LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
55 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah... there's only one whisper, this one

the m just means semi modular

it has quite a good fan, and is a well built custom cwt gps

Whisper is fully modular, not semi modular

CWT GPU platform

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 hours ago, Spotty said:

Whisper is fully modular, not semi modular

CWT GPU platform

oh wait... yeah... gps was formula, my bad

Please consider adding the FSP Hexa 85+ / Raider II to your "to-do" list :) And looking at the marketing materials on FSP's page, the Hyper M85+ seems to be about the same (FSP being FSP :D with all the countless rebrands). Very curious and affordable models imho, the most "modern" Hexa and the Raider that looks the most passable of all Raiders. I've managed to find this teardown of the Raider from fellow Lithuanian chaps: http://www.elektronika.lt/produktai/kompiuteriai/61032/kiek-fsp-pasistumejo-per-5-metus-fsp-raider-ii-750-w-apzvalga/ It's suspiciously "too" Japanese inside, I'd imagine some cost-down measurements could've been taken in later batches xD As for the Hexa, FFCossag on Youtube did a teardown and a fan tweak for that model. I'm no electronics engineer (yet ;)) but I reckon these would all be around Tier C.

And to whom it may concern (I think there are some concerned users, maybe this will hit the search for them), there's one point about Chieftecs I've dug out. Most of them are either bare CWT or bare Sirtec rebrands (the changes are minimal) but here's a catch -- there have been recent reports from Russia&CIS that the bastards at Chieftec are engaged in bait&switch. Most of the reputable (imo) Chieftec reviews I've seen come from GECID in Russian, and there are quite a few Chieftecs that are very decent according to those. Yet again, who knows what we are getting... maaaayybe Europe is getting better stuff than the former bloc, I dunno.

I've also found a Russian spreadsheet kind of list where PSUs available in the post-Soviet market are all shown with the corresponding platform names, regulation principles, caps and other electronic components, ripple levels etc. Not exactly "ranked" or "tiered", just shown. Here it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bEcFiMdLWPtPu3c1JsvsLIbcYANlLUVO1ICQdh-jxsg/htmlview updated on a regular basis (as of now :)) Again, from what I see it's all based on initial (early batch?) reviews and in some distinct cases, customer reviews with teardown pictures and measurements on online store pages (yup it's a thing in Russia :D ). Thus, I guess some discrepancy is to be expected. Shout out to hrdCore for the spreadsheet and impressive community help (если ты это читаешь, сорян, что без спросу :D). No affiliation but I think this may come in handy for Eurasian users. Chieftecs and other such curiosities are probably quite a pain to find elsewhere, nor is there a valid reason to do so imho. After all, many of you have lots of Corsairs and EVGAs for two thirds their European prices ;)

56 minutes ago, raven_rampkin said:

with the corresponding platform names, regulation principles, caps and other electronic components, ripple levels etc. Not exactly "ranked" or "tiered", just shown. Here it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bEcFiMdLWPtPu3c1JsvsLIbcYANlLUVO1ICQdh-jxsg/htmlview 

Oh, another site/spreadsheet that includes my platform research! It's always good to know they find out about it and spread the usefulness.

So the new Corsair Vengeance SILVER 650W / 750W fall in the same category as the old Vengeance?

11 minutes ago, thexandrew said:

So the new Corsair Vengeance SILVER 650W / 750W fall in the same category as the old Vengeance?

it's better, but yes, it would

On 6/28/2019 at 4:20 PM, LukeSavenije said:

they shouldn't be

high opp

not a fully functional otp

single rail

and honestly not as good as a prime, even if that one won't go any higher because of the single rail

However overall build quality rivals  the prime and its head and shoulders above everything else  in tier A. It is not a budget psu by any means , especially the platinum and titanium ones

1 minute ago, Beerus said:

However overall build quality rivals  the prime and its head and shoulders above everything else  in tier A. It is not a budget psu by any means , especially the platinum and titanium ones

no

because again, single rail

that requirement fails for tier a+ already

because a+ and s are all multirail, or <=650 watts

and the issues above simply doesn't make it a+ worthy, just as their superflower counterpart

8 minutes ago, Beerus said:

However overall build quality rivals  the prime

According to who...? Or can you explain to us yourself how it rivals the Prime in terms of overall build quality?

