Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

Here's my dad's old work laptop. It's a Dell Lattitude D620 which was introduced (according to google) in 2006 being one of Dell's first business oriented dual core laptops. We used to beg our dad to use it to play online games on sites like miniclip and one that I think started with an n but I don't remember. It actually still works somehow, but it is sluggishly slow. I need to replace the old hard drive in it but haven't gotten around to it. Did anyone else have one of these laptops back in the day?

20200327_110930.jpg

2 minutes ago, AthruNe said:

Here's my dad's old work laptop. It's a Dell Lattitude D620 which was introduced (according to google) in 2006 being one of Dell's first business oriented dual core laptops. We used to beg our dad to use it to play online games on sites like miniclip and one that I think started with an n but I don't remember. It actually still works somehow, but it is sluggishly slow. I need to replace the old hard drive in it but haven't gotten around to it. Did anyone else have one of these laptops back in the day?

20200327_110930.jpg

I've got a much much older one sitting under a chair in the living room right now, it's got a Pentium M in it and a 720p screen from before 720p was even a thing! It's horribly slow, I used to use it for music streaming with an app from Xubuntu. I think it could maybe browse a little internet still but it's pretty dated even for that. Also the battery is 100% dead again and I'm not replacing it again.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

I've got a much much older one sitting under a chair in the living room right now, it's got a Pentium M in it and a 720p screen from before 720p was even a thing! It's horribly slow, I used to use it for music streaming with an app from Xubuntu. I think it could maybe browse a little internet still but it's pretty dated even for that. Also the battery is 100% dead again and I'm not replacing it again.

Yeah I think the battery in ours is most definitely dead as well. I tried to put windows 7 on it at one point to see if I couldn't squeeze some life out of it, but the old hard drive just made it too slow to be useful for much. I was thinking I might try installing linux on it just to mess with, but I think I would want to get a new ssd or hard drive first.

Just now, AthruNe said:

Yeah I think the battery in ours is most definitely dead as well. I tried to put windows 7 on it at one point to see if I couldn't squeeze some life out of it, but the old hard drive just made it too slow to be useful for much. I was thinking I might try installing linux on it just to mess with, but I think I would want to get a new ssd or hard drive first.

I remembered, it's an Inspiron 6000! Maxed the RAM at I think 2GB and when the optical quit I got a drive bay for it and setup the boot loader to boot from the SATA drive there which was a bit faster and larger. I don't think I ever put a SSD in it. Being that the CPU is 32 bit in this Dell there's not much to do with it, but if you're is 64 bit you'll have no problem loading up Xubuntu or some other lighter Linux distro and getting  some more life out of it if you want to. With a new battery for cheap it could make a nice laptop for an older family member who just needs to facebook and email, they won't break the OS like Windows!

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

I remembered, it's an Inspiron 6000! Maxed the RAM at I think 2GB and when the optical quit I got a drive bay for it and setup the boot loader to boot from the SATA drive there which was a bit faster and larger. I don't think I ever put a SSD in it. Being that the CPU is 32 bit in this Dell there's not much to do with it, but if you're is 64 bit you'll have no problem loading up Xubuntu or some other lighter Linux distro and getting  some more life out of it if you want to. With a new battery for cheap it could make a nice laptop for an older family member who just needs to facebook and email, they won't break the OS like Windows!

Thanks for the advice!

I think the oldest pc part in my collection is this Cyrix Cx486DX2-50 dated 1993

IMG_20200328_152901.thumb.jpg.d7f648798c7cc0ca63680a3db8944eb2.jpgIMG_20200328_152909.thumb.jpg.4f53d3928c77a185d20b04fbd0606f0f.jpg

not strictly a PC component but i must include my loved daily driver, a 1990 IBM model M (1391404, 1391401 with Italian Layout)

IMG_20200328_152934.thumb.jpg.41f42f75c05ad6a477860aeb306aa724.jpg

On 3/24/2020 at 6:08 AM, Beerzerker said:

Was bored and decided to delid one of my boards this morning.
No worries, it was a dead one to start with so no loss here. 😁

Actually I'm was using it to test and setup things for this kind of work, still have a few at least to mess with to get all the parameters right. Removed the IR setup and converted the station to a hot air setup, hence the tube in the IR lamp holder but still using the bottom IR heater.

