this pc building guide that verge made is unbarable

jjtierney02

@SpottyYes, the Verge can certainly pull down the video and do so many things to make the wrongs right. But questioning the credibility of the Verge is like a direct attack and leads to a negative interaction between the Verge and the Tech community. As much as the Verge sucks, you have to be political about the situation and strive to have a positive interaction. Otherwise, you just have two parties dissing each other and nobody learns anything. 

Ultimately, a collab between Linus Tech Tips and the Verge would solve all of the issues. 

1 minute ago, .Ric. said:

Seems like it has been taken down at last.

Can't find it either. I'm glad they've decided to take it down.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

So question time.

Do you think The Verge will:

A) Make a new video addressing the mistakes they made and respectfully apologise

or

B)Try to forget it ever happend and never speak of it again

or

C)Make up some excuse for removing the video and blame others for the public backlash

Discuss :)

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

So on their article:

" Editor’s note: An earlier version of this article included a video guide detailing similar steps on how to build a PC. Unfortunately, that video included a number of errors in the build process, and as a result we have removed it from this article. We have also updated this article to improve the order of the steps in the process. "

But it still uses pictures showing the missing thumbscrew for the CPU cooler, and incorrect RAM placement. Not to mention the travesty that is the final builds cable management.

Still, atleast the vid is gone. Funny whilst it lasted.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

11 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

So on their article:

" Editor’s note: An earlier version of this article included a video guide detailing similar steps on how to build a PC. Unfortunately, that video included a number of errors in the build process, and as a result we have removed it from this article. We have also updated this article to improve the order of the steps in the process. "

But it still uses pictures showing the missing thumbscrew for the CPU cooler, and incorrect RAM placement. Not to mention the travesty that is the final builds cable management.

Still, atleast the vid is gone. Funny whilst it lasted.

They should remove an article as well, because they "fixed it", but in reality it is still full of mistakes.

10 hours ago, lacion said:

-SNIP-

That's all I said in my OP was regarding the approach other YouTubers took in vilifying this video and how their response was irresponsible and unjustified. Users like @Spotty seem to think ridiculing someone because of their inaccuracies is okay and justified because that channel has 2million subs. All you're doing mate is adding to it, you aren't helping any are you?

The real stand up guy is Linus. One of the largest tech channels yet he hasn't followed suit in making a public mockery video, even if he might of had a laugh in private, but rather has been humble enough to offer his expertise. Perhaps some of his fans on here that were berating me should take a note of that.

Moreover there's plenty of notable YouTubers who made toxic content around this video who themselves have made mistakes in the past with their own builds. Also don't you think you should be taking into consideration The Verges INTENT here. Did they make the video to deliberately confuse and provide misinformation, did they intentionally have the desire to see a new system builder destroy their new build? I highly doubt it. So what warrants your attacks then? Nothing.

3 hours ago, kokakolia said:

@SpottyYes, the Verge can certainly pull down the video and do so many things to make the wrongs right. But questioning the credibility of the Verge is like a direct attack and leads to a negative interaction between the Verge and the Tech community. As much as the Verge sucks, you have to be political about the situation and strive to have a positive interaction. Otherwise, you just have two parties dissing each other and nobody learns anything.

There's a difference between criticism and toxic attacks. And while I saw petty replies on the original video and on twitter, the tech YouTubers that are (IMO) reliable only criticized.

While some were harsh, it was well deserved : if you look carefully, they covered up (or at the very least, skimmed) over most mistakes they did, while major tech YTers would be transparent and ACTUALLY point out the mistakes and explain why it was wrong (I've seen Kyle, Paul, Jay, Linus, Wendell and Stephen do it).

You can say what you want about "why" the Verge didn't correct themselves, but in the end it's just excuses, and the way Esposito replied on Twitter, it was also arrogance.

And that, to me, does hurt the "brand" : this is a subject I'm familiar with, but how many other subjects that I'm not familiar with did they reported on with so little research and planning as this one? And when contacted about errors/mistakes,, how many did they turn around in arrogance because "they weren't journalists"?

3 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Ultimately, a collab between Linus Tech Tips and the Verge would solve all of the issues. 

