The FASTEST* Laptop We’ve Ever SEEN

I don't remember the last desktop-grade CPU I saw in a laptop...

It might have been one of higher range i7 laptops from a year or two back.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

"The RX 580 can't keep up with the GTX 1060"

*Proceeds to show gaming benchmarks vs. laptop with different CPU, which show the results of a two margin of error benchmarks, three benchmarks in which the RX 580 laptop wins and one where it loses*

Yea, I don't think that is "not keeping up", but rather a fairly head to head competition, or a case where maybe the CPU had influence on the results.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, Minibois said:

*Proceeds to show gaming benchmarks vs. laptop with different CPU, which show the results of a two margin of error benchmarks, three benchmarks in which the RX 580 laptop wins and one where it loses*

Yea, I don't think that is "not keeping up", but rather a fairly head to head competition, or a case where maybe the CPU had influence on the results.

Well, the RX 580 is basically a rebrand of the 480, which was somewhat inferior, but 580 goes neck and neck with the GTX 1060. :)

1 minute ago, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

Well, the RX 580 is basically a rebrand of the 480, which was somewhat inferior, but 580 goes neck and neck with the GTX 1060. :)

It's really mostly dependent on how the game is optimized or if either AMD or Nvidia have helped the developer in the optimization.

Shadow of War (which was shown in the benchmarks), is an example of a game that works better on Nvidia.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

24 minutes ago, Minibois said:

It's really mostly dependent on how the game is optimized or if either AMD or Nvidia have helped the developer in the optimization.

Shadow of War (which was shown in the benchmarks), is an example of a game that works better on Nvidia.

I agree. But I think that what they ment as "it can't keep up" is the acoustic, thermal, and battery performance to Nvidia which has more experience in laptop graphics. 

1 hour ago, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

Well the biggest issue is actually VRAM, probably. The rx 480 was already bottlenecked by VRAM and they didn't change it for the RX 580, that's why the performance gap is almost 0. And as we know the 4GB models run at a slower memory clock than the 8GB models, which is by far the biggest cause of the performance difference.

The RX 580 in the asus is only 4GB, so lower memory speeds and performs lower than the "average" RX 580, because basically every tech youtube person out there uses 8GB models, it might look like the RX 580 is performing a bit worse than usual, because it is indeed lower clocked.

Undervolting the GPU and overclocking the VRAM might give you better performance with lower power consumption, less heat and less noise, but that's of course far from ideal and shouldn't be done in the first place.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 hours ago, Minibois said:

Not to mention how the RX580 had better minimums on the majority of titles :P

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

You think that battery is bad you didn't get to test a Toshiba Qosmio X70 a few years back.

Kind of a blessing not to have to deal with Toshiba's laptops any more - despite some great design effort their engineering was seriously questionable at times. I'm not at all surprised that they went under.

A big reason why battery life is so bad is because Ryzen has no integrated GPU. Unlike Intel and APU based laptops that can switch off the dedicated graphics and run solely on integrated during light workloads, with a laptop like this the Rx 580 is running ALL the time. Running a full fledged desktop GPU takes a lot of power, and until they can figure out a solution for this, there will likely be no Ryzen laptops with good battery life.

"Rawr XD"

10 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

A big reason why battery life is so bad is because Ryzen has no integrated GPU. Unlike Intel laptops that can switch off the dedicated graphics and run solely on Intel HD during light workloads, with a laptop like this the Rx 580 is running ALL the time. Running a full fledged desktop GPU takes a lot of power, and until they can figure out a solution for this, there will likely be no Ryzen laptops with good battery life.

I learn something new!

Wait, if the 580 can’t keep up with the 1060

Why do the charts show a pretty small delta between the 2?

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, Spektykles said:

Sorry, Linus, but this is the FASTEST!!!

and also not reaching 95C with 95W TDP CPU...
Prepare your towel!!!

R7 1700 only has a 65W tdp... But i think at least in this case it's the fan curve being a bit derpy that's the biggest cause of the thermal issues like Linus said. There's a clear difference in noise between the GPU stress tests and the CPU stress tests so there's clearly some room for improvement left.

And the one you linked is almost twice the price, for that kind of money you can get the asus and upgrade it yourself to an 1800x and still have more than 1k to spare.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

OK so I watched this video as I just did my taxes and in the market for gaming on the go laptop!!!

Masa Linus said there are "other better options at this price point." What models should I be looking at for 1,500.00 - 1,700.00 US Tops. I am sold on the 17" IPS, Num pad and i am a ROG/ASUS Fanboi so I gravitate to ASUS products as they never let me down and took care of my during an RMA.

Games like Warcraft legion, all Dragon Age titles (even DA2), Divinity 2, KOA:R, Dark Siders 2, Dark Siders 3 when it comes out, other old outdated action RPGs circa 2009-2012.

Battery life never concerns me as there are outlets every where. Even on chairs in an Airport. I usually rip out the battery and leave in the box and just plug in the machine in.

I prefer a ASUS with the ROG red LED on black scheme or the green LED Razer logo. Any suggestions will be considered. Thanks in advance!

On 2/4/2018 at 11:32 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I don't remember the last desktop-grade CPU I saw in a laptop...

It might have been one of higher range i7 laptops from a year or two back.

Clevo/Sager makes them.  I have one with an i7-6700K, then there was a couple with an i7-7700K, and now there's a couple models with i7-8700Ks.

Then there's this. :o

Screenshot_20180204-131713.png.34ee45a47eac3c38baa9234a7b42a48c.png

That is a LAPTOP with an LGA 2011 socket!  It was also the Clevo P570WM / Sager NP9570.

Now Clevo/Sager/Eurocom needs to update it with an LGA3647 or TR4/SP3. I'd like to see Linus review one if they did, especially hearing his "OMG a HEDT/Server socket in a LAPTOP?!" :P

21 hours ago, Aniallation said:

A big reason why battery life is so bad is because Ryzen has no integrated GPU. Unlike Intel and APU based laptops that can switch off the dedicated graphics and run solely on integrated during light workloads, with a laptop like this the Rx 580 is running ALL the time. Running a full fledged desktop GPU takes a lot of power, and until they can figure out a solution for this, there will likely be no Ryzen laptops with good battery life.

I'd like to see a way to downclock a discrete GPU and turn off some of its cores when running light workloads.  For example, if I'm just editing a Word document, do I really need a 3DMark Ice Storm score higher than about 80 or so?

13 hours ago, samcool55 said:

R7 1700 only has a 65W tdp... But i think at least in this case it's the fan curve being a bit derpy that's the biggest cause of the thermal issues like Linus said. There's a clear difference in noise between the GPU stress tests and the CPU stress tests so there's clearly some room for improvement left.

And the one you linked is almost twice the price, for that kind of money you can get the asus and upgrade it yourself to an 1800x and still have more than 1k to spare.

Well, Im talking about the video title...duh...

Did Linus mix up the graphs? He said it consistently lost to the 1060, but it was either similar or better in all games. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

• 1 month later...

I'd actually really like to see Ryzen 7i (or whatever that 8 core with iGPU is) that is fairly lightweight with thunderbolt for eGPU box. I pretty much only need GPU for the occasional game or some password cracking, but could use more CPU power pretty often.

Do you know if such a thing is in the works?