Is Android pay secure?

Andreas Lilja

Like if I get scammed am I covered by my credit card issuer's protection? Is it even more secure than a credit card?

Just got scammed for roughly $100, probably because of a card swapping (no PIN) vending machine at work. I'm getting the money back but inserting my new number everywhere is going to be a pain in the arse.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Well, your card issuer should protect you although some do not allow their cards to be used with Android Pay. My PayPal card works, my Capital One card works, my Amex BlueBird does not, and my debit card from my local bank does not, despite the fact that my bank told me their debit card was compatible with AP. Android Pay informs me that my card issuer has not authorized the card for use with AP. My Capital One card required me to actually call customer service to manually authorize it to be used with AP. 

I would assume that if your card issuer allows you to use it with AP, then they will protect you. But you will want to check with each bank to verify.

9 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Like if I get scammed am I covered by my credit card issuer's protection? Is it even more secure than a credit card?

Just got scammed for roughly $100, probably because of a card swapping (no PIN) vending machine at work. I'm getting the money back but inserting my new number everywhere is going to be a pain in the arse.

To my understanding Google Pay does not allow the retailer to have access to your card data. Basically the bank issues a token that represents the card. The token is given to the retailer at time of payment, then some type of cryptogram thingy is used for security. The cryptogram is one time use, meaning it will never be used in another transaction, your bank will know how to decrypt it. By because your card number is not actually given, if some one gets the token, they cant use it, because they would need a valid cryptogram and I think that is only generated when you make a purchase, Im not 100% sure how its generated, but I think it has something to do with the transaction. Personally I use Google Pay, I see it as an extra layer of security. 

Now as far as your card issuers policy is, Id contact your card issuer. Im sure you still protected, even some card issuers have their own payment app. I know Chase bank does. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

If you have an unauthorized charge with Google pay you need to contact Google...not your credit card company.

https://support.google.com/pay/?p=contact-us_mktg

If you use Google Pay, the app doesn't share your credit card with the merchant.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

If you have an unauthorized charge with Google pay you need to contact Google...not your credit card company.

If you use Google Pay, the app doesn't share your credit card with the merchant.

Google and Android Pay the same? 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

3 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Google and Android Pay the same? 

I believe Android pay is the old app...way back when those features split from the Google Wallet app. It is now Google Pay.

EDIT:

Here is an article about it.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/02/20/google-pay-branding-starting-replace-android-pay-app-web/

Edited by Razor Blade

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

I believe Android pay is the old app...way back when those features split from the Google Wallet app. It is now Google Pay.

EDIT:

Here is an article about it.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/02/20/google-pay-branding-starting-replace-android-pay-app-web/

And I still mix the names up to this day. ?

20 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

I totally forgot about that. Very useful security feature.

Google Pay and Apple Pay are both secure. They send your data as a one-use token that can only be used between the merchant and bank to finalize the transaction. As long as you wipe off your fingerprint scanner, you should be okay. 

Edit: When you have a fraudulent item like this, you must contact your payment provider (Google for Android and Apple for iOS) or the card company for carded transactions. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, Raskolnikov said:

I was 'scammed' with my andriod pay, someone got access to my google account and made lots of purchases in the google store (~4000 usd). But your bank does protect you anyways if there is any fraudulent transactions.
It is relatively safe, but make sure first you google account is very well protected. And if you can avoid it, do not allow for NFC payment. 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

Google pay is bitching to me that its not going to allow me to use Android pay because my phone is rooted. Argh. Damn you google.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

13 hours ago, wasab said:

Google pay is bitching to me that its not going to allow me to use Android pay because my phone is rooted. Argh. Damn you google.

That's to be expected, really -- Google and card vendors can't trust the software once it's been rooted, since they can't know what you've done behind the scenes.  It's a similar situation with enterprise software, they need to know certain safeguards are in place.