Disappointment with LMG

AMDPRO
Message added by Crunchy Dragon

Keep this a civil conversation.

I’m gonna start this off with stating that this is NOT an April fools joke, but my true feelings.(please don’t take down and say “it’s a status update” bc no one sees those anyway)

I used to love watching LTT and I was a floatplane subscriber for a year. I subscribed for a second, and that’s when they only let me use the floatplane only website and not the forum which became much more of a hassle. The quality of the videos also greatly decreased in my opinion, and I strongly dislike the transition back to a house set as the new house is clearly faked and doesn’t have the same charm as the original house or the original sets such as the workshop. A lot of videos are simply not interesting, and one of the things that pushed me to write this was the cooling video posted today which was clearly stealing jayztwocents idea since he already had an extremely similiar video. Linus Media Group is becoming less of a independent YouTube channel and more of a corporation and that clearly reflects in there videos. Most of the “charm” of Linus and Luke is gone (with Luke entirely gone to floatplane). Other series such as scrapyard wars (which was the first ltt video I watch and inspired me to build my pc) went from becoming realistic scenarios that many pc builder face, to crazy out of this world scenarios that no one would face or be able to relate with. 

I know that you are growing in subscribers and view count and that great. I wish you all the best of luck in everything but I just wanted to give my two cents and see if the community agrees or disagrees.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B350 GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb RAM: 8gb Geil EVO Potenza Case:  Phanteks p300 PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: AMD wraith spire

Steam: maxarooni4

Battle.net: MAX

If you have an Oculus HMU in dead and buried   

I agree. but, because they post every single day, they have run out if things to do. there is nothing computer related that they dont do. they have grown too much, too fast. if they uploaded half as much, they would post the good ol videos for longer, but not as often. the YT algorithm has forced them to do this and now they have no option but to do what they are doing now. 

2nd

Spoiler

image.png.5bd9e5ec2fb05d364eb2bca52bdd56dc.png

I really love LTT. Mostly their forum.
They taught me most about what I know about computers but it's so irritating when it comes to their core audience respect.

Just as any company, or delinquent child, they confess to their faults.

LTT makes absurd & stupid thumbnails/titles & has admitted to it as well as interacted with many users on many threads.

The annoying part is is that it's all a lie.
They haven't done shit to stop fucking click-bait nonsense.

Every time they interact with us about "Yeah we see you're concerned about click-bait being annoying & not representing the video. We'll implement these changes!" Then MAYBE they'll do it for like a week until it's all back to the click-bait.

LTT & NCIXTT has always been a corporate program. However, they (LTT/LMG) are becoming a scum like corporation. Just because they can get away with it is the only reason they won't stop.

The videos & forum are great but the click-bait is demeaning. The lies about how you'll change is ... I can't even think of a word for how it feels to have been lied to in over 2 or more threads directly by the staff themselves. It would only be worse if they once again said "we value you" or "we appreciate your input" because they don't.

I'd make a thread but it's mostly a rant. It's not really a discussion.I won't bother to find pictures of this but the experienced people have seen several threads about their click-bait; it shouldn't be difficult to find these threads anyway. Even Linus addressed the click-bait in a video.

I thought I recalled linus talking about the shift in their content. He had something along the lines of he wanted to do cool things related to tech that not everyone can do for the fun of it. Doing crazy builds and tests like the 10 gamer 1 PC rig. I think after you are in the hardware sceen long enough simply covering the sorta stuff just isn't as interesting as it once was so maybe this is the reason. I will say that all of this is a guess and nothing more. I would say that I do find the content doesn't interest me as much as it used to but I still enjoy it. I still see the occasional video that really peaks my interest every once in a while. I also would say my interest has changed over time as well. I like more technical coverage like gamersnexus. I think the great thing about YouTube and the internet is that people can create whatever content they want and people can watch it if they want. LTT has always made quality content even if it hasn't always intrested me. There are people that really like the content they are putting out so it really isn't in them to change their content to your liking tbh. 

18 minutes ago, AMDPRO said:

The quality of the videos also greatly decreased in my opinion

That's just objectively false, the production quality has increased over time with more expensive equipment

I strongly dislike the transition back to a house set as the new house is clearly faked and doesn’t have the same charm as the original house or the original sets such as the workshop.

