Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

Started off with a whopping Pentium 166 with 128mb ram in 1993 and ended up in 2004 as a Pentium 1 ghz with 1.5gb.

WIN_20200316_20_31_05_Pro.jpg

8 hours ago, stingray66 said:

Started off with a whopping Pentium 166 with 128mb ram in 1993 and ended up in 2004 as a Pentium 1 ghz with 1.5gb.

How this possible? maybe 66mhz?

What? P166 was a thing.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just picked this up. Its not mega old, but I'm not sure where else to put it.

Aurora R4 R1 (bit of a dog)

I7 950

GTX 560 ti

8gb 1333mhz (4 X 2)

60GB ocz ssd

500gb seagate baracuda

Original aio has been replaced at some point with a corsair.

Now here's the kick in the nuts, It doesn't work. Bit out of my comfort zone with this one but i'll give it a go.

Edit: added photos 

IMG_20200317_190005.thumb.jpg.e307201d332249ea430bb944ba39a43c.jpgIMG_20200317_190314.thumb.jpg.493892a5f6461dd90edd23490469ba20.jpg

VUIG7207.thumb.JPG.b061aae7f05f23df3bbaf1f16d0072ca.JPG

a motherboard that I got from a dell vostro 420

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

4 hours ago, Marbo said:

Just picked this up. Its not mega old, but I'm not sure where else to put it.

Aurora R4 (bit of a dog)

I7 950

GTX 560 ti

8gb 1333mhz (4 X 2)

60GB ocz ssd

500gb seagate baracuda

Original aio has been replaced at some point with a corsair.

Now here's the kick in the nuts, It doesn't work. Bit out of my comfort zone with this one but i'll give it a go.

Edit: added photos

It should be triple channel memory, once you get it running add a 3rd stick of 4GB to it!

If it's no power on at all I'd start with the PSU.

37 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It should be triple channel memory, once you get it running add a 3rd stick of 4GB to it!

If it's no power on at all I'd start with the PSU.

Sorry it's 4 X 2gb sticks so it will be another 2 sticks. 

It's getting power but nothing on screen apparently. I need to find a dvi to hdmi adapter before I can test further. I had a couple of them before I moved house. 

If I do get it running then I'll probably swap the gpu as well. 

Picked up an old IBM PS/1 recently. 486sx 25mhz, 4mb ram and 170mb ide hard disk. Works perfectly though the drive seemed to have a corrupted partition. Wiped it and installed dos and so far so good!

1 hour ago, Marbo said:

Sorry it's 4 X 2gb sticks so it will be another 2 sticks. 

It's getting power but nothing on screen apparently. I need to find a dvi to hdmi adapter before I can test further. I had a couple of them before I moved house. 

If I do get it running then I'll probably swap the gpu as well. 

Yep! that definitely sounds like it. Power with nothing on the screen could be related to RAM or GPU ...

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

22 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Yep! that definitely sounds like it. Power with nothing on the screen could be related to RAM or GPU ...

Lots of stuff to check.  Just going to start ruling stuff out. 

I've also read it could be a bios problem. 

Anyway it will keep me busy if I end up stuck at home because of human malware. And if it turns out to be more trouble than it's worth I'll part out the working stuff to get my money back and stick a ryzen build in the case.. 

8 minutes ago, Marbo said:

Anyway it will keep me busy if I end up stuck at home because of human malware. And if it turns out to be more trouble than it's worth I'll part out the working stuff to get my money back and stick a ryzen build in the case.. 

Alright yeah, still the case looking good. I would keep it too...

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

8 hours ago, Marbo said:

On old 775 dells I have had the PSU run the fans and nothing else. no screen no errors but the fans run. And replaceing the PSU fixed it. so don't rule it out just yet.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

So the old Dell Alienware. Where to start? 

Well, right at the very basics. Could it be as easy as a dodgy cable? 

Yes it can

Untitled.thumb.jpg.5f20aef0c7ed7a6b9b1857ab136610bd.jpg

27 minutes ago, Marbo said:

So the old Dell Alienware. Where to start? 

Well, right at the very basics. Could it be as easy as a dodgy cable? 

Yes it can

you are lucky.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

1 hour ago, The King of the Undead said:

you are lucky.

Yep, bought it as faulty so got very lucky.

It just needs cleaning up and a few minor issues to sort out.

10 hours ago, Marbo said:

Yep, bought it as faulty so got very lucky.

It just needs cleaning up and a few minor issues to sort out.

Cool! I am happy for you. Congrats...

How about another classic from the roughly 20year old mark.  An MSI RX480 Neo2 motherboard with a socket 939 AMD Opteron 165 dual core 1.8ghz chip.  Still sporting a pair of Corsair 1gig, 500mhz ram sticks.

IMG_20200319_180254451_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, vf1000ride said:

How about another classic from the roughly 20year old mark.  An MSI RX480 Neo2 motherboard with a socket 939 AMD Opteron 165 dual core 1.8ghz chip.  Still sporting a pair of Corsair 1gig, 500mhz ram sticks.

It looks brand new

59 minutes ago, Marbo said:

It looks brand new

If it wasn't for the fact that I stole the heatsink off the ATI chip by the sata connectors for another project I'm sure it would still work.  I have everything needed to hook it back up and I seem to think I kept this one because it was still functional.

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

What is Gary?

Gary is an HP RX8640.  It's an itanium system built on an SX2000 (superdome) chipset.  It was built in 2006.

Gary has 16 sockets distributed over 4 cell boards.  Each socket has a 9140DN, giving it a total of 32 cores and 64 threads.  It's clock speed is 1.6 Ghz.

Gary has 128GB of ram, courtesy of 64 DIMMs.  Gary has no onboard storage other than a boot drive.

Basically, it's a huge 4KW resistor that can run linux.

20 hours ago, Lenovich said:

OMG. What Gary can do?

- Make a lot of noise

- Increase your power bill considerably

- Trip a breaker

- Act as a heated chair

- Roll around.  Gary has wheels.  It's a lot of fun.

On a more serious note ... It's a big machine with lots of pretty slow processors and a pretty big chunk of memory.

It runs linux quite well.  It's a pretty good machine actually, but it uses too much power, so i don't run it very often.  It needs about 3.8 KW to run.

11 hours ago, Schnoz said:

it can run doom

Nope.  Gary doesn't have a framebuffer.

Fun fact: Gary is not vulnerable to any of the speculative execution related bugs like meltdown, spectre, etc, since IA64 chips are not superscalar in nature.  IA64 is built on a principle called EPIC (explicitly parallel instruction computing).  It relies heavily on the compiler to optimize the binaries so that the cpu can execute as many operations as possible at any time.  It is in fact the opposite of what cpus are nowadays.