Outraged by the implementation of Women in Battlefield 5

Agonizel
Go to solution Solved by Agonizel,
1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It feels out of place and forced, and I think most people feel that way.

The thing is, a lot of people such as myself - a battlefield fan - didn't care and it didn't felt out of place and forced. Why is that?
The discussion is in WHY does it feel out of place and forced for some people?

I explained it in my post and I'm gonna develop it explicitly again because there are various psychological phenomenons at work here and I could cite some for you:
1. Status Quo bias: people prefer when things remain the same. In BF5's case, they obviously changed something
2. Norms & Values: The discomfort of transgressed norms, not only that, but the expression of it. In fact, a during a very recent study of the university of ULB (I assisted to the lecture last month) the discrimination of LGBT people at work: in short, there was a theory that could be inducted with the data gathered: People that transgress the norm are not discriminated because they transgressed it, but because they show that they transgressed.

For instance, you get records of such conversations: "I hate muslim/gay people!" -"Well, I'm actually muslim/gay" -"Oh, you're okay because we don't notice it"
In case of BF5, they flagantry transgressed the norm of by presenting a woman as the new face of the game
3. The cognitive dissonance: which is the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes: It's an extremely strong psychological state in which people won't accept their own incoherence (it's actually part of a defense mechanism to preserve self-integrity and thereby mental sanity), that's why even the most developed arguments won't even work.

No one wants to be sexist because it's socially undesirable. I believe many of the people complaining about the woman in the game also believe in equality between genders and women's rights. I believe they do not mean to be demeaning to women in any way. BUT the incoherence I exposed in the sole argument brought by those people which complains about historical inaccuracy (...):

1. Battlefield never pretended (in any game) to be historically accurate
2. There are many other bigger inaccuracies that didn't bother people that much

(...) shows that, the outrage may actually be (intended or not) sexism deflected (by the cognitive dissonance) behind the curtain of "historical accuracy". Because they ofcourse don't mean to be sexist, but they need to find a thing ("historical inaccuracy) to blame their discomfort on.

I'm sure there are many other phenomenons such as the lack of the ability of decentring which means being able to step outside of one's own truisms, cognitive scheme and preconceived, culturally anchored thoughts and ideas.

All in all, the status quo bias, norm&values, the cognitive dissonance are the main psychological phenomenons (I could observe in the people commenting against of the implementation of women in the game) that could explain their discomfort and the reason why they oppose this change. 

This is my last comment for this thread.

Message added by SansVarnic

Please remember the Community Standards when commenting.

Any derailment, political comments, name calling, baiting, etc will be met with removal of commentary and warnings issued.

This topic is a contested issue so lets remain civil with this discussion.

8 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Thats interesting but this is more about the woman seen in the trailer with the prosthetic arm,which I guess is a British soldier? And as artillery that wouldn't be considered front lines combat, unless Dice has some kind of story that causes her to get thrown into the front lines of battle. I could care less that they're adding women into the game, but at least have some historical accuracy please, EA/Dice.

I wasn't talking about her, but women in general in the army. 

I still can not believe that people are making a fuss about a woman, while we're talking about battlefield. I could go on and on about BF1 and their history accuracy.

But (I know it's a bug), I would like to remind us of the most dangerous historically accurate weapon in WW1:

RhELZQeREoa3dz-MRz4f1kdSLET1DHqQ8RxWtonZ

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

Then don't buy the game. Battlefield is trying to sell accessible fun for a large audience, not a museum

I'm not going to. I also don't see how the implementation of women has any benefit in terms of creating "accessible fun for a large audience".

It also isn't about being a museum, it's just about staying (reasonably) within the laws of the setting that you're working with so that setting is recognisable and has integrity. The Halo Warthog appearing in Forza Horizon 3 is fine, a Lamborghini Aventador appearing in Halo 3 is not fine.

Just now, Cookybiscuit said:

I'm not going to. I also don't see how the implementation of women has any benefit in terms of creating "accessible fun for a large audience".

It also isn't about being a museum, it's just about staying (reasonably) within the laws of the setting that you're working with so that setting is recognisable and has integrity. The Halo Warthog appearing in Forza Horizon 3 is fine, a Lamborghini Aventador appearing in Halo 3 is not fine.

To be fair, DICE has never been about authenticity. Just look at BF 1 and BF 4 with its railguns and hover tanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

Radical Feminism Ladies and Gentlemen

I believe in Feminism when it's not being used to bemoan and hate on Men just because, for example i see all these feminists fighting for rather trivial things like to not be called a "girl" but rather a "women" (with is rather petty in the grand scheme of things) but i rarely see feminists protesting things of bigger significance like Women in Arab countries being given the right to drive etc.

Most of the radical feminists i've come across have been hurt by a guy in the past and are using sweeping generalisations of Men as their defence mechanism and justification of all men being the same. I'll admit that at times i've done this (Generalising women and how they all are the same) because it's easier than dealing with the real problem. However some of the crap i hear them come out with like "all men are rapists" and that we live in a patriarchy which is oppressing women. Now granted a lot of the top positions held are held by men, but that's not because Men are oppressing women, it's just the Men have more of an interest in said field over women. If you actually want to help get women in positions of power then maybe you should aim to help Women pursue careers in fields which can lead to positions of power

End of mini rant

Radical Feminists will be Radical Feminists

8 minutes ago, DontPeek said:

This is just outrage machine BS. The percentage of people who are "outraged" is likely incredibly small to the point of being inconsequential. This is being blown way out of proportion in order to push a narrative that men hate women being in video games. It's not the case and the vast majority of people do not care that women are featured in the game. Nobody is not going to buy this game because it features women. The fact that people can be convinced that there is some huge outrage about this game by pulling a select twitter replies from a bunch of nobodies on the internet is pretty sad. But hey, how else ya gonna virtue signal?

Sadly, I have looked up about 20 websites/forums/youtube channels and it's the same thing everywhere. For reasons unknown to me, the number of people on their legs due to this is absurd. Literally absurd. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

5 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

I also don't see how the implementation of women has any benefit in terms of creating "accessible fun for a large audience".

Because you theoretically widen the spectrum of characters one can identify with? Not every gamer is male and a I can imagine a lot of male players wanting to play a female character, like me.

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

58 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

Anyway, here's my opinion: I didn't give a single damn when a woman was presented as the face of Battlefield 5. It would be a lie to say I didn't notice the change in the trailer, I did notice it, but I was neutral about it.

I'm quoting this because it should be marked as "Best Answer" really.

It affects nothing about your experience or your suspension of disbelief any more than the rest of the cartoonish things happening on this types of games or the 12 year old kids screaming profanity at you over voice chat.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

Because you theoretically widen the spectrum of characters one can identify with? Not every gamer is male and a I can imagine a lot of male characters wanting to play a female character, like me.

Is Skyrim less fun if you play as an Orc? Also don't forget, your preference for playing as something that didn't exist in WW2 in a "WW2" game is at the cost of ruining the game for everyone else who wants to play a WW2 game.

1 hour ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Is Skyrim less fun if you play as an Orc? Also don't forget, your preference for playing as something that didn't exist in WW2 in a "WW2" game is at the cost of ruining the game for everyone else who wants to play a WW2 game.

yes, because the majority of people care oh so deeply about accuracy.

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Just now, Cookybiscuit said:

The Megalodon on wake island didn't bother anybody, the Crysis 3 Bow Easter egg didn't bother anybody, the Jet-Eject-RPG-Kill-Renter-Jet didn't ruin the game, the kamikaze C4 jeeps and so on ...

And you gonna tell me a woman is gonna ruin someone's game? I don't believe it. 

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

Really idgaf about it, extra customization so cool and I guess people want to choose and all. 

But no one can tell me that also reason they're doing it is pandering and PC which comanies tend to do and advert it specially for a while. 

What it matters to me is gameplay and how they improved the experience and cut the unnecessary price shit. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

16 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

False. Anywhere you scroll in the BF5-Trailer comment section proves you wrong. 

Also consider the like-dislike ratio

Woah woah, you mean to tell me the comment section is negative and vitriolic? Surely not....

When the sales numbers come out and are far lower than expected due to the inclusion of female characters, I will concede. 

Glad you agree.

that was sarcasm you knob

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

17 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

can imagine a lot of male players wanting to play a female character, like me.

To each their own but I never understood why so many males want to be a female character. And its not like a "oh that looks cool want'....its like an I neeeeeed to be a female character. 

25 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I'm quoting this because it should be marked as "Best Answer" really.

It affects nothing about your experience or your suspension of disbelief any more than the rest of the cartoonish things happening on this types of games or the 12 year old kids screaming profanity at you over voice chat.

Who in their right mind leave on voice chat... God dammit I'm getting CoD flashbacks *cries in corner*

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

13 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

To each their own but I never understood why so many males want to be a female character. And its not like a "oh that looks cool want'....its like an I neeeeeed to be a female character. 

Smaller hit box tbh, I don't use them personally but I've gotten good at aiming because of them... Tiny body but you still got a big ass 5head

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

11 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Because imagination?  Or lulz?
inkling-girl-splatoon-66.2.jpg

In all seriousness this feels like a marketing tactic.  I can't say I blame EA because they know the franchise is getting stale/over saturated. 

Just now, XenosTech said:

Smaller hit box tbh, I don't use them personally but I've gotten good and aim because of them... Tiny body but you still got a big ass 5head

Not talking about just FPS. I have a few friends that will always be a girl character, even when hit boxes are not really relevant. 

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Not talking about just FPS. I have a few friends that will always be a girl character, even when hit boxes are not really relevant. 

Well I don't know about that one then xD. I only use them when the classes are gender locked other wise I'm bulky dwarf with a sword and shield several times my size

55 minutes ago, QuantumElement said:

For authenticity reasons, I don't want women women to appear in combat roles when I am a US, German, or British soldier. Russia? Sure. Resistance fighters? Go ahead. But DICE was never about realism. Which is fine, I guess. But a little authenticity, wouldn't hurt.

It's funny because I remember Call of Duty 2 being the most accurate on this, it had USSR, EUA and GB campaigns and only the USSR one had females in it... as you mentioned I remembered about it even.

I miss World War 2 games that are actually world wars and not EUA+GB vs Germany solely... amazing single player campaign wise the old titles are still superior to the current ones... Medal of Honour > Battlefield all day long I miss being an undercover nazi photographer lmao

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

i knew i had seen this.

https://www.pcgamer.com/we-showed-battlefield-1-to-a-world-war-i-historian/

PCGamer showed BF1 to a historian and he pointed out the MANY flaws in historical accuracy. 

Just quoting this part that made my laugh like crazy

“He’s filling up a syringe with morphine or something, and then he has some bandages? That is so fast moving at first I didn’t get it,” Casey said. “He’s shooting one second and the next he’s got a syringe out and is poking people. At first I thought he was trying to kill somebody, putting them out of their misery. I think it would be, like he’s all-in-one: it would either be you have a machinegun and move forward and the medics come up from behind.”

xDxDxD

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

It's funny because I remember Call of Duty 2 being the most accurate on this, it had USSR, EUA and GB campaigns and only the USSR one had females in it... as you mentioned I remembered about it even.

I miss World War 2 games that are actually world wars and not EUA+GB vs Germany solely... amazing single player campaign wise the old titles are still superior to the current ones... Medal of Honour > Battlefield all day long I miss being an undercover nazi photographer lmao

Yeah, maybe we'll eventually see a return to form for WW2 games, but I don't think it'll be from Acti/EA.

So ironic that these people are the same ones complaining that others are "too sensitive" and "easily offended"... it's a freaking team point control shooter with respawning tanks, realism has never been part of the equation - it just has a vaguely war-like settings with somewhat accurate weapons and vehicle aesthetics.

Women were not deployed in front line combat roles in WW2 other than for the Soviet Union and resistance fighters, these are the facts. Having a disabled British female soldier in the game is just embarrassing pandering to SJWs, and looks to be working judging from the likes of OP relishing the "outrage". While this is a very, very stupid decision from a historical accuracy perspective, it was a fantastic choice from a marketing perspective. Your average brain dead Kotaku or Polygon reader wouldn't have known BFV existed were it not for this, and they'll probably view buying the game as some kind of duty to prove they are an ally of SJW garbage.

Why the hell do you care? It's "Battlefield", not "Letters from Iwo Jima". It's not intended to be a documentary or a commentary, it's intended to be a GAME. It looks to me like you're the outraged one here.

As for "not knowing BFV existed", are you kidding me? BF is one of the highest profile franchises on the market, EVERYONE knows about it and it's impossible to miss the announcement... I haven't cared about the franchise since bf3 and yet even I already knew it had been announced and that it was set in ww2.

1 hour ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

Now, the best worst thing that EA could make is to end the campaign like so: A male and the female character drop their guns and embrace each other with a romantic & fiery kiss in front off the sunset while all the jewish children being delivered from a concentration camp run towards them as they are now a mom & dad figure.

I would feast upon the anger of the outraged!

That would be pretty funny to be honest :P 

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*