Don't buy refurb Corsair coolers

I bought a refurbished h115i extreme and the pump died after 1 week of use resulting in 100 C CPU temps at idle in Windows.  Luckily no harm was done it seems, I buy a lot of refurbished or open box stuff and literally have never had a single issue until that one.

If it failed within a week you should be covered by the 1 year refurb warranty.

Get in contact with Corsair to get it replaced. @Corsair Nick might be able to help you out.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Stuff breaks.  Get another and see what happens...  Refurbished item warranties exist for a reason.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

8 minutes ago, ToneStar said:

I bought a refurbished h115i extreme and the pump died after 1 week of use resulting in 100 C CPU temps at idle in Windows.  Luckily no harm was done it seems, I buy a lot of refurbished or open box stuff and literally have never had a single issue until that one.

Are you sure its not user error? I mean I understand it is refurbished but did you check the pump, everything to make sure it's working.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

That could happen to a non refurbished product as well. You're drawing a conclusion far too quickly, and worse, your trying to negatively impact their company before taking the necessary steps to fix it. 

Before taking to the internet, contact Corsair and see how they handle it. If they handle it poorly, then taking it a step further may be in order. 

Also, buying a bunch of refurbished or open box items, this was bound to happen. You can't get upset because it's the first refurbished item you're having a problem with.

No company is perfect. I'm not sure i would buy Corsair refurbished as I've seen some bad reviews where they will just keep sending faulty products until your one year warranty is up. 

Good luck and hopefully that isn't the case. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

12 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

Are you sure its not user error? I mean I understand it is refurbished but did you check the pump, everything to make sure it's working.

Oh Yea I am sure.

Radiator is ice cold, no connections changed, nothing changed. The computer shut down from overheating while sitting idle.   If I turn on the computer in the bios it would spike to 80s and keep rising. 

I tried moving the pump connections around etc to different spots to make sure it wasn't the motherboard.  Then I hooked up my other corsair h115i pro and it worked just fine immediately.

I will just return it because I have no confidence in the replacement and don't want to fry my computer.

Hey if it was 1 year yea I would agree but 1 damn week come on man thats junk quality control.  Also the reviews of it are the same people saying 1 month, 3 months, 2 months etc. I didn't see them because ebay did not have the reviews and didn't bother to look until after it died since Corsair is usually pretty quality.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181122

46 minutes ago, ToneStar said:

Says you get a 30 day refund or exchange through Newegg or 1 year manufacturer's warranty through Corsair.

Go through Newegg return system since you want a refund. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Says you get a 30 day refund or exchange through Newegg or 1 year manufacturer's warranty through Corsair.

Go through Newegg return system since you want a refund. 

I'll get it sorted out.  My thing is this thread was just meant as more of an advisory so people don't destroy their systems or CPU, between my experience and all of those reviews on newegg it seems risky to buy one now.

1 hour ago, ToneStar said:

I'll get it sorted out.  My thing is this thread was just meant as more of an advisory so people don't destroy their systems or CPU, between my experience and all of those reviews on newegg it seems risky to buy one now.