IMO, a collab with any big tech YouTubers would be a great idea. But seems like they removed it, so maybe it's to issue corrections? Or do reshoots? Who knows.

Bottom line, journalists aren't above anyone and also have to be held accountable if they're spreading misinformation, regardless of the subject.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On 16/09/2018 at 5:56 PM, The Lavian said:

I have saved the video in case The Verge choose to take it down - let me know if anyone here would like to see it if that does happen.

They did removed it!! xD

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Oh no they have the ear of over 2 million potential viewers and thousands more, too many people signed off on that mess, they deserve every ounce of ridicule and public shaming that the tech community can apply they waited way to long while they schemed on how to get out of it by removing likes in the end the tech community called them on it

Touché!

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

you got to love the internet, and this episode had everything. Fake news, lots of drama, an insane capacity to go back on the mess someone's made, and last but not least the pursuit of the all mighty dollar above all else.

Just remove the article, why don't you just let this die *facepalm*

7 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Because as funny as other Tech YouTubers may be, they come off as elitists by mocking the poor guy and criticizing the Verge. It really gives the public a bad impression of the online PC gaming community. 

When someone is struggling, lend them a hand and please don’t mock them. We’ve all been there, clueless. 

Pls read my Comments on this issue as well.

I already pointed out, that they didn't even read the Manuals of the Components!

You would have done a better Job with this when building it according to the manuals!

Especially for my MSI Board, there are Links to youtube!

For example this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv89nhFk1vc&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPELIdVNZUI&feature=youtu.be

For his CPU, this would be appropriate:

That is according to the Manual by a Manufacturer.

Here the ASUS Manual:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-G-GAMING-WI-FI-AC/

You click on Support, than Manual/Documents and download it.

The Installation guide is at Page 2-3, not like my MSI on literally the first page of the Booklet.

So now look at the pictures of the Manual and compare it with what they did in the Video.

Conclusion: They didn't read the manuals.

Another Thing why the Tech Youtubers were so angry and made "Reaction Videos" or other stuff is because you should expect a site with 2Million Subs on Youtube that is a Mainstream Outlet to be able to know how to reasearch this topic!

So I disagree with you. And also they wouldn't have accepted the Help anyway.

As you have seen, the Guy in the Video was Black. Linus is not.
So they can't have a "White Guy" show a "Person of Color" how it is done, because Slavery and other Bullshit.

While you are thinking: "Man, WTF?! You can't be serious, dude. That's a Joke."

And to be honest, I wish that that was a Joke...

Because how you look is irrelevant, what counts is what you do and how good you are at what you are doing...

But there is another Video about this Topic by Tim Pool. And he also took a piss at the Verge, because they didn't take it down quickly enough. But in the End, they did. The Video is no longer there, they removed it, finally!

That's what they should have done in the First Place!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

48 minutes ago, mrbilky said:

they deserve every ounce of ridicule and public shaming that the tech community can apply

They do.

Because they didn't read the Manual. 

That is the bare minimum of Research to do, when building the PCs.

And that is why the Manuals are made.

They are made for people like him, to use them for the Installation.

Its not a shame to read the manual of a device!

Its a shame to not read it and totally mess it up!

And that is why they deserve all the shit thrown at them...

First thing I do is read the manual for the mobo before I even take it out of the box.

That's like the number one unwritten rule to building a computer.

I couldn’t decide between laughing and wanting to scream when I watched this video. An accurate representation of the pain I felt is captured by Kakyoin here.

C2556F4A-28CD-4B97-B859-E730E37FFCE7.jpeg

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

@wkdpaulStep 1: Delete Video, Step 2: with Linus, Step 3: profit

@Stefan Payne You can reiterate how much the Verge screwed up the video 1000 times. We get it. The video sucks. It should be taken down, and it was. However, the Verge is a popular website with a lot of viewers. As a PC enthusiast, don’t you want more people to get into the hobby? So if the Verge gets people into PC building with a helpful video that’s awesome. The first attempt was a failure, so some feedback is helpful. People don’t respond to feedback very well if you’re a jerk you know...

30 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

The video sucks. It should be taken down, and it was.

pls watch Tim Pool's Video about this issue, its called "

Verge Called out For Fake News Deflects Using Social Justice".

