Which Windows operating system is the most hated in history?

Which operating system made by Microsoft is the most hated?  

418 members have voted

1. 1. Which one did you despised the most?

• Windows Me (Millennium Edition)
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
    • Some other Windows version/s (specify which one in the comments)

1 hour ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Which revision is your WD800BB?  I have a 32CAA0, dated 24 SEP 2001.  It was the first hard drive I ever personally bought, at some local trade show, iirc, in the early 2000s.  Interestingly, although it wasn't sold as "used" / "refurb", when I got it, it already had some other things on it. :o

I used that drive, mostly as a data drive (maybe briefly as an OS drive as well but I forget now) until sometime before or during 2012.  (I don't feel like turning my other PC on right now to look at the most recent datestamps of the files from a partition I pulled off that drive.)

Reveal hidden contents

Anyway, back in January this year, I plugged the drive into my PC (had to use a PCI-E to IDE/SATA card I had laying around), turned it on, and.....

https://goo.gl/photos/QFAUMHTsYJwwMQ677

Interestingly, though, about a month or two ago I plugged it in again, powered up .... I think it clicked once, or was about to, then it detected! :o Although, I think it showed as 00CAA0 or something like that.  This time it was on a slightly taller stack of books, and I may have had it and my WD2500JB-53EVA0 plugged in a bit differently on the controller / cable.

First thing I did was fire up Linux, and start copying the partitions with GParted to one of my 5TB HGST NAS drives I had plugged in (that I'd been copying a bunch of other things to.)  I got through the first two partitions fine (NTFS), then it hung up while copying the ext2 (iirc) partition, then both IDE drives dropped from the system.

On next bootup, the 80GB was clicking again.  I jostled it around a bit and got it working, but this time I started using other utilities (like TestDisk) to inspect partitions.  Although I could see stuff on the Linux partition, I was having trouble mounting it, or mounting another drive so I could restore.  Thankfully though, I didn't find anything of value in the /home/user folder (or wherever the Linux equivalent of "C:\Users" is, I forget atm.)

At some point I was fiddling around with partitions on the 250GB drive - IIRC, creating a partition, so I could benchmark it with CrystalDiskMark.  I'd someday like to do a comparison benchmark of general Windows/PC usage (not gaming), using various storage devices as swap drives in low-RAM systems - an IDE drive, 5400rpm SATA, 7200rpm SATA, SATA SSD, and NVMe SSD, the last of which I don't yet have, and see which is fastest (and by how much), for situations when you've already installed the max RAM your motherboard will support, and your board doesn't support Optane. :P  I'd just have only 2 or 4 GB RAM installed (or 8GB which is the size DDR3 stick I have times four) to make it easier to max out the RAM, for example with a few hundred Chrome tabs.

Anyway, in the course of that, booting up again, and the 80GB drive clicked again, and I haven't re-resurrected it yet.

-snip-

I'm not sure. Its the model with the standard black chassis, but a bare aluminium lid. Unlike the older all black models (which my Mum had in her old Celeron D desktop, and that WD800BB only lasted 14 months)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

55 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I'm not sure. Its the model with the standard black chassis, but a bare aluminium lid. Unlike the older all black models (which my Mum had in her old Celeron D desktop, and that WD800BB only lasted 14 months)

Ah. Do you know if it looks at all like this one (on the left)?

yvIogGsK0JshuUb8_55Yp536p0RMpKXyBkcxJpAFZx0vyZG5vTWUVSO7n3a70xVNXNCP_9AzsH2QDFVvV8zSvzLlNFfdTy16KxSQz9deEosD8wdr-SN-dJIeI4GE3JGu8jqabsgdzh-N6RtyWEZa4DsIfLrNbnxZXOK73dUiDmSHaY4-9ph1kswu1R3_HtxC1fzflrAs0Bl1hynWXd4ndhgvBFrsDa9XG8TddFtGDdeo_vOlFGRDrLVAiwHj1dluohavcJcgwXsmRP06NYiL9yMdr5m4jpmbMjJ9lLZOI8sd5S_CTPel7MVqQespJCicEbUQj_HvDR320ks4R9vkkKGWbuocPowU1NPES2XhP5C8gcYELwmckkWrjHTCJ6IldW-Y7AcaDK4joQ8P8yFTUnof2-SLz-T2DarvG35eQgrzVswmSnZx3q1gMJXbkshPytQ9pFy3J9QHGvOau8qSD56jYDJ4wo2od4KoqOmo8bUPbrFxoYOFWSwBYoNiaL-8Etm0k9Eis7Wge96mrX1PrCSEwtQRZb6cz_Sft3gSANWGKqum2lZ562bcmQOz0f1JjhVri0M5JGZxZS6VGcnR3ACXncRFrDU9TiPEuSU3dNp11-ExBSlT8WfN5ld_goL60BDxQRQG6Hf7SvCoeV_YWcK-fNOCcPPx8MFYirayKw=w960-h640-no

47 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

yvIogGsK0JshuUb8_55Yp536p0RMpKXyBkcxJpAFZx0vyZG5vTWUVSO7n3a70xVNXNCP_9AzsH2QDFVvV8zSvzLlNFfdTy16KxSQz9deEosD8wdr-SN-dJIeI4GE3JGu8jqabsgdzh-N6RtyWEZa4DsIfLrNbnxZXOK73dUiDmSHaY4-9ph1kswu1R3_HtxC1fzflrAs0Bl1hynWXd4ndhgvBFrsDa9XG8TddFtGDdeo_vOlFGRDrLVAiwHj1dluohavcJcgwXsmRP06NYiL9yMdr5m4jpmbMjJ9lLZOI8sd5S_CTPel7MVqQespJCicEbUQj_HvDR320ks4R9vkkKGWbuocPowU1NPES2XhP5C8gcYELwmckkWrjHTCJ6IldW-Y7AcaDK4joQ8P8yFTUnof2-SLz-T2DarvG35eQgrzVswmSnZx3q1gMJXbkshPytQ9pFy3J9QHGvOau8qSD56jYDJ4wo2od4KoqOmo8bUPbrFxoYOFWSwBYoNiaL-8Etm0k9Eis7Wge96mrX1PrCSEwtQRZb6cz_Sft3gSANWGKqum2lZ562bcmQOz0f1JjhVri0M5JGZxZS6VGcnR3ACXncRFrDU9TiPEuSU3dNp11-ExBSlT8WfN5ld_goL60BDxQRQG6Hf7SvCoeV_YWcK-fNOCcPPx8MFYirayKw=w960-h640-no

I had a similar hard drive back in 2004 with the same capacity but it's Seagate. 

