Samsung's latest still lagging behind the iPhone

Nicnac

Leaked Benchmarks of Samsung’s Exynos 9820 (for the S10) leave a lot to be desired.

While Samsung’s Exynos 9820 demonstrates an improvement over 10nm processors, the SoC does not beat either the Snapdragon or the A12. This is worrying news and shows that perhaps Samsung’s chip game isn’t what it used to be. After all, you don’t need to seriously jog your memory to remember a time when the Exynos consistently outperformed the Snapdragon in computing scores.

here's the leaked benchmark score:

Ds_ZD1HVsAcX4GL.jpg

360.000 is what the latest Snapdragon Processor scored and around

350.000 for the iPhone Xs Max

Source: WCCFTech

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

8 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Aren't phone benchmarks super inaccurate?

Yes. Unlike PCs, with phones, there's a lot more factors in play, including battery percentage, ambient room temperature, etc. Also, phones have no power management settings, meaning you can't really narrow down your results at all. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Who actually cares about how fast their phone is though anyway, like if its a smooth experience and apps open up fast and work well, isn't that all that matters? It gets to a point. 

As always take benchmarks with a grain of salt. They're just to give a general idea of how a chip performs. All these scores r fairly close together so my guess is similar real life performance between all 3 processors. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

10 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Aren't phone benchmarks super inaccurate?

Wildly. But Exynos has been a tad behind the past few years. It's still not going to reach full potential in a phone, and most people won't notice it in a tablet that doesn't thermal or power throttle it to hell.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Synthetic benchmarks shouldn't be all end all the same way having more Megapixel doesn't mean it's better.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

3 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Who actually cares about how fast their phone is though anyway, like if its a smooth experience and apps open up fast and work well, isn't that all that matters? It gets to a point. 

Exactly and it must be doing what owner wants! That's why i am still using nexus 4 & 5. No phones newer then 2015 can do what i want! These nexus 4 & 5 models are THE BEST phones EVER MADE!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

We’ve probably seen the upper limit of what ARM SoCs can do with the A12 in terms of CPU power, the real game changer is going to be graphics moving forward and machine learning (see the Bionic section of A12 Bionic) I think. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, mate_mate91 said:

Exactly and it must be doing what owner wants! That's why i am still using nexus 4 & 5. No phones newer then 2015 can do what i want! These nexus 4 & 5 models are THE BEST phones EVER MADE!

The phone with the faster processor will still be better and have newer and better features, a difference in score of 30,000 just won't impact the experience. 

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

The phone with the faster processor will still be better and have newer and better features, a difference in score of 30,000 just won't impact the experience. 

On speed part i agree but not on feature side. Much newer phones then my nexus 4 still lack wireless charging and NFC and 3.5" jack :D

those that do backups

Just now, mate_mate91 said:

On speed part i agree but not on feature side. Much newer phones then my nexus 4 still lack wireless charging and NFC and 3.5" jack :D

On the other hand flagship phones, like the nexus was, will have those and a much better screen, an infinity display, a fingerprint reader etc all the bells and whistles that impact the user experience. If you don't need those then no point in upgrading unless you need an os requirement or processor requirement.

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

On the other hand flagship phones, like the nexus was, will have those and a much better screen, an infinity display, a fingerprint reader etc all the bells and whistles that impact the user experience. If you don't need those then no point in upgrading unless you need an os requirement or processor requirement.

I have OS requirement, that is the reason i have these phones. I run ubuntu touch, android, Sailfish OS and usually test some other OSs on them. I can run any android version on them and they run smooth and are fastest versions, stock android without all the bloatware from other manufacturers.

those that do backups

I don't think people will care a lot about it, to be completely honest.

Like my sister and her husband have the iPhone 8+ and XR respectively and on benchmarks, they absolutely cream my Note8. But in real world use, we honestly don't notice the difference. All our phones do exactly what we expect out of them based on our use cases.

I daresay a midrange phones with a recent model Qualcomm Snapdragon 6xx processor and decently fast storage will be more than dandy for the "typical" tasks.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I'd be cautious about these early benchmarks, because they're both relatively easy to fake and not always representative of the final product.  Not to say this is definitively fake... we just don't know.

With that said: the concern isn't so much that Samsung is behind Apple now as what it means for Samsung in the future.  Samsung doesn't want to see Apple gradually pull ahead to the point where Exynos chips are a non-starter if the Galaxy S is going to remain competitive.  That means having to rely solely on Snapdragon chips (mind you, Qualcomm's falling behind as well) or just accepting that it'll forever lag behind.  And devices might be 'fast enough' now, but you don't want to find out that you need an iPhone to use cutting edge feature X or Y simply because your Samsung phone isn't fast enough.

Android benchmarks are so f*cked up, unlike iOS they are running inside a Java VM (even if ART today is a lot better and optimized then the regular java vm used on desktop) with all the limitations.

Especially Samsung with all the modifications and bloatware inside

14 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

On the other hand flagship phones, like the nexus was

Nexus was never flagship.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Nexus was never flagship.

I thought it was like the google nexus one yarns ago? 

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

The Nexus were never meant to be sold as flagship phones.

They were initially phones designed for development.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Why people give a damn? Whether you have A12 or Snapdragon 845 (or latest 8150), they are all plenty fast. Hell, I'm running Snapdragon 820 which was flagship few years ago and it's still SUPER fast and responsive. Today, phones with Snapdragon 660 and 710 rival it, in mid end phones. Whatever you take, it's fast enough.

Antutu is absolutely useless. It doesn't test much of anything. Its only use is leaking new SoC releases.

Do not read into this.

1. Which run was this? 1st? 5th? 30th? The difference between a cold or hot start test can be >20%, enough to get it into the ballpark of the other phones.
  2. This is only a single benchmark. The previous Exynos was 25000 points below the SD845 in Antutu yet performed noticeably worse in real life, writing and/or burst tests due to the frequency scaling.
  3. We don't know if this is real.
  4. (Tying into the second point) Antutu isn't the real world. If benchmarks were exact representations of real world performance there would be no "X vs Y SPEED TEST" and no comment on the performance in the real world in phone reviews.

16 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Nexus was a lineup of budget and mid tier phones. The closest thing to a Nexus flagship was the Samsung Galaxy S4 Play Edition.

Pixel is the [Only in name and on paper] flagship lineup.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Is there a difference you can perceive through just usage and not a benchmark?

Because raw speed is kind of meaningless since these are 2 different OSes, 2 sets of apps, etc.

I get that people might still prefer iPhone but that might be entirely because of software not hardware limitations.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I don't get what it matters. Big leaps in performance matter a lot obviously, and having enough ram.... but a 10 or 20 or 30% performance difference just doesn't mean much at all. I can't imagine many people are playing competitive fast pace shooter games or whatever on their phones or rendering videos or whatever.