UPDATE 2: iOS 11.3.1 FIXES The iPhone 8 If You've Replaced The Screen

iamdarkyoshi
Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep this conversation civil and respectful.

Blanket accusations and insults will not be tolerated.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

But as a whole Apple doesn't really give a shit about the right-to-repair bills and has been actively fighting to stop them. It doesn't strike me that this is where they would choose to give in.

Correct, and if it can be proven that this was intentional it would hurt their ability to fight such laws both legally and in the public eye. 

EDIT: to me it would be like a feminist goading reporters outside the court then getting upset becasue the public isn't taking her discrimination case seriously.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 4/11/2018 at 6:23 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well the only way we'll know for sure is if someone can take a look at the code and the hardware I suppose, which we all know isn't going to happen.  But you have to admit it's awfully suspicious that they all just suddenly stopped working after an update.  Which is more likely: they intentionally bricked these things because they hate third party repairs (a fact that's well-known), or that they've added/updated something that works with the official apple displays but was somehow incompatible with all these third party ones?

Well seeing as even the OEM ones don't work when installed by a third party I'd say this is pretty obviously targeted at third part repair services.

That's an F in the profile pic

iOS 11.3.1 supposedly fixes this issue. Apple is calling it a "bug" but... is it?

I won't be surprised if we start seeing this at a hardware level on future phones. Like screens get tied with a signature to the motherboard or something. Will be really dumb....

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

14 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

iOS 11.3.1 supposedly fixes this issue. Apple is calling it a "bug" but... is it?

I won't be surprised if we start seeing this at a hardware level on future phones. Like screens get tied with a signature to the motherboard or something. Will be really dumb....

Don't give them ideas,  It's already unnecessary that individual hardware has unique identifiers beyond the IEMI.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 4/25/2018 at 11:51 AM, mr moose said:

Bricked iphones with updates is common, but this was a little too specific and more common than usual.   And coming right after their failure to properly advise of the battery thing,  one is more likely left to surmise a more nefarious reason for it's existence.

Quality control with Apple now it way more garbage than it used to be tbh. 

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Sorry for the delay, been super busy. 

Updated thread.

Yeah. Busy working miracles :P 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

"It's a bug"

i'll believe it just like how believed MS's w10 updates reseting your privacy preferences was a just bug 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Let’s not kid yourself here... this was likely not intentional and to believe that Apple would've gotten off on it without any backlash would be pushing it.

Not sure how the screens would've been rendered non responsive from an update is possible but it likely would've been an unintended bug to whatever update they did.

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

23 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

"It's a bug"

i'll believe it just like how believed MS's w10 updates reseting your privacy preferences was a just bug 

Funny.

But, it really could be just a bug.

That the thing with big companies : we assume that everything they do is on purpose, after all, they have a such internal checking and testing system that never fail. How could they push a bugged update ?

Here is the thing : It is still run by human that make mistake.

So i found it plausible that it was "just a bug". Okay it is not very likely, but considering that even replacing screen with a genuine one don't work... yeah that's a bit "too big" to be "on purpose". IMO.

5 hours ago, Asche said:

Funny.

That the thing with big companies : we assume that everything they do is on purpose, after all, they have a such internal checking and testing system that never fail. How could they push a bugged update ?

So i found it plausible that it was "just a bug". Okay it is not very likely, but considering that even replacing screen with a genuine one don't work... yeah that's a bit "too big" to be "on purpose". IMO.

Was error 53 also a "bug"?

The difference... actually not really that different between these two, they both got caught with their pants down doing a similar thing in the past 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

The difference... actually not really that different between these two, they both got caught with their pants down doing a similar thing in the past 

The difference is they didn't completely backtrack with error 53. They stopped it from bricking the phone but they still wouldn't let touch id work.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

45 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

No, error 53 was intentional but they had to admit it went to far and gave the Home Button its ability to work again, but they also kept TouchID disabled for security reasons. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 hours ago, Asche said:

Funny.

Apple seems to have a knack for phone bricking ios updates in recent years... some have been proven to be on purpose, some weren't, but given the frequency of them (you can literally google for "ios <8...11> bricks phones" and find an article for all of them) the only possible conclusions are 1) they are incompetent hacks (which I doubt) or 2) they do most of these on purpose. In both cases, perhaps they don't deserve their customers' money. And remember - Apple is against any third party repair, no matter what parts they use. They have a vested interest in making repairers look bad.

6 hours ago, Qwertious said:

to believe that Apple would've gotten off on it without any backlash would be pushing it.

And yet there was an army of people defending them tooth and nail, claiming it's reasonable to brick unofficial substitute parts that worked perfectly before the update and that legitimate replacements weren't calibrated correctly by the repairer.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Quality control with Apple now it way more garbage than it used to be tbh. 

have to agree with you on this.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

And yet there was an army of people defending them tooth and nail

Yes that is true, there are extreme fanboyism on Apple's side but in general Apple does receive a lot more hate than they get credit. Some people go lengths to defend company x while shitting on company y and this was no exception.

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

4 minutes ago, Qwertious said:

in general Apple does receive a lot more hate than they get credit.

Maybe there's a reason - and usually the controversy gets a lot more press precisely because of the unrelenting apologism on the other side. When samsung made exploding phones everyone agreed it was a huge mistake and that was that. Apple, on the other hand, will have a bunch of people defending them no matter what they do.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*