Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

21 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

$4.99/gal for premium here in NY. 

Also just got Micheline PS4sDT1's to replace the original Pilot Sports.  DT! is their "differential tread" that costs $10/tire more, wasn't gonna pay it when it was $20/tire more but then the non DT!'s went back up and meh.

Problem is I'm now running summer tires and it decided to snow about 2" yesterday 🤦‍♂️ Roads are clear at least and the drive into work was BEAUTFUL. But with these gas prices i'ma start working remote more. 

Is... is 4.99/gal meant to be expensive? 😛 ~$8.8/gallon for premium, ~$9.7/gallon for diesel in Sweden. 

Have had plans for a while to pick-up a shitbox, but with these prices it's nowhere near viable. 

1 hour ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Why are so many people against white rims on a white colored car?

Been thinking of getting rims thwt only has 5 arms/support around the rim inside in white, but people are so against it haha 😂

Its my car so I'll do what I want regardless, just trying to find out why so many people don't like it 🤣

Seeing Japanese cars with their same colored car wants me to put 20inch rims on my own Volvo V70.

Maybe in due time lower or get coil overs, don't care if my car is 2016.

I'm writing this as I'm on my 150k service for the car so, mostly just checking and switching/getting new oil.

0w-20 seems to be more rare than I thought🤨

White on white can look good, sometimes. But rarely. Saw previously you have a d3, how do you like it? I've driven every current-gen volvo, in most of the different engine configs, and man the D3s and T3s feel gutless to me.    

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

8 minutes ago, IKnight said:

Is... is 4.99/gal meant to be expensive? 😛 ~$8.8/gallon for premium, ~$9.7/gallon for diesel in Sweden. 

Have had plans for a while to pick-up a shitbox, but with these prices it's nowhere near viable.     

You'd think so if you got onto American social media and seeing American's complain that they now have to pay $50 to fill up their 12 gal civic. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

12 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

You'd think so if you got onto American social media and seeing American's complain that they now have to pay $50 to fill up their 12 gal civic. 

Yeah I've seen a fair few of those. It's all about perspective I suppose. Prices are so high here that people filling up big tanks have to stop after a certain amount, take out their card, then put it back in again, cause most pumps only reserve $155, which doesn't cover how much fuel they need hahah.

On an unrelated note, god damn the new Volvo XC90 T8 is nice. Driven one a few times now and it's impressive what a 2 ton SUV can do when it has a hybrid, 400bhp awd powertrain. 

Also really liked the Polestar 2, except for the fact that the giant wheels and skinny tires mean the ride is a bit harsh for my liking around town. Interior isn't as "volvo-y" as I expected, which is great.

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

On 3/9/2022 at 7:48 AM, DANK_AS_gay said:

1162464331_ScreenShot2022-03-09at9_46_39AM.thumb.png.1a6c9007c53c2ab6013af88070978ff5.png

I keep getting conflicting reports. Anti-seize or no? Which brand of spark plugs? How do I remove them?

I have found literally the two opposites for all of these questions, and I don't know what to do.

No, not unless the manufacture specifically recommends it. Most plug and engine companies recommend no anti size. 
It also messes with your torque when you’re tightening it to the specific torque setting. 

i run NGK in my 4.6 / 5.0… but that’s just me

2 hours ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Been thinking of getting rims thwt only has 5 arms/support around the rim inside in white, but people are so against it haha 😂

Its my car so I'll do what I want regardless, just trying to find out why so many people don't like it 🤣

Seeing Japanese cars with their same colored car wants me to put 20inch rims on my own Volvo V70.

Maybe in due time lower or get coil overs, don't care if my car is 2016.

I'm writing this as I'm on my 150k service for the car so, mostly just checking and switching/getting new oil.

0w-20 seems to be more rare than I thought🤨

white wheels look great on no matter the color imo. but its all personal preference, most people tend to just go with the hype train so they hate what other hate to seem "cool"

its your car, dont let some dumb hate train stop doing what you want to do.

19 minutes ago, IKnight said:

White on white can look good, sometimes. But rarely. Saw previously you have a d3, how do you like it? I've driven every current-gen volvo, in most of the different engine configs, and man the D3s and T3s feel gutless to me.    

huh? D3 gutless? how tf does my 1.6 D2 have guts then? sure the guts may run out at 130kmh cause of the low power .. but thing is speedy until then (as long as the front wheels have grip)

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

55 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

white wheels look great on no matter the color imo. but its all personal preference, most people tend to just go with the hype train so they hate what other hate to seem "cool"

huh? D3 gutless? how tf does my 1.6 D2 have guts then? sure the guts may run out at 130kmh cause of the low power .. but thing is speedy until then (as long as the front wheels have grip)

I mean they're not horrible. On the contrary, they're probably fine for most things. Personally however I just don't think they have enough power, particularly for merging into traffic quickly on the highway. Also (I find) the throttle response is absolutely horrendous in the standard drive mode in most new Volvos (though I've only driven the autos, except for the XC40). There's a delay of over a second from when you step fully on the throttle (whilst doing like 80) to the car actually kicking down a gear or 2 and accelerating. 