• Single core Intel Pentium 4 
  • 512 MB memory 
  • Intel D865PERL motherboard 
  • ATI Radeon graphics (can't remember the number) 
  • 80 GB Seagate hard drive 
  • It has a CD-ROM and a CD-R/RW/DVD-ROM drives 
  • Dual boot Windows XP and Windows 2000 

I don't think dual booting Windows is still possible thanks to that pesky UEFI secure & trusted boot and also Microsoft being a dick by refusing drivers for newer hardware. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Neither-there seems to be a lot of different models:

The one I have: 

Spoiler

western-digital-caviar-blue-wd800bb-80gb

The one from my Mum's old desktop:

Spoiler

WD800BB_side.gif

Edit: Looking at what reviewers were using at the time, I need to do my own HDD benchmarks with my Abit VP6+2x Pentium III 1000. Though this is what I got with my PCIe IDE/SATA RAID card in this desktop

Spoiler

592fffb3c2e99_WDCWD800BB-00JHC0.PNG.3feefa54b9cea7d9cd1dfafb3806bfd7.PNG

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I've voted Vista, but only because there was no Windows95 option! Does nobody remember what it was like upgrading to that fucker? I lost weeks of my life trying to get Windows 95 installed and working on all kinds of machines... Vista was absolutely terrible, some might argue completely unnecessary, but I never again lost so much time... perhaps I just learned my lesson?

All of them

ƆԀ S₱▓Ɇ▓cs: i7 6ʇɥפᴉƎ00K (4.4ghz), Asus DeLuxe X99A II, GT҉X҉1҉0҉8҉0 Zotac Amp ExTrꍟꎭe),Si6F4Gb D???????r PlatinUm, EVGA G2 Sǝʌǝᘉ5ᙣᙍᖇᓎᙎᗅᖶt, Phanteks Enthoo Primo, 3TB WD Black, 500gb 850 Evo, H100iGeeTeeX, Windows 10, K70 R̸̢̡̭͍͕̱̭̟̩̀̀̃́̃͒̈́̈́͑̑́̆͘͜ͅG̶̦̬͊́B̸͈̝̖͗̈́, G502, HyperX Cloud 2s, Asus MX34. פN∩SW∀S 960 EVO

