this pc building guide that verge made is unbarable

jjtierney02

1. Refers to zip ties as "tweezers". 
2. Anti-static "bracelet" has no form of grounding. 
3. Refers to the I/O shield as a "brace". 
4. Minor thing but still bugs me - He's using a pocket knife instead of a real screwdriver. 
5. Another minor thing - Says that 2666 MHz memory is "fast". Not really. 
6. Puts RAM in the incorrect slots. 
7. Refers to PCI-e slot as a "lane" and says it doesn't matter which one you use. 
8. Says the power supply will "short circuit" if it touches the metal on the case. 
9. Installs the power supply backwards. 
10. Installs the AIO CPU cooler with no fans. (You can see the fans installed later, but they definitely were not installed at first) 
11. Installs the CPU last. 
12. Throws away the plastic CPU socket protector (You should keep this to protect the pins if you ever are swapping out your CPU or motherboard). 
13. Calls the CPU socket a "CPU holder, or rather, slot". 
14. CPU is not properly seated when he tries to close the bracket. The CPU is still moving around. 
15. Claims that "every CPU cooler actually comes with a bit of thermal paste already applied". Completely false. 
16. Claims it is "good PC building practice" to add extra thermal paste. Then proceeds to add WAY more than you would need even if the AIO cooler had none. 
17. Says the AIO cooler mounting brackets keep the cooler "raised off the processor" but still allow it to make contact. False, and contradictory.

3 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Oh, and I forgot to mention when he's listing what tools you need, he calls cable ties "tweezers" ... They have to be trolling ...

yeah i noticed that one too

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

the sad part is someone who doesn't know better will believe these things, and now that they disabled comments, no one can help them

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

12 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

They seem pretty desperate to make it popular.

5b9c82cba4cdf_Sanstitre.jpg.0db7e9502bf91a991a28dc540c207be6.jpg

It doesn't have to cost thousands

*spends 2 thousand*

hmmmmmmmmmm

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

I actually feel bad for this guy. Clearly he's unqualified to make this tutorial video but I have a feeling it's not his fault.The Verge probably had this video on their to do list, no one picked it up, and then they assigned this to some intern, who probably didn't ask for it, last minute because Capital One already paid for it. I have a feeling he probably googled a bunch of stuff and had no time to really research the topic. The fact that he used LOL to benchmark the PC indicates this, probably from a Google search for popular games, because if you look at the actual game play, he clearly does not play at all. I hope the guy in the video doesn't get too much grief. The Verge on the other hand should have known better.

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

And on Reddit, there's people defending that video xD

You're joking...

:)

I noped out as soon as he brought out a mini spatula for the thermal paste. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

29 minutes ago, seon123 said:

You're joking...

Nope, sort that one by "controversial" (some are obviously trolling, the rest 

..) :

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

5 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

It doesn't have to cost thousands

*spends 2 thousand*

hmmmmmmmmmm

Not even a good one

5 hours ago, pewpewboom said:

10. Installs the AIO CPU cooler with no fans. (You can see the fans installed later, but they definitely were not installed at first) 

Puncturing the radiator in the process from the looks of it. If he actually screwed the screws through the whole thing like he says.

1 hour ago, willmc said:

I actually feel bad for this guy. Clearly he's unqualified to make this tutorial video but I have a feeling it's not his fault.The Verge probably had this video on their to do list, no one picked it up, and then they assigned this to some intern, who probably didn't ask for it, last minute because Capital One already paid for it. I have a feeling he probably googled a bunch of stuff and had no time to really research the topic. The fact that he used LOL to benchmark the PC indicates this, probably from a Google search for popular games, because if you look at the actual game play, he clearly does not play at all. I hope the guy in the video doesn't get too much grief. The Verge on the other hand should have known better.

Yeah it's such a shame :( 

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

6 hours ago, pewpewboom said:

16. Claims it is "good PC building practice" to add extra thermal paste. Then proceeds to add WAY more than you would need even if the AIO cooler had none. 

I did go back to check the AIO install after seeing comments on Reddit.

If you look carefully, he applies the thermal paste in some sort of a circle, and after a cut, it looks like he tried installing the AIO on the CPU but removed it : you see the paste was flattened and spread out leaving an empty spot in the middle, this will likely cause one of those infamous "air bubble" ... But seeing how big the gap is, I would call this one a cavity!! xD

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

The fact that they disabled comments and likes/dislikes just shows they are a bunch of snowflakes who can't accept very valid and justified criticism. 

Hope the Verge's senior staff realize they have just become a meme.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

