Water Cooling a Network Switch!

One of our 10 gig network switches is kinda loud, so the obvious solution is to water cool it.

The CAD: https://grabcad.com/library/water-cooled-network-switch-1

Buy Digital Calipers
On Amazon: https://geni.us/eEll3W
On Newegg: https://geni.us/k8gz

Buy a 10 gig switch
On Amazon: https://geni.us/VWQO3
On Newegg: https://geni.us/c1ya

Wow, a 25min video from LTT? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

@AlexTheGreatishBecause you used only copper, you could have used silver sticks (copper with 15% silver alloy) to solder the heat pipes properly and have the best results (regarding the heat transfer).

Other than that, good job!

If you ever need help or recommendations regarding this kind of stuff (heat transfer problems) don't hesitate to PM me. 

I am pretty sure most people put Noctua 40mm/20mm fans in netgear and dell switches and call it a day.

Interesting to see the amount of ASIC chips though in only a 12 port unit. 

Also Linus, on the black being positive, networking gear runs typically negative in enterprise. Most gear accepts -48v/24v and everything is wired as such. I dont know why but its the first thing to look out for when running power. 

I love how unnecessary this is, but it makes sense as practice for the RED camera.

Out of curiosity, why not get a simple manual mill? Busybee tools sells basic ones in the lower mainland, and full-on shop mills come up on Craigslist and auction regularly. Manual mills aren't outrageously expensive, although a CNC is preferable. Even a simple manual mill with a DRO will provide some options.

Would have been easier and better performing to simply have a single piece of copper covering all the chips rather than making individual squares and joining them with one heatpipe, but not a bad job at all.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Sooo cringe-worthy!! lol

In one hand I envy you guys having all those tools and toys to play with and little to no care at all. On the other hand the OCD in me is always sooo annoyed by how you do everything half-assed lol

And I always got amazed when something still works after all the carnage :P

Anyhow kudos! Loved the video - apart from the fart bit lol

Not bad, considering.

Though I find it highly amusing that they turned a 1U switch into a 4U (5U, possibly?) switch xD

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, JCHelios said:

Let the record show that they misspelled "-cisco" in a video about networking gear. ?

logo-open-graph.gif
image.png.8707e9e67ae24eb4d06c33ca43c64c6e.png

I can't believe I've never noticed that until now.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

@AlexTheGreatish I have an idea: what about a big chunk of passive copper heatsink cooled by low-profile Noctua fans? That should fit into 1U wouldn't it?

So, how many DB's is it actually now, after water cooling it successfully?

Hey guys, I haven't been receiving notifications for the past 2 LTT videos. Can someone please help me? I have all notification turned on for LTT

7 hours ago, williamcll said:

I can't believe I've never noticed that until now.

One of the few things I remember front CNT/CNA class.

4 hours ago, punitdaga31 said:

Hey guys, I haven't been receiving notifications for the past 2 LTT videos. Can someone please help me? I have all notification turned on for LTT

Are the videos in your subscriptions?

https://www.youtube.com/feed/subscriptions

9 hours ago, CarPls said:

So, how many DB's is it actually now, after water cooling it successfully?

I didn't even think of that... but yeah... they never did test the "after" noise. I'm certain it's quieter, but that pump will still make noise.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Excessive amounts of employee time, effort, and resources.

All to prove that it can be done. This is why I live for these videos.

Love seeing the Maker side of LTT mix with Linus' insanity! Great video, and appreciate all the additions to the CNC router. LTT should do a tour of their shop area so that people can complain about how it isn't up to industry standard /s. But being honest, it would be cool to have a tour and get a behind the scenes look at the MFG side of LTT.

Side note: If LMG gets a mill, I will be sorely disappointed if it isn't CNC. It would go against everything I have learned about Linus and his over-the-top-ness(see RED cameras, which coincidentally cost about as much as some CNC Mills). Alex's wish list is now a metal lathe, welder, and mill, for those keeping track(LINUS!). Slight tangent, but I wonder if LMG will eventually need to hire someone that only works on manufacturing all of LMG's hair brained schemes.

Side-Side note: I appreciate that LTT is keeping their child-like attitude with what they do. That's one of the reasons that I watch this channel, because videos like this show that they still have that child like wonder in everything* they do. They seem like big kids with big toys, and as long as they are being safe(which they seem to be if you see the response to my last rant), I will always watch and support these projects. 

*barring reviews like the iphone xs