The censorship in BF V israel

crosstiger

PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL AS THIS COULD BE A TOUCHY SUBJECT

So I played the open beta with some friends now and except of the usual things people complain about we found it oddly amusing and really sad that the ingame chat is now censored and not to little either. While I don't completely disagree with censoring bad language there just is a point where it gets too far.

Just try to type the words "Gay", "Jew", "DLC" or "White male" in chat and take a look. Yeah it will just write "*****" in chat.

Anything more to say?

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

Profilepicture by Chibiterasu-chan

11 minutes ago, crosstiger said:

So I played the open beta with some friends now and except of the usual things people complain about we found it oddly amusing and really sad that the ingame chat is now censored and not to little either. While I don't completely disagree with censoring bad language there just is a point where it gets too far.

Just try to type the words "Gay" or "Jew" in chat and take a look. Yeah it will just write "*****" in chat.

Anything more to say?

When the game releases chat censorship will be a server cvar (at least it normally is)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

When the game releases chat censorship will be a server cvar (at least it normally is)

I really really like this game to succed. But at this point I really really really like it to crash and burn. Such a waste.

3 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

Try writing DLC in chat...... :) Yup Thats a swear word according to EA :)

You got to be kidding me..

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

I don't remember what I tried to write, but the chat censored the word "its"... O.o I've mostly enjoyed the beta and I definitely like the gunplay more than in BF1, but the overly-sensitive chat is just stupid.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

They probably should tone down the censorship because it is a mature rated game. People know what they are paying for. 

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

24 minutes ago, I-r0k said:

They probably should tone down the censorship because it is a mature rated game. People know what they are paying for. 

At this point you can completely let go of any censorship. We are old enough after all. But yea I keep forgetting that it's 2018... So... there is that.

Greetings from germany

Well... fun fact, Netflix reviews don't let you type Netflix. So reviews are full of people typing Nflix or something.

Censoring chat is stupid though. It should be a per person option at best. However, I'll say that aside from Kotaku and Dice, most people don't get that offended by 12 year olds online typing "Jews" and "Women."

Off topic-ish, but holy hell I hate Steams censor. Why can't it EVER remember my fake birthday since I can't be bothered enough to actually put it in for every Mature title that I come across? Or that I'm not a business account, which makes even less sense. Most business that would let you look at Steam probably don't care about that, and any that do should just block it. And why is there no option to uncensor reviews or forum posts?

#Muricaparrotgang

11 hours ago, crosstiger said:

Just try to type the words "Gay" or "Jew" in chat and take a look. Yeah it will just write "*****" in chat.

Anything more to say?

Maybe there will be an option to disable it.

10 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I don't remember what I tried to write, but the chat censored the word "its"... O.o I've mostly enjoyed the beta and I definitely like the gunplay more than in BF1, but the overly-sensitive chat is just stupid.

Maybe your previous word end with "T" xD I know some MMORPG i play before censored anything that end with "T" and start with "IT". Pretty broken and sometime hilarious. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Well we better add another one to the list. "White male".. anything to say?

Source:

https://de.reddit.com/r/LivestreamFail/comments/9e2n9t/battlefield_v_censors_white_man_in_the_chat/

Greetings from germany

I wonder how many people canceled their preorder over this shit.

Also some other people are saying that the maps are tiny and more "Standard Shooter" Maps, not Battlefield...

Oh and by the way, the flag shown is the Imperial German Navy Flagg...

That one was discontinued back in 1918 when Germany surrendered...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Just read the official battlefield forums. People are sharing their opinions about this and the moderators are editing their posts, deleting them and banning users because they are unhappy with the situation.

I mean, they go on about it just being implemented and the open beta is the perfect place to test the profanity filter. No it is not. Everybody knows that the open betas we get today are a pretty much a reflection of the finished game, almost like a demo. This should have been implemented in the alpha and tested from there. Instead, you have words like 'white man' being censored, but not 'yellow man' or 'red man' which are racial terms for native americans and chinese people. EA's reaction? 'It's not like it matters, there's no reason for you to say white man in the chat blah blah blah'. Would they be so blase if 'black man' had been censored? You bet your bottom dollar not because everyone would be screaming that EA is racist left, right and centre. Banning the word 'Jew', I'm surprised EA hasn't been branded anti-semitic yet. And yes, people have cancelled their pre-orders over this, just read the BF forums. EA is going to take hit in their revenue this year because of BS like this, not to mention DICE giving their fans the middle finger when people disagreed with certain elements of the game. They lost a ton of pre-orders right there. "Don't buy the game" "Alrighty then".