Just keeping this here as a backup 9̵̨̢̨̧̧̡̧̡̧̡̧̡̡̢̢̡̢̧̡̢̡̡̢̧̛̛̛̛̛̛̱̖͈̠̝̯̹͉̝̞̩̠̹̺̰̺̲̳͈̞̻̜̫̹̱̗̣͙̻̘͎̲̝͙͍͔̯̲̟̞͚̖̘͉̭̰̣͎͕̼̼̜̼͕͎̣͇͓͓͎̼̺̯͈̤̝͖̩̭͍̣̱̞̬̺̯̼̤̲͎̖̠̟͍̘̭͔̟̗̙̗̗̤̦͍̫̬͔̦̳̗̳͔̞̼̝͍̝͈̻͇̭̠͈̳͍̫̮̥̭͍͔͈̠̹̼̬̰͈̤͚̖̯͍͉͖̥̹̺͕̲̥̤̺̹̹̪̺̺̭͕͓̟̳̹͍̖͎̣̫͓͍͈͕̳̹̙̰͉͙̝̜̠̥̝̲̮̬͕̰̹̳͕̰̲̣̯̫̮͙̹̮͙̮̝̣͇̺̺͇̺̺͈̳̜̣̙̻̣̜̻̦͚̹̩͓͚̖͍̥̟͍͎̦͙̫̜͔̭̥͈̬̝̺̩͙͙͉̻̰̬̗̣͖̦͎̥̜̬̹͓͈͙̤̜̗͔̩̖̳̫̑̀̂̽̈́̈́̿͒̿̋̊͌̾̄̄̒̌͐̽̿̊͑̑̆͗̈̎̄͒̑̋͛̑͑̂͑̀͐̀͑̓͊̇͆̿͑͛͛͆́͆̓̿̇̀̓͑͆͂̓̾̏͊̀̇̍̃́̒̎̀̒̄̓̒̐̑̊̏̌̽̓͂͋̓̐̓͊̌͋̀̐̇̌̓̔͊̈̇́̏͒̋͊̓̆̋̈̀̌̔͆͑̈̐̈̍̀̉̋̈́͊̽͂̿͌͊̆̾̉͐̿̓̄̾͑̈́͗͗̂̂́̇͂̀̈́́̽̈́̓̓͂̽̓̀̄͌̐̔̄̄͒͌̈́̅̉͊̂͒̀̈́̌͂̽̀̑̏̽̀͑̐̐͋̀̀͋̓̅͋͗̍́͗̈́̆̏̇͊̌̏̔̑̐̈́͑̎͑͆̏̎́̑̍̏̒̌̊͘͘̚̕̚̕̕̚̕̚̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͠͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅ8̵̨̛̛̛̛̮͍͕̥͉̦̥̱̞̜̫̘̤̖̬͍͇͓̜̻̪̤̣̣̹̑͑̏̈́̐̐́̎͒̔͒̌̑̓̆̓͑̉̈́́͋̌͋͐͛͋̃̍̽̊͗͋͊̂̅͊͑́͋͛̉̏̓͌̾̈́̀͛͊̾͑̌̀̀̌̓̏̑́̄̉̌͂́͛̋͊̄͐͊̈́̀̌̆̎̿̓̔̍̎̀̍̚̕̕͘͘͘̕̚͝͝͠͠͠0̶̡̡̡̢̨̨͕̠̠͉̺̻̯̱̘͇̥͎͖̯͕̖̬̭͔̪̪͎̺̠̤̬̬̤̣̭̣͍̥̱̘̳̣̤͚̭̥͚̦͙̱̦͕̼͖͙͕͇̭͓͉͎̹̣̣͕̜͍͖̳̭͕̼̳̖̩͍͔̱̙̠̝̺̰̦̱̿̄̀͐͜͜ͅͅt̶̡̨̡̨̧̢̧̢̨̧̧̧̧̢̡̨̨̢̨̢̧̢̛̛̛̛̛̠͍̞̮͇̪͉̩̗̗͖̫͉͎͓̮̣̘̫͔̘̬̮̙̯̣͕͓̲̣͓͓̣̹̟͈̱͚̘̼̙̖̖̼̙̜̝͙̣̠̪̲̞̖̠̯̖̠̜̱͉̲̺͙̤̻̦̜͎̙̳̺̭̪̱͓̦̹̺͙̫̖̖̰̣͈͍̜̺̘͕̬̥͇̗̖̺̣̲̫̟̣̜̭̟̱̳̳̖͖͇̹̯̜̹͙̻̥̙͉͕̜͎͕̦͕̱͖͉̜̹̱̦͔͎̲̦͔̖̘̫̻̹̮̗̮̜̰͇̰͔̱͙̞̠͍͉͕̳͍̰̠̗̠̯̜̩͓̭̺̦̲̲͖̯̩̲̣̠͉̦̬͓̠̜̲͍̘͇̳̳͔̼̣͚̙͙͚͕̙̘̣̠͍̟̪̝̲͇͚̦̖͕̰̟̪͖̳̲͉͙̰̭̼̩̟̝̣̝̬̳͎̙̱͒̃̈͊̔͒͗̐̄̌͐͆̍͂̃̈́̾͗̅̐͒̓̆͛̂̾͋̍͂̂̄̇̿̈͌̅̈́̃̾̔̇̇̾̀͊͋̋̌̄͌͆͆̎̓̈́̾̊͊̇̌̔̈́̈́̀̐͊̊̍͑̊̈̓͑̀́̅̀̑̈́̽̃̽͛̇́̐̓̀͆̔̈̀̍̏̆̓̆͒̋́̋̍́̂̉͛̓̓̂̋̎́̒̏̈͋̃̽͆̓̀̔͑̈́̓͌͑̅̽́̐̍̉̑̓̈́͌̋̈́͂̊́͆͂̇̈́̔̃͌̅̈́͌͛̑̐̓̔̈́̀͊͛̐̾͐̔̾̈̃̈̄͑̓̋̇̉̉̚̕̚͘̕̚̚̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͠ͅͅͅͅͅi̵̢̧̢̧̡̧̢̢̧̢̢̢̡̡̡̧̧̡̡̧̛̛͈̺̲̫͕̞͓̥̖̭̜̫͉̻̗̭̖͔̮̠͇̩̹̱͈̗̭͈̤̠̮͙͇̲͙̰̳̹̲͙̜̟͚͎͓̦̫͚̻̟̰̣̲̺̦̫͓̖̯̝̬͉̯͓͈̫̭̜̱̞̹̪͔̤̜͙͓̗̗̻̟͎͇̺̘̯̲̝̫͚̰̹̫̗̳̣͙̮̱̲͕̺̠͉̫̖̟͖̦͉̟͈̭̣̹̱̖̗̺̘̦̠̯̲͔̘̱̣͙̩̻̰̠͓͙̰̺̠̖̟̗̖͉̞̣̥̝̤̫̫̜͕̻͉̺͚̣̝̥͇̭͎̖̦̙̲͈̲̠̹̼͎͕̩͓̖̥̘̱̜͙̹̝͔̭̣̮̗̞̩̣̬̯̜̻̯̩̮̩̹̻̯̬̖͂̈͂̒̇͗͑̐̌̎̑̽̑̈̈́͑̽́̊͋̿͊͋̅̐̈́͑̇̿̈́̌͌̊̅͂̎͆̏̓͂̈̿̏̃͑̏̓͆̔̋̎̕͘͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅZ̴̧̢̨̢̧̢̢̡̧̢̢̢̨̨̨̡̨̧̢̧̛̛̬̖͈̮̝̭̖