Vega, mining and the 'gamer' what chance do we have?

dewuevnoc
8 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Pretty soon, I'm going to request a thumbs down rating...

Crippling GPGPU will piss off a lot more than just the mining community BTW. 3D artists, folding@home and other such tasks will also be hit.

when miners grab hold of all the cards and cause a supply shortage, than these guys dont get the GPUs too. Hence why its better to nerf GPGPU performance TEMPORARILY, which is what i've been saying. At least the folders and 3D artists and gamers will have cards despite the temporarily nerfed GPGPU performance rather than no GPU.

On 8/7/2017 at 5:31 PM, dewuevnoc said:

oh I understand it's more than a couple of bucks.

it doesn't change the fact that mining is to a degree, ruining PC gaming. 

I put together a brand new rig for a couple of titles specifically because they look better on PC.

Now I'm glad I didn't get rid of the PS4. . .

mining doesnt ruin pc gaming in any degree... just because the price of graphics cards went up a bit for a while it doesnt affect the current gaming community. I personally mine and game... it doesnt affect my preformance. I realize that your trying to put it in a way saying "owe since these miners are buying all there graphics cards its ruining peoples lives" but in reality its just another way to make money... just like linus stated in one of his vidoes he would of done it if he knew about it.

Current build.

I7-4930K     ASUS SABERTOOTH X79 MOBO     32GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM RAM    3TB HARD DRIVE

MSI LIGHTNING GTX 1080 TI    4 OPTICAL DRIVES      CORSAIR H100i V2      750 WATT CORSAIR PSU 

5 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

when miners grab hold of all the cards and cause a supply shortage, than these guys dont get the GPUs too. Hence why its better to nerf GPGPU performance TEMPORARILY, which is what i've been saying.

Miners won't care, they would still buy all the stock.  The 480/580 weren't exactly brand new when the mining crysis started so your "solution" would have had zero effect on the miners while making every low level prosper,  CAD/gamer, renderer/gamer etc. drop the card like a steaming turd in favor of one that wasn't gimped on launch

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, gabe54541 said:

mining doesnt ruin pc gaming in any degree... just because the price of graphics cards went up a bit for a while it doesnt affect the current gaming community. I personally mine and game... it doesnt affect my preformance. I realize that your trying to put it in a way saying "owe since these miners are buying all there graphics cards its ruining peoples lives" but in reality its just another way to make money... just like linus stated in one of his vidoes he would of done it if he knew about it.

The problem are miners that buy loads and loads of GPUs causing a shortage and lots of price hikes. It wasnt just a small price hike but it was a big one. All of a sudden GPUs werent affordable for gamers that were before. You can also blame the sellers too that are increasing the prices because they dont have to. They buy the GPUs for the same price but because of demand but lack of shortage are able to get away with increasing prices.

Just now, System Error Message said:

The problem are miners that buy loads and loads of GPUs causing a shortage and lots of price hikes. It wasnt just a small price hike but it was a big one. All of a sudden GPUs werent affordable for gamers that were before. You can also blame the sellers too that are increasing the prices because they dont have to. They buy the GPUs for the same price but because of demand but lack of shortage are able to get away with increasing prices.

Supply and demand.  This means miners are 0aying through the nose - gamers can afford to wait but miners can't so the only ones who get really shafted are the miners buying all the inflated price gpu's. 

Just now, Damascus said:

Miners won't care, they would still buy all the stock.  The 480/580 weren't exactly brand new when the mining crysis started so your "solution" would have had zero effect on the miners while making every low level prosper,  CAD/gamer, renderer/gamer etc. drop the card like a steaming turd in favor of one that wasn't gimped on launch

nvidia cards are gimped on launch, you're locked to quadro/ tesla for the features. They even removed the titan's advantage too. AMD could just temporarily  nerf the gaming cards and leave the versions like firepro and vega fe with the full performance.

1 minute ago, System Error Message said:

its the suppliers faults in that case... dont blame the people its not like they said "hey lets raise the price unrealistically high"

Current build.

I7-4930K     ASUS SABERTOOTH X79 MOBO     32GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM RAM    3TB HARD DRIVE

MSI LIGHTNING GTX 1080 TI    4 OPTICAL DRIVES      CORSAIR H100i V2      750 WATT CORSAIR PSU 

3 minutes ago, gabe54541 said:

its the suppliers faults in that case... dont blame the people its not like they said "hey lets raise the price unrealistically high"

im not blaming the people, everyones crying for a way for miners to not buy GPUs and i gave one possible solution. Retailers wont budge even if people complained or campaigned. If all suppliers raised prices they wont budge despite protests because they wont have any competition. At the very least nvidia lets you buy their titan GPUs straight from them as everywhere else sells them for more.

im not blaming the people, everyones crying for a way for miners to not buy GPUs and i gave one possible solution. Retailers wont budge even if people complained or campaigned. If all suppliers raised prices they wont budge despite protests because they wont have any competition. At the very least nvidia lets you buy their titan GPUs straight from them as everywhere else sells them for more.

Understandable Have A Great Day

Current build.

7 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

everyones crying for a way for miners to not

Lol, not me!  I am going to be the grim reaper of used 1070s,  I'm actually considering setting up a 4 gpu single slot watercooled deal just for the hell of it.  I mean, I can probably get em for 100 - 200 canadian a peice second hand so I may as well get a whole bunch :P

14 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

nvidia cards are gimped on launch, you're locked to quadro/ tesla for the features. They even removed the titan's advantage too. AMD could just temporarily  nerf the gaming cards and leave the versions like firepro and vega fe with the full performance.

Yes, and this is one of Nvidias most anti consumer practices.  YOU clearly don't care about the productivity aid of things and your solution won't help.  1060s still sold out, as did 1070s.  All this would do is cripple a massive market segment on the off chance that there will be a mining craze.

5 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Yes, and this is one of Nvidias most anti consumer practices.  YOU clearly don't care about the productivity aid of things and your solution won't help.  1060s still sold out, as did 1070s.  All this would do is cripple a massive market segment on the off chance that there will be a mining craze.

Ofcourse i do, thats why i said temporary nerf.

Ofcourse i do, thats why i said temporary nerf.

A temp nerf will obliterate the launch of cards like the 580, all the initial coverage will be negative and it would taint the card permanently 

Just now, Damascus said:

A temp nerf will obliterate the launch of cards like the 580, all the initial coverage will be negative and it would taint the card permanently 

"drivers still in works" :P

"drivers still in works" :P

Again, the entire low end producer market won't touch the cards and the entire generator will lose that market.

Just now, Damascus said:

Again, the entire low end producer market won't touch the cards and the entire generator will lose that market.

taking a leaf from some AAA game titles, release the game unfinished to screw with pirates, release a patch to make the game working.

taking a leaf from some AAA game titles, release the game unfinished to screw with pirates, release a patch to make the game working.

Again, anti gamer and anti consumer.

Just now, Damascus said:

Again, anti gamer and anti consumer.

not entirely so. Most common the game works partially acting more like a demo at first and many game devs are being pressured time wise too so while the action may be anti gamer or anti consumer the intent isnt. It just so happens that they were pushed for a release too early which coincidentally messes with pirates.

So an accidental low GPGPU performance on release with AMD patching it later on would coincidentally deter miners who want to start straight away rather than wait and also makes AMD seem like they are putting effort into it as well. When nvidia gimps their cards performance they dont say anything nor do they mention any possible future patches for that. The difference here is that the AAA game titles do patch the game for the full functionality/content while nvidia doesnt unlock any of the features/performance later.

On 8/9/2017 at 0:32 AM, PianoPlayer88Key said:

This!! Nerf the mining performance in gaming cards.  Price/performance for mining after the nerf should be the equivalent of getting 3-4 fps at 144p, lowest settings, in (1992) Wolfenstein 3D on a Quadro P6000.  Require a Tesla or Radeon Pro SSG for full mining performance.  A Quadro (or AMD equivalent) would be in-between - using the nerfed-gaming-on-pro-cards analogy: $/perf like 24-30fps at 720p medium in CS:GO or LoL on a Quadro P6000. :P

I am sorry but you mining noobs really are cute.   Ok, read my lips:

There.  Is.  No.  Way.  For. AMD.  To. Nerf.  Mining. Performance.   PERIOD.

All of you people suggesting this fundamentally do not understand how the crypto community or mining works.   The only way to nerf mining, would be to also nerf the card's gaming performance.   The second AMD added any "anti-mining" firmware would be the second a million Crypto programmers come together and write a new bios.

Not to mention you idiots are literally saying it's a good idea to disable one of the card's main selling points lol.  

The only way to fix this is for AMD to make MORE CARDS (And therefore more money).