1. "You need to spend $1000 for a gaming PC, but we went all out and spent $2000"
  2. Says that you need an Allen key to build a PC (never seen using it)
  3. Need to use thermal paste spatula (never seen using)
  4. "tweezers" (AKA cable ties, also never seen using)
  5. Uses a swiss army knife instead of a screwdriver
  6. Anti static wrist band that is nothing more than one of those STANyourground bracelets
  7. "If you are building a streaming PC, you want to focus on parts like a core i5 or core i3 processor that require less energy" (I sincerely hope he means netflix streaming and not twitch streaming, but by this point in the video I'm honestly not sure)
  8. "First step is to take everything out of their boxes"
  9. "Put everything in to the case to make sure it fits" < Bit late to figure that out if you have already unboxed everything and can't return it
  10. "Screw with confidence" ... I try...
  11. "I chose Azeses Z-Three-Seven-Zero motherboard"
  12. "Pay close attention to the... [line?]... Brace?... That goes to the... [line?]... Back? of the computer"
  13. "You really have to make sure you hammer [the 'brace'] in"
  14. "We bought this memory for two reasons... It's fast... It's 2666Mhz which is pretty fast"
  15. Not installing memory in correct dual memory configuration (I thought you wanted that fast memory?)
  16. "Now we're going to install the hard drive, or in this case a NVMe SSD"... "When it comes to a hard drive you want files to write quickly and you want games to load quickly, so that's why it's best you use an SSD" (Should call it a Storage drive if referring to both SSDs and HDDs)
  17. SSD is the Kingston UV500 480GB, which is SATA based not NVMe as claimed in the video
  18. [When installing GPU] "Which [PCIe] lane you choose depends entirely on what other parts you're going to put in the system"
  19. "I'm going to pick the top one [PCIe slot], just because the SSD is at the bottom and I don't want to cover it because I think it looks nice"
  20. "I chose Corsairs 850W PSU because I need enough headroom for raytracing GPUs" (I guess he did technically say GPUs as in plural, so maybe he's planning on doing SLI with 2x2080tis)
  21. "So all you have to do is take the brick [power supply]"
  22. "Make sure you align it [power supply] with rubber pads so it doesn't come in contact with the case and short circuit the system"
  23. Installs the PSU backwards, blocking the PSU fan
  24. Recommends installing the AIO radiator first and having the 'hose' hang off
  25. Installs radiator without fans attached to the Rad
  26. Uses the fan mount screws to screw all the way THROUGH the radiator to mount it to the case, which will damage the radiator
  27. Doesn't install all of the screws in to the radiator (which is okay since he was doing it wrong anyway)
  28. "Every power supply is going to come with a big bag of velcro cables"
  29. Goes through the list of all the power cables you will need to install - Motherboard power cable, GPU cables, RGB cables, CPU cooler cables - Doesn't mention CPU Power cable
  30. Finally begins installing the CPU after installing the Motherboard, PSU, RAM, GPU, SSD, and AIO.
  31. "Take the little plastic part out and just toss that out"
  32. "Now we have an exposed CPU holder... Or rather, slot"
  33. Boasts about his 8th gen Hexacore CPU. "Year, we got one!" (Is actually an Intel Confidential Chip for some reason, likely just 8700k. See image below)
  34. "Every CPU cooler actually already comes with thermal paste already applied"
  35. "But it's usually not enough [thermal paste]"
  36. "It's good PC building practice to have extra and layer it on top of the CPU"
  37. Extra layer of thermal paste application method (see images below)
  38. Doesn't screw down all mounts for the CPU cooler
  39. Only tests the GTX1080 at 1080p.
  40. Playing LoL as Yasou and doing that badly underneath friendly tower playing against a single BOT (see images below - Note it is less than 3 minutes after the game has started, note his health, and how his D & F are on cooldown) [Someone mentioned they thought it was fake footage and he wasn't actually playing, but I honestly believe that's just how badly he plays judging by his PC building skills]
  41. Tests the performance of a gaming PC, but locks the framerate during the test because "I can get 300FPS but that's just too much so I locked it to 120fps"
  42. "And of course now we have a computer here to test and benchmark games here at The Verge"

Spoiler

image.png.e052790f67ed6557d71e6ec61d446a06.png

image.thumb.png.5268235e67f67d03cdd58a72492077ec.png

image.png.8dd2e3b3a905ed37e57986adb2263254.png

I fully and wholeheartedly support any new user wanting to get in to building a PC, and for someone who isn't educated in it and experienced as much as we all on this forum are, I can understand them making mistakes like this guy did in this video. The young guy tried and it looks like he didn't have a lot of help either and just got thrown in to it without much warning or even perhaps interest in what he was doing. He seemed to be trying to make up a lot of it as he went along. As much as I love to see new people exploring the PC world, this video should NEVER have been released as a guide video, and certainly not by a 'respectable' tech-based media outlet.

How anyone at The Verge involved in this project gave it the green light is beyond me. I hate to imagine what the editors cut out.

The Verge saw the shitstorm that happened with Avram Pilch over at Tom'sHardware and said "Hold my beer..."

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I've never played LoL but is this a really bad framerate for the game? If so, seems to me that admirable thermal paste application really did wonders.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

14 minutes ago, Phentos said:

I've never played LoL but is a really bad framerate for the game? If so, seems to me that admirable thermal paste application really did wonders.

It's a locked framerate either with Vsync or a FPS limit set. He went in to the settings of the game and locked the FPS to not go any higher than 120FPS. In the video he explains he did this because it could go as high as 300FPS, but it was just an absurd amount of FPS that he didn't want so he locked it at a lower FPS.

Locking FPS does have practical applications - But is about the most stupid thing you can do if you're trying to benchmark the performance of the system.

I'm not entirely certain what an 8700k + 1080 get in LoL, but 300+FPS that he claims sounded about right.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

11 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

They disabled likes/dislikes too xD

I, for lack of better words, just cannot even.

That's just scummy.

What's the bet someone's going to screw up a PC or something because they decided to do those rather than just remove the video.

13 minutes ago, N1NJ4W4RR10R said:

That's just scummy.

What's the bet someone's going to screw up a PC or something because they decided to do those rather than just remove the video.

Some people don't really know better, unfortunately. The main problem is the misinformation he's spreading with this video. A lot of that is blatantly incorrect.

The I/O shield does nothing to help the board line up with the standoffs.

The PSU is in no danger of shorting out the case unless you have no PSU shell.

The board is not likely to crack from being screwed in place.

Stock thermal paste is plenty. You don't need any on top of that.

He also missed dual channel, which would be better and more aesthetically pleasing than the configuration he used. As pointed out by Science Studio, some boards won't even boot in that configuration.

And so forth, I could really go on and on pointing out the flaws.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!