15% of 2080ti's arrive DEAD

Tech-Fix

I've been working on upgrading 12 workstations with 4-way GPUs. From 1080ti to 2080ti. The chosen cards were the Asus Turbo 2080ti. So far I've upgraded 5 PC's to have 2080ti's, out of the 20 GPU's used, 3 came faulty. That's 15%.

I'm writing this because this a widely known issue, but normally people get 1 or 2 cards the most, with higher quantity at the same time one can see better the ratio of how many are faulty. I'll continue to upgrade more workstations, as I get new more powerful PSUs, (changing from Seasonic 1250w that was unable to power the 4 2080ti's under load to Corsair 1600w) and see if this ratio improves or worsens. 

Explain what you mean by 'faulty'.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Well if you look at his title -- they don't work.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

12 minutes ago, Tech-Fix said:

I've been working on upgrading 12 workstations with 4-way GPUs. From 1080ti to 2080ti. The chosen cards were the Asus Turbo 2080ti. So far I've upgraded 5 PC's to have 2080ti's, out of the 20 GPU's used, 3 came faulty. That's 15%.

I'm writing this because this a widely known issue, but normally people get 1 or 2 cards the most, with higher quantity at the same time one can see better the ratio of how many are faulty. I'll continue to upgrade more workstations, as I get new more powerful PSUs, (changing from Seasonic 1250w that was unable to power the 4 2080ti's under load to Corsair 1600w) and see if this ratio improves or worsens. 

That's not astronomically high imo , but that's still a percentage to be concerned about. Ideally it should be about 1-2% or lower

Damn....

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

System starts to boot, but freezes with a black screen once it should bring the welcome screen. Even when it's not the primary card. 

Just now, Shimejii said:

But why? Why are you exactly upgrading 12 workstations with 1080ti's to 2080ti's. You dont say what your doing, and its not exactly clear why you would do that.

That isn't the point of his post so you should ask him what he is doing.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

But why? Why are you exactly upgrading 12 workstations with 1080ti's to 2080ti's. You dont say what your doing, and its not exactly clear why you would do that.

They are used for 3D rendering with Octane, It's a major boost. We do this with every generation.

the way your extrapolating data is not how statistics works, 

if i buy 100 hard drives from a supplier that may have the same batch, a lot of them may be bad, but that does not mean that you can extrapolate that to all the production units.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

Is this for tax write off purposes?

It's does that too, but mainly because we can get much more work done.

What PSUs are in the systems?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

1 hour ago, lacion said:

the way your extrapolating data is not how statistics works, 

if i buy 100 hard drives from a supplier that may have the same batch, a lot of them may be bad, but that does not mean that you can extrapolate that to all the production units.

I know what you mean, it is unscientific extrapolation. But I did get cards from two different batches; I know this because I worked directly with Asus to manage to get this amount of GPUs, Bad apples in both baskets...

1 hour ago, TahoeDust said:

Corsair AX1600i I check with Corsair Link and when rendering the system uses around 1200w

5 minutes ago, Tech-Fix said:

They are used for 3D rendering with Octane, It's a major boost. We do this with every generation.

Hrmmm, i just hope it was worth the massive amount of the cost. I cant see it being worth the price or a dramatic difference compared to a 1080ti for almost double price, but alas your business is just run like that.

1 minute ago, Tech-Fix said:

I know what you mean, it is unscientific extrapolation. But I did get cards from two different batches; I know this because I worked directly with Asus to manage to get this amount of GPUs, Bad apples in both baskets...

every production line that builds electronics has a % of failure that factories managed most of the time is caught in the factory and the faulty hardware is discarded or recycled, all of this only shows that in this case, Asus does a very very bad job at basic QA out of the factory.

but even so, 2 batches is probably nothing compared to what they may be built for worldwide distribution when you start analyzing data from all batches. that % will probably drop to know values. probably within 1%

1 minute ago, lacion said:

every production line that builds electronics has a % of failure that factories managed most of the time is caught in the factory and the faulty hardware is discarded or recycled, all of this only shows that in this case, Asus does a very very bad job at basic QA out of the factory.

but even so, 2 batches is probably nothing compared to what they may be built for worldwide distribution when you start analyzing data from all batches. that % will probably drop to know values. probably within 1%

Thanks, good to know, hopefully newer ones come with less problems

8 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

Good point. I like to think that most of the RTX series dying is due to people using garbage PSUs. Thinking about it, it wouldn't surprise me really.

Although one would like to think that any PSU pushing 1000W+ would be quality. But then again, I've been wrong before.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

5 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Hrmmm, i just hope it was worth the massive amount of the cost. I cant see it being worth the price or a dramatic difference compared to a 1080ti for almost double price, but alas your business is just run like that.

So far we had we had a 70% boost in performance, which will increase another 30% at least because of the tensor cores in the new version that is coming out very soon (we have already been testing with the beta) Our main problem so far as been render time, even if it improves by 50% it pays off.

12 minutes ago, Tech-Fix said:

Corsair AX1600i I check with Corsair Link and when rendering the system uses around 1200w

Are you running them single rail or multi-rail?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Just now, TahoeDust said:

Are you running them single rail or multi-rail?

running in multi-rail

22 minutes ago, Tech-Fix said:

System starts to boot, but freezes with a black screen once it should bring the welcome screen. Even when it's not the primary card. 

22 minutes ago, nick name said:

Well if you look at his title -- they don't work.  

Well if you look at this response, it seems like more of a software issue than a hardware one.

Maybe he didn't uninstall the drivers before removing the previous GPUs.

Maybe the card is not fully inserted in the slot or some part of the case is blocking it from going in all the way.

Maybe you should realize there are many ways that something might "not work" and that it's not always "gpu is dead"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Well if you look at this response, it seems like more of a software issue than a hardware one.

Maybe he didn't uninstall the drivers before removing the previous GPUs.

Maybe the card is not fully inserted in the slot or some part of the case is blocking it from going in all the way.

Maybe you should realize there are many ways that something might "not work" and that it's not always "gpu is dead"

I did try them on different machines and also as a single card. When replaced with a good one the system works fine.

2 minutes ago, Tech-Fix said:

I did try them on different machines and also as a single card. When replaced with a good one the system works fine.

Did you try clean installing the OS on a system with the 2080ti in it from the start?

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Tech-Fix said:

running in multi-rail

Try running them in single rail.