Linus Tech Tips Notifier for Firefox (EOL)

waiting for full release!

When you say full release... v1.0 is out now although the UI is getting much better in v1.1, which I am working on right now and is nearing release (although for reasons I probably won't be able to properly release it until some time in August - more details on that soon).

HTTP/2 203

waiting for full release!

it is the full release but as all apps,it needs improvements 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

This is going.... TO be AWESOME :D

Awesome++

JGqbYCH.png

Still a WIP, but nearing completion. Some of the image quality seems to have been lost in the screenshot for some reason, but you get the idea.

If you have any ideas or suggestions, especially about the UI, feel free to leave them and I will look at trying to implement them.

HTTP/2 203

I'M IN THAT!!!! jhsdfgjhdsfgkhdjsfhgjksdgh lsajh lgsdjfg

Back on topic, I love how this is progressing, and man I wish Firefox could allow for the same UI as Chrome's notifier.

But I love how the project has progressed. Keep it up.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Back on topic, I love how this is progressing, and man I wish Firefox could allow for the same UI as Chrome's notifier.

Firefox allows for some of it, but a lot of the reason the chrome version looks so sleek is that it has comparatively few features, and also the animations which can be done on firefox but are likely to either look stupid or slow the browser down loads (to get an idea for why it looks stupid, open the current version, go to the debug page, and resize the textarea).

HTTP/2 203

Its literally all you :P

This is looking SUPER awesome so many thumbs up

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Firefox allows for some of it, but a lot of the reason the chrome version looks so sleek is that it has comparatively few features, and also the animations which can be done on firefox but are likely to either look stupid or slow the browser down loads (to get an idea for why it looks stupid, open the current version, go to the debug page, and resize the textarea).

That's one of the things I don't like about the Chrome one is the lack of features and since my profile pic is a gif, when you open it, it will bog down like crazy.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

If anyone has any suggestions for how to improve the look of it, I'm still absolutely open to trying to implement them.

I am hoping to release this version to the beta channel on addons.mozilla.org by the 10th July, because after that I'm out of the country for a month so will have essentially no access to a computer capable of development. When I get back I hope to then take the feedback of everybody who has used it on board and push out a final version when its ready, a week or so after that. I can't promise that I won't run into any serious issues that push this back though.

HTTP/2 203

wow! sounds huge! i luv usefull stuff like this!! :D

Can you make a version for Opera?

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

Can you make a version for Opera?

If I understand correctly, the chrome version will work directly on opera so just download and install that one.

HTTP/2 203

If I understand correctly, the chrome version will work directly on opera so just download and install that one.

That's correct, I've had reports from users of the Chrome plugin running it on Opera. Can't comment on stability and functionality, but from what I've heard, it kind of works. 

As for making a version of these plugins for Opera... that's such a niche browser, it would hardly be worth the time and effort I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Linus

Ok Thank YOU!

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

An ALPHA version of the LTT Notifier can now be downloaded at https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/287098/linustechtips_notifier-1.1.0b1-fx.xpi?src=external-dev-channel-post-1

It is lacking several features, and certainly not finished or final, but it works (mostly). By downloading, you acknowledge that it is absolutely not final and fully working, and understand that if there are any serious bugs, rather than coming crying to me you should post a well-written bug report with as much detail as possible in this thread or in a personal message to me, then if it really bothers you, the release version of the addon is still fully functional and ready to download.
By using this addon, you agree that you will report any bugs, feature requests and suggestions to me (either in this thread or by PM) so that I can try and make it even better for the full release.

HTTP/2 203

To the 1 person who is apparently using v1.1, is there anything that you feel urgently needs updating in the small window of time that I have to do so?

HTTP/2 203

When I was trying it out, when you disabled all of the youtube and twitch notification the notification screen was way too small and was hard to use the setting menu.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

When I was trying it out, when you disabled all of the youtube and twitch notification the notification screen was way too small and was hard to use the setting menu.

Fair point, and it is a bit glitched at the moment (despite it working while I was testing it :(). However, the idea is that if you turn all of them off then you would be expected to turn on notifications or messages to give it a bit of width. I will look at perhaps prompting this, or maybe just giving it a wider minimum width.

HTTP/2 203

Fair point, and it is a bit glitched at the moment (despite it working while I was testing it :(). However, the idea is that if you turn all of them off then you would be expected to turn on notifications or messages to give it a bit of width. I will look at perhaps prompting this, or maybe just giving it a wider minimum width.

it's not that a big of a deal for maybe some other people, but for me I only use it for the notification from the forums as I can just check youtube and twitch myself. I can use it again for a bit and see what else I can fnd and make a list for you to check out when you have time.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

oh jeez what

this will come in handy 

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

To the 1 person who is apparently using v1.1, is there anything that you feel urgently needs updating in the small window of time that I have to do so?

I've been using it for a while, and I don't know if it's helpful but it seems like it's a little more clunky than v 1.0 to me. It looks a bit nicer, but the size along with everything being a little bit farther apart take me longer to figure everything out. Don't get me wrong though it still works well, it's just a tiny bit slower for me.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

I just clicked "submit bug report" so I'm assuming they're supposed to be posted here, apologies if they are not.

Error Console:

XHR Failed with status:0 and data:

System Information:

Firefox 30.0
winnt
ltt-notifier 1.0.2
time: Tue Jul 15 2014 16:23:31 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

I just clicked "submit bug report" so I'm assuming they're supposed to be posted here, apologies if they are not.

Error Console:

System Information:

Yeah, that's right.

Is that happening regularly, or did it only happen once? That suggests that you either had no internet, or the addon has been blocked by the same-origin policy (although it should be implicitly and explicitly exempt from it). If it happens every time, there must be something a bit weird with your Firefox setup, but if it was just a one-off then it doesn't matter.

I've been using it for a while, and I don't know if it's helpful but it seems like it's a little more clunky than v 1.0 to me. It looks a bit nicer, but the size along with everything being a little bit farther apart take me longer to figure everything out. Don't get me wrong though it still works well, it's just a tiny bit slower for me.

Thanks, I'll look into streamlining it a bit, although I won't be able to manage that tomorrow. If you have any ideas for how to do so, I would happily add them :D

(Have you tried adding the notifications/messages panel to the addon so you can see that info at a glance?)

HTTP/2 203

Yeah, that's right.

Is that happening regularly, or did it only happen once? That suggests that you either had no internet, or the addon has been blocked by the same-origin policy (although it should be implicitly and explicitly exempt from it). If it happens every time, there must be something a bit weird with your Firefox setup, but if it was just a one-off then it doesn't matter.

Thanks, I'll look into streamlining it a bit, although I won't be able to manage that tomorrow. If you have any ideas for how to do so, I would happily add them :D

(Have you tried adding the notifications/messages panel to the addon so you can see that info at a glance?)

Just the once thus far. I looked into things on my end, and I think it's Rogers shitting their pants again. Getting huge pings of 300ms, and 10% packet loss all of a sudden.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section