͖̗̹̣̼̼̘̘̫̠̭̞͙͔͙̜̠̗̪̠̼̫̻͓̳̟̲̳̻̙̼͇̺͎̘̹̼͔̺̹̬̯̤̮̟͈̭̻͚̣̲͔͙̥͕̣̻̰͈̼̱̺̤̤͉̙̦̩̗͎̞͓̭̞̗͉̳̭̭̺̹̹̮͕̘̪̞̱̥͈̹̳͇̟̹̱̙͚̯̮̳̤͍̪̞̦̳̦͍̲̥̳͇̪̬̰̠͙͕̖̝̫̩̯̱̘͓͎̪͈̤̜͎̱̹̹̱̲̻͎̖̳͚̭̪̦̗̬͍̯̘̣̩̬͖̝̹̣̗̭͖̜͕̼̼̲̭͕͔̩͓̞̝͓͍̗̙̯͔̯̞̝̳̜̜͉̖̩͇̩̘̪̥̱͓̭͎͖̱̙̩̜͎̙͉̟͎͔̝̥͕͍͓̹̮̦̫͚̠̯͓̱͖͔͓̤͉̠͙̋͐̀͌̈́͆̾͆̑̔͂͒̀̊̀͋͑̂͊̅͐̿́̈́̐̀̏̋̃̄͆͒̈́̿̎́́̈̀̀͌̔͋͊̊̉̿͗͊͑̔͐̇͆͛̂̐͊̉̄̈́̄̐͂͂͒͑͗̓͑̓̾̑͋̒͐͑̾͂̎̋̃̽̂̅̇̿̍̈́́̄̍͂͑̏̐̾̎̆̉̾͂̽̈̆̔́͋͗̓̑̕͘̕͘͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͝͠͠͝ͅo̶̪͆́̀͂̂́̄̅͂̿͛̈́̿͊͗́͘͝t̴̡̨̧̨̧̡̧̨̡̢̧̢̡̨̛̪͈̣̭̺̱̪̹̺̣̬̖̣̻͈̞̙͇̩̻̫͈̝̭̟͎̻̟̻̝̱͔̝̼͍̞̼̣̘̤̯͓͉̖̠̤͔̜̙͚͓̻͓̬͓̻̜̯̱̖̳̱̗̠̝̥̩͓̗̪̙͓̖̠͎̗͎̱̮̯̮͙̩̫̹̹̖͙̙͖̻͈̙̻͇͔̙̣̱͔̜̣̭̱͈͕̠̹͙̹͇̻̼͎͍̥̘͙̘̤̜͎̟͖̹̦̺̤͍̣̼̻̱̲͎̗̹͉͙̪̞̻̹͚̰̻͈͈͊̈́̽̀̎̃̊́̈́̏̃̍̉̇̑̂̇̏̀͊̑̓͛̽͋̈́͆́̊͊̍͌̈́̓͊̌̿̂̾̐͑̓̀́͒̃̋̓͆̇̀͊̆͗̂͑͐̀͗̅̆͘̕͘̕̕͜͜͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅḁ̶̢̡̨̧̡̡̨̨̧̨̡̡̢̧̨̡̡̛̛̛͍̱̳͚͕̩͍̺̪̻̫̙͈̬͙̖͙̬͍̬̟̣̝̲̼̜̼̺͎̥̮̝͙̪̘̙̻͖͇͚͙̣̬̖̲̲̥̯̦̗̰̙̗̪̞̗̩̻̪̤̣̜̳̩̦̻͓̞̙͍͙̫̩̹̥͚̻̦̗̰̲̙̫̬̱̺̞̟̻͓̞͚̦̘̝̤͎̤̜̜̥̗̱͈̣̻̰̮̼̙͚͚̠͚̲̤͔̰̭̙̳͍̭͎̙͚͍̟̺͎̝͓̹̰̟͈͈̖̺͙̩̯͔̙̭̟̞̟̼̮̦̜̳͕̞̼͈̜͍̮͕̜͚̝̦̞̥̜̥̗̠̦͇͖̳͈̜̮̣͚̲̟͙̎̈́́͊̔̑̽̅͐͐͆̀͐́̓̅̈͑͑̍̿̏́͆͌̋̌̃̒̽̀̋̀̃̏̌́͂̿̃̎̐͊̒̀̊̅͒̎͆̿̈́̑̐̒̀̈́̓̾͋͆̇̋͒̎̈̄̓̂͊̆͂̈́̒̎͐̇̍̆̋̅̿̔͒̄̇̂̋̈́͆̎̔̇͊̊̈́̔̏͋́̀͂̈́̊͋͂̍̾̓͛̇̔̚͘̚̕̚͘͘̕̕̕̚͘͘̚̕̚̕͜͜͜͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅç̵̧̢̨̢̢̢̧̧̡̨̡̢̧̧̧̨̡̡̨̨̢̢̢̧̨̢̨̢̛̛͉̗̠͇̹̖̝͕͚͎̟̻͓̳̰̻̺̞̣͚̤͙͍͇̗̼͖͔͕͙͖̺͙̖̹̘̘̺͓̜͍̣̰̗̖̺̗̪̘̯̘͚̲͚̲̬̞̹̹͕̭͔̳̘̝̬͉̗̪͉͕̞̫͔̭̭̜͉͔̬̫͙̖̙͚͔͙͚͍̲̘͚̪̗̞̣̞̲͎͔͖̺͍͎̝͎͍̣͍̩̟͈͕̗͉̪̯͉͎͖͍̖͎̖̯̲̘̦̟̭͍͚͓͈͙̬͖̘̱̝̜̘̹̩̝̥̜͎̬͓̬͙͍͇͚̟̫͇̬̲̥̘̞̘̟̘̝̫͈̙̻͇͎̣̪̪̠̲͓͉͙͚̭̪͇̯̠̯̠͖̞̜͓̲͎͇̼̱̦͍͉͈͕͉̗̟̖̗̱̭͚͎̘͓̬͍̱͍̖̯̜̗̹̰̲̩̪͍̞̜̫̩̠͔̻̫͍͇͕̰̰̘͚͈̠̻̮͊̐̿̏̐̀̇̑̐̈͛͑͑̍̑̔̃̈́̓̈́̇̐͑̐̊̆͂̀̏͛̊̔̍̽͗͋̊̍̓̈́̏̅͌̀̽́̑͒͒̓͗̈́̎͌͂̕̚͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͠͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅS̵̡̡̧̧̨̨̡̢̡̡̡̡̧̧̡̧̢̫̯͔̼̲͉͙̱̮̭̗͖̯̤͙̜͚̰̮̝͚̥̜̞̠̤̺̝͇̻̱͙̩̲̺͍̳̤̺̖̝̳̪̻̗̮̪̖̺̹̭͍͇̗̝̱̻̳̝̖̝͎̙͉̞̱̯̙̜͇̯̻̞̱̭̗͉̰̮̞͍̫̺͙͎̙̞̯̟͓͉̹̲͖͎̼̫̩̱͇̲͓̪͉̺̞̻͎̤̥̭̺̘̻̥͇̤̖̰̘̭̳̫̙̤̻͇̪̦̭̱͎̥̟͖͕̣̤̩̟̲̭̹̦̹̣͖̖͒̈́̈́̓͗̈̄͂̈́̅̐̐̿̎̂͗̎̿̕͘͜͜͜͜͝͝ͅͅt̸̡̡̧̧̨̡̢̛̥̥̭͍̗͈̩͕͔͔̞̟