Don't buy refurb Corsair coolers

@OP

CPU's don't melt, don't...do the things you are warning people against...there are so many safety measures in place in current tech.  Anyhow, your PSA should have been more along the lines of HOW THE CUSTOMER SERVICE HANDLED THIS REFURB RETURN, and whether it was a good experience given the failure in such a short time (as a consumer you expected more).

As a consumer buying a refurb....well...I mean...you get till the Warranty and that's it...you took that risk.  And its within Warranty?  Im not sure the problem here?  Did they not accept your return? 

BTW not only do these units light up...you can set it to change colors at certain temps...when my CPU hits 60c my color scheme goes solid red....its blue on the pump (red white and blue baby no other colors to fly) until then.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

38 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

@OP

CPU's don't melt, don't...do the things you are warning people against...there are so many safety measures in place in current tech.  Anyhow, your PSA should have been more along the lines of HOW THE CUSTOMER SERVICE HANDLED THIS REFURB RETURN, and whether it was a good experience given the failure in such a short time (as a consumer you expected more).

As a consumer buying a refurb....well...I mean...you get till the Warranty and that's it...you took that risk.  And its within Warranty?  Im not sure the problem here?  Did they not accept your return? 

BTW not only do these units light up...you can set it to change colors at certain temps...when my CPU hits 60c my color scheme goes solid red....its blue on the pump (red white and blue baby no other colors to fly) until then.

Melt is obviously an exaggeration but if your CPU has 0 cooling all of the sudden obviously it can be damaged.  Sure your system will probably be fine almost every time but it might not be.

@ToneStar I too have had a bad experience with some refurbished products so I feel for you.  Let me ask a question if you don't mind and please answer it honestly, if the unit had been plugged in and worked perfectly would you have created a thread here to talk about how wonderful the product is?

BLACK and BLUE Build

i9-9900K - 5.2 Ghz @ 1.305 vCore, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (@ 3200 Mhz), Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Extreme, EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra, Samsung 970 Pro, Samsung 970 EVO, Dual Custom Loop Cooling, Thermaltake Tower 900, AX1500i

VR Build

i7-8700K - 5.1 Ghz @ 1.36 vCore, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB (@ 3200 Mhz), Asus Maximus X Hero (Wi Fi ac), 2x EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition, Toshiba NVME, Custom Loop Cooling, Thermaltake Core P5, HX1000i

FreeNAS Server Build

Pentium G5400, 8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury (@ 2400 MHz), Asrock H370M-ITX/ac, Intel 320 System SSD, 4x Hitachi 7200K 4 TB HDD, Thermaltake TR2 650W, Cooler Master Master Liquid Lite 120, Bit Fenix Prodigy

Daughter's First BuildCore i3-6100, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (@ 2133 MHz), Asrock H270M-ITX/ac, XFX RX-580 GTS, Custom Watercooling (Both CPU and GPU) 2x Corsair Force LS, PowerSpec 550w, NZXT H200i

13 minutes ago, ToneStar said:

Melt is obviously an exaggeration but if your CPU has 0 cooling all of the sudden obviously it can be damaged.  Sure your system will probably be fine almost every time but it might not be.

Not true but okay.  Heat kills silicone for sure.  But systems are designed to power off (PSU, MOBO, CPU redundancy in place) in the event of this type of failure.  In fact THIS type of failure is likely one of the main failures I can see in every day places and experiences with tech.  The only time Ive seen something melt..is when the failsafe failed.  Which is more rare.

I get your pissed that you are now having to deal with the headache of a bad refurb but...naw. 

What you are worried about...is the amount of time you are losing gaming (or whatever your use case is), and spending it here instead.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

57 minutes ago, ToneStar said:

only if you disable the protections on purpose

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 hours ago, ToneStar said:

Thanks for the reply, already have taken care of it.  Not aware of the extreme version having an LED on the head, if it did I overlooked it?  The pro is the model that has the RGB on the head. None of the connections changed it just stopped on its own, I changed them in an attempt to figure out if it was the pump or the motherboard or something else, I did move the Sata connection at that point to another 1 on that same cable, also the other AIO I plugged in after used that same connection just fine.  Also the fans were running full throttle on its own the whole time to try and cool it down so I would assume it was managing that but the pump was not working, the fans were plugged into the cable off the head of the AIO.

