USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Rebranding

As a Kingdom Hearts fan, these names totally make sense to me :^)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Your logic is totally flawd.

Because USB 1.x <-> 2.x is compatible

Because USB 2.x <-> 3.x is compatible.

There has never been a break in compatibility with USB (yet).

Neither has there been with PCI, PCIe.

and based on how revisioning works #.1 to #.2 is a direct replacement, replacing all functionality. #.2 MUST re state all properties of #.1 to support it.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

which is even stranger on a product communication standpoint because I'm used to looking at the SS-Fork symbol and I read that as USB 3 o_o

I think it's because of PC/motherboard spec pages?

I see it as a enthusiast vs standard consumer communication thing.

We like knowing the exact metrics so we pay attention to if its USB 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, ect. but their marketing materials and symbols never really used the revision number

This is clearly just a way for manufacturers to take advantage of ill-informed consumers.

we were doing good with USB 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1,

IMO this 2x2 thing could have been USB 4.0

but no.. they just mess it all up now

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I think it would have been much simpler to just call them USB gen1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 etc instead of 3.0,3.1,3.2.

This way people would know what standard  & speed their products have.

I dont understand whats going on with USB all these reviisions and standards, USB 3 regular and C-type of multiple speeds why dont they just promote Type-C only its smaller better more compact, why havent we got rid of old USB type in favor of C, even if old devices need it you can just use a cheap converter or hub from type-C to regular.

55 minutes ago, yian88 said:

I think it would have been much simpler to just call them USB gen1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 etc instead of 3.0,3.1,3.2.

This way people would know what standard  & speed their products have.

Because relatively minor improvements shouldn't warrant an entirely new version number. Minor improvements should always get a minor revision increase. 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, etc... 

The stupid thing is renaming all previous revisions with the new revision qualifier.

The original 3.0 should have remained 3.0 and not be remarketed as 3.1, 3.1 should have remained as 3.1 and not been remarketed as 3.1 gen 2, and so on.

55 minutes ago, yian88 said:

I dont understand whats going on with USB all these reviisions and standards, USB 3 regular and C-type of multiple speeds why dont they just promote Type-C only its smaller better more compact, why havent we got rid of old USB type in favor of C, even if old devices need it you can just use a cheap converter or hub from type-C to regular.

Type A and type C are the connectors, they have absolutely nothing to do with the revision of the USB spec.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

STAHP

12 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

The use of "2x2" makes sense but it would have been a lot less confusing to just name it USB 3.2 gen 3.

Or, you know, just "USB 3.2".

13 hours ago, sazrocks said:

Can someone explain to me why they need to retroactively rename older standards? Why isn't it USB 3 Gen 1, 2, and 3? Or better yet, just USB 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2?

Because they want to confuse people. When you buy a laptop or something, it's going to say "USB 3.2" all over it despite possibly being 3.0.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

21 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Because they want to confuse people. When you buy a laptop or something, it's going to say "USB 3.2" all over it despite possibly being 3.0.

"USB 3.2 Compatible"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

I really don't get why they don't use 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 or whatever.

Like, I can usually figure out naming stuff but I don't understand this at all.

I'm completely lost...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

at least the marketing terms "Superspeed USB 3.0 20Gbps" "Superspeed USB 3.0 10Gbps" etc aren't too bad.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Ugh yeah really bad branding and versioning. I've said it before, they should've started with 4.0 with USB-C even. And just add 4.x with increased speed bumps for it. Hopefully they rectify this mess they're making with next big iteration.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

From what I remember of the 3.1 debacle, this whole issue is caused by making it easier on engineers, so they don't have to reference back to multiple other documents.  That said, it is completely ridiculous and open to abuse by manufacturers.

9 hours ago, MadDuke said:

Mine (sic) USB 3.x ports are black so? :D

Yep, I've encountered several laptops with USB 3 ports that aren't blue.

5 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

But if you ever look at a product they don't mark ports with number but USB, SS USB and so on.

Fun fact, but I've actually run into computers where the USB 3 ports aren't even labeled as SS.

8 hours ago, JoshB2084 said:

Why not call it "USB 4.0 Megaspeed"?

Ludicrous Speed (have we gone to plaid, yet?).

17 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

and based on how revisioning works #.1 to #.2 is a direct replacement, replacing all functionality. #.2 MUST re state all properties of #.1 to support it.