They then go on to say they are using an algorithm to censor words and that it is automatic. I'm not inclined to believe this when I see the above. How does EA/DICE brush it off? "It's accidental". Sure it is. Someone programmed those words into the filter. If it's not fit for purpose, give us an option to turn it off locally or completely remove it. I mean, I typed "Why are they censoring words in an 18+ game?" in the chat the other night. Guess what got censored? 'an 18+ game'. For real. It's so pathetic you have to just laugh at it, like the guy in this video... (right at the start)

I know censoring in-game is nothing new. GTA Online, World of Tanks, Star Wars: The Old Republic. Most of these games have toggles to turn it off locally.

As far as the game rating goes - they are using that as an excuse as well. "The online content isn't covered by the rating". Right. So, the base game is rated '18' or 'M'. You need the base game to play online, therefore, the rating also covers the online element of the game. What the rating doesn't take into account is player to player interactions etc as these are unpredictable.

Then there's DICE's political element in all of this. When Rockstar implemented a chat filter into their game, they made no statement about it whatsoever. It was just there. In fact, R* have previously made huge posts effectively telling SJWs where to go when they have demanded changes to a game or the company's position. What did DICE do before implementing the filter, made a huge statement (read song and dance) about implementing it to prevent people from being offended etc. In a game that has you killing Nazi's and Nazi's killing you, whilst screaming all kinds of profanity. Great job DICE. Btw, you can't say 'Nazi' in game but you can say 'Hitler'. Another great job, DICE.

Let's face it. If you want to be toxic in-game or troll, a chat filter is not going to stop you. They will either do it without cursing or using slurs, or they will just find creative ways to respell them to circumvent the filter - making the filter a wasted venture. It's pointless. If they really want to remove the toxic behaviour in the chat, remove the chat. Problem solved, everyone lives happily ever after and walks the yellow brick road. What does EA/DICE actually do? Continue to annoy and infuriate people after the farces of Battlefront 1 and 2.

Well, holy s&!t. Sorry for the long post.

@LinusTech what are your thoughts on this? Perhaps something for the next WAN show?

4 hours ago, FMJSniper said:

Just read the official battlefield forums. People are sharing their opinions about this and the moderators are editing their posts, deleting them and banning users because they are unhappy with the situation.

I mean, they go on about it just being implemented and the open beta is the perfect place to test the profanity filter. No it is not. Everybody knows that the open betas we get today are a pretty much a reflection of the finished game, almost like a demo. This should have been implemented in the alpha and tested from there. Instead, you have words like 'white man' being censored, but not 'yellow man' or 'red man' which are racial terms for native americans and chinese people. EA's reaction? 'It's not like it matters, there's no reason for you to say white man in the chat blah blah blah'. Would they be so blase if 'black man' had been censored? You bet your bottom dollar not because everyone would be screaming that EA is racist left, right and centre. Banning the word 'Jew', I'm surprised EA hasn't been branded anti-semitic yet. And yes, people have cancelled their pre-orders over this, just read the BF forums. EA is going to take hit in their revenue this year because of BS like this, not to mention DICE giving their fans the middle finger when people disagreed with certain elements of the game. They lost a ton of pre-orders right there. "Don't buy the game" "Alrighty then".

They then go on to say they are using an algorithm to censor words and that it is automatic. I'm not inclined to believe this when I see the above. How does EA/DICE brush it off? "It's accidental". Sure it is. Someone programmed those words into the filter. If it's not fit for purpose, give us an option to turn it off locally or completely remove it. I mean, I typed "Why are they censoring words in an 18+ game?" in the chat the other night. Guess what got censored? 'an 18+ game'. For real. It's so pathetic you have to just laugh at it, like the guy in this video... (right at the start)

I know censoring in-game is nothing new. GTA Online, World of Tanks, Star Wars: The Old Republic. Most of these games have toggles to turn it off locally.

As far as the game rating goes - they are using that as an excuse as well. "The online content isn't covered by the rating". Right. So, the base game is rated '18' or 'M'. You need the base game to play online, therefore, the rating also covers the online element of the game. What the rating doesn't take into account is player to player interactions etc as these are unpredictable.

Then there's DICE's political element in all of this. When Rockstar implemented a chat filter into their game, they made no statement about it whatsoever. It was just there. In fact, R* have previously made huge posts effectively telling SJWs where to go when they have demanded changes to a game or the company's position. What did DICE do before implementing the filter, made a huge statement (read song and dance) about implementing it to prevent people from being offended etc. In a game that has you killing Nazi's and Nazi's killing you, whilst screaming all kinds of profanity. Great job DICE. Btw, you can't say 'Nazi' in game but you can say 'Hitler'. Another great job, DICE.

Let's face it. If you want to be toxic in-game or troll, a chat filter is not going to stop you. They will either do it without cursing or using slurs, or they will just find creative ways to respell them to circumvent the filter - making the filter a wasted venture. It's pointless. If they really want to remove the toxic behaviour in the chat, remove the chat. Problem solved, everyone lives happily ever after and walks the yellow brick road. What does EA/DICE actually do? Continue to annoy and infuriate people after the farces of Battlefront 1 and 2.

@LinusTech what are your thoughts on this? Perhaps something for the next WAN show?

I disagree, they would be called racist right. Just.... racist right. xD

Censoring GTA online is ludicrous to me. Anyone playing GTA online or off shouldn't need a censor. If parents don't like it, why the hell are they letting their kids play GTA at all? Not to mention billboards advertising perfume to make you "Smell like a bitch." why would they censor chat but not their own billboards?

I also feel like most if not all games say the online is pretty much otherwise unrated away from the base game. Least most of the ESRB ratings I've come across said that.

#Muricaparrotgang

Why Israel in the title?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 hour ago, Raskolnikov said:

Why Israel in the title?

You are new to the internet? Put a space after is and switch ae.

Greetings from germany

TO UNLOCK THR FOLLOWING WORDS PLEASE PAY $55 TO SAY IN CHAT

ASTRAY NOIR

CPU

Ryzen 5 3600

Cooler

Corsair H100I PRO

RAM

PNY XLR-8 EPIC-X DDR4-3200 CL16 32GB

GPU

ASUS ROG RTX 2070

STORAGE

SAMSUNG 850 EVO, 2xSEAGATE BARRACUDA PRO 1TB,A2000 1TB

Case

NZXT H500 

PSU

Enermax Revolution DF 650W

MONITOR

MSI MAG272,LG 22MP68BQ,DELL D2015H

PERIPHIRALS

Ducky One 2 (HORIZON) || Glorious Model O- Pink || G305 || Razer Nari Essential || HyperX Cloud II

19 hours ago, FMJSniper said:

I think it's interesting how EA is starting to backpedal by claiming things like a chat filter is a "bug", it got implemented on purpose and EA/DICE approved of it. Also seems really insecure of EA/DICE to censor the abbreviation "DLC".  But i've seen people be toxic in game anyway even with the chat censoring, but how can people handle a 18+ game with soldiers in game yelling swear words yet can't handle seeing it in a chat that can be turned off by pressing "H"?

If EA/DICE wants censor some obviously racist stuff I don't have any problem with that, but if people can't handle seeing the same cursing that you hear in the game maybe they shouldn't be playing an 18+/M rated game.

EA/DICE just needs to either give players the option to turn the censor off, or leave the chat alone entirely like previous titles such as BF4 and leave custom server hosts to decide what is inappropriate.

10 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Why Israel in the title?

8 hours ago, crosstiger said:

You are new to the internet? Put a space after is and switch ae.

Also a play on words seeing as 'Jew' is a banned word in the game - even though it is a legit shortened name.

6 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I think it's interesting how EA is starting to backpedal by claiming things like a chat filter is a "bug", it got implemented on purpose and EA/DICE approved of it.

Oh for sure. They even made a statement about implementing it prior to launching the beta.

What they are trying to say is that the filter is automated and based on an algorithm. Well, someone had to programme the words and their combinations into the filter. I have no issues with banning racial terms, but banning things like 'jew' and 'which man' is a political statement by EA/DICE. It is not their place to decide what does and doesn't constitute freedom of speech and expression. I know in the US, private companies can do pretty much whatever they want and the 1st amendment prevents the government from interfering with it, but over here in the EU, only the government can interfere with that right (for the purpose of upholding the law) - not a private company.

anddddddddd here is EA shutting down people trying to discuss the filter they implemented in the game and their fan boys rishing to defend EA.

profanity.png