:)

Alright, so I'm finally ready to start nabbing up my PC parts and I'm pretty much set on each part but still need some guidance on the PSU. I figured saving this list a few months back would come in handy! Bare with me and I apologize in advance for any irrelevant information here. I've been eagerly awaiting the last year or so for the perfect time to do a whole new PC build from the ground up.

To preface: I don't have a huge understanding of PSUs (far less before tonight) but I've spent the last couple of hours going over the first ten and last fifteen pages of this thread to see if I might be able to help myself before popping the question (don't worry, I'm getting to it, I'm long winded and want to be thorough!) when I first stumbled across this thread a couple months back, I had decided on the Seasonic Prime 750/ 850 but after checking the list earlier, I've noticed it was dropped down the list to A (due to the single rail vs multi! I told you I read the last few pages! So I learned what that means too!) but I'm still a bit lost as to which PSU from my list would truly fit my use case and build. As far as I could find, there's not a really quantifiable metric to what being tier A, A+ or S is, outside of 'because it is' or specific limitations, like single rail vs. multi, or sleeved fans. So for my use case, these might be super duper overkill.

Okay, without dragging this on, I'll try and break down the use case and parts, as well as the couple questions I have regarding them:

1. I'm a huge proponent of paying the premium of premium products if it means the quality, reliability and lifespan of said product will last. I'm too poor to buy cheap. Budget of $200 and comfortable lasting at least 6 years. If I can save, great, if not, great, I went the extra mile and paid for pure quality.

2. As I'm sure every post in this thread also mentions, I'm attempting to future-proof here, getting newer and more power hungry parts every year, after reading through a bunch of threads and doing some research, I think I only need a 650w with the new build, but I'm not sure how scaling works in the future. If you believe the 750 / 850w suggestions I've selected below are outlandish, let me know, but please explain why.

3. I'll be doing light overclocking on the GPU, CPU and RAM.

4. I'm grabbing the Meshify S2, and will be utilizing as much area in the PSU shroud that I can get, so the smaller the PSU, the better, but I do NOT want to compromise on performance for size if push comes to shove.

5. The load on the system will primarily be used for gaming, but I will occasionally use it for workstation apps (adobe and sketch)

6. If it matters, I live in MN, so the PC will never be too hot or too cold.

Parts:

GPU: 2080 TI or 2080 SUPER

CPU: Ryzen 3700x or 3900x depending on clock overhead, I won't be going over 1.4v, and my target is 1.35.

AIO: X72 Kraken with 3 Noctua a12x25s

Memory: Samsung high binned B-die, I won't overclock beyond 1.5v.

Fans: 5 140mm Noctua

Storage: 3 M.2 and two SSD.

Each of these have a 750 and 850 variant, so please let me know if I should gravitate towards one or the other. Here's what I've pretty much narrowed the list down to:

1. SeaSonic Prime Ultra Platinum 750w - 140mm - $140. | Very slim at 140mm. Was my first choice, but am now concerned with the shift from S to A due to single rail. Even with all the safety factors (I learned all the abbreviations now too!) checked off.

2. SeaSonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850w - 170mm - $200. | Pricey, and would settle on Platinum if they were still available, but it seems only 750 is. Also a LOT larger than Platinum.

3. Bitfenix whisper M 750w and 850w - 150mm - $90 and $100 respectively. | These seem to be a great runner up, no? Compact size that I'm looking for, but at half the cost of some of the other options, while remaining on the A+ list? Again, it's hard for me to really understand the difference between the tiers, but that's got to mean something, yeah?

4. BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750w and 850w - 180mm - $150 and $180 respectively. | Same size box, and the largest on the list. I've read their fans are great.

5. Corsair Hxi 750 and 850w - 180mm - $175 and $200 respectively. | Shares the same size as the Dark Power Pro, but seems overpriced without much other benefit, unless I've missed something and the Japanese capacitors are actually that important?

I really appreciate any guidance here and would love this to be a bit of a learning opportunity as well, so if you have an idea as to which of those five would suite the need, let me know what you like about that pick, or point me in a direction where I can find more information to learn about it please :)

Thank you so very much and I sincerely apologize for the wall of text! Hopefully others in a similar spot can leapfrog off any answers I might get.

16 hours ago, seon123 said:

According to who...? Or can you explain to us yourself how it rivals the Prime in terms of overall build quality?

According various reviews sites (for example in soldering quality is above dark power pro 11 , another S tier, check the toms hardware reviews) 

16 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

no

because again, single rail

that requirement fails for tier a+ already

because a+ and s are all multirail, or <=650 watts

and the issues above simply doesn't make it a+ worthy, just as their superflower counterpart

what about the the 650w variants then? Sorry for not mentioning the rails, these were the ones i was talking about

4 hours ago, Vexamas said:

1. SeaSonic Prime Ultra Platinum 750w - 140mm - $140. | Very slim at 140mm. Was my first choice, but am now concerned with the shift from S to A due to single rail. Even with all the safety factors (I learned all the abbreviations now too!) checked off.

2. SeaSonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850w - 170mm - $200. | Pricey, and would settle on Platinum if they were still available, but it seems only 750 is. Also a LOT larger than Platinum.

3. Bitfenix whisper M 750w and 850w - 150mm - $90 and $100 respectively. | These seem to be a great runner up, no? Compact size that I'm looking for, but at half the cost of some of the other options, while remaining on the A+ list? Again, it's hard for me to really understand the difference between the tiers, but that's got to mean something, yeah?

4. BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750w and 850w - 180mm - $150 and $180 respectively. | Same size box, and the largest on the list. I've read their fans are great.

5. Corsair Hxi 750 and 850w - 180mm - $175 and $200 respectively. | Shares the same size as the Dark Power Pro, but seems overpriced without much other benefit, unless I've missed something and the Japanese capacitors are actually that important?

#1) Welcome to the LTT forums. :)

#2) You don't need that much wattage. There is literally no point or benefit. The system you listed won't pull more than about 500w max (and that's being a bit generous), even with overclocking and all the other components you mentioned. 650w is what I would recommend. I would go with either the Seasonic Prime Ultra 650 or  BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 11 650w.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

51 minutes ago, raven_rampkin said:

~A huge scary wall of text~

Wow... anyone ever tell you that brevity is a virtue? 

People like it when you get to the point, wastes a lot less time.

23 minutes ago, raven_rampkin said:

there have always been enthusiasts out there who choose a PSU to load it to about 50, maximum 70%, to improve expenses (higher efficiency, as per the 80+ curve, all that stuff).

which we don't... because the difference is that small between a level like 30%, 50% and 80%

heck, some run them even above 100%

26 minutes ago, raven_rampkin said:

ers who tended to occupy that over9000W niche "on a budget" with pretty questionable rubbish. Nowadays, it's been a general rule with quite a few manufacturers

except they can be worse... an example that comes to mind is if the undervoltage protection doesn't kick in, you have a single rail and full (120-140% of advertised wattage) through one rail, burning the cables.

28 minutes ago, raven_rampkin said:

;DR while you may save up and lower it down to 650W, do you really want to? Why not ramp it up to uber titanium unobtainium passive cooling grade then

why not just buy a quality psu with a quality fan and use the money you saved for something else that actually makes sense?

29 minutes ago, raven_rampkin said:

Moving on, Japcaps are indeed a blessing, especially on a budget. Here's a thing though: if it sounds too good and costs "too" cheap,

japanese caps have been a myth that have been debunked years ago, there are good taiwanese and chinese caps too

37 minutes ago, raven_rampkin said:

Mr Bitfenix

ehm... what? bitfenix just use manifacturer designs, the formula gold is a cwt GPS, the whisper a GPU, i don't see why he would be favouring bitfenix that hard

39 minutes ago, raven_rampkin said:

However, if the manufacturers are actually honest with us, then all the units you've listed are 100% Nippon candy.

psus aren't just caps in a box...

40 minutes ago, raven_rampkin said:

Ultra Titanium is that overhyped douchebag guy with glasses type

ehm... what? i mean... seasonic is overhyped sometimes, but it's not like it's a bad psu, just louder

41 minutes ago, raven_rampkin said:

he Whisper M, however, is a shy newbie.

no... it's a CWT design, which aren't exactly newbies... a custom GPU to be exact

42 minutes ago, raven_rampkin said:

Be it a 2005 S12 with mega-dangerous! explosive!! terrrrrible!!! (jk)

yeah... these days they actually are, you don't want something like haswell or kepler on it...

43 minutes ago, raven_rampkin said:

Seasonic Focus+ Gold from Sep 2017 (before the OCP overhaul)

actually... that one has the OCP problems, just not the ripple problems from upping the opp

45 minutes ago, raven_rampkin said:

VX550Ws

not really something i'd run in 2019...

46 minutes ago, raven_rampkin said:

Antec HCP Platinum that's Super-Duper-S tier (made by Delta)

and still use that design to this day... but it isn't the absolute top anymore, flextronics made something better with the axi for example

48 minutes ago, raven_rampkin said:

unlike Antec users.

you probably have no idea how much more a delta costs to manifacture...

49 minutes ago, raven_rampkin said:

L;DR #4 the question of lifespan is one huge gamble. A longer warranty or a specific track record (Seasonic's been around serving the average Joe since 2003)

remember pc power and cooling? that's what i mean, it says nothing

a wall of text really wasn't needed for this... if you want people to give solid, valid info, you just link to them, like this one made by Aris

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supplies-101,4193.html

Hello! Any word what's inside new Enermax Revolution D.F Gold units?

I currently have "tier-a+" leadex ii unit and while i have no concerns about it's reliability i do have concerns about it's retarded fan curve which i cant change.

Hey guys, does anyone know where the "Cooler Master MPY-6501-AFAAG-US MWE 650 Gold Full Modular, 80+ Gold Certified 650W Power Supply" would go on this?

Just now, woundyourheels said:

Hey guys, does anyone know where the "Cooler Master MPY-6501-AFAAG-US MWE 650 Gold Full Modular, 80+ Gold Certified 650W Power Supply" would go on this?

It is listed in tier A.

CX should get its own tier from cxm imo. And jonnyguru thinks that CX>pure power 10 etc. so why is the pp10 above the cx?

36 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It is listed in tier A.

Wait where does it say? It says something else by cooler master, but not this one, is this included in that? Sorry I'm really new to PC, just moving from Xbox.

2 minutes ago, woundyourheels said:

Wait where does it say? It says something else by cooler master, but not this one, is this included in that? Sorry I'm really new to PC, just moving from Xbox.

The MWE Gold is listed in tier A. You asked about the MWE Gold. 

2 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

CX should get its own tier from cxm imo. And jonnyguru thinks that CX>pure power 10 etc. so why is the pp10 above the cx?

Probably because tier lists are weird and if they bump the CX up to the next tier it would be in the same tier as the TXM/RM/RMx/AX.

Moving the Pure Power 10 down would put it in the same tier as the System Power 9.

Neither option really makes sense. You'd have to add a Tier B+ or Tier A- or something.

9 minutes ago, woundyourheels said:

As mentioned it's listed in Tier A.

Tier A (Mid-Range)  

• Cooler Master - VSM-series =>550W,  MWE Gold, V Series 750W+

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Probably because tier lists are weird and if they bump the CX up to the next tier it would be in the same tier as the TXM/RM/RMx/AX.

Moving the Pure Power 10 down would put it in the same tier as the System Power 9.

Neither option really makes sense. You'd have to add a Tier B+ or Tier A- or something.

As mentioned it's listed in Tier A.

We were considering that, and we may apply an in between area in one of the next versions.

Our main priority now is non stop debate about Tier S's existence. I think we've managed to agree to eliminate it.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, LienusLateTips said:

We were considering that, and we may apply an in between area in one of the next versions.

Our main priority now is non stop debate about Tier S's existence. I think we've managed to agree to eliminate it.

Eliminate the list entirely. Battle Royale style. Let the PSUs fight to the death and the last unit standing is the one that everyone has to buy.