Filming inside a real house is just really inefficient, but imagine just making a modern looking house to shoot inside of? There are plenty of real houses  that look like their sets.

A lot of videos are simply not interesting, and one of the things that pushed me to write this was the cooling video posted today which was clearly stealing jayztwocents idea since he already had an extremely similiar video

"copying" other youtubers is a silly concept in this case, it's not some trend following thing.

Linus Media Group is becoming less of a independent YouTube channel and more of a corporation and that clearly reflects in there videos. Most of the “charm” of Linus and Luke is gone (with Luke entirely gone to floatplane).

They have a far greater personal touch that any media conglomerate, as opposed to the occasional funny tweet Linus will make personal videos and the WAN show is very community connected.

Other series such as scrapyard wars (which was the first ltt video I watch and inspired me to build my pc) went from becoming realistic scenarios that many pc builder face, to crazy out of this world scenarios that no one would face or be able to relate with. 

so then what, you prefer they do the exact same thing every time? And what's not to relate to? Superior price/performance? $1337 budget? There are tons of themes that are sensible, and shaking things up with the "no internet" one was a welcome change.

Edited by fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

35 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

That's just objectively false, the production quality has increased over time with more expensive equipment

Filming inside a real house is just really inefficient, but imagine just making a modern looking house to shoot inside of? There are plenty of real houses  that look like their sets.

"copying" other youtubers is a silly concept in this case, it's not some trend following thing.

They have a far greater personal touch that any media conglomerate, as opposed to the occasional funny tweet Linus will make personal videos and the WAN show is very community connected.

so then what, you prefer they do the exact same thing every time? And what's not to relate to? Superior price/performance? $1337 budget? There are tons of themes that are sensible, and shaking things up with the "no internet" one was a welcome change.

1st, the increase in production equipment does result in higher quality videos in terms of editing and camerawork, which at LMG are always amazing, but I was referring to the actual topic of the video and the way that they are presented.

2nd, I get that copying you tubers is a thing, and Linus still made a good video out of it, but it’s just not the Linus I used to watch.

3rd, as for scrapyard wars, pc oriented challengers, such as the custom water block would be much better than “no internet” as people can still learn from it rather than watch it purely for entertainment.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B350 GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb RAM: 8gb Geil EVO Potenza Case:  Phanteks p300 PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: AMD wraith spire

49 minutes ago, fpo said:

2nd

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.5bd9e5ec2fb05d364eb2bca52bdd56dc.png

I don’t have anything against clickbait as long as the video is good but that’s no longer the case with LTT as the video itself has become boring to watch, I believe this is partly due to their being so many writers that they are forced to write as universally as possible instead of adding in jokes and fun stuff like the original LTT

1 hour ago, AMDPRO said:

I’m gonna start this off with stating that this is NOT an April fools joke, but my true feelings.(please don’t take down and say “it’s a status update” bc no one sees those anyway)

I used to love watching LTT and I was a floatplane subscriber for a year. I subscribed for a second, and that’s when they only let me use the floatplane only website and not the forum which became much more of a hassle. The quality of the videos also greatly decreased in my opinion, and I strongly dislike the transition back to a house set as the new house is clearly faked and doesn’t have the same charm as the original house or the original sets such as the workshop. A lot of videos are simply not interesting, and one of the things that pushed me to write this was the cooling video posted today which was clearly stealing jayztwocents idea since he already had an extremely similiar video. Linus Media Group is becoming less of a independent YouTube channel and more of a corporation and that clearly reflects in there videos. Most of the “charm” of Linus and Luke is gone (with Luke entirely gone to floatplane). Other series such as scrapyard wars (which was the first ltt video I watch and inspired me to build my pc) went from becoming realistic scenarios that many pc builder face, to crazy out of this world scenarios that no one would face or be able to relate with. 

I know that you are growing in subscribers and view count and that great. I wish you all the best of luck in everything but I just wanted to give my two cents and see if the community agrees or disagrees.

I don't know man, I feel like they are growing and in a good way. There is only so much one can do before running out of ideas. Look at any YouTuber, things change, times change, videos change. I don't want to see the same keyboard review (just an example) every single day, and I don't watch every single LTT video either, I watch the ones that I enjoy watching. Also, Linus has said that he doesn't watch other YouTubers online, so technically he couldn't copy anyone else.