No worries, I'm here to help all of you guys out when something happens like this.  Just as @Quadriplegic mentioned, the H115i Extreme does have a single LED zone that should light up when powered on.  There is something going on based on on the details you gave, but we won't know exactly what until we receive the unit.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

2 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Not true but okay.  Heat kills silicone for sure.  But systems are designed to power off (PSU, MOBO, CPU redundancy in place) in the event of this type of failure.  In fact THIS type of failure is likely one of the main failures I can see in every day places and experiences with tech.  The only time Ive seen something melt..is when the failsafe failed.  Which is more rare.

I get your pissed that you are now having to deal with the headache of a bad refurb but...naw. 

What you are worried about...is the amount of time you are losing gaming (or whatever your use case is), and spending it here instead.

Like I said melt is obviously an exaggeration so why did you refer to it again? Of course it won't melt haha.

I am more annoyed by the reactions on here than the actual hassle of dealing with the cooler.  It would be like making a post on a car site about a commonly failing transmission in a particular car after buying 1 that failed after a week then half the people in the thread attacking me for posting my experience with it and warning about it. 

Honestly in my personal experience Corsair has some quality issues going back since the first product of theirs that I bought.  Bought a mouse at Walmart that was DOA  (plugged it into 3 comptuers and none would detect it), this cooler, DDR3 Vengence sticks that had the heatspreaders falling off of it after a few months of use.  My other H100i v2 cooler had fans that were getting noisy after less than a year of use.  Corsair k95 keyboard led's dying after a year of use.  Only other brand of computer parts I have really ever had issues with in about 25 years of using computers is Seagate with about 5 different HDs that failed.  Other than that maybe 1 part at most breaking per brand of computer parts that I have owned or used. 

Hell I even had an old computer that had a coke spilled into it while it was on covering all of the parts and not a single part died in it and most were used for about 5 years after that.

9 hours ago, ToneStar said:

I am more annoyed by the reactions on here than the actual hassle of dealing with the cooler.  It would be like making a post on a car site about a commonly failing transmission in a particular car after buying 1 that failed after a week then half the people in the thread attacking me for posting my experience with it and warning about it. 

My problem is that in your title you claim to know about all of their refurb products by flatout saying not to buy them. If your title had been "My refurb H115i extreme failed after 1 week" it would have been fine. 

To use your example, it's like you buying a used Mazda that then fails, and telling everyone not to buy used Mazdas. Which is, again, wrong. You have a sample size of 1, you had a dud. Don't extrapolate from 1 to all of them.

I have had new and refurb units go bad. I would only make a post about it if 1) I had multiple of the same type of unit go bad consecutively and 2)  customer care was awful.  While I understand your concern and fear, you are being unfair to the company. If they had basically said hey too bad you're on your own, I could understand making this thread. I've complained about Corsair products and they have done everything possible to make it right. They couldn't help me with my 800D (which is just sitting in storage now) but they did try and to me a company willing to do what they can to uphold their reputation is more important than a product having failed. Even if it was multiple times.

Don't miss the greater happiness by being misled by minor sufferings

21 hours ago, ToneStar said:

That was my point of the post was just to make people aware of the problem, if they don't want my feedback oh well, then I guess their CPUs can melt.  I meant 100 to 200 specifically from that listing on newegg since it only has 21 reviews, I am sure between ebay, buydig, amazon or whoever else sold that specific unit the combined sales would be more than a couple hundred.

I don't think many people actually leave reviews. I've never left a review for something unless it was bad. So, as others have said, the sales are likely much, much higher.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I am all for giving a company what it deserves, when they deserve it.  According to research 53% of people post negative reviews expecting a company to respond to them within a week and @Corsair Nick within a day of your post chimed in to try and help you, which is way better than the 63% of people that say the company never contacts them at all.  There was also research to suggest that only 1.5% of purchasers leave reviews which suggests that if that number is accurate that more than 1000 units have been sold through newegg.com with the vast majority creating no reaction at all.  Positive reviews are beginning to show up more but are still less likely to happen 

You got a bad one like a few others did as well and that sucks, and I feel for you.  Imagine those that were outside of the return policy or warranty that had something go wrong.