So it took me a while but I knew at one point I had owned a DFI Lanparty mobo.  I know the hardware was long gone but while searching the depths of old hardware and computer stuff, I found the manual for that board.

IMG_20200328_224234745.jpg

I have an E8600, an E5-2407 (currently inside a 1U server), an HD 5870, a GT 710, an HD 5450 an intel nuc with a celeron N3050, a macbook Air 2010 with a core 2 duo L9600. If you want real retro computers i have a collection of old computers, not for nostalgia but because i'm interested in old pc s (so Commodore 64c, Amiga 600, MSX, Acorn Electron and Sinclair Spectrum)

DSC01244.JPG

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

On 3/28/2020 at 8:36 PM, Cougar-FYC- said:

C80186-3 is a 16-bit 80186-based microprocessor designed by Intel and manufactured by AMD. This chip operated at 8 MHz and was enclosed in a 68-pin Ceramic Leadless Chip Carrier.

Wait is that an LGA before LGA 775?

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

Maaan some of those older aesthetics i wish they'ed bring back, like that copper motherboard...what was it? that TX97 from ASUS, that would look so sweet in a copper hard line tube build. 

i fink i have a pentium 1 and some ddr2 ram. alon with some really old pc case. i think my mom trashed it, or it's in my parent's house, i cant remember, it was like 5 years ago when i last seen them. lol

Not to long ago you had the fun of loading drivers to your system from floppy disk before they would be recognized.  Ick.  :)  Or when you had to drive to the computer store to get software to decompress a file you spent 30 minutes downloading off a news group on your dialup connection.

IMG_20200402_103005148_HDR.jpg

FastTrak for sata connection 

image.jpg

With an intel pentium 4 was running windows xp professional last updated in 2001

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 2 April 2020 at 10:52 AM, vf1000ride said:

Not to long ago you had the fun of loading drivers to your system from floppy disk before they would be recognized.  Ick.  :)  Or when you had to drive to the computer store to get software to decompress a file you spent 30 minutes downloading off a news group on your dialup connection.

IMG_20200402_103005148_HDR.jpg

I have just just what you're needing for those if you can run IDE 

image.jpg

34 minutes ago, T.J said:

I have just just what you're needing for those if you can run IDE 

I'm good, thank you for the offer though. :)  I do actually have one, was just more effort that I felt like putting into it to remove from the tower it's in and get a picture of it.

The first tower PC I bought for myself, as opposed to gifts and hand-me-downs. From this crazy college student who built it himself - can you believe it?

Ran Win98 like a champ. Blazed through No One Lives Forever. Those Radeon LE graphics. Those 192Megabytes of RAM. Discrete sound card. Blazing speed.

I'm kinda loving that shimmery brassy color to the motherboard, too. Why isn't that still an option? Enough of your tactical black. This is distinctive.

I'm not sure I can stand to take it all apart and build my NAS in the case...

2020-04-07_20_38_02.jpg

2020-04-07_20_34_29.jpg

2020-04-07_20_31_45.jpg

2020-04-07_20_31_36.jpg

7 hours ago, hammerquill said:

The first tower PC I bought for myself, as opposed to gifts and hand-me-downs. From this crazy college student who built it himself - can you believe it?

Ran Win98 like a champ. Blazed through No One Lives Forever. Those Radeon LE graphics. Those 192Megabytes of RAM. Discrete sound card. Blazing speed.

I'm kinda loving that shimmery brassy color to the motherboard, too. Why isn't that still an option? Enough of your tactical black. This is distinctive.

I'm not sure I can stand to take it all apart and build my NAS in the case...

use that system!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!