Vega, mining and the 'gamer' what chance do we have?

dewuevnoc

I plan on a vega64 air cooled card making it's way into my system one way or another. ideally the stand alone card but, I'm prepared to fork the extra $100 for a pack and throwing away the discounts (the games interest me, so there's that)

with the talk about the ridiculous hash rate on Vega 64 (whether they're based on fact or not considering FE"s hash rate is questionable ) I'm concerned that, even buying on launch day I might not get a card.

Was Polaris reveled to be a great mining card just prior to it's launch? How did that effect avability for reference cards? Who are AMD's launch day retailers? 

I don't want to have to wake up at 12:01 AM just to beat some one trying to make a couple of bucks...

newegg has been putting limits on the hard to get cards so that might help

if you want one its either try really hard at launch or wait a while for more stock 

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

I had to wait to get my 1080. I put myself on several waiting list with desktop alerts. I jumped on the first one available, which wasn't the exact model I was planning on, but I was sick of waiting and pounced on it. Just in time too, as they all sold out within minutes. >:(

Best Excuses:

#1(simple) "Well, I never liked that stupid thing anyway!"

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."

Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell.

Really, people buying multiple cards are making more than "a couple bucks" ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I will be watching for the limited edition air cooled 64s like a hawk.

Last year, I made the mistake of sitting on Polaris. Next thing I know, I couldn't even buy them.

I am not making that same mistake twice.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

36 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell.

Really, people buying multiple cards are making more than "a couple bucks" ;)

oh I understand it's more than a couple of bucks.

it doesn't change the fact that mining is to a degree, ruining PC gaming. 

I put together a brand new rig for a couple of titles specifically because they look better on PC.

Now I'm glad I didn't get rid of the PS4. . .

Just now, dewuevnoc said:

oh I understand it's more than a couple of bucks.

it doesn't change the fact that mining is to a degree, ruining PC gaming. 

Haha no. There's still millions of people that play. Just because right now it's a little tricky to build a higher end machine doesn't mean it'll die at all. There are still low tier cards aplenty. You could always buy one of those to tide you over.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

AMD card reliability is questionable though as their cards seem to be dying quick since their GCN2 and newer. So what this means is that buying a used card that was used for mining is a bad deal. See if you can preorder the card, it locks you to getting the card at the said price.

The best way to deter from mining if you cant change the algorithm, is to ship the cards with a firmware that nerfs hashing performance on the consumer cards, not the professional ones. Later on introduce an update to unlock the full hashing performance, afterall nvidia has been doing it on their consumer cards for years to reduce the performance in non gaming use.

18 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha no. There's still millions of people that play. Just because right now it's a little tricky to build a higher end machine doesn't mean it'll die at all. There are still low tier cards aplenty. You could always buy one of those to tide you over.

Merely one aspect of my complaints about the issue, although, I didn't say it was dying. It is unquestionably interfering with anyone's ability to put together a machine at the moment. 

I did buy a 970 hold me over but, It would make no sense at this point to buy some other used card for my build plan. Even if I hadn't bought the 970, how many AMD cards can reliably push 4K? How many haven't been used for mining already? How long as Polaris consistently been out of stock? I put together my purchases based on the theory that this wouldn't be an issue. Now I'm wondering if the free sync panel was such a good idea and, whether I should just jump ship to Nvidia. The $400 premium has kept me patient but at the end of the day If I want a mediocre experience, my consoles are just fine for that. 

2 hours ago, System Error Message said:

AMD card reliability is questionable though as their cards seem to be dying quick since their GCN2 and newer. So what this means is that buying a used card that was used for mining is a bad deal. See if you can preorder the card, it locks you to getting the card at the said price.

The best way to deter from mining if you cant change the algorithm, is to ship the cards with a firmware that nerfs hashing performance on the consumer cards, not the professional ones. Later on introduce an update to unlock the full hashing performance, afterall nvidia has been doing it on their consumer cards for years to reduce the performance in non gaming use.

So then genius, how would a firmware differentiate between hashing and literally any other GPGPU program that can be run on a GPU?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

14 hours ago, dewuevnoc said:

Merely one aspect of my complaints about the issue, although, I didn't say it was dying. It is unquestionably interfering with anyone's ability to put together a machine at the moment. 

I did buy a 970 hold me over but, It would make no sense at this point to buy some other used card for my build plan. Even if I hadn't bought the 970, how many AMD cards can reliably push 4K? How many haven't been used for mining already? How long as Polaris consistently been out of stock? I put together my purchases based on the theory that this wouldn't be an issue. Now I'm wondering if the free sync panel was such a good idea and, whether I should just jump ship to Nvidia. The $400 premium has kept me patient but at the end of the day If I want a mediocre experience, my consoles are just fine for that. 