People are more likely to leave a bad review than a good review. If it works it works, if it doesn't you want to rant and complain .. ie this thread. Dud units come weather new, refubed, or used. I was in QC for a while and you could have a perfect unit go out and the shipping company throw it around enough to break connections that won't cause an issue right away but after some use. If you had multiple consecutive bad units then I'd advise others away but 1 time and you haven't even let the companies try and make it right?? GTFO .. get in contact with newegg or corsair

~~~~Started Folding - Feb 7, 2019~~~~

4 hours ago, ToneStar said:

but 1 damn week come on man thats junk quality control.

You can't draw such a conclusion from a sample-size of ONE. You may just simply have been unlucky.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

damn dude 1 product didn't work? i wouldn't buy a single AIO ever again with your luck.

btw i'm kidding.. :)

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

6 hours ago, WereCatf said:

You can't draw such a conclusion from a sample-size of ONE. You may just simply have been unlucky.

It isn't a sample size of 1, look at the reviews here.  If it was just a fan or something I would say sure fine, but this is something that can risk destroying your computer.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181122

I find it funny you guys think it is acceptable for a product dying in 1 week that can cause damage to other expensive components that is coming from a company who is supposed to make higher end products.  This isn't some super complicated piece of machinery it is just a little tiny pump motor and 2 fans, it shouldn't be blowing up in a week..  I don't care what the failure rate is, based on my experience and the reviews it seems really high.  If it was a component that didn't matter like a keyboard, mouse or fan then sure a high failure rate on a refurb would be fine.

42 minutes ago, ToneStar said:

I find it funny you guys think it is acceptable for a product dying in 1 week that can cause damage to other expensive components that is coming from a company who is supposed to make higher end products.  This isn't some super complicated piece of machinery it is just a little tiny pump motor and 2 fans, it shouldn't be blowing up in a week..  I don't care what the failure rate is, based on my experience and the reviews it seems really high.  If it was a component that didn't matter like a keyboard, mouse or fan then sure a high failure rate on a refurb would be fine.

There are failures for every product and those who receive one are more vocal in regards to reviews and forums. Plenty arrive defective before they can even be used. I doubt you would've made a post about your cooler if nothing went wrong. 

What do you consider a high failure rate and what do you think the failure rate for your product is?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Used refurb corsair coolers for years just fine. You got a lemon. Get over it.

A pump dying is gonna risk anything. The computer tends to be smarter than the user. It can handle itself. 

Shit happens. Which is why it’s talked about more compared to it not happening. 

Referbished meets the same standard as new. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Get another unit, you got a single dud. 

As for the user reviews things: If your unit had worked, would you have come here and said "Go buy refurb corsair units!" No? There you go. People will complain if something doesn't work, but they're way less likely to post a review if everything just works

7 hours ago, Mehmy said:

Get another unit, you got a single dud. 

As for the user reviews things: If your unit had worked, would you have come here and said "Go buy refurb corsair units!" No? There you go. People will complain if something doesn't work, but they're way less likely to post a review if everything just works

How many of those do you think they sold, I doubt its more than 1000.  Lets say it was 1000 there are about 15 people on there complaining about it dying fast, i doubt everyone that had 1 fail posted a negative review on there too so lets say its 30 out of 1000 that seems really high to me considering it was immediate and not like a year later.

Also I highly doubt it was 1000 probably more like 100 or 200 considering there are only 21 reviews.

17 hours ago, ToneStar said:

It isn't a sample size of 1, look at the reviews here.  If it was just a fan or something I would say sure fine, but this is something that can risk destroying your computer.

And you bought it anyway?  What sense does that make? ??

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

3 hours ago, Velcade said:

And you bought it anyway?  What sense does that make? ??

Did you not read where I said I didn't see the reviews of it until after it died?

3 hours ago, Joelw2003 said:

My non refurbished k95 rgb platinum stopped working, and had some issues, I got a replacement really quickly it's not just refurbished products that can have issues, also don't just to conclusions too soon it's slanderous towards companies.

Stating facts about it dying after less than a week and reviews of other people saying the same thing is slanderous?

On 2/4/2019 at 6:19 AM, ToneStar said:

Not sure what might have happened to the unit to cause it to not function after only a week.  All refurbished units do go through a stringent QC process before being released back into the wild.  I saw your other comment that you tried changing connections and still had issues.  Just curious, when you changed connections did the pump head LED light up, and did you change the SATA power connection?  Usually if the unit has an issue within the retailer return window we recommend going through the retailer, but you are more than welcome to contact our support as well.  You can do so through the link below.  Let me know if you run into any issues and I'll help you out.

