Logitech provides the best peripheral firmware update ever? G203 gets 8000 DPI Support and more!

AlTech

Logitech has released a new Firmware update for their G203 mouse.

A) The maximum DPI has been bumped from 6000 to 8000 (a 33% increase).

B) The maximum speed has been increased from 200 IPS to 300 IPS

C) The maximum acceleration has been increased from 25G to 35G.

So yeah, an overall solid Mouse Upgrade for free :). I wonder why they couldn't do this at launch though.....

logitech_prodigy_678_678x452_678x452.jpg

Performance upgrades from hardware manufacturers are always welcome, but in the vast majority of cases even tiny upgrades come in a form of new products rather than in a form of software or firmware updates. Logitech has decided to do something that rarely happens these days: the company issued a firmware update that improves the precision and some other performance aspects of the entry-level G203 Prodigy gaming mouse, which was launched earlier this year. Among other things, the upgrade helps to position the G203 above the G102 launched in 2016.

One of the key features of the Logitech G203 Prodigy is its simplistic shape, which, as Logitech puts it, brings “ergonomics back to basics” without sacrificing usability. The mouse uses one of the company’s in-house-customized sensors with on-the-fly adjustable resolution (which was originally set at 200-6000 DPI) along with an ARM processing core that supports USB report rate of 1000 Hz (appropriate software is required for relevant operating systems). Buttons on the Logitech G203 Prodigy can be completely reprogrammed using Logitech’s software and then used on different PCs since button configuration is stored inside the mouse. As a courtesy to the recent market trends, Logitech engineers even installed a programmable RGB LED into the G logotype on the mouse.

On a more serious business note on why this actually matters, I do wonder if instead of releasing loads of new products every year if we got less frequent releases and just release products with better internals and with more firmware or software controlling the features of it. Tesla seemed to think it was the future with the Tesla Model S battery unlock controversy but they did a 180 on that decision.

Example Product:

Company Blue introduces new 12 core CPU where you pay for an amount of cores and cache. E.g. Pay $100 to have 4 cores or $200 or have 8 etc

and then have this controlled via firmware or software to allow people to not have to buy a new CPU all over again .

I don't know. Maybe I'm reading too much into this. It wouldn't be the first time :P.

Source:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11907/logitech-ups-precision-of-g203-prodigy-mouse-to-8000-dpi

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Oh wow. That's pretty nice from Logitech to improve a mouse performance quite substantially by an update

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

What improvements? Who uses those settings?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Logitech is hands-down the best peripheral maker in the market.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Interesting. I'm going to assume the sensors was capable of that when they launched it, but the processing had some bugs so they capped it until they could solve the problem. Still, kind of fun for people to get a Mouse Upgrade for Free. 

Not something that happens often.

hmm now drop an update to the G502 that fixes my only gripe with it, its too light even with all the weights :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I don't even go anywhere close to that kind of DPI with my mouse: I generally stay at 1500dpi or 800dpi, depending on what I do.

GG for Logitech though.

The higher the screen res the more useful a higher DPI becomes. Not to mention you get used to a high dpi pretty quickly and then get annoyed by low DPI settings.

On 08/10/2017 at 8:44 AM, ivan134 said:

17 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I don't even go anywhere close to that kind of DPI with my mouse: I generally stay at 1500dpi or 800dpi, depending on what I do.

GG for Logitech though.

6 hours ago, ElfFriend said:

The higher the screen res the more useful a higher DPI becomes. Not to mention you get used to a high dpi pretty quickly and then get annoyed by low DPI settings.

Yeah, I tought the same: 1800 dpi on my 1440x900 monitor is very high, but if I go 4k... Well, I think it would be impossible to use

And anyway, a improvement is a improvement, no matter how 'useless' it is. Unless it is a marketing stunt (which in this case is not, because they are upgrading the model for free)

Edited by Taja

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

16 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

hmm now drop an update to the G502 that fixes my only gripe with it, its too light even with all the weights :P 

Buy some heavier weights. Problem solved.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

*/me looks at their laggy logitech Performance MX mouse and tries to update firmware.  again.*

Awe...

1n54c6.jpg

I wonder if logitech has left a lot of performance on the table for other mice/peripherals.  I would guess that this "upgrade" happened either because they try to reuse driver code across as much of their product stack as possible, or it could quite likely have been a straight error.  Nice that they caught whatever the problem was and passed it along.

Everbody talks about the DPI, sure most of us don't need it that high but the speed and acceleration are also bumped up and that's nice for gamers as it increases accuracy.

Maybe they didn't implement the full potential because they had a plan to release a mouse with "the full potential". To avoid inhouse competition they trimmed down the firmware of the G203.

It kinda reminds me of this:

And yes, I know the update was free, but I would like to know how they did it if the hardware didn't change.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

50 minutes ago, Taja said:

Yeah, I tought the same: 1800 dpi on my 1440x900 monitor is very high, but if I go 4k... Well, I think it would be impossible to use

And anyway, a improvement is a improvement, no matter how 'useless' it is. Unless it is a marketing stunt (which in this case is not, because they are upgrading the model for free)

Hell, even at something like 2048x1536 is 1500dpi fine for me. Actually I prefer a lower DPI for editing and cleaning up artwork scans.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

14 minutes ago, stunner2002 said:

Everbody talks about the DPI, sure most of us don't need it that high but the speed and acceleration are also bumped up and that's nice for gamers as it increases accuracy.

Maybe they didn't implement the full potential because they had a plan to release a mouse with "the full potential". To avoid inhouse competition they trimmed down the firmware of the G203.

Mouse acceleration does exactly the opposite of making you more accurate. Should always have it turned off.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Mouse acceleration does exactly the opposite of making you more accurate. Should always have it turned off.

I took it to mean that the mouse can now recognize faster twitch movements considering the units the bump was measured in (G). But maybe I misunderstood.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I took it to mean that the mouse can now recognize faster twitch movements considering the units the bump was measured in (G). But maybe I misunderstood.

That's the correct answer ;)

Maximum physical acceleration is what I meant.

I don't go that crazy, but I have my DPI toggle switch on ~3800 and ~4300.

Very rarely would I lower it for LAN parties or long stretches of a very specific game.

Other than that I can deal with a few games being ~10% less accurate while being comfortable and quick in others.

And I can blast through windows OS from dealing with it all my life. I almost have the cursor ready before the windows is up. lol makes me feel like a cool hacker kid. *click, click, click, click, click* *bam, bam, bam, bam*

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Buy some heavier weights. Problem solved.

i was makeing a bit of a joke. either way i have lead bricks il be makeing weights from some day

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, ZackBarletto said:

And I can blast through windows OS from dealing with it all my life. lol I almost have the cursor ready before the windows is up. lol makes me feel like a cool hacker kid. lol *click, click, click, click, click* *bam, bam, bam, bam* lol

Stop the lols! 

On 10/8/2017 at 12:44 PM, ivan134 said:

The IPS (speed) upgrade is nice tho...

If you're someone who plays fast paced FPS with low sensitivity and DPI, its not actually that hard to surpass 200IPS in my experience :P (I consistently hit 7.7m/s back when I played a lot of CSGO with a DPI 400 and 2 sens). 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :)