AMD Ryzen reviewers say: - Either experiencing weird results or not recommened for gaming

Okay so the first results are in from reviewers all over the world...

mega thread of reviews can be found here:  Mega thread

And frankly i'm quite scared about the results... Either it's not as good as we thought or it's some other underlying issues... optimization from game developers maybe? even though that to me seems a bit strange..

Here are some of the "qoutes" from different sites

Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/amd-ryzen-review/

Good, but not for gamers

You were this close...

Gaming isn't a strong point for AMD's fledgling architecture. For many, myself included, that is a massive disappointment

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3176191/computers/ryzen-review-amd-is-back.html

So what the hell is going on?

Presented with the most confusing CPU results I’ve seen in 15 years, I asked AMD what could possibly be the issue. I was given an updated BIOS, which had no impact. I was asked if I had a clean install of Windows, which I did. What about turning off the SMT? Umm, and why give up the performance? Was it my motherboard? The result of my using lower JEDEC 2133 RAM speeds vs. 2933? Not exactly.

I did test the Core i7-7700K at DDR4/2933 speeds alongside the Ryzen 7 1800X. While the 1800X jumped from 82fps to 136fps, the Kaby Lake chip went from 87fps to 181fps. I frankly have no idea why my gaming performance on Ryzen isn’t where I’d expect it to be. My gut says it’s some kind of plumbing issue with PCIe or somewhere outside the cores themselves.

I also ran Sid Meier’s Civilization VI’s AI test. It measures how long it takes to calculate between moves. The result was pretty much a tie (except for FX of course). So what the hell is going on? I don’t know. 

(For the record, Brad Chacos experienced similar baffling results in his own tests of the Ryzen 7 1700.)

Source: https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/245204-amds-ryzen-7-1800x-reviewed-zen-amazing-workstation-chip-1080p-gaming-achilles-heel

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X reviewed: Zen is an amazing workstation chip with a 1080p gaming Achilles heel

Now i just took a couple and there will be ALOT more... we are also waiting for linus to come with the review... - Let's just hope he dont brick the 2nd MB again that he just got from asus.. lol! But i'm kinda worried a bit.... But what u guys think... is it optimization issues or is the ryzen hype quickly going to fade away again... let me know, i want to hear what u guys think

Edited by TheRandomness
Fixed typo in title (wierd to weird)

3 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Why did people expect an 8 core/16 thread to be as good as a 7700k for gaming in the first place?

if you take a closer look into some of the result.. it even MASSIVELY underperforms under intel's 6800K - while other reviewers having the uppersit results... very confusing...

5 minutes ago, kladzen said:

Okay so the first results are in from reviewers all over the world... [...] Here are some of the "qoutes" from different sites [...]

That's exactly three reviewers. And somehow others (like Linus himself or AnandTech) come to other verdicts ...

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

In some reviews there is very high memory latency in Ryzen compared to Intel. This is clearly an issue.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

Just now, tlink said:

wasn't that the verdict for the i7 6850k too?

5 year old CPU's beating the RYZEN... you think that is normal??? while other reviewers having no issues at all??

Just now, kladzen said:

5 year old CPU's beating the RYZEN... you think that is normal??? while other reviewers having no issues at all??

what i was referring too was that i thought they said its a great workstation chip and not so much for gaming about the i7 6850k too

Well that's a shame. 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Just now, tlink said:

what i was referring too was that i thought they said its a great workstation chip and not so much for gaming about the i7 6850k too

Oh okay... its intended for both.... but mainly gaming i would assume...

But still the results are wierd... different people having massivly different results

5 minutes ago, kladzen said:

The R7 1700 runs at 3.2GHz by default, while the 3570K runs at 4.2 here on OC, and that's where I went "no fucking shit, Sherlock."

People expecting Ryzen to clobber CPUs clocked 1GHz higher when IPC on Intel's platform hasn't dramatically increased were going to be disappointed. I was expecting it to be on-par with Broadwell clock for clock, and to me, it seems to do that fairly well.

Let's also mention how he's comparing fucking The Division and Far Cry Primal and Ashes of the Singularity. Do people really play any of the three? No, not really.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

This is a side affect of having 8 cores and 16 threads, it maybe fantastic in content creation however gaming is a totally different story. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

2 minutes ago, kladzen said:

But still the results are wierd... different people having massivly different results

yea but there is not much use to speculate about it for now, might be a simple bios issue that can easily be fixed just like the rx 480 power draw issue that was massively overstated for how easy it was to fix.

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

This is a side affect of having 8 cores and 16 threads, it maybe fantastic in content creation however gaming is a totally different story. 

But still people are getting different results... can you explain that?? some reviews shows ryzen beating everything.. others having issues

1 minute ago, tlink said:

yea but there is not much use to speculate about it for now, might be a simple bios issue that can easily be fixed just like the rx 480 power draw issue that was massively overstated for how easy it was to fix.

I hope so.... It's a shame if ryzen is really having issues... but since some at least seems to be having awsome results i hope its fixable

Just now, kladzen said:

But still people are getting different results... can you explain that?? some reviews shows ryzen beating everything.. others having issues

This is normal. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

A few notes>

• Ryzen was never meant to beat Intel
  • Since when have 8c/16t chips ever dominate the much higher clocked 4c/8t chips?
  • If you want to see whether Ryzen is truly going to be dominated in gaming, wait for the R3 and R5 lineup.

Case closed

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

don't want to say this, but ... i told you so. at least everyone that i told not to hype ryzen so much like that

11 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Why did people expect an 8 core/16 thread to be as good as a 7700k for gaming in the first place?

Because of how heavily AMD was making out like the whole lineup was aimed at enthusiasts. Lets not kid ourselves.

Just now, DarkBlade2117 said:

A few notes>

• Ryzen was never meant to beat Intel
  • Since when have 8c/16t chips ever dominate the much higher clocked 4c/8t chips?
  • If you want to see whether Ryzen is truly going to be dominated in gaming, wait for the R3 and R5 lineup.

Case closed

Stop making excuses for them. They literally talked about how much better than they were than Intel's 6800k and 6900k. I guarantee you based on how this looks, the 6-core and 4-core chips are going to suck.

It's going to be Bulldozer all over again it looks like.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Because of how heavily AMD was making out like the whole lineup was aimed at enthusiasts. Lets not kid ourselves.

AMD compared Ryzen mostly with 6800k and 6900k, not 7700k.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

About all those "intel is in trouble" threads...

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, Mihle said:

AMD compared Ryzen mostly with 6800k and 6900k, not 7700k.

Wow I totally didn't know that

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Stop making excuses for them. They literally talked about how much better than they were than Intel's 6800k and 6900k. I guarantee you based on how this looks, the 6-core and 4-core chips are going to suck.

It's going to be Bulldozer all over again it looks like.

but they only spoke about it being better in things like cinebench and handbrake. next to no mention about gaming

18 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

for those 5 or so games that take advantage of it. lol