Linus Tech Tips Notifier for Firefox (EOL)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Would it be possible to group multiple different type notifications so that I wouldn't get tower of popups? Like the old style "You have X new notifications".

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Would it be possible to group multiple different type notifications so that I wouldn't get tower of popups? Like the old style "You have X new notifications".

That is supposed to already happen, and only doesn't because of a bug, which I have already fixed in my development version, along with a few other minor bugs. I'm not sure when it will be releasing though.

HTTP/2 203

• 1 month later...

A minor update has just been released (it was pushed to the beta channel yesterday and was approved in the release channel today), so the addon should automatically update for you over the next 48 hours. The update just contains bug fixes, notably with which notifications are displayed, as well as adding support for an upcoming change to the Twitch API and removing the Amazon affiliate code injector.

HTTP/2 203

14 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

...removing the Amazon affiliate code injector.

the what now?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

the what now?

In previous versions, you could opt in to having the LMG Amazon affiliate code injected into the URL when visiting Amazon, so LMG would get credit when you bought something.

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

In previous versions, you could opt in to having the LMG Amazon affiliate code injected into the URL when visiting Amazon, so LMG would get credit when you bought something.

Hm, did Amazon know about that?  I feel like they wouldn't have liked it :P 

That's why it's being removed isn't it?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm, did Amazon know about that?  I feel like they wouldn't have liked it :P 

That's why it's being removed isn't it?

I don't think Amazon did know about it, but obviously LMG want to stay well within the rules from now on, so it's being pre-emptively removed.

HTTP/2 203

I have had minor bug which has marked all notifications un-read when I click mark-all-read button. Clicking it again works as supposed. Happened twice, last just now. This among the fixed bugs?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

27 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I have had minor bug which has marked all notifications un-read when I click mark-all-read button. Clicking it again works as supposed. Happened twice, last just now. This among the fixed bugs?

I don't think that is fixed, though I did make some changes to how it works. Next time it happens, as soon as possible click the settings cog -> debug -> copy debugging data to clipboard -> yes, then send me the debugging data, so that I can check whether it's a server issue or a client side issue.

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, Kyle Billheimer said:

Damn it, I use Opera lol.

The chrome version, developed by @linusforsell, supports Opera to some extent I think. There's a link to it in the first post in the topic.

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, Kyle Billheimer said:

Damn it, I use Opera lol.

There's addon for Chrome which unofficially works on Opera. You can use that.

And thanks for notif. The bug I had is now fixed for sure.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 1 month later...

The addon is no longer working for me. I've tried clearing cache, removing the addon but it still won't connect to the forum.

Is this due to the forum being down the last day or so?

error.jpg

7 minutes ago, dfaovred said:

The addon is no longer working for me. I've tried clearing cache, removing the addon but it still won't connect to the forum.

Is this due to the forum being down the last day or so?

I'd think so. Its same for me. It had wild ride yesterday going up and down with forum.

E: Aaand its back up again.

Edited by LoGiCalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I'd think so. Its same for me. It had wild ride yesterday going up and down with forum.

Yeah the Razer giveaway really went gang busters lol.

Well, it's just started working again just now :D

• 2 months later...

In tuture, would it be sensible to have own pane for Floatplane uploads? Currently they are coming as notifs since I follow the subforum.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

In tuture, would it be sensible to have own pane for Floatplane uploads? Currently they are coming as notifs since I follow the subforum.

That would be nice, but since mozilla has announced that the addon will stop working by the end of 2017, because they're changing the way extensions work, I am not planning any more updates at this time, since the effort required to port it to the new system would not be worth it. 

HTTP/2 203

• 8 months later...
On 12/2/2016 at 1:28 PM, colonel_mortis said:

That would be nice, but since mozilla has announced that the addon will stop working by the end of 2017, because they're changing the way extensions work, I am not planning any more updates at this time, since the effort required to port it to the new system would not be worth it. 

Do you have time to fix some performance issues? It currently having some random freezing when opening. Has caused browser crash few times too. Plus not marking notifications read, also occasional.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Do you have time to fix some performance issues? It currently having some random freezing when opening. Has caused browser crash few times too. Plus not marking notifications read, also occasional.

Unfortunately Mozilla has announced that all extensions written using the old APIs (that is, anything released more than a year ago) will cease to work in Firefox 57, which launches in November. I don't have nearly enough time to port the whole extension to WebExtensions, the new API, so unfortunately the extension has now reached the end of its life. However, the Chrome extension, by @linusforsell, should now work on Firefox (though you may need to install the "Chrome store foxified" extension from addons.mozilla.org first to be able to install it).

HTTP/2 203

26 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Unfortunately Mozilla has announced that all extensions written using the old APIs (that is, anything released more than a year ago) will cease to work in Firefox 57, which launches in November. I don't have nearly enough time to port the whole extension to WebExtensions, the new API, so unfortunately the extension has now reached the end of its life. However, the Chrome extension, by @linusforsell, should now work on Firefox (though you may need to install the "Chrome store foxified" extension from addons.mozilla.org first to be able to install it).

Ok, I'll move into that direction then.

E: Looks like after all the hassle not going to work. I'll try with Opera since thats supposed to work. And then just keep opening site to check and mark read.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Would you consider making the old extension open source so that the community could try and port it to the new WebExtension?

I wouldn't mind trying to pitch in since I'll be using FireFox for the foreseeable future.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Would you consider making the old extension open source so that the community could try and port it to the new WebExtension?

I wouldn't mind trying to pitch in since I'll be using FireFox for the foreseeable future.

Porting to webextensions is effectively just rewriting it from scratch, because the API is very different and lets be honest, the current UI is pretty awful. For context, there are currently 40 people who use the extension, so it's up to you whether your time is worth that.

If you are interested in having the current code for a reference, I do currently have it in a private GitHub repository, which I could make public but am hesitant to do for various reasons. If there's only one person interested in working on it, I can just provide you with a zip of the source (though you already have a zip of the source on your system in the jid1-23jjnBCWPFQ3ag@jetpack folder in your firefox profile/addons). If there are multiple interested people, who will actively contribute, let me know and I can consider opening up the repo.

HTTP/2 203

Just now, colonel_mortis said:

Porting to webextensions is effectively just rewriting it from scratch, because the API is very different and lets be honest, the current UI is pretty awful. For context, there are currently 40 people who use the extension, so it's up to you whether your time is worth that.

If you are interested in having the current code for a reference, I do currently have it in a private GitHub repository, which I could make public but am hesitant to do for various reasons. If there's only one person interested in working on it, I can just provide you with a zip of the source (though you already have a zip of the source on your system in the jid1-23jjnBCWPFQ3ag@jetpack folder in your firefox profile/addons). If there are multiple interested people, who will actively contribute, let me know and I can consider opening up the repo.

Ok thanks. I could ask around a bit but I suspect not many are interested in it.

If i do remake the extension, am I allowed to make the new extension open source? If so then I'd probably be interested at having a go at making a similar extension for modern FireFox. if it leads to something which is usable and has similar functionality to this extension then I'll consider publishing it and putting it on GitHub.

Of course i'll be happy to credit you for the original extension source code and I will be sure to keep the original extension source code private if you prefer.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),