You've also got to consider the fact that the d2 v40 (iirc thats the one you own?) is ~463kg lighter than a d3 v60, and ~560kg lighter than a d3 v90 (difference in bhp between the d2 and d3 is 30bhp). That's a huge difference, especially compared to the t3's, which lack the torque of the diesel. 

2 hours ago, IKnight said:

Saw previously you have a d3, how do you like it? I've driven every current-gen volvo, in most of the different engine configs, and man the D3s and T3s feel gutless to me.    

Luxury from 2016 with some R-design parts here and there. Im really happy with it, cant decide proprly if i want to sell it haha. 4-cylinder engine that does 150-160hp.

I'm happy with it and i love driving it haha. Automatic is really getting boring now and FWD isnt all that much fun.. But im not sure i want to even sellf it if im only gonna get 25k or 29k for it haha.

Regarding this "and man the D3s and T3s feel gutless to me." I've never personally driven a T5 or D5 in my life, cant really speak if their that much better x'D

I feel like its just "boring" diesel and fwd for the most part. Plenty of space for the dog and what other shit comes into my life saying i need to haul stuff.

Still very split if i should sell it for 25-29k and get a sedan/coupe and have some fun with benzin, even tho the price are.. ever so high novadays :old-sad:

Seeing old V8's, or rather AMG styling on a CL63 and other spesific racing-styles for their own branding.. Looks so much fun 😄

2 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Thats what im thinking, im the one driving it and i'll give zero shits what other says haha x'D

But eventually it gets to you and you get second doubts if its so smart 😄

Think i'll get 20 inch rims regardless of how unformfortable they are, maybe 19 inch will be the sweet spot and compromise.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

19 minutes ago, IKnight said:

I mean they're not horrible. On the contrary, they're probably fine for most things. Personally however I just don't think they have enough power, particularly for merging into traffic quickly on the highway. Also (I find) the throttle response is absolutely horrendous in the standard drive mode in most new Volvos (though I've only driven the autos, except for the XC40). There's a delay of over a second from when you step fully on the throttle (whilst doing like 80) to the car actually kicking down a gear or 2 and accelerating. 

You've also got to consider the fact that the d2 v40 (iirc thats the one you own?) is ~463kg lighter than a d3 v60, and ~560kg lighter than a d3 v90 (difference in bhp between the d2 and d3 is 30bhp). That's a huge difference, especially compared to the t3's, which lack the torque of the diesel. 

i mean i get the merging, speed limits in most of Europe are quite a bit higher than the 90kmh thats over here.

But otherwise i dont feel it lacking any power, does it change the fact that i want a car with more power? no but i got my bike for when i want speed 😂

most cars with modes, afaik, the throttle response will be quite bad unless its in performance mode ... or its a manual gearbox, cause economy and shit.

yep a 2015 D2 V40, but i have the dct in it .. which may be a reason it feels decent even though the 1st gear is way too short.
I do have to say that id love one of the PHEV volvos

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

15 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

i mean i get the merging, speed limits in most of Europe are quite a bit higher than the 90kmh thats over here.

But otherwise i dont feel it lacking any power, does it change the fact that i want a car with more power? no but i got my bike for when i want speed 😂

most cars with modes, afaik, the throttle response will be quite bad unless its in performance mode ... or its a manual gearbox, cause economy and shit.

yep a 2015 D2 V40, but i have the dct in it .. which may be a reason it feels decent even though the 1st gear is way too short.
I do have to say that id love one of the PHEV volvos

Gearboxs are pretty good regardless, mostly just the response that annoys me. The PHEVs are great though, I've tried the T5 and T6 XC40, and T8 XC90. Nice, quiet, economical around town, especially in the electric only mode, but they pull good all the way to 180 😉. Especially the T8s - they're in the "lose your license" catagory 😆.

12 hours ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Brake dust, but I'm also not going to obsessively clean wheels either.

10 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Love watching all the people driving like gas is still $2 lol

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Haven’t changed a thing. Going to Little Rock next weekend xD 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I have a white car, its not gonna make much difference 😄

When its 27nok per liter in norway.. 3$ per liter is.. really expensive..

Basicly 12$ per gallon in (roughly 3.78 liters.)

I remember that people went bananas back when i was in orlando in 2019 february..

When i arrived, price was 1.10 per gallon.. When it rose to 1.20 people said it was the end of the world lol.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

22 hours ago, IKnight said:

Gearboxs are pretty good regardless, mostly just the response that annoys me. The PHEVs are great though, I've tried the T5 and T6 XC40, and T8 XC90. Nice, quiet, economical around town, especially in the electric only mode, but they pull good all the way to 180 😉. Especially the T8s - they're in the "lose your license" catagory 😆.

Still think my bike is faster to 180 😛 
yeah id want a T6 PHEV XC60 

enough power for where im going and not too expensive ... yet a hybrid ... and enough headroom for my tall ass (wouldnt mind a V60 either but id want an awd one)

Anyone have thoughts on the K24W engines for long term reliability? @vetali probably see's these things all day long. They had the HPFP issues and fuel dilution problems, yeah?

