50 Million Dollar startup for Australian Space Program

Looks like the last-year announced first steps to the creation of an Aussie space program have paid off in the form of 50 million AUD funding and a former CSIRO boss heading up the new and as-yet unnamed organisation.

Next Tuesday, the Government will unveil "seed funding" to finally establish a dedicated Australian space agency to coordinate existing efforts in the aeronautical industry, with the aim of generating thousands of future jobs.

The ABC has confirmed the budget will also have a focus on improving GPS technology which can be used for mapping, aviation and broad-scale farming projects.

A senior Coalition source said the Government expected the private sector would contribute "the lion's share" of funding for Australia's space industry.

I'm rather all for it, what with the current hugeness of the industry and the probable gargantuan-ness of it after we start mining asteroids. Hell, as a country that does a lot of mining it seems almost the perfect transition, though its not known whether space mining is something this organisation has on its radar at all, and obviously its nowhere near the level of established agencies like NASA or the ESA that could probably go grab some global economy-wrecking rocks now, if they wanted. 
As to names - I'm hoping for ASTRA - Australian Space & Technology Research Agency.

For the Aussies here - imagine the potential for economic gain if indigenous communities were nearby any proposed launch sites. Suddenly you've got a chance for a service economy(at the very least).

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-03/australia-space-agency-funding-in-federal-budget-2018/9720370
Previous entries: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-25/government-to-establish-national-space-agency/8980268

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

13 minutes ago, Serin said:

As to names - I'm hoping for ASTRA - Australian Space & Technology Research Agency.

I'm hoping for Australian Research & Space Exploration.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Real question is will you all go the British way. Have an orbital capable rocket and then say forget it. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

Real question is will you all go the British way. Have an orbital capable rocket and then say forget it. 

Depends on the political will. If the far left continue to think that space is a waste of money... yeah probably, given its almost time for a swap to a Labor government.
It was waaay before my time, but we actually made a lot of progress back before it was all killed. I think the British had something to do with that decline.

Maybe somewhere in here: https://quokkaspace.wordpress.com/history-of-space-in-australia/

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

3 minutes ago, Serin said:

Depends on the political will. If the far left continue to think that space is a waste of money... yeah probably, given its almost time for a swap to a Labor government.
It was waaay before my time, but we actually made a lot of progress back before it was all killed. I think the British had something to do with that decline.

Maybe somewhere in here: https://quokkaspace.wordpress.com/history-of-space-in-australia/

yep you all were the launching area for the British black arrow and had major coms for Apollo. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

International law & consensus precludes any mining.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Just now, GDRRiley said:

yep you all were the launching area for the British black arrow and had major coms for Apollo. 

Figures hey. Didn't have the will to continue without the Empire. 

Cheese monger.

5 hours ago, Serin said:

For the Aussies here - imagine the potential for economic gain if indigenous communities were nearby any proposed launch sites. Suddenly you've got a chance for a service economy(at the very least).

I can't see that happening,  We've had mining setup up huge service centres all over the Pillsbury, so far the indigenous communities got jack shit. 

Good old Aunty Gina is not a name you use lightly up there.

4 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

I'm hoping for Australian Research & Space Exploration.

Only in Australia.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I can't see that happening,  We've had mining setup up huge service centres all over the Pillsbury, so far the indigenous communities got jack shit. 

Good old Aunty Gina is not a name you use lightly up there.

Only in Australia.

Yeah... you're probably right. I just love the idea of disadvantaged communities benefiting and building themselves up on the back of the space industry. But I guess it might end up a bit like those few communities that were open to having spent fuel storage on their land. Stomped on from on-high. 
Its nice to dream. 

Cheese monger.

1 hour ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

you mean ARSE? heard those guys are bloody legends!

Yep, the yanks pulled a human moon landing out of NASA,  We're going to pull a human mars landing from our ARSE.

We might even mine a few meteors on the way seeing as that's what we're good at.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.