͍̭͇̙̺̤͚͎͈͎͕̱͈̦͍͔͓̬͚̗̰̦͓̭̰̭̎̀̂̈́̓̒̈́̈́̂̄̋́̇̂͐͒̋̋̉͐̉̏̇͋̓̈́͐̾͋̒͒͐̊̊̀̄͆̄͆̑͆̇̊̓̚̚̕̚̕͜͠͝͝ͅͅơ̵̡̨̡̡̡̨̛̺͕̼͔̼̪̳͖͓̠̘̘̳̼͚͙͙͚̰͚͚͖̥̦̥̘̖̜̰͔̠͕̦͎̞̮͚͕͍̤̠̦͍̥̝̰̖̳̫̮̪͇̤̱̜͙͔̯͙̙̼͇̹̥̜͈̲̺̝̻̮̬̼̫̞̗̣̪̱͓̺̜̠͇͚͓̳̹̥̳̠͍̫͈̟͈̘̯̬̞͔̝͍͍̥̒̐͗͒͂͆̑̀̿̏́̀͑͗̐́̀̾̓́̌̇̒̈́̌̓͐̃̈́̒̂̀̾͂̊̀̂͐̃̄̓̔̽̒̈́̇̓͌̇̂̆̒̏̊̋͊͛͌̊̇̒̅͌̄̎̔̈́͊́̽̋̈̇̈́́͊̅͂̎̃͌͊͛͂̄̽̈́̿͐̉̽̿́́̉͆̈́̒́̂̾̄̇̌̒̈̅̍̿̐͑̓͊̈́̈̋̈́̉̍̋̊̈̀̈́̾̿̌̀̈́͌̑̍́̋̒̀̂̈́́̾̏̐̅̈̑͗͐̈͂̄̾̄̈́̍̉͑͛͗͋̈́̃̄̊́́͐̀̀̽̇̓̄̓̃͋͋̂̽̔̀̎͌̈́̈́̑̓̔̀̓͐͛͆̿̋͑͛̈́͂̅̋̅͆͗̇́̀̒́̏͒̐̍͂̓͐͐̇̂̉̑̊͑̉̋̍͊̄̀͂̎͒̔͊̃̏̕̚̕̕͘͘͘̚͘̚͘̕͘̚͘̚̚̚̕͘͜͜͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅc̴̨̡̢̢̢̡̡̢̛̛̛̻͇̝̣͉͚͎͕̻̦͖̤̖͇̪̩̤̻̭̮̙̰̖̰̳̪̱̹̳̬͖̣͙̼̙̰̻̘͇͚̺̗̩̫̞̳̼̤͔͍͉̟͕̯̺͈̤̰̹̍̋́͆̾̆̊͆͋̀͑͒̄̿̄̀̂͋̊͆́͑̑̽͊̓́̔̽̌͊̄͑͒͐̑͗̿̃̀̓̅́̿͗̈́͌̋̀̏̂͌̓́̇̀͒͋̌̌̅͋͌̆͐̀̔̒͐̊̇̿̽̀̈́̃̒̋̀̈́̃̏̂̊͗̑̊̈̇̀̌͐̈́̉̂̏͊̄͐̈̽͒̏̒̓́̌̓̅́̓̃͐͊͒̄͑̒͌̍̈́̕͘̚͘̕͘̚̕͜͝͠͝͝͝ͅǩ̴̢̢̢̧̨̢̢̢̨̨̨̢̢̢̨̧̨̡̡̢̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̜̥̩̙͕̮̪̻͈̘̯̼̰̜͚̰͖̬̳͖̣̭̼͔̲͉̭̺͚̺̟͉̝̱̲͎͉̙̥̤͚͙̬̪̜̺͙͍̱̞̭̬̩̖̤̹̤̺̦͈̰̗̰͍͇̱̤̬̬͙̙̲̙̜͖͓̙̟̙̯̪͍̺̥͔͕̝̳̹̻͇̠̣͈̰̦͓͕̩͇͈͇̖͙͍̰̲̤̞͎̟̝̝͈͖͔͖̦̮̗̬̞̞̜̬̠̹̣̣̲̮̞̤̜̤̲̙͔͕̯͔͍̤͕̣͔͙̪̫̝̣̰̬̬̭̞͔̦̟̥̣̻͉͈̮̥̦̮̦͕̤͇̺͆͆̈͗̄̀̌̔̈́̈̉̾̊̐̆̂͛̀̋́̏̀̿͒̓̈́̈́͂̽̾͗͊̋̐̓̓̀̃̊̊͑̓̈̎̇͑̆̂̉̾̾̑͊̉̃́̑͌̀̌̐̅̃̿̆̎̈́̀̒́͛̓̀̊́̋͛͒͊̆̀̃̊͋̋̾̇̒̋͂̏͗͆̂̔́̐̀́͗̅̈̋̂̎̒͊̌̉̈̈́͌̈́̔̾̊̎́͐͒̋̽̽́̾̿̚̕͘͘̚̕̕̕̚̚̕̚̕͘͜͜͜͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅB̸̢̧̨̡̢̧̨̡̡̨̡̨̡̡̡̢̨̢̨̛̛̛̛̛̛͉̞͚̰̭̲͈͎͕͈̦͍͈̮̪̤̻̻͉̫̱͔̞̫̦̰͈̗̯̜̩̪̲̻̖̳͖̦͎͔̮̺̬̬̼̦̠̪̤͙͍͓̜̥̙̖̫̻̜͍̻̙̖̜̹͔̗̪̜̖̼̞̣̠̫͉̯̮̤͈͎̝̪͎͇͙̦̥͙̳̫̰̪̣̱̘̤̭̱͍̦͔̖͎̺̝̰̦̱̣͙̙̤͚̲͔̘̱̜̻͔̥̻͖̭͔̜͉̺͕͙͖̜͉͕̤͚̠̩̮̟͚̗͈͙̟̞̮̬̺̻̞͔̥͉͍̦̤͓̦̻̦̯̟̰̭̝̘̩̖̝͔̳͉̗̖̱̩̩̟͙͙͛̀͐̈́̂̇͛̅̒̉̏̈́̿͐́̏̃̏̓̌̽͐̈́͛̍͗͆͛̋̔̉͂̔̂̓̌͌͋̂͆̉͑̊̎́̈́̈̂͆͑́̃̍̇̿̅̾́́̿̅̾̆̅̈́̈̓͒͌͛̃͆̋͂̏̓̅̀͂̽̂̈̈́̎̾̐͋͑̅̍̈́̑̅̄͆̓̾̈́͐̎̊͐̌̌̓͊̊̔̈́̃͗̓͊͐̌͆̓͗̓̓̾̂̽͊͗́́́̽͊͆͋͊̀̑̿̔͒̏̈́́̏͆̈́͋̒͗͂̄̇̒͐̃͑̅̍͒̎̈́̌̋́̓͂̀̇͛̋͊͆̈́̋́̍̃͒̆̕̚̚̕̕̕͘̕̚̚͘̕͜͜͜͜͝͠͠͝͠͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅI̵̡̢̧̨̡̢̨̡̡̢̡̧̡̢̢̢̡̢̛̛͕͎͕̩̠̹̩̺̣̳̱͈̻̮̺̟̘̩̻̫͖̟͓̩̜̙͓͇̙̱̭̰̻̫̥̗̠͍͍͚̞̘̫͉̬̫̖̖̦͖͉̖̩̩̖̤̺̥̻̝͈͎̻͓̟̹͍̲͚͙̹̟̟̯͚̳̟͕̮̻̟͈͇̩̝̼̭̯͚͕̬͇̲̲̯̰̖̙̣̝