. I'll look into that when I get some notifications.

HTTP/2 203

I've updated the change notes to reflect the fact that the injected LTT parser is curretly broken. I've already fixed it on my dev build, so I can confirm that it will be fixed for the next version.

Hmmm it certainly was working for me in my dev build. I'll look into that when I get some notifications.

Setting working when I'm using the "bottom one" setting. I'll test the All -setting now.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Setting working when I'm using the "bottom one" setting. I'll test the All -setting now.

Confirmed works for me when using top. And I haven't implemented all yet.

HTTP/2 203

Confirmed works for me when using top. And I haven't implemented all yet.

Oh, meant the Any -setting... If you mean it, then I don't have to tell that it isn't working. So currently bottom is only working one for me.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Oh, meant the Any -setting... If you mean it, then I don't have to tell that it isn't working. So currently bottom is only working one for me.

Yeah the "top" one is working fine for me, but the "any" setting hasn't been implemented yet.

HTTP/2 203

Yeah the "top" one is working fine for me, but the "any" setting hasn't been implemented yet.

Ok. Now the top is also working for me. I don't know if amount of notifs was the key. Now there was two, the other time 4. But will see.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Ok. Now the top is also working for me. I don't know if amount of notifs was the key. Now there was two, the other time 4. But will see.

No, I've just realised that if you change the setting, it doesn't change anything until the next time the LTT data is loaded (default is on change or every 10 minutes), so there can be some lag between changing the setting and it taking effect. I will look into fixing it for the next version.

HTTP/2 203

• Added a forum injection script, which will parse the number of notifications from the forum and update the addon; when the addon detects a change, it will update the numbers on the forum too. (please test this) This feature doesn't work in the current version
  • Bug fixes

Love the new release, everything's centered now :D

But, my profile image is just gone. Purposeful, or OS X issue again?

Love the new release, everything's centered now :D

But, my profile image is just gone. Purposeful, or OS X issue again?

um... I spent a fair bit of time centering the profile image on OSX...

Note that I am testing using Mountain Lion in a Virtual machine, so my setup is less than optimal.

Does the placeholder image show up if you navigate to resource://jid1-23jjnbcwpfq3ag-at-jetpack/ltt-notifier/data/panel_2/index.html ?

HTTP/2 203

um... I spent a fair bit of time centering the profile image on OSX...

Note that I am testing using Mountain Lion in a Virtual machine, so my setup is less than optimal.

Does the placeholder image show up if you navigate to resource://jid1-23jjnbcwpfq3ag-at-jetpack/ltt-notifier/data/panel_2/index.html ?

No it doesn't show up there either - I'm running ML as well (I actually updated last night), and it's no different.

No it doesn't show up there either - I'm running ML as well (I actually updated last night), and it's no different.

Can you send me a screenshot? I think I know what's going on (in which case it's intended behaviour).

HTTP/2 203

Guess what? New beta version. Released v1.1.0b3

Change Notes

• Fixed LTT parser injection not working (please now test this feature)
  • Fixes regarding the automatic mark read setting
  • Overhaul to the resizing system to make it more effective. Now you can actually use the panel with no widgets enabled and it function effectively
  • When you mark notifications read (or they are automatically marked read), the addon will now check to see whether you got any new notifications between the last update and marking them read, and will show a notification in the event of that happening
  • The main script is now set to "use strict", which should improve performance, but may also cause some bugs
  • The messages widget has been improved
  • Minor UI tweaks
  • Bug fixes
  • Fixed a potential security vulnerability

I am only expecting to probably have 1 more beta release before pushing this out to the release channel, at which point I will be unable to release any changes for about 6 weeks while the addon is reviewed. If you have any suggestions for improvements that aren't in the addon yet, even if you're suggested them before, please suggest them as soon as possible so that I can assess the feasibility of the idea and implement it if necessary.

I am planning to push it to release just after Christmas if all goes well, and almost certainly before New Year.

HTTP/2 203

I presume since nobody has said anything that you all feel it's ready for release?

If so, I'm just making some final tweaks, then I can submit it for review, probably tomorrow (to give you a chance to find any final issues).

HTTP/2 203

I presume since nobody has said anything that you all feel it's ready for release?

If so, I'm just making some final tweaks, then I can submit it for review, probably tomorrow (to give you a chance to find any final issues).

Looks great on my end. I'll test the next version too!

Looks great on my end. I'll test the next version too!

Has the latest update fixed your OSX-specific formatting issues?

HTTP/2 203

Has the latest update fixed your OSX-specific formatting issues?

Oh, just checked on my MacBook; it still has the profile pic missing...

Oh, just checked on my MacBook; it still has the profile pic missing...

Can you post a screenshot? If the addon is too narrow, it hides the profile pic to get more space.

HTTP/2 203