Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
captain_to_fire

Man named Frank Dickman sues Microsoft for $6bn for deliberately upgrading his PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, yian88 said:

I hope he wins and the judge makes M$ pay at least 1$ to annoy Dikman, and to affect M$ reputation, they deserve it.

Even if he wins the full amount, the only part that will effect MS will be the financial cost.  Their reputation will not change.


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Link to post
Share on other sites

? Seems like American just doing American things?


Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

I do not offer free or paid insurance coverage to anyone let alone bungee jumpers and skydivers.

I do not work in a profession or for a business that has anything to do with the tech/gaming industry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the second time I have used this today... WTF is wrong with people?!!!!!! And if he's as tech literate as the article and op suggests then hasn't he heard of backups?

FacethroughPalm.png.40da572f1a3f56d9bcf2b055ed0966b0.png


Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

 

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

 

 QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2018 at 12:11 PM, deXxterlab97 said:

So he lost his backup somehow, he lost his Win 7 recover partition. Next thing is he is gonna lost this lawsuit too, and money

Trouble is there are so many people who STILL don't make backup images or recovery USBs... I feel like shouting "FFS people it's 2018, USBs are cheap, and it takes almost zero effort to make a backup image and store it somewhere!"

Unfortunately you still see this on these forums even, where people haven't got a backup OR a USB, which with windows 10 is idiotic as you can no longer get to the recovery options without either being able to get into windows itself or to use a windows install/recovery USB IIRC. Yes it would take minimal effort to download a windows image onto USB, but it would take even less effort to buy a $5 USB drive and leave it as the win10 installer, OR make a recovery USB. $5 people! to save you possibly lots of hassle in the future, especially if you're not very computer savvy.


Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you, I may not see your post otherwise.

 

PSU tier list

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • AM4 1700 build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/26ZrTH
  • AMD Ryzen 1700 w/ Wraith Spire cooler @3.75 1.269V - ASrock AB350M Pro 4  - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz RAM @3066Mhz  - Crucial M500 M.2 SSD 240GB - Zotac GTX 1050 mini - 2TB HDD - Thermaltake Core V21 -  EVGA Supernova P2 850W Platinum PSU - Pioneer BD writer in external USB 3.0 5.25 chassis.
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • Deadpool server -  i7 6700K - Cryorig C7 cooler - b250 mobo - fractal design node 804 - 3x4TiB Seagate Iron Wolfs - EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • WD mycloud 3TB
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Trouble is there are so many people who STILL don't make backup images or recovery USBs... I feel like shouting "FFS people it's 2018, USBs are cheap, and it takes almost zero effort to make a backup image and store it somewhere!"

Unfortunately you still see this on these forums even, where people haven't got a backup OR a USB, which with windows 10 is idiotic as you can no longer get to the recovery options without either being able to get into windows itself or to use a windows install/recovery USB IIRC. Yes it would take minimal effort to download a windows image onto USB, but it would take even less effort to buy a $5 USB drive and leave it as the win10 installer, OR make a recovery USB. $5 people! to save you possibly lots of hassle in the future, especially if you're not very computer savvy.

Since Windows 8 launched Windows has installed it's recovery environment (WinRE) by default and if the system fails to boot on 2 consecutive tries WinRE is launched on the third boot giving the user access to the full suite of recovery tools available.

 

That said WinRE can only do a boot repair, system restore, system reset (on Windows 10 only) or recover from a Windows back up and is not a replacement for the OEM backup that will recover the PC back to factory defaults.


Spoiler

Main Rig:-

I7 6700K @ 4.8Ghz | MSI Z170A Gaming M7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Samsung SM951 512GB NVMe | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Full Alphacool Custom Water Loop | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | Corsair AX760I | Fractal Define XL R2.0 | Acer XB280HK 4K G Sync | Pioneer BDR-209EBK BDXL | Windows 10 Pro X64/MacOS 10.12.3 Sierra dual boot |

Spoiler

NAS/File Server/DNLA Server:-

I3 6100 | MSI H110 Pro-VD | 8GB Corsair Value 2400Mhz | Sandisk Ultra Plus 120GB SSD | 2 x WD Caviar Red 4TB RAID0 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | FSP 400w PSU | Aerocool Silent Cube White mATX | Windows Server 2012 R2 |

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Since Windows 8 launched Windows has installed it's recovery environment (WinRE) by default and if the system fails to boot on 2 consecutive tries WinRE is launched on the third boot giving the user access to the full suite of recovery tools available.

 

That said WinRE can only do a boot repair, system restore, system reset (on Windows 10 only) or recover from a Windows back up and is not a replacement for the OEM backup that will recover the PC back to factory defaults.

Yeah, I'm saying that it's better to be safe than sorry, and $5 for a USB with windows installer on it AND having a backup/image is the minimum I do nowadays just in case.

The recovery partition isn't infallible, and the guy claims that the upgrade wiped the recovery partition anyway.. don't think I believe that, but still would be better to have OPTIONS when it comes to your system.

[edit] BTW thanks for the info.. didn't know about the 2 consecutive tries to boot would trigger the recovery.


Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you, I may not see your post otherwise.