͇̠̞̙͖͎̮̬̳̥̣̺̰͔̳̳̝̩̤̦̳̞̰̩̫̟͚̱̪̘͕̫̼͉̹̹̟̮̱̤̜͚̝̠̤̖̮̯̳͖̗̹̞̜̹̭̿̏͋̒͆̔̄̃̾̓͛̾̌́̅̂͆̔͌͆͋̔̾́̈̇̐̄̑̓̂̾́̄̿̓̅̆͌̉̎̏̄͛̉͆̓̎͒͘̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͠ͅͅƠ̷̢̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̟̰͔͔͇̲̰̮̘̭̭̖̥̟̘̠̬̺̪͇̲͋͂̅̈́̍͂̽͗̾͒̇̇̒͐̍̽͊́̑̇̑̾̉̓̈̾͒̍̌̅̒̾̈́̆͌̌̾̎̽̐̅̏́̈̔͛̀̋̃͊̒̓͗͒̑͒̃͂̌̄̇̑̇͛̆̾͛̒̇̍̒̓̀̈́̄̐͂̍͊͗̎̔͌͛̂̏̉̊̎͗͊͒̂̈̽̊́̔̊̃͑̈́̑̌̋̓̅̔́́͒̄̈́̈̂͐̈̅̈̓͌̓͊́̆͌̉͐̊̉͛̓̏̓̅̈́͂̉̒̇̉̆̀̍̄̇͆͛̏̉̑̃̓͂́͋̃̆̒͋̓͊̄́̓̕̕̕̚͘͘͘̚̕̚͘̕̕͜͜͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͠ͅS̷̢̨̧̢̡̨̢̨̢̨̧̧̨̧͚̱̪͇̱̮̪̮̦̝͖̜͙̘̪̘̟̱͇͎̻̪͚̩͍̠̹̮͚̦̝̤͖̙͔͚̙̺̩̥̻͈̺̦͕͈̹̳̖͓̜͚̜̭͉͇͖̟͔͕̹̯̬͍̱̫̮͓̙͇̗̙̼͚̪͇̦̗̜̼̠͈̩̠͉͉̘̱̯̪̟͕̘͖̝͇̼͕̳̻̜͖̜͇̣̠̹̬̗̝͓̖͚̺̫͛̉̅̐̕͘͜͜͜͜ͅͅͅ.̶̨̢̢̨̢̨̢̛̻͙̜̼̮̝̙̣̘̗̪̜̬̳̫̙̮̣̹̥̲̥͇͈̮̟͉̰̮̪̲̗̳̰̫̙͍̦̘̠̗̥̮̹̤̼̼̩͕͉͕͇͙̯̫̩̦̟̦̹͈͔̱̝͈̤͓̻̟̮̱͖̟̹̝͉̰͊̓̏̇͂̅̀̌͑̿͆̿̿͗̽̌̈́̉̂̀̒̊̿͆̃̄͑͆̃̇͒̀͐̍̅̃̍̈́̃̕͘͜͜͝͠͠z̴̢̢̡̧̢̢̧̢̨̡̨̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̲͚̠̜̮̠̜̞̤̺͈̘͍̻̫͖̣̥̗̙̳͓͙̫̫͖͍͇̬̲̳̭̘̮̤̬̖̼͎̬̯̼̮͔̭̠͎͓̼̖̟͈͓̦̩̦̳̙̮̗̮̩͙͓̮̰̜͎̺̞̝̪͎̯̜͈͇̪̙͎̩͖̭̟͎̲̩͔͓͈͌́̿͐̍̓͗͑̒̈́̎͂̋͂̀͂̑͂͊͆̍͛̄̃͌͗̌́̈̊́́̅͗̉͛͌͋̂̋̇̅̔̇͊͑͆̐̇͊͋̄̈́͆̍̋̏͑̓̈́̏̀͒̂̔̄̅̇̌̀̈́̿̽̋͐̾̆͆͆̈̌̿̈́̎͌̊̓̒͐̾̇̈́̍͛̅͌̽́̏͆̉́̉̓̅́͂͛̄̆͌̈́̇͐̒̿̾͌͊͗̀͑̃̊̓̈̈́̊͒̒̏̿́͑̄̑͋̀̽̀̔̀̎̄͑̌̔́̉̐͛̓̐̅́̒̎̈͆̀̍̾̀͂̄̈́̈́̈́̑̏̈́̐̽̐́̏̂̐̔̓̉̈́͂̕̚̕͘͘̚͘̚̕̚̚̚͘̕̕̕͜͜͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅī̸̧̧̧̡̨̨̢̨̛̛̘͓̼̰̰̮̗̰͚̙̥̣͍̦̺͈̣̻͇̱͔̰͈͓͖͈̻̲̫̪̲͈̜̲̬̖̻̰̦̰͙̤̘̝̦̟͈̭̱̮̠͍̖̲͉̫͔͖͔͈̻̖̝͎̖͕͔̣͈̤̗̱̀̅̃̈́͌̿̏͋̊̇̂̀̀̒̉̄̈́͋͌̽́̈́̓̑̈̀̍͗͜͜͠͠ͅp̴̢̢̧̨̡̡̨̢̨̢̢̢̨̡̛̛͕̩͕̟̫̝͈̖̟̣̲̖̭̙͇̟̗͖͎̹͇̘̰̗̝̹̤̺͉͎̙̝̟͙͚̦͚͖̜̫̰͖̼̤̥̤̹̖͉͚̺̥̮̮̫͖͍̼̰̭̤̲͔̩̯̣͖̻͇̞̳̬͉̣̖̥̣͓̤͔̪̙͎̰̬͚̣̭̞̬͎̼͉͓̮͙͕̗̦̞̥̮̘̻͎̭̼͚͎͈͇̥̗͖̫̮̤̦͙̭͎̝͖̣̰̱̩͎̩͎̘͇̟̠̱̬͈̗͍̦̘̱̰̤̱̘̫̫̮̥͕͉̥̜̯͖̖͍̮̼̲͓̤̮͈̤͓̭̝̟̲̲̳̟̠͉̙̻͕͙̞͔̖͈̱̞͓͔̬̮͎̙̭͎̩̟̖͚̆͐̅͆̿͐̄̓̀̇̂̊̃̂̄̊̀͐̍̌̅͌̆͊̆̓́̄́̃̆͗͊́̓̀͑͐̐̇͐̍́̓̈́̓̑̈̈́̽͂́̑͒͐͋̊͊̇̇̆̑̃̈́̎͛̎̓͊͛̐̾́̀͌̐̈́͛̃̂̈̿̽̇̋̍͒̍͗̈͘̚̚͘̚͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͜͠͠͝͝ͅͅͅ☻♥■∞{╚mYÄÜXτ╕○\╚Θº£¥ΘBM@Q05♠{{↨↨▬§¶‼↕◄►☼1♦  wumbo╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ

9 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Which revision is your WD800BB?  I have a 32CAA0, dated 24 SEP 2001.  It was the first hard drive I ever personally bought, at some local trade show, iirc, in the early 2000s.  Interestingly, although it wasn't sold as "used" / "refurb", when I got it, it already had some other things on it. :o

I used that drive, mostly as a data drive (maybe briefly as an OS drive as well but I forget now) until sometime before or during 2012.  (I don't feel like turning my other PC on right now to look at the most recent datestamps of the files from a partition I pulled off that drive.)

Reveal hidden contents

Anyway, back in January this year, I plugged the drive into my PC (had to use a PCI-E to IDE/SATA card I had laying around), turned it on, and.....

https://goo.gl/photos/QFAUMHTsYJwwMQ677

Interestingly, though, about a month or two ago I plugged it in again, powered up .... I think it clicked once, or was about to, then it detected! :o Although, I think it showed as 00CAA0 or something like that.  This time it was on a slightly taller stack of books, and I may have had it and my WD2500JB-53EVA0 plugged in a bit differently on the controller / cable.

First thing I did was fire up Linux, and start copying the partitions with GParted to one of my 5TB HGST NAS drives I had plugged in (that I'd been copying a bunch of other things to.)  I got through the first two partitions fine (NTFS), then it hung up while copying the ext2 (iirc) partition, then both IDE drives dropped from the system.

On next bootup, the 80GB was clicking again.  I jostled it around a bit and got it working, but this time I started using other utilities (like TestDisk) to inspect partitions.  Although I could see stuff on the Linux partition, I was having trouble mounting it, or mounting another drive so I could restore.  Thankfully though, I didn't find anything of value in the /home/user folder (or wherever the Linux equivalent of "C:\Users" is, I forget atm.)

At some point I was fiddling around with partitions on the 250GB drive - IIRC, creating a partition, so I could benchmark it with CrystalDiskMark.  I'd someday like to do a comparison benchmark of general Windows/PC usage (not gaming), using various storage devices as swap drives in low-RAM systems - an IDE drive, 5400rpm SATA, 7200rpm SATA, SATA SSD, and NVMe SSD, the last of which I don't yet have, and see which is fastest (and by how much), for situations when you've already installed the max RAM your motherboard will support, and your board doesn't support Optane. :P  I'd just have only 2 or 4 GB RAM installed (or 8GB which is the size DDR3 stick I have times four) to make it easier to max out the RAM, for example with a few hundred Chrome tabs.

Anyway, in the course of that, booting up again, and the 80GB drive clicked again, and I haven't re-resurrected it yet.

Interesting.  So by "minimum", I've always understood it to mean, said software won't run at all if you're even 1 notch below that on any one part.

Reveal hidden contents

Right at the minimum, it would run, but the experience would be terrible.  (For example, playing a game at 256x144, with such low graphics settings that even if you're knifing someone as a spy in TF2, you can't even tell if they're a heavy or a scout - like some heavily compressed youtube videos or low bitrate twitch streams for example, AND peaking at like 5fps with your face in a wall, average being more like 2-3fps, battles dipping to <0.09 fps.)

Or is it possible that's what it used to mean?  Cause I've fairly recently heard of people benchmarking games on a bit less than the "minimum", and still getting 30fps at 720p low/medium settings (which would still be like "ultra high" compared to my previous example, for example seeing clearly to snipe/headshot someone across the yard on well or dustbowl without using the scope as sniper).

I almost wonder how well my dad's Dell D830 (Core 2 Duo T7250, 2x1GB DDR2-667, WD5000BPKT, Intel GMA GPU IIRC) would run Windows 10, or 7.  He still has XP on it, it'd be nice to get him off it, and he doesn't seem to be in a big hurry to replace the laptop.  I'm not so sure it'd be worth putting an SSD in it, considering its age, nor upgrading the RAM to 4GB.  (maybe 8GB, but support seems iffy at best from what I read online.)

My laptop (that I'm using right now) has a 6700K (started with i3-6100 then got the i7 last Black Friday for $260), 40GB RAM (started with 8, then bought 2x16 last October and within a week the price shot up), and a 250GB Crucial MX200 + 2TB Seagate/Samsung M9T, but only a 970M and no apparent upgrade path beyond a 980M, to like a 1060 or 1070 even though it uses an MXM slot.  Even so it does fine running WIndows 10 Pro, except maybe when I have too many tabs open & run up against the 40GB RAM ceiling. :P

Reveal hidden contents

592fc5e6b9213_ChromeTwitchlotsoftabs2017-05-310118a.thumb.png.f397377d1a96a7155f70eb9b04d6d196.png

592fc5e8f2400_laptop40gbranoutofram2017-05-180139.thumb.png.c36bb6cc0569f1076c57dc79789d1518.png

And that's before running all the VMs I'd like to run, AND I didn't have video editing software open at the time. :o I hope I can add all that workload on my next system (maybe when DDR5/PCI-E 4.0 comes out), without having to use swap or get a HEDT/server board. :/

A Core 2 Duo would run Windows 7 or 10, even 64-bit, just fine. And yes, an SSD is a good idea.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess the thing that makes me angry the most is knowing that Windows 10 it's really good, like man! In its current state, if you are honest, you have to see its a really good SO overall, they improved a lot of difficult areas really fast like the touch support. Which means is here to stay.... which means spying on us is gonna become reaaaaally mainstream... Personally I use o%o shutup, but with the time I'm sure it's gonna become more difficult to block their telemetry... Ugh. I so wish I could work with more alternatives rather than only Windows, I always feel a bit vulnerable only being able to work on Windows, I'd love to be able to jump between Windows, Linux and MacOS as I pleased being able to avoid the worst eras of the three of them... But I'm chained to Windows because the software unless I change my career which... not gonna happen. Damn it :/

15 minutes ago, Tiz said:

I guess the thing that makes me angry the most is knowing that Windows 10 it's really good, like man! In its current state, if you are honest, you have to see its a really good SO overall, they improved a lot of difficult areas really fast like the touch support. Which means is here to stay.... which means spying on us is gonna become reaaaaally mainstream... Personally I use o%o shutup, but with the time I'm sure it's gonna become more difficult to block their telemetry... Ugh. I so wish I could work with more alternatives rather than only Windows, I always feel a bit vulnerable only being able to work on Windows, I'd love to be able to jump between Windows, Linux and MacOS as I pleased being able to avoid the worst eras of the three of them... But I'm chained to Windows because the software unless I change my career which... not gonna happen. Damn it :/

They've become a lot more transparent with what they take with telemetry after the Creator's Update. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3190030/windows/windows-10-privacy-settings-whats-new-in-the-creators-update.html

You can now choose between 'Basic' and 'Full' telemetry, and they actually publish what the difference is and how much data 'Basic' takes. 

idk

• 1 month later...

IMO, I think the Windows 7 is the worst OS, as when the evalution period ends, the OS will change the background into black. Unlike Windows 8/8.1/10 , they just prevent the users from personalise and left a watermark

Context Matters!

Didn't have any problems with ME or Vista myself. Well, with ME it was the end of the 9x line anyway, and it had the 9x problems, but no worse. I was using it before making the switch to Windows 2000.

Vista also didn't give me any major problems. The extra background stuff didn't help, but it really wasn't much different than what we know as Win7.

Win8.0 gets my vote. The start screen thing. Who at MS though it was a good idea to cripple their cash cow, in the vague hopes of getting possible traction in the mobile space.

Win10 has its problems for sure, but it isn't as bad as 8.x. 

I'd ask a similar question: how many are using what OS now? Is all the hate for Win10 still real, or has there been a tangible shift since the time of its launch?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

• 3 weeks later...

For me it was windows 8. I had so many frustrating WTF moments when first using it. 

It was so bad microsoft was actually blamed for  declining pc sales after its release. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

4 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

For me it was windows 8. I had so many frustrating WTF moments when first using it. 

It was so bad microsoft was actually blamed for  declining pc sales after its release. 

No. The declining PC sales is actually about laptops and pre-built systems. The enthusiast portion of the PC market is actually growing.

I think it's best to look at the context of the times when Windows 8 came out before we start pointing the finger at Microsoft.

• The PC market was highly saturated and a lot of consumers I'd wager don't upgrade for at least three-four years.
    • Since it was likely lots of people skipped Vista and Windows 7 came out at the tail end of the recession, it was likely anyone who wanted a new computer probably bought one at the latter half of 7's life once they could afford it.
  • Smartphones and tablets were starting to take off, which started to become the dominant computer of choice for consumers to do their daily activities.

• 4 weeks later...

The oldest I have used was probably 95 (or one that looked like it with those grey-like tiles) when I was a wee baby-toddler. Then used XP. Didn't think of OS' at all at this point. We just played games (mostly LEGO Racers, Toy Story and eventually Half Life - where we essentially ran in circles) on them and that was it.

My first computer had Windows 7. I liked it. It just worked. I looked forward to how they'd innovate from here on out.

Then I got a Windows 8 laptop. Worst. Experience. Ever. Got malware that lasted for months (absolutely NOTHING detected it!!) - I stopped using the PC and converted to the mighty penguin. Also, that W8 sucker BSODed like MAD!!!! (I believed the malware came from a compromised ad inside a legal freeware pop-up)

Then Microsoft announced Windows 10 where they promised to dump or change all of the bad Windows 8 features like no start menu. This made me happy. Then they screwed us over with atrocious privacy settings and automatic reboots while you were working - even though I had PURCHASED RETAIL copies of Windows 8.1 PROFESSIONAL. I am a respectful and mature person and I understand their intentions in wanting their users to be secure from all threats - also understanding that one bad infected apple can spoil the rest. But whoever thought of implementing this idea was a dumbass.

1) Purchased and legal

2) Retail - more expensive

3) Professional version

The only way to disable this crap before Creators update was to buy the Enterprise edition which costs I assume hundreds-thousands of pounds and is only for businesses.

Reason 1 should alone be sufficient for them not to screw around with our PCs while we're using them. 2 and 3 just make it a joke. I'd reluctantly understand if it was for Insider Preview but it aint

So for clarification, from Windows 7, they've just gotten worse and worse.

But I have to use Windows 10 for gaming and work. Thankfully Creators allows us to PAUSE updates for up to 35 days!!! Though updating and not restarting should be a flippen option!

Windows isn't a bad OS. But where it is bad (when going against its penguin and apple competition), it is BAD.

Windows, for example, needs a centralised software manager like in Linux where you can automatically update all software at the same time. Out of date software that doesn't have automatic updates coded in by the devs is ground 0 for simple penetration testing/hacks.

And other reasons...

There are parts of 10 I like. But it's my worst experience of a Microsoft OS. I stopped using 8 for months until 10 was released because of the malware - but that was down to 1 malware and not intentional and terrible business decisions by Microsoft. They seem to be completely out of touch with their customers.

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2017 at 8:41 AM, TechQuest said:

IMO, I think the Windows 7 is the worst OS, as when the evalution period ends, the OS will change the background into black. Unlike Windows 8/8.1/10 , they just prevent the users from personalise and left a watermark

I think the changing of background to black only happens if someone installs a pirated copy of Windows 7. 

this-copy-of-windows-is-not-genuine-fix.jpg.8046fbe124defeab37a90bbfda6c0855.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Other: Windows 8 RT

Oh God, I bought a second generation windows surface with RT going off to college... worst decision ever. From being slow and completely locked down, to the new experience of windows 8 for the first time (after being well adjusted to 7), I was left with a horrible impression of tablets from my experience with that second generation surface. Even to this day I still have trouble accepting tablets even though I know I just had an unusually bad experience since I was a dumb consumer that didn't know what I was buying at the time. The only good thing about that surface was the mag-safe knock-off style charger it had.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

On 11/25/2017 at 11:51 AM, hey_yo_ said:

I think the changing of background to black only happens if someone installs a pirated copy of Windows 7. 

this-copy-of-windows-is-not-genuine-fix.jpg.8046fbe124defeab37a90bbfda6c0855.jpg

Nope. If its is unregistered no matter what it will do that.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

I actually used Windows ME to fix a laptop before... it was... yeah.  It was.  I mean, it worked for what I needed it for, but I wouldn't install it again.

Windows 8 was shit, but I actually really loved Windows 8.1, it's tied with Windows 7 for me.

I'm not a huge fan of Windows 10, but it works, so I don't complain to much.

Windows Vista though, I had a lot of troubles with that on our computer back in the day.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.