Even if we agree that is correct (which it isn't, there is no consensus or standard for how revision numbers work), that does not excuse them for retroactively renumbering and renaming the old standards, which is where all the confusion comes from.

Can you give me a reason why what was called USB 3.0 back in 2008 should now be called USB 3.2 Gen 1?

18 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

No, that never happens.

I don't know where you get that shit from. But that's not the norm in Interface specs.

You can look at whatever and you see that your statement was wrong.

For example look at HDMi or Display Port Spec.

DP 1.1 is compatible to 1.2 and 1.3 and 1.4, well except for some Cables of course but the devices work! 

They don't offer the whole bandwith and thus a bit lower resolution but it does work.

Same with HDMI, you can put any HDMI device on any Connector and it works. Same caviat as DP though but that's similar to USB.

So in the end there would never be a Problem to call 5G USB 3.0 and 20G USB 3.2

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 2/27/2019 at 8:51 PM, VegetableStu said:

the problems I would probably guess from here:

• if they double the base speed again (so it's 20G from ONE lane), would it be Gen 3? and what would happen to the marketing term of "Superspeed 20Gbps"?
  • if they double lanes again, I mean it'll most probably be Gen 2x4, but if they need a new connector for that, whaaaaaaat in the heck would it be now?

also I'm guessing they've dropped 5Gx2 (USB 3.2 Gen1x2) since it's not being mentioned by the USB-IF anymore ._.

time to stop and just use thunderbolt

8 minutes ago, floofer said:

time to stop and just use thunderbolt

...wich is proprietary garbage, not easily implemented and just some form of PCIe...

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

...wich is proprietary garbage, not easily implemented and just some form of PCIe...

I got confused and thought this was usb-c anyway

#boycottusb-if

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, that never happens.

I don't know where you get that shit from. But that's not the norm in Interface specs.

You can look at whatever and you see that your statement was wrong.

For example look at HDMi or Display Port Spec.

DP 1.1 is compatible to 1.2 and 1.3 and 1.4, well except for some Cables of course but the devices work! 

They don't offer the whole bandwith and thus a bit lower resolution but it does work.

Same with HDMI, you can put any HDMI device on any Connector and it works. Same caviat as DP though but that's similar to USB.

So in the end there would never be a Problem to call 5G USB 3.0 and 20G USB 3.2

At every engineering department I have ever worked at, they all say you CAN'T have 2 revision active. 3.0 was replaced by 3.1, 3.1 was replaced by 3.2.

If you read the Spec of USB 3.2 it goes over all the aspects of 3.1 and 3.0, while add new items.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Even if we agree that is correct (which it isn't, there is no consensus or standard for how revision numbers work), that does not excuse them for retroactively renumbering and renaming the old standards, which is where all the confusion comes from.

Can you give me a reason why what was called USB 3.0 back in 2008 should now be called USB 3.2 Gen 1?

Because 3.0 is a obsolete revision, thus can't be used in new chip designs.

"USB 3.0" is not a name, "USB" is the name with a revision level of 3.0. once 3.1 becomes official it replaces 3.0

The name of 5Gbps USB is SuperSpeed USB, for 10Gbps its SuperSpeed+, it in the OP.

23 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

At every engineering department I have ever worked at, they all say you CAN'T have 2 revision active. 3.0 was replaced by 3.1, 3.1 was replaced by 3.2. 

What do you even mean by "active" exactly?

Are you saying that we can't possibly have USB 2.0 because we now have USB 3.2? That all USB 2.0 devices needs to be renamed USB 3.2 maybe?

If you read the Spec of USB 3.2 it goes over all the aspects of 3.1 and 3.0, while add new items. 

Or they could just do like all other standards and have clearly defined versions without constantly going back and retroactively renaming everything...

The problem is that they are renaming old ones as well, for no reason.

They are also renaming new chips which don't support the higher speeds.

EVERYTHING is being renamed with USB, not just new designs. That is what is leading to confusion. If a chip has the label USB 3.2 Gen 1, which speed do you think it supports? Spoilers, it is impossible to know.

You can try and explain and excuse it all you want, but at the end of the day USB is the only cable standard I can think of which has this issue, and there is no practical reason for it.

33 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

You are working in what exactly?!
Do you make big ass Consumer Electronics??