https://support.corsair.com/

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

Haha, I do think it's a little unfair that you're getting a bit of a heavy handed ride from the community, but things do fail. Granted, I'd never buy an AIO refurbished just because of the nature of the product; perhaps it's a piece worth buying new every time?

I get the allure of buying refurbished stuff, it's cheaper. Same reason I buy used stuff almost exclusively when it comes to PC (aside from peripherals, I just find the hunt more exciting), but something you'll have to take into account is that you will get items that are broken/don't work. You just have to balance out if it's worth the savings or not.

Either way, thanks for the heads up! I'm sure at least a couple people will find it useful, even if it's them taking the time to do a little more research before making a purchase.

4 hours ago, ToneStar said:

How many of those do you think they sold, I doubt its more than 1000.  Lets say it was 1000 there are about 15 people on there complaining about it dying fast, i doubt everyone that had 1 fail posted a negative review on there too so lets say its 30 out of 1000 that seems really high to me considering it was immediate and not like a year later.

Also I highly doubt it was 1000 probably more like 100 or 200 considering there are only 21 reviews.

On the flip side, if you think they've only sold a couple hundred refurb units, it must be a pretty solid and reliable unit to begin with ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

22 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha, I do think it's a little unfair that you're getting a bit of a heavy handed ride from the community, but things do fail. Granted, I'd never buy an AIO refurbished just because of the nature of the product; perhaps it's a piece worth buying new every time?

I get the allure of buying refurbished stuff, it's cheaper. Same reason I buy used stuff almost exclusively when it comes to PC (aside from peripherals, I just find the hunt more exciting), but something you'll have to take into account is that you will get items that are broken/don't work. You just have to balance out if it's worth the savings or not.

Either way, thanks for the heads up! I'm sure at least a couple people will find it useful, even if it's them taking the time to do a little more research before making a purchase.

On the flip side, if you think they've only sold a couple hundred refurb units, it must be a pretty solid and reliable unit to begin with ;)

That was my point of the post was just to make people aware of the problem, if they don't want my feedback oh well, then I guess their CPUs can melt.  I meant 100 to 200 specifically from that listing on newegg since it only has 21 reviews, I am sure between ebay, buydig, amazon or whoever else sold that specific unit the combined sales would be more than a couple hundred.

34 minutes ago, Corsair Nick said:

Not sure what might have happened to the unit to cause it to not function after only a week.  All refurbished units do go through a stringent QC process before being released back into the wild.  I saw your other comment that you tried changing connections and still had issues.  Just curious, when you changed connections did the pump head LED light up, and did you change the SATA power connection?  Usually if the unit has an issue within the retailer return window we recommend going through the retailer, but you are more than welcome to contact our support as well.  You can do so through the link below.  Let me know if you run into any issues and I'll help you out.

Thanks for the reply, already have taken care of it.  Not aware of the extreme version having an LED on the head, if it did I overlooked it?  The pro is the model that has the RGB on the head. None of the connections changed it just stopped on its own, I changed them in an attempt to figure out if it was the pump or the motherboard or something else, I did move the Sata connection at that point to another 1 on that same cable, also the other AIO I plugged in after used that same connection just fine.  Also the fans were running full throttle on its own the whole time to try and cool it down so I would assume it was managing that but the pump was not working, the fans were plugged into the cable off the head of the AIO.

1 minute ago, ToneStar said:

Thanks for the reply, already have taken care of it.  Not aware of the extreme version having an LED on the head, if it did I overlooked it?  The pro is the model that has the RGB on the head. None of the connections changed it just stopped on its own, I changed them in an attempt to figure out if it was the pump or the motherboard or something else, I did move the Sata connection at that point to another 1 on that same cable, also the other AIO I plugged in after used that same connection just fine.  Also the fans were running full throttle on its own the whole time to try and cool it down so I would assume it was managing that but the pump was not working, the fans were plugged into the cable off the head of the AIO.

Extreme version does have LED on the pump head, but it's just Corsair logo basically..

My H115i Extreme was refurbished unit too, didn't fail in 6 months, so it's just a draw of luck, just like with new AIOs

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold