Spotify overhaul for free users.

xriqn
9 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I moved away from Spotify purely because of how bad the free experience was, everything was stuck on shuffle and they played too many "recommended songs", no matter how I tried to listen to music be it a playlist, artist, album, etc.

I've been sticking with YouTube for songs I don't own/want to buy yet. If they fix the problems that cause me to boycott their service, I might consider it again.

To be fair to Spotify they still have to pay the artist for the music when free users pay. You are getting something for nothing. Premium Spotify is a great experience and comes with many phone plans. 

14 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

To be fair to Spotify they still have to pay the artist for the music when free users pay. You are getting something for nothing. Premium Spotify is a great experience and comes with many phone plans. 

i haven't used for a long time now, but doesn't it have ads? if so, it isn't really free or given in exchange for nothing, companies that buy the ads are paying because people see the ads.

2 minutes ago, asus killer said:

i haven't used for a long time now, but doesn't it have ads? if so, it isn't really free or given in exchange for nothing, companies that buy the ads are paying because people see the ads.

Thats true. They are really annoying too!

The free version of Spotify has pretty meh sound quality. 

That's an F in the profile pic

I just have premium. its only like $5/month here in south africa, very much worth it.

- snip-

I mean I feel like for people that have steady income paying monthly is not really a problem.

Magical Pineapples

I really want to just never touch Spotify again because they are assholes but most of my music is literaly nowhere else -_-

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Spotify is pretty worthless for my commute where half my trip lacks cell service.

The paid version has an offline mode where you can download songs so that you can play them without internet.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, asus killer said:

That's the only reason a Free plan exists. They already make very little off of Free users with advertisements. Also, the percentage of paying customers seems to have gone up a lot.

Some artists have complained to Spotify about the fact that people are able to listen for free. Those same artists believe that only paying customers should be allowed to listen to music.

I used to use Spotify Free from 2014 to 2015. In 2015 I started paying for Premium and I'm still paying for a good service.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I remember a time when the only difference between premium and free was the adds...

These days the free version seems pretty awful.. But I started my premium experience almost ten years ago and have never looked back. With the introduction of the family plan it became dirt cheap, so why people still bother with the free version is beyond me. 

Spotify's discovery is atrocious compared to Youtube recommends or Pandora. Maybe that'll improve in the future, as I preferred Pandora when it was available (not anymore in Australia)

29 minutes ago, Epic Wink said:

Spotify's discovery is atrocious compared to Youtube recommends or Pandora. Maybe that'll improve in the future, as I preferred Pandora when it was available (not anymore in Australia)

Spoiler

try Orbot if using Pandora on a phone

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I still use Spotify now and then, but I have to admit I just enjoy Apple Music's discovery more.  Seems easier to catch that new album... and lately, the what-your-friends-are-playing feature seems more interesting as well.

being someone who pays, but did use free for a bit I'd be overall happy if the free service was less shitty, because wall paided is really good free was garbage imo

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

7 hours ago, Mihle said:

YouTube sound quality isn't that good...

Depends on who you ask, I don't have any problems with it.

I also don't have the audiophile-level hearing that can detect differences between .wav and mp3 audio, so that could be part of it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I don't even use it, even paid ver. haves limits no. Why pay monthly fee for music you already bought/own though. Music as a service what. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

the what-your-friends-are-playing feature seems more interesting as well.

You don't have many friends using Android?

28 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Depends on who you ask, I don't have any problems with it.

I also don't have the audiophile-level hearing that can detect differences between .wav and mp3 audio, so that could be part of it.

I can't hear the difference between good MP3 or wave either, but I can hear difference between medium and good quality MP3. YouTube is just medium quality, I don't remember exact birate but I think it was 180 or something. While on Spotify if you have the paid version and turn on a setting, it's 350 or something, that I can hear the difference on on good headphones/speakers. Above that and I can't.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

36 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I don't even use it, even paid ver. haves limits no. Why pay monthly fee for music you already bought/own though. Music as a service what. 

That's the thing. I don't own CDs or MP3s (Except technically the MP3s Ubisoft gave me for playing their games lmao :P)

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

That's the thing. I don't own CDs or MP3s (Except technically the MP3s Ubisoft gave me for playing their games lmao :P)

How can you not own CDs? They're still so commonplace despite their age. Most of the CDs I own contain PS1 games (legal ones, they're the black CDs).

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

17 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

You don't have many friends using Android?

Apple Music is available for Android.  Admittedly, they're very likely in the minority, but your choice of mobile platform doesn't necessarily dictate what you use.

Just now, Commodus said:

Apple Music is available for Android.  Admittedly, they're very likely in the minority, but your choice of mobile platform doesn't necessarily dictate what you use.

The only people I see using Apple Music are iPhone users.

People who listen to music on Android generally use Spotify or YouTube.

17 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I moved away from Spotify purely because of how bad the free experience was, everything was stuck on shuffle and they played too many "recommended songs", no matter how I tried to listen to music be it a playlist, artist, album, etc.

I've been sticking with YouTube for songs I don't own/want to buy yet. If they fix the problems that cause me to boycott their service, I might consider it again.

am i the only one who doesnt care about this service

8 minutes ago, Ross Scarlet said:

am i the only one who doesnt care about this service

Could be, I could honestly care less.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 minutes ago, xriqn said:

How can you not own CDs?

Because I'm quite young? :D .

I may have owned like 1 or 2 CDs but they were disposed of a long time ago in a galaxy not very far away.