What do you build/mod your PC on?

DVA

Hey guys, I had a question. Do any of you use a specific type of mat, padding, surface you prefer to build on? I always just build on type of my dining room table and never have issues. 

I was just curious to see what you guys build on. 

The Verge taught me to use a table.

Before I was using wet grass.

First few builds were on the motherboard box, but the Mod mat as expensive as it is is really nice and I wouldnt build without it. 

Not to say It's necessary, but just really nice to have an anti static surface anywhere

20180805_142016.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, King Poet said:

The Verge taught me to use a table.

The poor Verge will never be able to recover lmao.

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

First few builds were on the motherboard box, but the Mod mat as expensive as it is is really nice and I wouldnt build without it. 

Not to say It's necessary, but just really nice to have an anti static surface anywhere

I was honestly thinking of buying that exact mat! My only dilemma is justifying the price when my dining room table gets the job done :d but I'm glad to see this in here tbh. 

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

The carpeted floor.

Seriously, static electricity isn't a problem, build on whatever you want. 

Oh I'm well aware, I watched Jayz video on how to build a PC wrong. Everything was F**ked and it still worked with no issues. I am just curios as to what other enthusiasts use. 

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

my kitchen table, because it's free most of the time

Exactly the same reason as me ;)

I hope that my table isn't cluttered and build with what remaining space there is.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I have the traditional ModMat Mainboard that I assemble and disassemble systems on.

I might start a little dollar jar to buy the mod mat than. It's not that expensive, but it's not something I'd spontaneously buy. Hmm. 

Just now, DVA said:

I might start a little dollar jar to buy the mod mat than. It's not that expensive, but it's not something I'd spontaneously buy. Hmm. 

It's pretty nice, you can ground yourself to the mat and ground the mat itself to something else.

I like it, although I do wish I had bought the bigger one.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

15451714350781841692714525900793.jpg

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's pretty nice, you can ground yourself to the mat and ground the mat itself to something else.

The 47x23 is only 10 dollars more than the 23x23 version on Amazon. Was that the price difference when you purchased yours? Or has it since gone down?

1 minute ago, DVA said:

The 47x23 is only 10 dollars more than the 23x23 version on Amazon. Was that the price difference when you purchased yours? Or has it since gone down?

I don't remember, it's been a few years.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

15 hours ago, DVA said:

I was honestly thinking of buying that exact mat! My only dilemma is justifying the price when my dining room table gets the job done :d but I'm glad to see this in here tbh. 

14 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I have personally never used the grounding strap on the one I have. I jsut use it as a really nice clean area to build. Plus it has basically a bunch of info thats usefull like exact screw types, pin layouts if I ever needed to rewire something and a GPU disassembly area which will come in handy when (if) I ever do hardline watercooling and need to put on a GPU block. 

Since I've been building a lot of computers for friends lately I've gotten a lot of use out of it, but for someone who builds a PC every few years, the cardboard box is just as convenient and free.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

The dinner's room hardwood table.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

on a piece of wood or paneling. 

usually the table, but ive also build on the floor. 

15 hours ago, King Poet said:

Nothing like building a new rig in the garden. in the rain. ?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 minute ago, Nicnac said:

Nothing like building a new rig in the garden. in the rain. ?

giphy.gif

My TV room's hardwood center table

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

Plywood desk at the moment. Planning to get a mod mat from Gamers Nexus. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Just now, MEC-777 said:

Plywood desk at the moment. Planning to get a mod mat from Gamers Nexus. 

I didn't even know he had his own. I'll have to check it out. 

11 minutes ago, DVA said:

I didn't even know he had his own. I'll have to check it out. 

His mats are pretty cool but it costs around $100. I build on a wooden table. I use same table to build my electronic and RC stuff. As long as the place is clean and MB is on a non conductive surface, it is good. I have a grounding strap but I rarely use one. I just discharge myself (touch a conductive surface) before removing electronic components.

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

i just use my desk in my office. Then again, i haven't opened my system in about a year...