There are more information about this issue.

In short: The issue is:

a) they didn't invest a minute of research (=reading the Manuals)

b) they tried to insult the critics.

With any other issue, they would be able to deflect it using "Racism".

However, the Verge is a popular website with a lot of viewers.

That is why they deserved the flak they got and 10 times more.

Because it is a professional site, run by "Professionals", that might at one time even have gotten a Degree in "Journalism", they should have known how to do research.

We ain't talking about a teenager in his Mother's Basement messing up a PC Build Guide but you try to tell us we should treat them to the same degree we would the Teenager.

You ever heard the Phrase:
"With great Power comes great Responsibility"??

And the reaction to the Video was proportional to the Power! The Responses were even holding back and not going all out. They could have been much meaner, if they wanted to - but they didn't.

As a PC enthusiast, don’t you want more people to get into the hobby?

No, I want people to do what they like, do get into it because they like it, not because some random dude of the Internet told him to do it.

Its like the most hated Computer people around, the ones that once learned "Informatiker" (I believe you might call them Computer Scientists), who aren't really interested in the job and only do it because they are paid to do it, they don't learn new things and so on. But they tell other people "that doesn't make sense, because its in a book on PC Architecture, you are wrong, book says so"....

I don't want that. I don't want people to do things they hate, especially if it is about IT.

I want people to do what they are good at, and if possible, what they love.

So if the Verge gets people into PC building with a helpful video that’s awesome.

But they don't and won't.

Its just a Building Video. Nothing more.

Its not something that fuels interest and especially not on the Verge. 
They don't go deep enough for that.

And it was a rather superficial Video anyway, even if what the guy told would have been according to the manual and he did his homework.

The first attempt was a failure, so some feedback is helpful. People don’t respond to feedback very well if you’re a jerk you know...

Well, it wasn't a failure really becuase it gave us some proof of how "modern Media Companys" (the Mainstream ones) work. 

And that is: No reasearch, no fact checking, just some people doing stuff without reading up on the story.

You can take the "build a PC" and replace it with anything else.

And the Verge (Esposito) were the first to call Tech Youtubers not Journalists, long before this video was done. Now the Tech Youtubers could get back at them and they did. 

And the people responding to the Feedback weren't jerks. They might be direct and tell them how it is without being polite (like I am, because its getting ignored if you are too polite). 

And the Responses were really bad from the People Involved - as you would expect from this Group. 

"If PC building fans showed the same concern about excess thermal paste as they did to toxic gaming communities..."

And the Flak they got was because of Lazyness and lack of research.
As for that Research, readin the Manuals of the Components, or as we call it "RTFM" would be enough!

On 9/16/2018 at 5:32 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

No they weren't, they just used a diagram for an AGP 8x card :P

LOL that's even worse.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

I don't know if this was posted earlier and I can't be bothered to look.

Spoiler

kkl

Pretty damned easy to claim "muh-racism" when you've not only deleted the video, but before that disabled comments, leaving you free to cherry pick and completely control the narrative. I call bullshit.

All of this makes me think that The Verge is run by people who are completely out of their depth when it comes to dealing with a viewer base that is as passionate and knowledgeable as the PC building community. Let alone the wider internet.

Their video is not only misleading, but their background editing and fixing of the various "minor factual errors" (see: Major fuck ups) without mentioning them at all, is what stinks.

Their video is laid out and presented in such a way that the uninformed would think "oh, I can do all of this exactly like they did and nothing will go wrong".

I want more people to join PC gaming, but not if they're going under the tutelage of the ignorant who will only lead them to have a bad experience and turn them off to the idea of building a PC.

Bad advice is worse than no advice at all. Even worse is trying to disguise bad advice as good, knowledgeable advice.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I still for the life of me can't figure out what he intended to use the allen key on?

the table?

oh god watching that first video hurt my soul so much those poor poor components lol!

pretty funny though. is that in response to a terrible build log or something?

Just now, Rethilgore said:

oh god watching that first video hurt my soul so much those poor poor components lol!

pretty funny though. is that in response to a terrible build log or something?

yea, the second video will give you the contexrt