YouTube - Bad Comments Can Demonetize Your Video

Lurick
26 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Guys! Can you please stop blaming youtube for actions advertisers are MAKING it do?

I will when they stop putting that obligation on creators. They obviously have an algorithm for finding these comments so it wouldn't be very difficult to modify the system to just remove those comments...but nooooooo let's just demonetize entire videos instead.

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Guys! Can you please stop blaming youtube for actions advertisers are MAKING it do?

Except Youtube is in a very key, and very powerful position. Essentially I'm frustrated they aren't taking a stronger stance. Being an 'open' platform which will host controversial content, there will always be a battle between Youtube and those who are buying ad spots. Rather than bend to the advertisers whims, they could've drawn a line in the sand and said 'hey, you can buy ad spots but let us determine the best way to serve them and manage the community'. Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect the Youtube market is too big for the advertising industry to just ignore.

2 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Good, hopefully this will keep the problematic ones in check.

It won't.

It'll just demonetize more videos.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

It'll just demonetize more videos.

That's how you keep them in check

🙂

6 minutes ago, duncannah said:

That's how you keep them in check

That's not going to stop these commenters, it's just going to incentivize them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Fully expect to see a lot of channels outright disabling comments... or heavily filter them out.

All because parents are unable to monitor what their kids upload to youtube. 

And so, once again, the majority is punished because of the few.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, Drak3 said:

That's not going to stop these commenters, it's just going to incentivize them.

Uploaders have control over the comments, so having them accountable for the comments makes sense. People are clearly overreacting about this.

🙂

Just now, duncannah said:

Uploaders have control over the comments, so having them accountable for the comments makes sense. People are clearly overreacting about this.

So uploaders now need to constantly police EVERY single comment? And what do you do when you have an army of angry assholes spamming garbage and you're asleep?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Uploaders have control over the comments, so having them accountable for the comments makes sense.

It's extremely unreasonable to hold uploaders accountable for the actions of others.

1 minute ago, duncannah said:

People are clearly overreacting about this.

Not really.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

So uploaders now need to constantly police EVERY single comment? And what do you do when you have an army of angry assholes spamming garbage and you're asleep?

The rule is obviously not that strict, y'all forgetting what caused this rule to be created in the first place. If they are too lazy to take action, there's an option to disable the comments.

🙂

The rule is obviously not that strict, y'all forgetting what caused this rule to be created in the first place

Sure, maybe not that strict, yet. Advertisers are forcing this and I can see it getting to that point. Yes, what triggered it is disgusting stuff but it's easy to move far beyond just that stuff if YouTube doesn't push back and say they won't go after anyone who has a distasteful comment on their video. For now it's a wait and see how they handle generally distasteful comments going forward.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

41 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

All because parents are unable to monitor what their kids upload to youtube.

Hell a lot of this is due to parents uploading shit like little kids gymnastic competitions and stuff that can very easily be made sexual.

28 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Hell a lot of this is due to parents uploading shit like little kids gymnastic competitions and stuff that can very easily be made sexual.

1 of the example in SidAlpha video on this topic is exactly that lol. A mother upload a video of her kid doing gymnastic, and got demonetized. When she complain to youtube they told her that even if the video itself isnt "bad" if the comment is then the video will get demonetized.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

2 minutes ago, Megazero said:

1 of the example in SidAlpha video on this topic is exactly that lol. A mother upload a video of her kid doing gymnastic, and got demonetized. When she complain to youtube they told her that even if the video itself isnt "bad" if the comment is then the video will get demonetized.

Was the pennies she was getting from the video being monetized worth complaining? Who the hell watches kids sports (esp gymnastics) on YouTube that isn't some kind of pedo xD

2 hours ago, imreloadin said:

I will when they stop putting that obligation on creators. They obviously have an algorithm for finding these comments so it wouldn't be very difficult to modify the system to just remove those comments...but nooooooo let's just demonetize entire videos instead.

1 hour ago, harryk said:

Except Youtube is in a very key, and very powerful position. Essentially I'm frustrated they aren't taking a stronger stance. Being an 'open' platform which will host controversial content, there will always be a battle between Youtube and those who are buying ad spots. Rather than bend to the advertisers whims, they could've drawn a line in the sand and said 'hey, you can buy ad spots but let us determine the best way to serve them and manage the community'. Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect the Youtube market is too big for the advertising industry to just ignore.

Because if youtube filtered out the comments they would be supporting Censorship and you'd see the exact same misguided people on this and every other forum bitching them out about it. More people even. We literally saw this in October with Tao being a stupid idiot and thinking his comments were being censored and then making a huge deal about it (turns out they weren't. He just had translation functions on. He also COMPLETELY REFUSED to take back his remarks when they were proven incorrect and demonstratively false.)

Even if they are in a position where the company could force advertisers to bend (which newsflash they are not), then the companies turn around and put further pressure on Governments to take legal action against it. Just like what is happening in the EU (and many other places. Like Russia and China. and some parts of the US) right now.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Because if youtube filtered out the comments they would be supporting Censorship

Tell me how that is different than disabling comments all together? Mass censorship is still censorship. If they're going to do it might as well use a scalpel instead of a chainsaw.

2 hours ago, duncannah said:

What control? Does Youtube have an automatic system which flags bad comments for creators to take actions on them (e.g. Hide automatically and wait for approval)? As far as I'm aware this system doesn't exist.

The only viable control is outright disabling comments, reviewing every single comment individually to remove/report/hide is impossible for any big channels.

All the changes do is screw over content creator by having their videos demonetized over comments they can't control, and commentors ability to maliciously abuse the system to get videos demonetized.

Regular viewers lose as more channel chooses to disable comments, limiting our voice. Content creators loses as disabling comment section will likely drive viewers away. The only winners are trolls/haters for having a system they can abuse, and Youtube for getting more money by not having to pay creators and making the platform more attractive to advertiser.

I'd say our reaction is justified.

21 minutes ago, crystal6tak said:

What control? Does Youtube have an automatic system which flags bad comments for creators to take actions on them (e.g. Hide automatically and wait for approval)? As far as I'm aware this system doesn't exist.

Yes, this does exist:

image.png.c1fccf9cbb295f9e41ca1c152a11ccba.png

They also have the option to block specific words and URLs:

image.png.ce79dc01223f9ea8a60cfd6f7fc0379e.png

Since they have control, they have responsibility.

🙂

Bots and script writers will have a lot of fun.

I would also imagine a lot of corporate channels disabling comments.

Would be even funnier if youtube's own videos get demonitized.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 2/22/2019 at 8:15 AM, ReggieGRS said:

Lets protest by wearing Make Youtube Great Again hats!

That might get you punched in the face by "champions of tolerance"

Oh yeah! Lets demonetize clickbaits videos!

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

On 2/22/2019 at 4:33 PM, Minibois said:

*Audible gasp*
I can demonetize YouTube channels I hate?! This is better than the dislike button!

Finally, my curse vocabulary is helpful! I'm gonna post 'frick' everywhere!

This is a an even better idea than YouTube Heroes!

False, youtube will ignore radical left channels they will only demonetize anyone who doesnt agree with PC culture and radical silicon valley censorship.

So no this new measure youtube is implementing is to further oppress  people politically so they dont have an opinion.

People are so naive...