YouTube - Bad Comments Can Demonetize Your Video

Lurick

Summary: After some recent events on YouTube around some very disgusting comments and content being revealed on the platform, people are now having their videos demonetized because of "inappropriate comments" that were made on said videos by other people. I really hope someone doesn't weaponize this but who am I kidding, this is the internet....

Thoughts: I'm sure someone at YouTube just had a brain transplant and escaped quarantine and was somehow able to post this. Or perhaps they thought April Fools came early but I can see this being REALLY REALLY bad for anyone who makes a video people don't like.

Link:

I didn't think this had enough content for a Tech News post but if the Mods feel different then feel free to move it, unless there is a bad comment which will demonetize the section :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I just read about this a few moments ago.

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I really hope someone doesn't weaponize this but who am I kidding, this is the internet....

There's literally ZERO chance this won't be weaponized. Just wait for Reddit, 4chan etc. to ruin everything.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

There's literally ZERO chance this won't be weaponized. Just wait for Reddit, 4chan etc. to ruin everything.

Weaponize it against T-Series

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

*Audible gasp*
I can demonetize YouTube channels I hate?! This is better than the dislike button!

Finally, my curse vocabulary is helpful! I'm gonna post 'frick' everywhere!

This is a an even better idea than YouTube Heroes!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The awful changes Youtube made to their community guidelines and even worse getting demonetized for youtube comments.

Wow yeah that definitely wouldn't get abused or weaponized towards a creator's videos that some might not like. It's like Youtube is trying to drive people away from their platform.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Wow yeah that definitely wouldn't get abused or weaponized towards a creator's videos that some might not like.

It's not just videos that some might not like; there are people out there who just happen to find it fun to ruin things for others and those are the ones that will use automated scripts and stuff like that to try and demonetize as many videos as possible. Those are the much worse group and Youtube just handed them the keys to the kingdom.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

~This will just push people away from YT and towards Floatplane~

In all honestly, although I expected nothing better from youtube, this still surprises me. Although they totally have the right to do stupid stuff - as it's a private company - it doesn't make it right or mean it doesn't effect others poorly (and make them hated).

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Alternative headline:

All channels demonetized.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

36 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The awful changes Youtube made to their community guidelines and even worse getting demonetized for youtube comments.

I actually think the problem is the advertisers and not YouTube.  How want's to advertise in a toxic environment a lot of YouTube channels have.

Problem is that channel onwers are bit lazy moderating the comment.  To some extent they can blame on bad moderator tools but still.

On 2/22/2019 at 3:14 PM, Juniiii said:

-snip-

Woah there man. You're lucky. If this was youtube, they wouldn't be allowed to run adds on this page!

Edited by colonel_mortis

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

54 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Soon comments will be banned.  All channels demonetized

Don't underestimate the trolls

1 minute ago, Imbellis said:

Woah there man. You're lucky. If this was youtube, they wouldn't be allowed to run adds on this page!

Nah they would run adds for a while, remove them and not pay you for showing them.

This is why there are so many pushes from creators to get off of youtube and diversify between platforms. For many, if youtube dies, their income dies (LTT included) - because with youtube comes their sponsors and brand deals.

well honestly written text is probably way faster and easier to filter and search for that kinda behaviour but its not fair at all.

if we didnt pay the people just becasue someone had something bad to say about it who would get paid. 

now come to think of it id love that actually.

see politicians talking on TV - dislike - their funding gets revoked :D

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

24 minutes ago, Kroon said:

I actually think the problem is the advertisers and not YouTube.  How want's to advertise in a toxic environment a lot of YouTube channels have.

Problem is that channel onwers are bit lazy moderating the comment.  To some extent they can blame on bad moderator tools but still.

Yeah that is probably be the case,  this is like the "adpocalypse" thing and advertisers still can't realize an ad or comments don't reflect on the channel owner. Some channel owners might be lazy at moderating content but people with large channels can't constantly be on top of their comments.

Edited by Blademaster91

19 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Soon comments will be banned. 

That wouldn’t be a bad thing, yes it would be a big loss for all posters who don’t post hate and troll but sometimes people ruin good things.

If we had to lose comments to keep videos monetised I would be in favour of ditching comments.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

8 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah that is probably be the case,  this is like the "adpocalypse" thing and advertisers still can't realize an ad or comments doesn't reflect on the channel owner. Some channel owners might be lazy at moderating content but people with large channels can't be constantly on top of their comments.

Been looking like crazy to find that article from August or September last year about how much internet advertising was decreasing and how closely they have started to screen the sites they advertise on.

Anyhow for a huge YouTuber that can't care about the comment's should simply disable them.  Think that is the route a lot of YouTubers will go if this will continue.  Personally I see no problem with this at all.  Best would off cause be if there was a good way to ban users from commenting, and I mean the actual user not the account.

Its just another attack from the Mainstream Media to bring down the competition.

Youtuber are hurting them right now and are more correct in some instances and filling the void they made with their pandering bullshit...

And in their deathstruggle they try to do as much damage as they can.

1 hour ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

Why not penalise the commenter making said comments, instead of the video being watched? YouTube, stop taking the stupid pills. We have enough to deal with in the EU and their meme-hating $#!t...

They are already doing it and censoring Superchats and other stuff as well.

The Problem is that the Mainstream Media still has too much power and what Google really should be doing is either buying a News Organization or make their own TV Channel with popular Political Commentators. Like the Open Shirt guy from Vermont, the guy with the blonde and some other guys...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

10 hours ago, Kroon said:

lol dude, no. Think of the videos with comments coming in by the second.. to moderate those with how crappy YT comment section is at throwing comments to the far back is ridiculous and either way, THIS is not the answer. Trolls will F things up badly. also you get those that run scripts for the purpose of showing weakness in poor mechanics. Youtube itself is lazy as balls. They automate almost everything and can't test their shit before making them live.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

image.png.645d9ab6c59bcaa232c210432f5baddb.png

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

12 minutes ago, Cryptonite said:

lol dude, no. Think of the videos with comments coming in by the second.. to moderate those with how crappy YT comment section is at throwing comments to the far back is ridiculous and either way, THIS is not the answer. Trolls will F things up badly. also you get those that run scripts for the purpose of showing weakness in poor mechanics. Youtube itself is lazy as balls. They automate almost everything and can't test their shit before making them live.

Just because YouTube FOBAR their UI don't mean the advertisers don't make demands.  This might have actually surprised YouTube some and therefore have the tools needed for cleaning up the comments not been developed.

Remember after GDPR was implemented YouTube can't direct adds to specific users anymore, well in EU at least.  So the advertisers know less about the viewers now then before and are therefor not prepared to pay as much.  Add to this that more and more users use some kind of VPN, personally know whole US companies that uses VPN in EU to be included in GDPR. If I was an advertiser I would definitely demand this and possibly even more to place an add on the platform. 

With regard to the actions that we've taken, even if your video is suitable for advertisers, inappropriate comments could result in your video receiving limited or no ads.

I'm not sure if this is only in regards to the pedophilia spiral that was discussed recently or if this is YouTube opening the doors for advertisers to decide what is "suitable" content for their ads to be played on. Hopefully it's the former because the latter I can see this being the start of the downfall of YouTube.

In my opinion this is really going to stifle community involvement on YouTube as I can see tons of creators outright disabling comments on their videos simply to keep them from being demonetized.

They really need to come up with a better way to deal with the people actually posting this stuff rather than obligating content creators to monitor their comment sections 24/7 as all this does is open the door for trolls and their ilk to destroy people's careers.

PS this is my first news topic so please be gentle ?

Also shoutout to @lewdicrous for originally posting this in one of their status updates.