17 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I give it another few months. Once people realize its gonna stretch into the summer and beyond I expect a big trade in / sell surge.

45 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Anyone have thoughts on the K24W engines for long term reliability? @vetali probably see's these things all day long. They had the HPFP issues and fuel dilution problems, yeah?

*googles engine*

Not really if maintained. They don't have oil dilution issues. Extended oil change interval eats timing components even if following the maintenance minder. I do a ton of starters on them. They are more reliable than the older ones that are guaranteed a VCT actuator replacement at some point + the coolant crossover pipe rusting and breaking the thermostat housing.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

25 minutes ago, vetali said:

*googles engine*

Not really if maintained. They don't have oil dilution issues. Extended oil change interval eats timing components even if following the maintenance minder. I do a ton of starters on them. They are more reliable than the older ones that are guaranteed a VCT actuator replacement at some point + the coolant crossover pipe rusting and breaking the thermostat housing.

Stupid maintenance minder systems. Google just kind of gave me a smattering of potential problems but nothing really firm, you only read about problems. Not a lot of people come to the internet to let you know there's nothing wrong with their car.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Stupid maintenance minder systems. Google just kind of gave me a smattering of potential problems but nothing really firm, you only read about problems. Not a lot of people come to the internet to let you know there's nothing wrong with their car.

Yeah I try to avoid most forums around a specific car for that reason, and the general bad info out there. Went to look at the passport forums to gauge interest in the facelifted model and wanted to headbutt a landmine afterwards. Seems like most dislike it, but they are usually sold as soon as they arrive. Had 3 come off the truck this week with all 3 sold in 12 hours.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

21 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yeah I try to avoid most forums around a specific car for that reason, and the general bad info out there. Went to look at the passport forums to gauge interest in the facelifted model and wanted to headbutt a landmine afterwards. Seems like most dislike it, but they are usually sold as soon as they arrive. Had 3 come off the truck this week with all 3 sold in 12 hours.

Yeah but that's pretty much any car right now...except Alfa.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Yeah but that's pretty much any car right now...except Alfa.

As far as Honda, the Accords and Pilots are collecting dust on the lot. Its all we really have right now. Pilot is on its 6th year and is dated vs competition. Accord is a mid size sedan. They don't sell. A couple CR-Vs but they usually move eventually. Pre pandemic it was Accords and Passports that didn't move.

Ridgelines, Civics, and Passports sell instantly or within a few days.

14 minutes ago, vetali said:

As far as Honda, the Accords and Pilots are collecting dust on the lot. Its all we really have right now. Pilot is on its 6th year and is dated vs competition. Accord is a mid size sedan. They don't sell. A couple CR-Vs but they usually move eventually. Pre pandemic it was Accords and Passports that didn't move.

Hmmm. How bad is the current Accord? I don't mind mid-size sedan as long as it's not going to run itself out of oil, grenade a trans, and can do at least 35 highway.

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Kind of a shame because the current accord is really really nice, especially optioned out. Friend of mine has one 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

7 hours ago, vetali said:

I give it another few months. Once people realize its gonna stretch into the summer and beyond I expect a big trade in / sell surge.

Can't wait for that to happen

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

Hmmm. How bad is the current Accord? I don't mind mid-size sedan as long as it's not going to run itself out of oil, grenade a trans, and can do at least 35 highway.

I would say for as few that have been sold, it was one of the more problematic models. Now that the BCM recall went out we see fewer issues though. Leaking injectors is a big problem on the 1.5t but Honda hasn't done much yet. Either causes rich codes or cylinder AF variation codes. The DI 3.5l is good for an injector replacement once in its life as well. Haven't seen any issues on the 2.0t but the 10 speed is one of the only transmissions that I have replaced under warranty.

10 hours ago, vetali said:

I would say for as few that have been sold, it was one of the more problematic models. Now that the BCM recall went out we see fewer issues though. Leaking injectors is a big problem on the 1.5t but Honda hasn't done much yet. Either causes rich codes or cylinder AF variation codes. The DI 3.5l is good for an injector replacement once in its life as well. Haven't seen any issues on the 2.0t but the 10 speed is one of the only transmissions that I have replaced under warranty.

Sounds like a pretty mixed bag, Honda has updated parts for the leaky injectors or are they doing a GM and just shoving the same stuff back in to get out of warranty?

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Sounds like a pretty mixed bag, Honda has updated parts for the leaky injectors or are they doing a GM and just shoving the same stuff back in to get out of warranty?

They are saying that manufacturing defects in the HPFP cause debris to accumulate in the b2 injectors on the v6 models. Nothing about the 1.5t... They have actually been declining injector replacement on some cars, making us do the service bulletin. The car usually comes back in a day with the same issue afterwards. A couple have misfired so bad that they needed towed.

Then they wonder why their CR reliability and fixed first visit ratings are sliding hard.