 

PSU tier list

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • AM4 1700 build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/26ZrTH
  • AMD Ryzen 1700 w/ Wraith Spire cooler @3.75 1.269V - ASrock AB350M Pro 4  - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz RAM @3066Mhz  - Crucial M500 M.2 SSD 240GB - Zotac GTX 1050 mini - 2TB HDD - Thermaltake Core V21 -  EVGA Supernova P2 850W Platinum PSU - Pioneer BD writer in external USB 3.0 5.25 chassis.
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • Deadpool server -  i7 6700K - Cryorig C7 cooler - b250 mobo - fractal design node 804 - 3x4TiB Seagate Iron Wolfs - EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • WD mycloud 3TB
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2018 at 6:59 AM, deXxterlab97 said:

Well he is a Dickman after all

I sense a meme being born.


Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose. By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy, otherwise known as The Beast.

 

You just be careful. Computers have already beaten the Communists at chess. Next thing you know, they'll be beating humans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I sense a meme being born.

Dickman sues AMD for allowing coin miners to artificially inflate price of GPU's.  Claims his CS-GO experience has been effected to the value of $6B.


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 hours ago, mr moose said:

Dickman sues AMD for allowing coin miners to artificially inflate price of GPU's.  Claims his CS-GO experience has been effected to the value of $6B.

Shhh! Don't give them ideas. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2018 at 6:52 AM, hey_yo_ said:

Dickman believed Asus to be "untrustworthy"

Why the hell would you buy from a self proclaimed untrustworthy brand then... Like FFS man stop being a dick and buy a computer from a company you trust...

ASUS sucks (imo), but that's why I don't buy their products (excluding used laptops, if they are alive after 2 years they ain't shit).

 

One sense I hope this moron wins, because of MS's BS towards windows 10, including going against user preferences.

On 2/16/2018 at 12:36 PM, hey_yo_ said:

I don’t know. I think most product keys of Windows 7 is single use only and might require activation through phone, I’m not sure but Dickman might be using an OEM installation. maybe @GoodBytes can answer.

Not completely true, I registered a Desktop using a Laptops key xD Granted it was a refurbished key...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Shhh! Don't give them ideas. :P

Dickman wishes to sue LTT user Hey_yo_  for defamation by insinuating that Dickman has no original ideas, which led to him not getting a $6B job as a conceptual scientist. . 


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys hurt my brain sometimes.

 

Yes people got forced windows 10 upgrades, even if they clicked cancel. It took a few times, but eventually they were forcibly upgraded without a choice.(this didn't happen to everyone)

 

Yes the upgrade to Windows 10 can eat your recovery partition provided by the oem. (It ate mine on my hp laptop)

 

Microsoft has pulled a lot of anti consumer stuff with Windows 10 regarding updates.  I hope this guy wins.  There's no way he'll get anywhere near what's initially asked for, but small cases provide jurisprudence.


Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

You guys hurt my brain sometimes.

 

Yes people got forced windows 10 upgrades, even if they clicked cancel. It took a few times, but eventually they were forcibly upgraded without a choice.(this didn't happen to everyone)

 

Yes the upgrade to Windows 10 can eat your recovery partition provided by the oem. (It ate mine on my hp laptop)

 

Microsoft has pulled a lot of anti consumer stuff with Windows 10 regarding updates.  I hope this guy wins.  There's no way he'll get anywhere near what's initially asked for, but small cases provide jurisprudence.

I keep hearing people say this, but did it actually happen?

 

 

I know the upgrade path presented by MS was unrelenting and in your face, but I have yet to actually see any evidence that when people clicked no it still installed anyway.

 

Most of the "I didn't want it" claims came from people who gave into the unrelenting nature of the pop ups, not people who woke up to installs after clicking no, I dare say those who woke up to installs did so after closing the pop up window rather than clicking decline". 

 


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2018 at 3:43 PM, mr moose said:

Dickman sues AMD for allowing coin miners to artificially inflate price of GPU's.  Claims his CS-GO experience has been effected to the value of $6B.

Dickman sues PUBG claiming to have PTSD after being totally rekt by an 8 year old in their game.

 

We need a comical picture of this man.


Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose. By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy, otherwise known as The Beast.

 

You just be careful. Computers have already beaten the Communists at chess. Next thing you know, they'll be beating humans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Dickman sues PUBG claiming to have PTSD after being totally rekt by an 8 year old in their game.

 

We need a comical picture of this man.

 

I nominate:

636214933109131066-AP-Film-Fantastic-Bea

 

Who sued his management for $25M because he can't control his own spending and was going broke.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2017/01/31/johnny-depp-lawsuit-countersue/97314582/


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mr moose said:

I keep hearing people say this, but did it actually happen?

 

 

I know the upgrade path presented by MS was unrelenting and in your face, but I have yet to actually see any evidence that when people clicked no it still installed anyway.

 

Most of the "I didn't want it" claims came from people who gave into the unrelenting nature of the pop ups, not people who woke up to installs after clicking no, I dare say those who woke up to installs did so after closing the pop up window rather than clicking decline". 

 

consent is only granted with yes


Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yoinkerman said:

consent is only granted with yes

So it didn't actually happen then?

 

No one clicked decline and the upgrade went ahead anyway.


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×