Asus Rog Strix X670E-E Gaming Wifi BIOS.

Go to solution Solved by ARandomPerson,

This article by Asus talks about how to find out what bios the Mobo had installed

[Motherboard] How to check what Bios version your motherboard is shipped with | Official Support | ROG USA (asus.com)

TLDR: Check the last 4 digits of the barcode that is on the Motherboard

Hello All, 

I am putting together a new machine for my son that includes:

Mobo:  Asus Rog Strix X670E-E Gaming Wifi

CPU:     AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Ram:     Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB (2x32)

Case:    Hyte-70

PSU:     Corsair 850 Watt Gold

GPU:     Haven't decided yet but have a 590 or a 1080Ti Hybrid to get me thru the build and replace with something better once everything is situated. 

Question:   Should I attempt to upgrade or check the BIOS "BEFORE" I put the machine together or not and just proceed with the build without checking/upgrading the BIOS.  The package the MOBO came in has a sticker on it that says the mobo was manufactured in November 2023.

Thanks for taking the time to read my note.

3 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

or not and just proceed with the build without checking/upgrading the BIOS.

This. The system would boot whether or not the BIOS is updated, just make sure to update the BIOS to one post-SOC issues after the system is working. If you don't enable EXPO/XMP, it won't raise the SOC voltage and there's no danger in using those BIOSes.

Posted (edited)

This article by Asus talks about how to find out what bios the Mobo had installed

[Motherboard] How to check what Bios version your motherboard is shipped with | Official Support | ROG USA (asus.com)

TLDR: Check the last 4 digits of the barcode that is on the Motherboard

Edited by ARandomPerson
grammar and added TLDR

Thanks for the responses.  I checked the Asus support website and found the following information.

The support site says the BIOS has been validated for the Ryzen 7 7800X3D since BIOS 1303 and the sticker on the mobo says the BIOS is 0806, so.......

I guess it would be safe to "assume" the 1303 is the most current but unfortunately the website does not associate a date with 1303 where the box says date of manufacture is March of 2023.  I will stick with the current situation and see how far that gets me and then worry about updating after the machine is up and running.

Once again, thanks to those that responded.  I appreciate the help because I really hate screwing with the BIOS.....

Take care and good luck.

23 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Thanks for the responses.  I checked the Asus support website and found the following information.

The support site says the BIOS has been validated for the Ryzen 7 7800X3D since BIOS 1303 and the sticker on the mobo says the BIOS is 0806, so.......

I guess it would be safe to "assume" the 1303 is the most current but unfortunately the website does not associate a date with 1303 where the box says date of manufacture is March of 2023.  I will stick with the current situation and see how far that gets me and then worry about updating after the machine is up and running.

Once again, thanks to those that responded.  I appreciate the help because I really hate screwing with the BIOS.....

Take care and good luck.

Personally, I updated the BIOS first, it just makes more sense to me.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Personally, I updated the BIOS first, it just makes more sense to me.

I will keep that in mind as I haven't decided what exactly to do yet.  I am waiting for the new PSU to arrive sometime, hopefully, this coming Wednesday or Thursday.

Thanks for the reply.

Take care and good luck.

9 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

I will keep that in mind as I haven't decided what exactly to do yet.  I am waiting for the new PSU to arrive sometime, hopefully, this coming Wednesday or Thursday.

Thanks for the reply.

Take care and good luck.

I was just ultra paranoid to make sure I didn't boot without the SoC voltage fix.  I also wasn't sure at the time what happens when the TPM gets reset after a BIOS update, basically nothing so long as you aren't using Bitlocker.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Since I don't have a clue at all about what SOC is, that is obviously one of the things in the BIOS that I don't screw with.   I know how to use the XMP function and to enable/disable the drives and stuff like that but when it comes to messing with voltages and stuff like that, I stay away from those things a far as I can be.

As for Bitlocker, I don't mess with that either.  Since no-one other than myself and my son will be using this machine I see no reason to mess with it either.  Since I am getting older, passwords are some of the things that I don't have an easy time remembering them and since Bitlocker uses a password (I think anyway), I won't be messing with that either.

The one thing that I will have to dig out of the files is the Windows Activation Key.  I have a printed copy of it lying around here somewhere and since this will be a fresh build, I want to do a fresh install of Win11.

Thanks for the help,

Take care and good luck.