7 minutes ago, wamred said:

I don't know man, I feel like they are growing and in a good way. There is only so much one can do before running out of ideas. Look at any YouTuber, things change, times change, videos change. I don't want to see the same keyboard review (just an example) every single day, and I don't watch every single LTT video either, I watch the ones that I enjoy watching. Also, Linus has said that he doesn't watch other YouTubers online, so technically he couldn't copy anyone else.

I do watch once and a while, and I never loved all there videos, but the number of good videos is decreasing in my opinion, and I totally get that times change, I’m just sad they did.

I found something similar happened to the youtube channel Scishow after they started doing a video every day. While I haven't grown weary of LTT, I found Scishow's deluge of content overwhelming and I stopped watching. Not to mention they have a newer host I can't stand.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

LMG puts out same content they always did, but with better cameras and a higher budget so they can do wacky stuff like $10k PC more often. 

You just have your nostalgia goggles on. 

EDIT: Also, if you've gotten to the point in your life where you're inspecting the set in the background of a youtube video about concrete cooling a PC, I'd say you should probably take a break from tech tuber channels and watch something else. This is not a dis, I honestly think you're just burned out on LMG content and could use a break. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

7 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

LMG puts out same content they always did, but with better cameras and a higher budget so they can do wacky stuff like $10k PC more often. 

You just have your nostalgia goggles on. 

EDIT: Also, if you've gotten to the point in your life where you're inspecting the set in the background of a youtube video about concrete cooling a PC, I'd say you should probably take a break from tech tuber channels and watch something else. This is not a dis, I honestly think you're just burned out on LMG content and could use a break. 

I haven’t really been watching LTT for the last couple of months and I went back to see what they were up to and then posted this. It probably is just nostalgia goggles though.

Thing is, they gotta keep changing and doing different stuff. 

A few years ago, Linus could run a successful channel by reviewing Noctua fans, suggesting budget PC builds, explaining how to overclock FX CPUs, and talking about how much RAM you need. 

Now there are many, many channels on YouTube that offer that kind of information. LMG, on the other hand, has the budget, the manpower, and the reach to actually do stuff that's different, wacky, and more expensive than most other YouTubers can afford, hence the concrete-cooled PC, water-cooled red camera, $10k PC, million gigabit connections, and so on.

I actually love it that they've gradually moved away from mouse and keyboard reviews, and focused on producing wacky tech-based entertainment. I can learn about push-pull fan setups and new graphics cards anywhere, but I can't really watch two guys watercooling a network switch on many other channels. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Not been watching LMG that long. But here is my2 cents worth. I like it, and have learned a good bit from them, as well as a couple of other tech You Tube folks.

I am a disabled Vet who had his hands crushed. Typing is not the easiest thing. So if I misspelled something please understand. Thank you.

Tantibus venit ades profunde tenebris ubi diabolus in ingluviem dentibus maxillas novaculam ubi angeli sulphuris accendit plorat.

CPU Intel i7 9900k Motherboard ROG Maximus XI Code RAM 64gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Dominator GPU RTX 2080ti FE x 2 Case Corsair GRAPHITE 780T Storage 2 Western Digital Blue 4 TB HHDs, 1tb Western Digital SSD. Seagate Barracuda 2tb Hybrid drive, and  1 Western Digital M.2 1tb PSU Corsair HX 1200 Displays 1 Samsung U28D590 28in and 1 Samsung C49hg90DMN 49 Cooling Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro / Alphacool Eisbaer 240

I didn't pay much mind to newer videos/their titles until someone thought up "Is AMD for poor people?"
I like to watch older vids, but most of the newer stuff feels way too clickbait-y, or something I just don't care about.

A girl who loves to love.

i find it all entertaining, thats the point for me, entertain me LMG lol

Actually I find that things are improving in the last couple of months.  Sure, there's still a lot of clickbait bulls**t and lots of videos that are basically one large advertisement, but some of the videos have actual informative content again.  It used to be way worse.

It’s an interesting channel for newbies like me at pc building 

Been watching LTT for a while now, watched a lot old stuff like whole room watercooling and server room build vlog.

I just love that stuff!

TBH I come to LMG channels for entertainment, I go to J2C for relatable tech stuff and an extent BitWit.

They do their stuff well and are all going in the right direction for their space.

Linus is providing entertainment, I don’t watch TV anymore, I just stream YouTube and Netflix.

Keep going LTT, your going great!

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I'm still for FP, because I support them as business made by young people. The videos are 50% meh, 50 watchable. Usually when its Linus with Jake/Alex/James/Anthony doing something which isn't scripted, more vlog-style, it reminds me more about the good old days. And I've had this opinion for awhile. I have high dislike to their scripted content. I watch reviews only if I'm interested about product. Otherwise I go for Jay, Level1 or OC3D which all are more non-scripted. While they do cut and try again too.

As for content. Thats the hard part. As LMG, you are balancing between what your own interests are, what community demands and what is currently hot. You mentioned copying Jay. Well, the idea about testing alternative thermal pastes (gonna assume its this) has been suggested for LTT for years and years. Do they refuse to do video of high demand as someone else has already done it? Or do they try to do it with their own twist? The same goes with Jay/Linus building with their own kids, or just giving away PC and building it with some kids (ROG Reboot and Make a Wish). Actually all hardware reviews and such are same across whole field, yet I don't see anyone complaining about those. Or rather do, but its then when some lesser known uses same style with Linus.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 4/2/2019 at 5:52 AM, AMDPRO said:

and one of the things that pushed me to write this was the cooling video posted today which was clearly stealing jayztwocents idea since he already had an extremely similiar video.

Never knew that Jayztwocents, Linus' friend, owns exclusive rights to cooling topics..

Just now, lewdicrous said:

Never knew that Jayztwocents, Linus' friend, owns exclusive rights to cooling topics..

Not what he is saying. His point is that content is becoming less unique and interesting, which is was linus used to be known for. Posting a similar video to Jayztwocents is just an example of how the channel is changing and becoming more mundane and boring, like other tech channels. 

Desktop: Slick

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600    Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz CL16   GPU: GTX 1080 8GB 

Storage: Samsung PM981 256GB (970 EVO)    PSU: Corsair TX650M   Case: Lian-Li PCO11 Dynamic - White  Fans: Deepcool RF120mm RGB

Peripherals: HP Omen X 35 Ultrawide (3440x1440, 100hz, G-Sync), Logitech g903, mdr-1000x, umc22 + AKG D5, Drevo Blademaster 87K RGB (Gateron Browns)

Laptop: Surface Laptop 2 Platinum - i5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb nvme, 13 inch pixelsense touch display

Phone: Huawei Mate 20 pro 128gb Black + iphone 6s 32gb gold

29 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

Been watching LTT for a while now, watched a lot old stuff like whole room watercooling and server room build vlog.

I just love that stuff!

TBH I come to LMG channels for entertainment, I go to J2C for relatable tech stuff and an extent BitWit.

They do their stuff well and are all going in the right direction for their space.

Linus is providing entertainment, I don’t watch TV anymore, I just stream YouTube and Netflix.

Keep going LTT, your going great!

This is a perfect example of how ltt viewers (like me) see LTT more as entertainment than informational content. But linus having a similar video to Jayztwocents shows the channel is becoming more informational and less entertainment. a.k.a more "how to make your internet faster for FREE" and less "using a pc to heat up a slice of pizza". This change has been going on for a while.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600    Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz CL16   GPU: GTX 1080 8GB 

Storage: Samsung PM981 256GB (970 EVO)    PSU: Corsair TX650M   Case: Lian-Li PCO11 Dynamic - White  Fans: Deepcool RF120mm RGB

Peripherals: HP Omen X 35 Ultrawide (3440x1440, 100hz, G-Sync), Logitech g903, mdr-1000x, umc22 + AKG D5, Drevo Blademaster 87K RGB (Gateron Browns)

Laptop: Surface Laptop 2 Platinum - i5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb nvme, 13 inch pixelsense touch display

For my really relatable stuff I go to RandomGaminginHD which is also brilliant.

You can’t complain your sports channel doesn’t tell you enough about the weather...

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Bad analogy. I can complain that my sports channel isn't providing entertaining content. That would be more relevant.