And here is your problem:
Because it is that way in your department, whatever that is, it has to be the same everywhere.

In the Car Industry there are many "revision" active that are in some cases  incompatible with each other - each for different use cases. 

And THAT IS WHAT YOU OVERLOOK!

The Use Cases!

For example oil. There is 0W-30, there is 5W-40 and something in between. Because they are diferent things for different use cases.

USB 2.0 and 3.x is the same - or at least it should...

33 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

So is 2.0 but that's still in use today.

So is the old SD Card Standard. But it will be in use for many years to come

You can bring down the other features by calling it "USB 3.0a" and call it a day. 

But that would be too simple and you couldn't sell your "old" USB 3.0 Chipsets as USB 3.2 Chipset.

THAT is what its really about!

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

You still haven't explained why USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 have to be renamed in order to add a new standard.  I can't think of a single other standard that has done this so ridiculously (if at all).  There is no reason USB 3.0 needs to be renamed as USB 3.1 Gen 1 just to create the USB 3.1 standard.  Nor is there any reason that USB 3.0/3.1g1 and USB 3.1g2 (which could have just been named USB 3.1) need to be renamed in order to create the USB 3.2 standard.

You keep trying to excuse it while dancing around that issue, without ever actually addressing the elephant in the room.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

What do you even mean by "active" exactly?

Are you saying that we can't possibly have USB 2.0 because we now have USB 3.2? That all USB 2.0 devices needs to be renamed USB 3.2 maybe?

Or they could just do like all other standards and have clearly defined versions without constantly going back and retroactively renaming everything...

The problem is that they are renaming old ones as well, for no reason.

They are also renaming new chips which don't support the higher speeds.

EVERYTHING is being renamed with USB, not just new designs. That is what is leading to confusion. If a chip has the label USB 3.2 Gen 1, which speed do you think it supports? Spoilers, it is impossible to know.

You can try and explain and excuse it all you want, but at the end of the day USB is the only cable standard I can think of which has this issue, and there is no practical reason for it.

" If a chip has the label USB 3.2 Gen 1, which speed do you think it supports? Spoilers, it is impossible to know." thats 5Gbps, its in the damn spec document.

56 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

You are working in what exactly?!
Do you make big ass Consumer Electronics??

And here is your problem:
Because it is that way in your department, whatever that is, it has to be the same everywhere.

In the Car Industry there are many "revision" active that are in some cases  incompatible with each other - each for different use cases. 

And THAT IS WHAT YOU OVERLOOK!

The Use Cases!

For example oil. There is 0W-30, there is 5W-40 and something in between. Because they are diferent things for different use cases.

USB 2.0 and 3.x is the same - or at least it should...

So is 2.0 but that's still in use today.

So is the old SD Card Standard. But it will be in use for many years to come

You can bring down the other features by calling it "USB 3.0a" and call it a day. 

But that would be too simple and you couldn't sell your "old" USB 3.0 Chipsets as USB 3.2 Chipset.

THAT is what its really about!

1. Yes

2. In every company I have worked in so far.

3-4. 0W-30 and 5W-40 are version not revisions

Just because USB-IF makes a standard update does not mean companies have to stop making chipsets with that revision. The X.0 is the major generational changes, the 0.X are the revisions with in that. USB-IF replaces 3.x wit its current 3.2 standard which covers all aspects of 3.0 and 3.1.

The whole issue is that these numbers was not intended for consumer use, which is why they have their marketing terminology too. SuperSpeed USB can be USB 3.0, 3.1 gen1, USB 3.2 gen1. but its all marketed at SuperSpeed USB or SS USB. (they mostly use the symbol on devices)

9 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

You still haven't explained why USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 have to be renamed in order to add a new standard.  I can't think of a single other standard that has done this so ridiculously (if at all).  There is no reason USB 3.0 needs to be renamed as USB 3.1 Gen 1 just to create the USB 3.1 standard.  Nor is there any reason that USB 3.0/3.1g1 and USB 3.1g2 (which could have just been named USB 3.1) need to be renamed in order to create the USB 3.2 standard.

You keep trying to excuse it while dancing around that issue, without ever actually addressing the elephant in the room.

The USB 3 standard was updated which re bumps the REVISION.

USB is the name, 3 is the generation number, .0/.1/.2 are the Revisions to that generation

Edited by The Benjamins