Dying and ruining are basically the same thing. You should have been more concise and said something like "ruining the ability for current builds." Saying it's ruining gaming is simply misleading.

• The R9 Fury X, and the 295x2 both handle 4k relatively well.
  • Mining doesn't affect newer cards as much as you'd think.
  • If you purchased parts over time, it's a lesson: buy all at once for the best value.
  • Theories are just that, theories. You need to come to terms with reality and adapt accordingly.
  • Nvidia cards mine too. It's not like before when it was only AMD. You'd be in the same boat.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

It is unquestionably interfering with anyone's ability to put together a machine buy an AMD GPU at the moment. 

FTFY

The $400 premium has kept me patient

Patient enough to not be keeping up with GSync prices? Most comparable GSync monitors only cost about $100 to $150 more than FreeSync. Bestbuy is currently selling a 144Hz Gsync 27" 1440p display for $450. The cheapest FreeSync monitor that matches those specs is $408 (the Acer XG270HU).

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4yGj4D/dell-s2716dgr-270-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-s2716dgr

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

On 8/7/2017 at 4:31 PM, ITheSpazI said:

newegg has been putting limits on the hard to get cards so that might help

That's good. :)

I think it'd be nice if there was a way to also limit sales based on games, monitor setup, etc.  For example,

• Someone playing CS:GO, LoL, etc. at 1080p 60Hz 1 monitor might only be allowed to buy a single RX 560 or GTX 1050 or lower.
  • Someone playing ARK:Survival Evolved or Ghost Recon Wildlands at 2160p 120-144Hz or 4320p 60Hz with 16 or 24 monitors(*1) could be permitted to buy 4 RX Vega 64s or equivalent NVidia.

(*1) There was a card - FirePro W9100 - that had 6 mini DP ports, times 4-way CF = 24 displays.  Don't think it supported 8K 60Hz per port, but if a newer one used all miniDPs.....hey, I think you could fit like 7 or 8 per PCI slot, times the 11 slots in the Corsair 900D ... 88 Monitors, anyone? :) Ultrawide 122880x21600, or 76800x34560? :P

Also, limit how often you're allowed to buy.  You could only buy extras if the natural-length warranty expired, or you're RMA'ing a deceased(*2) card, for example.

(*2) Mining would immediately void all warranty on a consumer card (would still have to wait the year or whatever to buy a new one, although new architecture release would be allowed to buy), and somehow make sure the miner's CC info (used to purchase the card) doesn't get purged. (Of course this would be disclosed up front even before adding the card to cart.) Then, when the miner sells the card used, the buyer, upon installing it or checking warranty status, would be notified, and get a voucher/coupon for a free upgrade to SLI Quadro V6000s or CrossFireX Radeon Pro SSG (or equivalent gaming cards), paid for by the miner. :D

These limits wouldn't apply to cards like the Radeon Pro SSG or Tesla V100.

On 8/7/2017 at 5:38 PM, System Error Message said:

This!! Nerf the mining performance in gaming cards.  Price/performance for mining after the nerf should be the equivalent of getting 3-4 fps at 144p, lowest settings, in (1992) Wolfenstein 3D on a Quadro P6000.  Require a Tesla or Radeon Pro SSG for full mining performance.  A Quadro (or AMD equivalent) would be in-between - using the nerfed-gaming-on-pro-cards analogy: $/perf like 24-30fps at 720p medium in CS:GO or LoL on a Quadro P6000. :P

4 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

That's good. :)

I think it'd be nice if there was a way to also limit sales based on games, monitor setup, etc.  For example,

• Someone playing CS:GO, LoL, etc. at 1080p 60Hz 1 monitor might only be allowed to buy a single RX 560 or GTX 1050 or lower.
  • Someone playing ARK:Survival Evolved or Ghost Recon Wildlands at 2160p 120-144Hz or 4320p 60Hz with 16 or 24 monitors(*1) could be permitted to buy 4 RX Vega 64s or equivalent NVidia.

(*1) There was a card - FirePro W9100 - that had 6 mini DP ports, times 4-way CF = 24 displays.  Don't think it supported 8K 60Hz per port, but if a newer one used all miniDPs.....hey, I think you could fit like 7 or 8 per PCI slot, times the 11 slots in the Corsair 900D ... 88 Monitors, anyone? :) Ultrawide 122880x21600, or 76800x34560? :P

Also, limit how often you're allowed to buy.  You could only buy extras if the natural-length warranty expired, or you're RMA'ing a deceased(*2) card, for example.

(*2) Mining would immediately void all warranty on a consumer card (would still have to wait the year or whatever to buy a new one, although new architecture release would be allowed to buy), and somehow make sure the miner's CC info (used to purchase the card) doesn't get purged. (Of course this would be disclosed up front even before adding the card to cart.) Then, when the miner sells the card used, the buyer, upon installing it or checking warranty status, would be notified, and get a voucher/coupon for a free upgrade to SLI Quadro V6000s or CrossFireX Radeon Pro SSG (or equivalent gaming cards), paid for by the miner. :D

These limits wouldn't apply to cards like the Radeon Pro SSG or Tesla V100.

This!! Nerf the mining performance in gaming cards.  Price/performance for mining after the nerf should be the equivalent of getting 3-4 fps at 144p, lowest settings, in (1992) Wolfenstein 3D on a Quadro P6000.  Require a Tesla or Radeon Pro SSG for full mining performance.  A Quadro (or AMD equivalent) would be in-between - using the nerfed-gaming-on-pro-cards analogy: $/perf like 24-30fps at 720p medium in CS:GO or LoL on a Quadro P6000. :P

Um, I sure hope that they don't nerf.  Nerf mining would hurt more than just mining.

F@H and BOINC projects (especially certain BOINC projects) need that performance of a GPU.

Also, good luck on telling if a card was mined on.  F@H and BOINC put way more stress than any mining application will do.  From my experience, I actually see higher temps when running F@H or BOINC compare to running a mining application.  A skilled miner does not go balls to the wall with GPUs, especially if said miner is playing the electric bill.

Just to give an example:  my GTX980Ti runs at 50-55C under water when doing PrimeGrid or Einstein@Home, OC to around 1500MHz.  F@H the card sits at around 40-45C.  Mining, lower core OC, bump RAM, lower TDP, bam, card cruising lovely at around 35-40C.  Not hard to guess why I put I abuse GPUs with F@H and BOINC in my sig.  :P 

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Maybe we most pre-order?

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

9 hours ago, Nena360 said:

Maybe we most pre-order?

That's my plan.

Worst case, if it's trash, just return it :)

Newegg Premiere!

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

12 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Just to give an example:  my GTX980Ti runs at 50-55C under water when doing PrimeGrid or Einstein@Home, OC to around 1500MHz.  F@H the card sits at around 40-45C.  Mining, lower core OC, bump RAM, lower TDP, bam, card cruising lovely at around 35-40C.  Not hard to guess why I put I abuse GPUs with F@H and BOINC in my sig.  :P 

Do you use F@H/BOINC 24/7 for months at a time?

31 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Do you use F@H/BOINC 24/7 for months at a time?

Yep.  I run 24/7 F@H/BOINC.  Usually have the CPU doing BOINC tasks with open threads for the GPUs to do F@H.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 8/7/2017 at 4:27 PM, dewuevnoc said:

I plan on a vega64 air cooled card making it's way into my system one way or another. ideally the stand alone card but, I'm prepared to fork the extra $100 for a pack and throwing away the discounts (the games interest me, so there's that)

with the talk about the ridiculous hash rate on Vega 64 (whether they're based on fact or not considering FE"s hash rate is questionable ) I'm concerned that, even buying on launch day I might not get a card.

Was Polaris reveled to be a great mining card just prior to it's launch? How did that effect avability for reference cards? Who are AMD's launch day retailers? 

I don't want to have to wake up at 12:01 AM just to beat some one trying to make a couple of bucks...

With ASUS, MSI and others we mind as well wait till sept. to see what they have for us (gamers) 

Well everyone, thank you very much for your replies.

After a long think about what's been said here, what I actually play and, what I'm looking for in my build, I picked up a 1080ti and a Dell 2716DG to replace the 4K LG panel I bought for Vega. The Dell is on sale at BB for $450 right now so I'm not too much over my budget.  

The card came in last night and I feel as though I've made the right choice, can't wait for the Dell to come in tonight!

1 hour ago, dewuevnoc said:

After a long think about what's been said here, what I actually play and, what I'm looking for in my build, I picked up a 1080ti and a Dell 2716DG to replace the 4K LG panel I bought for Vega. The Dell is on sale at BB for $450 right now so I'm not too much over my budget.  

The card came in last night and I feel as though I've made the right choice, can't wait for the Dell to come in tonight!

Since you had the cash, you are getting the better experience with that combo anyway!

I am excited to hear about it!

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

when i said to nerf GPGPU performance i meant temporarely. Release card with compute nerf, 6 months later add an update to give full performance. Isnt that what nvidia just did with the titan xp?

2 hours ago, dewuevnoc said:

Congrats on your purchase! I'm sure you'll quickly fall in love :)

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

2 hours ago, System Error Message said:

when i said to nerf GPGPU performance i meant temporarely. Release card with compute nerf, 6 months later add an update to give full performance. Isnt that what nvidia just did with the titan xp?

Pretty soon, I'm going to request a thumbs down rating...

Crippling GPGPU will piss off a lot more than just the mining community BTW. 3D artists, folding@home and other such tasks will also be hit.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…