Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D13H4RD

German website PCGamesHardware tests the RTX 2080 Ti on Tomb Raider with a WIP implementation of ray tracing: 1080p at 30-60FPS

I bet money that if ray tracing takes off and they can't manage a smaller transistor node that they will start taking away CUDA cores to give more die space to the Tensor and RT cores.

Main Gaming PC - i7 5820K @ 4.5GHz 1.25V - EVGA Hybrid 1070ti 2100Mhz Boost 8Ghz Mem.- MSI X99 SLI Krait - Corsair H115i - GSkill Ripjaws V 3000MHz - HX850i - Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 512GB - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Phanteks P400S

Laptop - HP Spectre x360 15t -  i7 8705G - Vega M GL - 16GB DDR4 - 512GB NVME - Windows 10

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

I want to mention that Jensen Huang always said: "... in the future..."

So RTX 20-Series is only the start line for Realtime Ray tracing.

The other thing is that game developer/publisher won't force you to use Realtime Ray tracing because there will be more users with graphics cards which don't support the new feature.

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

They showed a bit during the event and its on their site somewhere but its very minimal. Reflection in cars, eyes, etc...Its cool and looks good but its not night and day.

The problem is someone on reddit was already crying pay to win as you can see reflection behind you and around corners. 

Yeah gimp fps for that situational reflection. I would say it would likely hinder more than help in that situation. 

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

They showed a bit during the event and its on their site somewhere but its very minimal. Reflection in cars, eyes, etc...Its cool and looks good but its not night and day.

The problem is someone on reddit was already crying pay to win as you can see reflection behind you and around corners. 

Even after watching the entire video I have only really seen what call an improvement on the damp bricks, all other parts are hardly noticeable. It is quite disappointing to see this in the main TWISMTBP (NVIDIA loves acronyms seemingly) and in an open world single player game, the same in Battlefield would only be seen if you went out of your way to find a puddle to look at (even then BF4 has rather good reflections).

Maybe those people should think about it first. You are cutting down the resolution heavily as well as dropping the framerate to sub 60fps levels for the ability to use that one car door on that one map in one situation to predict if someone is coming at a distance at which you could already hear footsteps. Short of a fight in a mirror factory nothing is going to change.

If that's with a 2080 Ti, then I imagine the 2070 is unable, seeing as it has 40% less RT ability.

At some level, this isn't surprising. It's a brand new implementation of technology that's going to need years of programming development work.

23 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

If that's with a 2080 Ti, then I imagine the 2070 is unable, seeing as it has 40% less RT ability.

At some level, this isn't surprising. It's a brand new implementation of technology that's going to need years of programming development work.

To be fair this is super early implementation, they wont even ship the game with RTX so we may see some godlike optimizations, or almost nothing by the time they patch it in. This is brand new technology so it's hard to say

Delidded 3770k 4.4GHz | Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition RX 580 1550MHz/2250MHz  | #2 FireStrike Extreme & #2 Superposition 1080p Xtreme | 32GB DDR3 1600MHz

22 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

To be fair this is super early implementation, they wont even ship the game with RTX so we may see some godlike optimizations, or almost nothing by the time they patch it in. This is brand new technology so it's hard to say

I wouldn't expect them to figure things out really well until at least 2020. The parallel work-flow stuff means there's entirely new considerations & bottlenecks to work through.

2 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I wouldn't expect them to figure things out really well until at least 2020. The parallel work-flow stuff means there's entirely new considerations & bottlenecks to work through.

Check box in nvidia control panel like physix? Along with in game option too is what I'm thinking

9 minutes ago, pas008 said:

Check box in nvidia control panel like physix? Along with in game option too is what I'm thinking

Likely to be an in-game option like hairworks or Nvidia PCSS, I don't imagine you can force it through the control panel

Delidded 3770k 4.4GHz | Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition RX 580 1550MHz/2250MHz  | #2 FireStrike Extreme & #2 Superposition 1080p Xtreme | 32GB DDR3 1600MHz

Someone told me 2070 is aimed for 4K. kek. 

| Intel Xeon E3-1230v2 | MSI B75A-G43 | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | RipjawsX F3 4GB x2 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD| 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | Razer Onza |

1 minute ago, S w a t s o n said:

Likely to be an in-game option like hairworks or Nvidia PCSS, I don't imagine you can force it through the control panel

Either way is fine

I could see it now enough cuda cores too run games 240 plus fps at 720/1080p

Rt cores and enough tensor for ray

tracing effects then more tensor to upscale to which ever resolution you want

17 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

There was a discussion on these forums about whether we hit a wall with how games can look like and whether more fps + more k in resolution is the only thing that can be upgraded now.

Turns out it isn't. Ray Tracing may need some time to mature as technology but it's the future and it genuinely looks better but it does not surprise me that it takes such a hit when enabled.

The first RTX generation might be a bit too soon with such performance loss but I much prefer this direction - new tech that makes games look better instead of just going for 5-8k resolution. 

Well, we did not hit a wall without RT. Game developers could still add more poligons and make higher resolution textures.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Games that will do RT now, will not do full RT, but selective/not full RT. From what I have seen, that what Shadow of the thomb raider will do.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

This begs the question - is the difference even worth the performance hit? Even if the final performance is doubled, who's going to spend 1200$ to play at 1080p?

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D  CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

18 hours ago, NovaMan01 said:

is ray-tracing the new Crysis of the decade? (imagine fi Crysis supported ray tracing that would be the ultimate benchmark)

Crysis doesn't need to support raytracing.
Raytracing needs to support Crysis! 

;)xD

18 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

will be using very high end monitors as well, like 1080p 240Hz

Sounds like you have different taste to me when calling something a high end monitor. To me a high end monitor is high colour accuracy, high resolution, uniform brightness, high static contrast ratio etc which a 1080p 240Hz monitor will always fail at (currently) :(. Personally I'd call the above fast trash xD.

Ray tracing is cool but I can't see it mattering to me to much.

System Specs:

CPU:  Intel 8700K (3.7-4.7GHz Turbo)  GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOR 8GB MB: MSI Z370 Gaming Plus   RAM: Corsair 3000MHz 2x8GB(16GB)  CPU Cooler: Kraken X42 AIO  Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster Z  SSD: OCZ ARC100 480GB  HDD: Western Digital 1TB Black, Seagate Barracuda 1TB both 7200RPM, WD Green 2TB (storage)  PSU: Pro750W XFX 80 Plus Gold  Case: NZXT H500 Optical Drive: -

Posted · Original PosterOP
9 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Definitely. It needs more time and work. 

This is only a step. The pace of development would probably accelerate after RTX's release 

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5