I think people on this forum in general are pretty reasonable and are all apologizing for your problem, what would be good is if you would offer to help Corsair understand exactly how you would preferred them to handle the situation?

https://www.reviewtrackers.com/online-reviews-survey/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/13/smarter-living/trust-negative-product-reviews.html

BLACK and BLUE Build

i9-9900K - 5.2 Ghz @ 1.305 vCore, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (@ 3200 Mhz), Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Extreme, EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra, Samsung 970 Pro, Samsung 970 EVO, Dual Custom Loop Cooling, Thermaltake Tower 900, AX1500i

VR Build

i7-8700K - 5.1 Ghz @ 1.36 vCore, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB (@ 3200 Mhz), Asus Maximus X Hero (Wi Fi ac), 2x EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition, Toshiba NVME, Custom Loop Cooling, Thermaltake Core P5, HX1000i

FreeNAS Server Build

Pentium G5400, 8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury (@ 2400 MHz), Asrock H370M-ITX/ac, Intel 320 System SSD, 4x Hitachi 7200K 4 TB HDD, Thermaltake TR2 650W, Cooler Master Master Liquid Lite 120, Bit Fenix Prodigy

Daughter's First BuildCore i3-6100, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (@ 2133 MHz), Asrock H270M-ITX/ac, XFX RX-580 GTS, Custom Watercooling (Both CPU and GPU) 2x Corsair Force LS, PowerSpec 550w, NZXT H200i

I've literally bought products after reading reviews like this because all a review like this shows is that the end user has no clue on how to deal with a bad situation. We're talking about one (1) product here, not several. So you honestly don't have a clue what you're talking about. Almost every AIO has bad reviews, they are for some reason, easy to fail products. If you knew anything about AIOs or ever did research on any of them, you would know you're taking the chance of something going wrong. Almost every thread where someone asks for a cooler recommendation, there's someone there saying don't buy an AIO, you can get the same performance without any of the issues involved with liquid cooling, at a cheaper price. 

You labeled the thread wrong for your situation just because you were upset. You failed to contact Corsair to see what your options were. You only posted because you had a shitty experience. I completely understand that your upset, but hopefully this thread teaches you something. If it doesn't, I feel sorry for you. 

I've bought several products that had threads like this all across the internet and they never deter me. Because it's usually just an upset idiot not taking the necessary steps to fix a problem that has a solution. My decisions are usually derived from professional reviews/testing of actual products and not emotional ones like this. 

This thread is 100% useless because you didn't use not one resource available to you to fix the problem before you came here to negatively impact Corsairs bottom line. 

And you wonder why people are upset. Live and learn. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

To further @ChewToy!'s point data suggests that even a single negative review can seriously affect business and that these types of forums or reviews are becoming increasingly important to company reputations.  The following stats are from the info graphic linked below which came from countless sources.

• 100% of customers who make more than $150,000 annually claim to leave reviews when it comes to poor customer service.
  • 86% of people will hesitate to purchase from a business that has negative online reviews.
  • Between 1-3 bad reviews is enough to deter 67% of shoppers from purchasing a product or service.
  • 94% of consumers use a business with a 4 star rating while only 57% use a business with 3 star rating and only 14% would consider purchasing from a 1 or 2 star rating.

As a tech community we need to be thoughtful about how and when we write negative reviews as every single one we leave somewhere affects that product's sales and therefore the company that supplies it.

https://www.vendasta.com/blog/50-stats-you-need-to-know-about-online-reviews

BLACK and BLUE Build

VR Build

FreeNAS Server Build

There’s a chance the product you buy can fail. Don’t buy anything. 

There’s a chance you can die. Don’t bother living. 

I think that’s the lesson we have to take away from this. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I would seriously consider changing the title of this thread, there isn't one reason not to. It's the best thing you can do right now to make up for your carelessness. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

I recommend you take a look at that. The title definitely needs to be changed. Threads like this encourage buying based on brand, which is terrible.

I always tell people, there are no good or bad brands in tech. There are only good and bad products. No large company has a perfect record, and the brand name attached to it doesn't even necessarily mean they manufactured it.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 2/4/2019 at 3:19 PM, ToneStar said:

I bought a refurbished h115i extreme

Yes, and?
The Title is crap.

It should be "don't buy refurbished AIO Water Cooler". Or maybe even don't buy AIO Water Coolers at all??

It has more parts that could break, normal "Air Cooler" you can only break, they don't usually fail themselves (they might however loose performance due to physics).

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"