Hold up

$900

For a 9590?

What the fuck was AMD thinking?

They weren't.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

They weren't.

It was actually $999 FYI.....the same as my AMD based 2010 Pavilion DV6 3010AX in its entirety.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

They weren't.

AMD: "Oh hurr durr let's launch a consumer-grade CPU for $900 seems like a great idea"

AMD had a stick up their ass if they thought anyone would pay $900 for that thing

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

8 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

People: My CPU that I delidded myself and overclocked is running hot! Intel fix this!

Intel: Well if you don't want it running hot then don't overclock it. Overclocking makes things run hotter. Also, please remember that overclocking voids your warranty, and so does delidding.

Media: INTEL TELLS CUSTOMERS TO STOP OVERCLOCKING!

People: OH MY GOD DID INTEL REALLY SAY THAT!?

It seems like the 7700K has some heat issue, especially when overclocked, but come on people... You can't overclock, complain about how hot the chip runs and then scream at Intel when they tell you that a chip runs cooler at stock.

Besides, overclocking has always voided your warranty, even with AMD chips. But neither Intel nor AMD has a way of checking if you have overclocked or not so it has (as far as I am aware) never come into play.

Quote from AMD Ryzen Community update #3:

Did people seriously not know this? Like, for real? People expected their warranty to cover overclocking too?

Just because you bought a processor that can overclock does not mean the manufacturer endorses it or cover it in the warranty.

Edit: And yes, some manufacturers will in fact cover warranty claims on products even if they have been overclocked. Those are fairly rare and exceptions rather than the norm though. One example of this is EVGA (or at least they used to).

Weren't Kaby Lake i7's reported to be runnning hot when overclocked back when they were released???  I think the bigger issue, if it is true, is that there are some i7-7700's and some non-OCed 7700k's that are being reported to spike up to near the thermal limit.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gamers-report-core-i7-7700-temperature-spikes.html

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It was actually $999 FYI.....the same as my AMD based 2010 Pavilion DV6 3010AX in its entirety.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8316/amds-5-ghz-turbo-cpu-in-retail-the-fx9590-and-asrock-990fx-extreme9-review

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-fx-9590-8-core-cpu-review_190566

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

Here, buy this CPU that is identical to a cheaper model but with the ability to overclock.

But don't overclock it. 

except the 7700k is quite a bit faster than the 7700 . But that's beside the point xD 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

It seems to have been buried, but for a short while it was effectively $1000 after the quiet launch...and before tech sites really picked up on it.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

except the 7700k is quite a bit faster than the 7700 . But that's beside the point xD 

7-10% higher clockspeeds for 12% more for the cpu + 50% more for an overclocking motherboard. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

10% higher clockspeeds for 12% more for the cpu + 50% more for an overclocking motherboard. 

I love Haswell...it doesn't care if its overclocked on a H or B series chipset (Asus H87M Pro in my case) because it doesn't rely heavily on the motherboard's VRM.

PMSL

8 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

AMD: "Oh hurr durr let's launch a consumer-grade CPU for $900 seems like a great idea"

AMD had a stick up their ass if they thought anyone would pay $900 for that thing

Well, it does replace the need for a furnace during cold winters, so...

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

Well, it does replace the need for a furnace during cold winters, so...

xgz9nkR.gif

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

The CPUs already cost quite a decent amount more than the locked versions, why not spend an extra probably less than a dollar to make sure they actually run alright OC'd, Intel?

Edited by Dan Castellaneta
A bit more context

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called 'de-lidding'). These actions will void the processor warranty. - Intel

Technically speaking, both AMD and Intel say the same thing.  No matter what processor you have (unlocked or otherwise), overclocking automatically voids your warranty.

10 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

The CPUs already cost quite a decent amount more than the locked versions, why not spend an extra probably less than a dollar to make sure they actually run alright OC'd, Intel?

Its not like there aren't alternative, long lived TIM that perform better. And they could maybe save some money over time by reducing the gap between the IHS and die, by reducing the amount of sealant used to fix the IHS to the package.

Edit: Fun fact, my i5 4440 idles far lower than my 4790K with the 4790K locked to 3.1GHz and HT disabled (plus the cache running at 3.1GHz).

PMSL

30 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Hold up

$900

For a 9590?

What the fuck was AMD thinking?

The Athlon64 X2 4800+ for Socket 939 was also $1,000.  I know, because I decided to "save my money" by buying the Athlon64 X2 4400+ at a slightly lower clock speed for only $500.

And I just finished reading through the thread, and realized @LAwLz beat me to it about AMD and Intel both voiding warranty on overclocking.

Just now, Jito463 said:

The Athlon64 X2 4800+ for Socket 939 was also $1,000.  I know, because I decided to "save my money" by buying the Athlon64 X2 4400+ at a slightly lower clock speed for only $500.

And I just finished reading through the thread, and realized @LAwLz beat me to it about AMD and Intel both voiding warranty on overclocking.

Only $500?? What a steal!

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Might as well release a statement that says "....Yeah we fucking give up, go buy an R5 1600 instead until we figure shit out for our next line up"

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, N1ghtshade said:

Why? That makes no sense. "Oh I have product X, which performs function A well but not function B. But Product Y performs function B well, but not function A, so Product Y is dead to me."

Maybe he uses function A more than he uses function B?

34 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Only $500?? What a steal!

At the time of Pentium Extreme Editions also being $999, it really was!

I was a "cheap" bastard and got the 4400+ myself; bloody thing lasted years! Had it until I gave the system to a friend before building an Intel E8500 system. Still kicking myself for not getting the Q6600 to pair with my 8800GTX :(

I miss the days of proper competition.  Even AMD's 3800 and 4200 budget chips could punch into Intel's EE CPU performance and exceed sometimes.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/1676/7

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Here, buy this CPU that is identical to a cheaper model but with the ability to overclock.

But don't overclock it. 

That's like a fire truck. Need firetruck to put out fire, but there is a sticker on the back that says, keep back 200 feet.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Might as well release a statement that says "....Yeah we fucking give up, go buy an R5 1600 instead until we figure shit out for our next line up"

Intel is gone. Unless they match AMD spec for spec, and price for price, AMD will steal half their market share within the next 5 years. Even then, AMD might gain more market share due to being way more forward leaning and nimble. Also, their marketing campaigns has been spot on lately.

Just now, Prysin said:

Intel is gone. Unless they match AMD spec for spec, and price for price, AMD will steal half their market share within the next 5 years. Even then, AMD might gain more market share due to being way more forward leaning and nimble. Also, their marketing campaigns has been spot on lately.

i really hope so, let the leapfrog game begin again. 

7 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Hmmmm...what can I say? Some people are going to be a tad pissed as they spent more money just to OC? On the bright side they have addressed the poor thermal perf of Kabylake CPUs...by making some people really pissed off xD 

Anyway, I don't think this will affect intel too much so...meh I guess? 

source: http://www.pcgamer.com/intels-tells-core-i7-7700k-owners-to-stop-overclocking-to-avoid-high-temps/?

Edit: Fuck, I'm 2 mins late :/ 

Second edit: Maybe not, looks like someone hasn't been following guidelines :P 

Way to get on WAN show

Just saying this again.

The Core 2 Duo E8600 was a 107mm2 die that was soldered. 

There is just no fucking excuse to use cheap ass TIM especially with margins as high as Intel has...

Intel just abused their market position to drive margins up even further and cheap out on the TIM while charging extra for an unlocked multi.

So glad Ryzen is competitive. We need it badly.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12